GoLocalProv Garbage Attacks URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Re: Garbage GoLocalProv article

Unread post by Rammgr »

If you were at the game vs Duke you would have seen Coach K on the refs the whole game. But when he does it's called "working" the refs. It's just he's got reputation so they don't have the balls to T him up. He had the refs looking at the replay every chance he got. Whined about every call against Duke. He's too good to have to do that. But he was short-handed so needed everything. Kind of like what mid-majors do every game because they don't have the Duke talent.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Cordischi is still listed as sports editor.
Right, also his lists that title on his twitter page. I would assume any complaints should head his way, as sports editor, right?

https://twitter.com/ScottCordischi

Yes, since we can't go directly to the author.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

"Garbage" and "GoLocalProv" is redundant.

This is just one more reason to go into the Dump and beat the Fryizz to within an inch of their lives.
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Click bait. Keep it moving.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Scott lists Brown U Director of Football Operations and "Works at Cumulus Media'
on his FB page. FWIW.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Cordischi is still listed as sports editor.
He was at Mohegan Sun Arena this past weekend as he still does Brown hoops games. I saw him coming in during the URI-Cinci game to get ready for the Brown game.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

What's GoLocalProv?
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
BleedBlue87
ARD

GoLocal Articles

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Well it looks like GoLocalProv has decided to trash URI athletics the next few days. Today they had an article about athletics and academic performance. Tomorrow they are having an article on the "ticking timebomb" of URI football. It's one thing to write articles examining an issue but these articles appear to be nothing more then just trashing URI athletics for some unknown reason. There is not a whole lot we can probably do about this but I would urge all Rhody fans to take a look at their advertisers and not shop there. I'm thinking I might even send an email to some of the advertisers saying I will no longer shop there as long as they continue to advertise on that awful site. I am going to paste today's article below. No reason to give that site more clicks.

SPECIAL REPORT: URI Athletics - The Best of Times and the Worst of Times

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

GoLocalProv News Team and Kate Nagle

Big expectations for URI
The University of Rhode Island’s athletic program is at a crossroads. While the men’s basketball team is ranked #21 in the country this week and is full of hopes of a return to the NCAA tournament, the football team has hit rock bottom. However, what hasn’t made any headlines is the academic performance of the school’s athletic teams.

URI football has recorded another down-trodden season on the field that included losing one game by a conference-record margin 84-7. The URI football program has not had any consistent success in more than three decades. Moreover, both the basketball and the football teams, like many of the varsity intercollegiate teams at URI, rank low for academic performance in their conferences.
GoLocal Review

Much of the attention on URI is currently focused on the men's basketball program, and the prospect that the talented team could return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1999, when the controversial Jim Harrick coached and Lamar Odom was the star on the team. The following year, Harrick was coaching at Georgia and Odom was in the NBA.

Meanwhile, URI boasts Rhode Island’s highest paid public employee – men’s basketball Coach Dan Hurley, who is just two games over .500 at 67-65 as a coach at Rhode Island, and earns $627,500 according to Wall St. 24/7. Hurley’s salary will jump to more than $1 million a year in 2017 – guaranteed. His in-conference record is 30-38.

The URI fan base has been desperate to return the winning ways of the past. The focus on men's basketball has overshadowed the decline of football and most every other aspect of the athletic program.
SLIDES: SEE HOW EACH URI VARSITY SPORT COMPARED TO ITS PEERS ACADEMICALLY -- BELOW

A GoLocal review of the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate performance for URI men’s and women’s teams unveils that the Rams were consistently among the lowest-ranked programs compared to their peer conference schools, according to the most recent year as published by the NCAA.

How does the NCAA measure academic performance and what is the Academic Progress Rate (APR)?

“The APR holds institutions accountable for the academic progress of their student-athletes through a team-based metric that accounts for the eligibility and retention of each student-athlete for each academic term,” as defined by the NCAA.

Of the 16 men’s and women’s varsity sports, URI teams rank at the bottom, or second to last, in their respective conferences for nine of 16 teams. By far, URI is the worst in the NCAA's "academic progress" rankings of any athletic program in the school’s conferences. (URI counts indoor track and outdoor track as two separate sports for a total of 18 programs, but starting in 2015, the NCAA began listing the Academic Progress Rate of both winter and spring track programs as one score.)

“You have to have a good investigation of the reports (NCAA data) — they’re critical,” said Bjorn in a phone interview with GoLocal. “It’s a four year average of eligible and retained athletes, i.e. bringing students back. Five years ago, we had a bad year for basketball. This year we could be tops nationally. One year can hurt your average. UConn missed their numbers and look what happened to them. We weren’t in the penalty phase [five years ago].”

In 2012, the University of Connecticut men’s basketball team was sanctioned by the NCAA for the team’s poor academic performance.

While URI has not been sanctioned, it is at -- or near the bottom -- academically for each sport in its conference.

URI intercollegiate teams play in two conferences. Men’s football plays in the Colonial Athletic Association and all other sports play in the Atlantic 10. The school offers just 16 NCAA intercollegiate sports. In comparison, cross-state rival Brown University offers 36 varsity sports.

Men’s sports academic rankings are more concerning -- four of the men’s seven teams finished last in their respective conferences in the past year.

“I don’t think there are issues with other teams. We always want to be near the top. What happens is each student can get 4 points — one if they’re retained and one for each semester they’re eligible, meaning you meet the requirement each semester,” said Bjorn. “You take all the possible numbers for the team and get an average. That needs to be at 930 or the penalties kick in. Again, you take the four-year average. If you have a tough year, you have to carry that year for four years and then it falls off.”

Winning and Competing

When URI Athletic Director Bjorn was hired in 2007, he said in an interview with the URI alumni publication QuadAngles, “We owe it to the student-athletes we recruit to provide them with all the tools they will need in order to get a fantastic education and ultimately be successful in life. Academics must come first!” Now, nearly a decade later, the academic accomplishments of URI's athletic program are by any measure uncompetitive.

In the same article Bjorn said about winning, “That’s why we are here. We don’t compete just to have fun. At this level, we compete to win.”

While URI has had some significant successes as of late, both winning -- and academic achievement overall -- have both been lacking in a number of areas.

On Wednesday, GoLocal looks at the URI football program, the costs and the potentially ticking time bomb.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: GoLocal Articles

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Lovely. It's one thing to bring light to numbers for healthy scrutiny, but another thing altogether to write an article for one purpose and with a clear negative slant throughout.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: GoLocal Garbage

Some good reading material from GoRhody just this past Summer. I think it's relevant.

Rhode Island Athletics Sets New Standard in Academic Excellence in 2015-16

KINGSTON, R.I. — Rhode Island Athletics set a new standard for scholastic excellence during the 2015-16 academic year.

With 41% of URI student-athletes - 185 in total - earning university Dean’s List honors, the spring 2016 semester was the best on record for the Athletics Department. The previous high was 37% - set during the spring and fall semesters in 2015.

“We are so proud of the incredible accomplishments made by our student-athletes this past year. They excelled where it matters most - in the classroom,” said Thorr Bjorn, Rhode Island’s Director of Athletics. “This type of success is a result of incredible support from so many: our amazing academic support team, our coaches, professors and university advisors.”

Overall, for the fall and spring semesters in 2015-16, the cumulative grade-point average for Rhody student-athletes was 3.00 - which is the highest mark since GPA data has been compiled. Among all Rhode Island athletics programs, women’s tennis posted the highest team GPA at 3.74.

Read the entire release here:
http://gorhody.com/genrel/releases/071816_acad

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

If GoLocal had any sort of journalistic integrity it would have written that the athletics department is headed in the right academic direction. Obviously this wouldn't fit with their main narrative of shitting all over URI...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My guess is the anti-URI pieces get a lot of hits from pro-URI folks, which is why they keep cranking them out. My advice is:

(•_•)
<) )╯Just
/ \

\(•_•)
( (> Don't
/ \

(•_•)
<) )> Click
/ \
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Another goLocal attack on URI sports today. Academics the topic. Unfortunately our pigskin disaster train wreck is an easy target.....

Friar town is coming after us hard.

No surprise.

Mods I'm begging ya please merge any subsequent threads into this one.
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
Good idea, Topics Merged
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: GoLocalProv Garbage Attacks URI

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Thx ATP.....one thread to fool us all!

Further proof how truly huge the game in the dump saturday night is.

Biggest PC game for us ever IMO.

Yep ever......

(Of course we need to win tonight in Indiana)

Friar town in full attack mode!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yeah considering the photo on the top of their Facebook page is a Friars logo, I would advise an unfollow to the page, avoid clicking on anything, and if someone would compile a list of sponsors to ignoring or shooting messages to I'm all about that.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

At least we learned that ace is alive and (presumably) well.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Don't get excited here about a news website that began with high hopes, but has floundered from the beginning. Just look at its snarky criticism of the Providence Journal as just one of many examples. Classy organizations don't talk about competitors in the petty way GoLocal does. PoJo may have problems, but they are a high level organization in both the print and electronic sides whereas GoLocal has degenerated into an electronic RI version of the NY Post or, worse yet, The Enquirer. Wake me up when they win a Pulitzer prize or any journalistic awards. In the meantime, they will mud rake to get attention. Just do what I have done - deleted the website from my bookmarks and never give them a click. I also poor mouth the site to unknowing people and have opened the eyes of several people to follow suit.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

That crap must have been written by the love child of Li'l Kevie and Five-foot-one Donaldson.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I asked Scott Cordischi about the G0Loco hit piece.
Here's his answer:
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

More from Scott on the GoLocal hit job

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

More garbage from GoLocalProv in today's whose hot and whose not. Cooley was mentioned in the whose hot with a jab at URI in the opening line.

http://m.golocalprov.com/politics/side- ... c.-16-2016
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I clicked...

"While the University of Rhode Island men’s basketball team is underachieving, Cooley has the Providence College Friars exceeding expectations up to this point of the season--racking up an 8-2 record in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. The Friars are using an impressive, physical, pressure defense to help compliment their offense that lacks the star power that it had last year. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about local basketball over the last several years it’s this: doubt coach Cooley at your own risk."

...so other can avoid it if they want.

While I feel that making the comment about URI isn't necessary, I don't disagree with any of this statement.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

The URI basketball team is underachieving....

Actually by a total of 6 points.

I'm still not clicking tho.....
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Close losses are losses.
Still the same old story.
Can't close out games, poor execution during
crunch time. Players playing too tight to perform.
The emergence of EC at the expense of Terrell and Garret,
and further stagnating the offense, is unfortunate.
The health of Hassan is troubling.
To some, these statements are defeatist and negative.
To others, it is the simple truth.
4 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Welcome to reality people ! Open your fucking eyes. You can say all you want but at the end of the day it can't be sugar coated any longer. Next season..endless excuses. I'm sick of this shit already. We are younger URI fans and have had season tickets for only 5 seasons. My wife and I both met each other and went to URI. I can't even imagine the frustration of some of the old time rhody fans on here. We currently travel 2 hours for every game from Massachusetts and this will be my last year coming if we don't dance. I will always be a hard core rhody fan till the day i'm buried.

The fact is we have issues and they need to be solved. I don't like people that don't take accountability and it seems to be a very common occurrence with this program.

Time to put up or shut up !
Last edited by MTK4L 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I mean, screw GoLocalProv, but he's not wrong.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That article is right on the money...like them or not......

It's rapidly getting to the point where more people need to put the heat on Hurley.......he's not getting it done and not likely to get it done imo...

The truth hurts.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x