Game 6: Belmont Bruins

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Re: Game 6: Belmont Bruins

Unread post by Shinze88 »

The defensive intensity was non existent tonight, guys seemed to be going through the motions and for the life of me I dont understand how Jarvis Garrett gets stuck guarding their center in the paint on at least 6 Belmont possessions?? Good to get this clunker out of the way because this effort will bring a loss on most nights.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If URI plays like this in the next game at Valpo, they will get smoked. Not a good effort tonight by most of the team. Martin and Garrett carried them.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Way way too polite closing this game out.....

The other team doesn't want to roll over then take the ball to the rack.

Bad job.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Pathetic final two minutes ruined an otherwise good effort.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not a good game heading in to a very tough four game stretch - @ Valpo, @ PC, ODU, and @ Houston. We may very well no longer be worrying about rankings in just ten days.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Wasn't able to watch the game but tried to follow it on my phone. Can somebody explain what the hell happened? EC and Terrell with 6 points each?! Good thing Hassan had his career high and Jarvis had his best scoring night of the season but what happened with everyone else???
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Should be talking about nothing but a dominant performance by Hassan Martin, but instead that game puts a terrible taste in my mouth. I'm not sure I saw us box out once, Belmont was grabbing offensive rebounds left and right. Definitely a hangover type performance. Gonna need a big turnaround to beat Valpo on the road.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

josephski wrote:Wasn't able to watch the game but tried to follow it on my phone. Can somebody explain what the hell happened? EC and Terrell with 6 points each?! Good thing Hassan had his career high and Jarvis had his best scoring night of the season but what happened with everyone else???
It's simple. Hassan was on fire and they had no one that can handle him...basketball 101, keep feeding him
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Finish a game like this on the road, and it's an L....wonder what's up with EC....doesn't seem himself.....

We seem to get lazy when we're not pressuring the ball......

We repeated the Brown effort [or lack of it] when it came to rebounding.....

I guess you can say we mailed it in late......don't think DH is happy......
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

josephski wrote:Wasn't able to watch the game but tried to follow it on my phone. Can somebody explain what the hell happened? EC and Terrell with 6 points each?! Good thing Hassan had his career high and Jarvis had his best scoring night of the season but what happened with everyone else???

Back to back bad games for EC. One could understand vs Duke. Tonight however was troublesome. He was invisible all night. Had just one basket from the field.

I have a lot less confidence in this squad heading into the next four games than I did last Saturday afternoon leaving Mohegan Sun.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Is he sick? Seems to be moving OK.....unusual especially since he looked good the first week.....

Our interior defense was gross in the 2nd half......I think we were focused on them bombing from outside, so we left the paint open for the taking.....

We did win though..... ;)
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hassan and Jarvis dominated on the offensive end all night. There aren't going to be many games where 3 guys can get 20+ points. Should they have stopped giving the ball to Hassan to dominate every single play with ease just so EC could get more shots and people wouldn't worry about him?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Finish a game like this on the road, and it's an L....wonder what's up with EC....doesn't seem himself.....

We seem to get lazy when we're not pressuring the ball......

We repeated the Brown effort [or lack of it] when it came to rebounding.....

I guess you can say we mailed it in late......don't think DH is happy......
Agree...EC hasn't seemed as sharp the last couple games...and I don't think it was just a question of him not getting the ball because Hassan was a rock star tonite. He just doesn't seem to be moving as well with the ball as he did the first games.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

EC might be having some knee fatigue.....playing several games close together right off the bat might be a little too much right now.....

I mean I'm sure he's rehabbed it a ton......but playing a lot of minutes in game situations is more demanding......
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:I really don't get what Hurley is doing in this game. The defense has been horrible giving up loads of points in the paint and the lineup at times has been rather strange.
I blame Hurley on the 20 point lead evaporating. He called for the switch on every play. They were switching at 25 feet. They didnt fight thru ONE pick the entire game and they didn't switch back ONCE the entire game. Horrible coaching. He never made an adjustment. Belmont had 16 of their first 19 points on layups (announcer was keeping track). Then the same thing happened in Belmont's run in the second half. Margin of victory matters when your goal is the tournament and rankings. Wake up Dan. You were totally out coached. Your "vaunted" defense doesn't look to good. Btw, Belmont was missing their best player.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....in the post game, coach talked about limiting the made threes, which we did, he spoke about giving ups twos and they could not beat us with just twos.....which I think gave up those points in the lane by Belmont....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I'll be interested in hearing the coach on the defense. they were able to isolate their bigs on our small guys throughout the game, especially in the second half. We seemed to be focused on cutting off their three-point game, at almost any cost. They ran a good offense; were well coached, reminded me of Davidson. We didn't seem to have too much of a spark defensively. Obviously Hass and Garrett were outstanding. EC seemed a little slow tonight.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hurley over coaching. Switching at 25 feet wasn't working. He never changed it up. He is acting like he has the less talented team and needs to pull off some great scheme. This isn't the team you had when Hass and EC were freshmen. You have talent and you have experience. Can't we just play tough D and not create 6-10 vs 6-1 mismatches. It was a joke.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

listen to the postgame UCH, he talked about wanting to limit the 3s meaning we may give up some 2's. He felt they couldn't make enough 2's to beat us. I personally would have preferred to stop the switching but if that was in the game plan then the players did what they were told.

Belmont was able to get back into it with the bench players in the game who played very carelessly. Hurley mentioned he was not happy with the bench which is why the bench did not play much tonight. He also was not happy with the defensive rebounding effort and talked about it being an uncomfortable film session for some guys
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......someone must have driven KMac to the game.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When EC and Terrell are having an off game, Hassan and Jarvis fill the void, that's what a good team does. We'll be okay, it's another W vs a solid squad and we're off to Valpo.
1 x
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

twisted3829 wrote:listen to the postgame UCH, he talked about wanting to limit the 3s meaning we may give up some 2's. He felt they couldn't make enough 2's to beat us. I personally would have preferred to stop the switching but if that was in the game plan then the players did what they were told.

Belmont was able to get back into it with the bench players in the game who played very carelessly. Hurley mentioned he was not happy with the bench which is why the bench did not play much tonight. He also was not happy with the defensive rebounding effort and talked about it being an uncomfortable film session for some guys
Yes Twisted i saw the comments after my post. Kind of figured that must have been the approach. I agree on the bench's play, with the exception of Robinson. IMO he should be getting more time with the starters. Obviously we need Langevine or one of the other bigs to come in off the bench an play well.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....don't know what the crowd size was, but looked to me more than I would have thought, especially in the student sections....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

4626 was what ATP post in the attendance thread
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

4600 and change. The offense doesn't create enough motion or movement to get easy looks. Time to buckle up, back to back road games coming up and will need to play at a higher level to win those games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:listen to the postgame UCH, he talked about wanting to limit the 3s meaning we may give up some 2's. He felt they couldn't make enough 2's to beat us. I personally would have preferred to stop the switching but if that was in the game plan then the players did what they were told.

Yes Twisted i saw the comments after my post. Kind of figured that must have been the approach. I agree on the bench's play, with the exception of Robinson. IMO he should be getting more time with the starters. Obviously we need Langevine or one of the other bigs to come in off the bench an play well.
Agree on the D...per DH remarks in the post game... geared to stopping the 3 and trading two's if necessary.
Am less concerned about the defense than EC. Time will tell...but, almost wonder if they consider giving him an occasional game, or at least some in between, days off...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hassan and Jarvis had the favorable matchups. Hass was too strong for any of their players to handle inside and Jarvis was constantly getting by his man, getting in the paint and either scoring or creating. They were both dominant and obviously carried us tonight. The bench needs to be better, and soon. If Dowtin, Thompson and Langevine can't give us some good minutes, our rotation will be shorter and our style of play will have to change. The idea is to get out and run on offense and play tough defense all over the court. We can't do that if our starters have to go 35+ minutes again. I have a lot of confidence in Robinson off the bench and Akele is ok. The other three have to get better. Not worried at all about the first 6 players and feel ok about the 7th.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Belmont shot 5-27 from 3. 18%. Coming into the game they had been shooting 44% from 3 and 5 made was their lowest of the season. Sure they sacrificed some interior defense and gave up some points in the paint. But the alternative may have been much worse. So maybe Hurley didn't adjust because it was a calculated risk. And until they went to the second unit, who let Belmont back in the game with some very poor play, it was working quite well as we were easily outscoring them when taking away the 3 pointer.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah maybe we were less focused cause Bradds went down.
We still got a 20 point lead on them and got pretty careless after that. And Belmont is a really smart team so you gotta give them some credit. They're also battle tested. They run some crisp stuff.
But our D was not up to par with the team of 2 years ago. More often than not this year. It's still November. Not too concerned. Especially since this one was never really in jeopardy. And we wanted Jarvis to get his groove on and he did! Big time!
And Hass...he's a beast. He will WRECK the A-10
Allie Cox is the only guy that can guard him in the whole league.
This was similar to the Brown game. And you see how we responded after that game... :)
We will need a cinncinati type effort on the road against Valpo.
5-1 baby!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm really surprised how people are reacting to this game. We played a team that should hover around the 100th team in the nation, so they're solid, they're well coached, and they have big game experience. Coming into this game, on offense the goal was to get Jarvis Garrett going. He had his best game of the year and we scored over 80 points. On defense, the goal was to limit their effectiveness from three. Hurley talked about it and we talked about it on here. We did it. There's things to work on for sure, but for the most part we did what we wanted to do, we won, and the game was never really in doubt.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm really surprised how people are reacting to this game. We played a team that should hover around the 100th team in the nation, so they're solid, they're well coached, and they have big game experience. Coming into this game, on offense the goal was to get Jarvis Garrett going. He had his best game of the year and we scored over 80 points. On defense, the goal was to limit their effectiveness from three. Hurley talked about it and we talked about it on here. We did it. There's things to work on for sure, but for the most part we did what we wanted to do, we won, and the game was never really in doubt.
I basically agree with all of this, but the last two minutes soured me on the whole night. And that wasn't the bench. You had EC get trapped on the baseline against the press three times in a row which is hard for me to understand, you had laziness on the defensive glass and stupid fouls. I hope that's the worst two minutes we play this year, or if we play two worse minutes I hope I miss them somehow.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Game was never in doubt..D strategy accounted for a lot...Hassan and JG were awesome. But, I think there has to be at least a 'little' concern with EC's play the last couple. Maybe it's nothing, but I'd rather see that than hear it.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

not concerned with EC after tonight at all
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A few comments on the recent post.
Belmont was shooting 31% from three this year not 40%.
Belmont was without Bradds there leading scorer (21 ppg) and leading rebounder (8 pg).
They lost by 14 to Vandy and by 18 to Florida on a neutral court both with Bradds playing.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

With 31 points tonight Hass now has 991 career points
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Saw us play in person for the first time this season,
courtesy of the legend, Milan.
I have to admit, it was a mixed bag, to say the least.
Anyone want to take shots at Jarvis Garrett?
He was superb all night long.
Great passes, shooting and filling the box score.
Hassan was a tower of strength under the basket,
all night long.
Iverson contributed well.
On the downside, Terrell playing so well coming into tonight,
had a down game.
About EC.
As I've said many times, nobody comes back after a year layoff,
and doesn't have some rust to shake off.
It's just the way it is.
He's moving alright, he made a couple of nice drives that
he didn't finish.
On the other hand, he seemed content not to force up shots,
and only took one 3.
Main concern is 3 points from the bench.
Robinson played a solid floor game.
Nobody else showed up.
Thompson's playing time seems to lessen by the game.
Dowtin has 3 turnovers in limited time, and looked tentative.
There is quality depth and depth in numbers.
So far, I'd say we had the latter.
This team needs contributions from the bench.
Another oddity was having Jarvis down low on defense.
Belmont almost always recognized the mismatched,
and exploited it.
As was mentioned, our inbounds plays are scary.
Something that needs work.
I think the next few games will tell us if we're
as hyped or not.
On to Valpo.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:A few comments on the recent post.
Belmont was shooting 31% from three this year not 40%.
Belmont was without Bradds there leading scorer (21 ppg) and leading rebounder (8 pg).
They lost by 14 to Vandy and by 18 to Florida on a neutral court both with Bradds playing.
You are correct, I misread the stat. They had scored 44% of their points from three, not shot 44%. And tonight they only scored 20% of their points from three. So actually that illustrates my point even better I think.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched a good portion of the stream and was happy to see Hass beva beast down low and now leads the team in scoring
Jarvis had his best game of the year and we need that solid play to continue
Nothing from the bench
Valpo will be that true road test we need. I will guess Valpo will be -2 or -3 we shall see
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Was worried about Jarvis's shot not anymore. Are EC and Danny smarter than most of us and in this game was EC supposed to take a backseat to hope to get Jarvis going. Jarvis shoots better when he guards the 5.... just kidding.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Like this statement from the Belmont Homesite review of the game........

"It would have been so easy for the Bruins to use Bradds being in civilian clothes as an excuse, as an opportunity to pack it in and call it a night against a team with Final Four aspirations."

Nice - like the sound of that "final 4 aspirations" :D :D

Belmont played without All American Candidate Evan Bradds averaging 21 ppg and 8 rpg. No wonder the point spread moved on some lines from URI favored by 5 jumping to 13, but not all vegas lines jumped from the original 5 points. Some betting lines knew and some didn't?

At any rate DH told us we would see a more efficient EC Mathews this year. Without Bradds in the game URIs game plan was to isolate Martin down low and did he ever deliver. Garrett also with his best game of the year. EC and Jared with low point totals of 6 points each. Maybe just smart basketball. Feed to the hot hands, go to where the mismatches are such as Martin with Bradds out. We have a lot of weapons this year, more depth. Don't have to rely on any one or two players. Favored by 13, won by 10, with the lead as high as 20. DH will review the film with the team and let his bench know he expects more out of them.

Meanwhile, we put Belmont in the win column and our only game this week, and remain in the Polls Since the season began - not too shabby.
http://belmontbruins.com/s

On to Valpo.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......Big picture take-a-ways.....EC will be fine, nice to see that Hass and Jarvis can and will contribute major offensive output, especially if teams over play EC to take his production away.....in the post game, I heard reference to 'higher level teams often have to get players to defer to others to get the team win....'I think that was the case last nite.....Dowtin had deer in headlights game(although I posted differently)with two lazy high school passes/TOS and weak defense.....Stanford needs more playing time.....afraid the bench will further shorten going into the grind out games against the upper tier A-10 schedule.....yes Rod, looks like bench depth in numbers not quality......the bench deepth will only show against the weaker A-10.....looks like we will have more grind it out games than the run overs I expected....the next four games for me feel like mini preview of the up coming grind A-10 conference schedule.....we will remain the the dance card mix.....the end of last nite game had the look and feel of just in bound the ball and pray for clock run out and fouls.....almost looked the coaches stopped coaching(ouch)....bench production needs to be stepped up....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Feeling better about EC after reading DH reference to wanting to get JG going. (Not a long enough drive home to hear the entire post game...I'll take it though). Good to see real scoring depth within the starting five. Seems they would need more from the bench to cover foul trouble against better teams...but partially offset by...they seem able to find a match-up within the starting five to exploit that's capable of carrying them for stretches...and not always with the same guy.

Trust in Hurley...off to Valpo.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

it's nice to see the scoring coming from so many different people. valpo at valpo will be tough
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rough game from the bench, but I'm not worried. They'll get chemistry and gel.

Don't forget they've essentially had zero practices since the season started. Let the schedule space out and give them practice time with the 2nd unit to run sets, etc and they'll be fine.

They've kinda had to roll the ball out there and play so far

Plus, like blueman said in the other thread. We are ranked, we're the hunted not the hunters
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Last 2 minutes against their press was scary. Would have been a lot easier if JT was not sitting on the bench after fouling out. The bench seemed to do well against Marist and Dartmouth. When the competition intensifies...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Speaking of the bench, what happened to Mike Laysard?
He was supposed to be a scoring big, who was our highest
rated recruit.
He's been MIA since the first couple of games.
Besides the "He's a freshman, and bigs develop slower"
standard answer.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

If anyone was wondering I highly suggest doing the "Be a student" promotion over winter break. I sat in row 2 of 109 for $10 and had a great view of the game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Hate to be Debbie Downer but this team is not nearly as good as most want to believe, me included. I would be more shocked if we won the next 2 games then if we lost both of them. I hope I am wrong but that is what my eyes tell me.

Why doesn't Berry play at all? When he plays, the offense runs much better. He is a good passer and sets good screens. Have no idea why he gets no run, but Langevine as a freshman is the first big off of the bench. Once again, Hurley ignoring the skill part of the equation when it comes to evaluating basketball players. He also has terrific hands and is a pretty good rebounder. This team needs more skilled players, not less. He should be in the rotation.

Agree with Rod about Laysard. He was billed as a stretch four, and if that is what he is, that is exactly what we need. We need people that can put the ball in the basket in a half court set.

Iverson and Martin are likely to be in foul trouble often, as we have already seen. One of Berry and Laysard needs to be part of this rotation based on this.

Our offense in the half-court is painful to watch. That has not changed. Our defense is a fouling machine. We have not played a true road game yet, yet we have had multiple players foul out of games and I would bet that we have shot substantially less free throws then our opponents. How do you think this defense will fare on the road?

And spare me the talk about how good Belmont is. I saw the game. They were without their best player. They are very well coached, I will say that. He kept them in that game.

The season is young and hopefully the team will improve and become what we all want them to be. But right now, they are far from that team.
1 x