Alex Murphy

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Alex Murphy

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

On the day Duke landed SF Jabari Parker, Alex Murphy played 3 minutes.....
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Alex Murphy

Unread post by reef »

Nice get by Duke in Jabari Parker out of Simeon High in Chicage same school as D Rose and Benji
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3 minutes in a 22 point win against Elon no less. Does not look too promising for playing time for him with ACC Conference Play starting up January 5th.
In 9 games so far he has played 3 minutes or less in 5 of them - ouch
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Alex followed this old adage - It is better to play for a great program getting little playing team than to play for a less than great program getting lots of playing time.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Heh... Alex can go for first-team all-ACC benchrider.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

A degree from Duke and National Championship ring or two will be a nice consolation prize.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

His brother at Florida is realizing his potential.
Having a great season, and is regarded as one of the best frontcourt players in the US.
Many of us knocked Billy for bailing out of VA when he realized he wasn't getting off
the bench, and passing on a superior education.
Maybe Alex Murphy is happy at Duke, and accepting of his role?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Let's also keep in mind that he's a redshirt freshman, he has 3 years of eligibility left.

I have no doubt Alex is going to be a solid player for Duke. Maybe he won't ever be the Singler 2.0 that they recruited him to be, but he'll be a big contributor eventually.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

So many people mocked Erik Murphy too his first few years. Now, he is going to be first team ALL-SEC and drafted in the first round. When you go to an elite program, you don't always get starter's minutes. Alex Murphy can play and will impact Duke before it is all said and done.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Keaney.Blue wrote:Let's also keep in mind that he's a redshirt freshman, he has 3 years of eligibility left.

I have no doubt Alex is going to be a solid player for Duke. Maybe he won't ever be the Singler 2.0 that they recruited him to be, but he'll be a big contributor eventually.
I agree with this, since if Duke wanted his 'ship, they'd probably tell him to take a hike. And even if you're a deep bench player at Duke, I imagine you're still going to get invited in to NBA camps, top Euro scouting things, etc.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Alex is a red-shirt freshman at Duke. If he transfers, then he'll only have 2 left after sitting out a year. His 5 year clock started 2 years ago.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

SI projected him as a starter. Not even close. And next year, his third at Duke, he'll be behind Parker. I think he will stick it out but I don't think this is what he had in mind.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Erik Murphy is certainly a player, every time I watch him he seems to play well, Florida has a great team
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Where's Clammy? He was convinced URI could attract the Murphys.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Murphy was at the Prout game on Friday night and wearing his Duke gear. I doubt he would be doing that if he was sour on the school or had thoughts of transferring. If he graduates from Duke he has the rest of his life on scholarship, not just his time as an undergraduate playing basketball.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most comments on the Duke Board indicate that Alex is not playing because of his defense. They feel the offensive game is there and Alex can fill up a stat sheet so it is up to the defense improvement to get him off the bench
Many posters feel that the Parker verbal is going to hurt Murphy's playing time next year and feel badly for him - but Parker is a likely one and done for the NBA but who really knows on that.
Alex Murphy was ranked 41st player. He is 19.5 years old, turning 20 in June 2013.

Surprised posters who filled up our board with Ledo postings, a guy we never serviously recruited, and thought that Baron should have signed Ricky would not think that Murphy would be signable since Murphy was much worse ranked than Ledo - 41 versus 3.
Baron could not sign high ranked players.

Today, hypothetically, it would be an interesting situation if Hurley was at URI and the Murphy's were in HS.

Does anyone seriously think that either of the Murphy's would consider URI with the Hurley's and Preston as Coaches?
Anyone seriously think that Ledo would consider URI with the Hurley's and Preston as Coaches?
Would Ledo have considered and verballed with URI as some thought Baron should have signed Ricky?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I saw Parker the other night.
He's about as one and done as Jerry D's big recruit, Andre Scott.
Only one game, but he did nothing. Pollard was more impressive.
We haven't had a really good Rhode Islander since Jeff Kent, and Tommy
Garrick before him.
Not exactly yesterday.
I'm not getting into hypotheticals, but if there's a top RI talent.
like Chrabacz, this staff will at least be in on him.
Did Baron EVER go to a St. Andrews' game in 11 years?
One note. Jay Murphy was a frequent visitor to Jim Harrick's practices.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

rodfromcranston wrote:I saw Parker the other night.
He's about as one and done as Jerry D's big recruit, Andre Scott.
Only one game, but he did nothing. Pollard was more impressive.
We haven't had a really good Rhode Islander since Jeff Kent, and Tommy
Garrick before him.
Not exactly yesterday.
I'm not getting into hypotheticals, but if there's a top RI talent.
like Chrabacz, this staff will at least be in on him.
Did Baron EVER go to a St. Andrews' game in 11 years?
One note. Jay Murphy was a frequent visitor to Jim Harrick's practices.
I put Tony Robertson into the top RI player category but good point.

Chrabacz absolutely loved Hurley I heard. Just hard to turn down Butler at this point, hopefully that changes in a couple years.
0 x
Jks1985
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Jks1985 »

what are you talking about rod?
you are forgetting Ricky Ledo... probably just as good as all the players you listed
i hate PC just as much as the next guy, but cmon...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"WE" MEANS URI!!!!
THAT'S what I'm talking about.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jks1985 wrote:what are you talking about rod?
you are forgetting Ricky Ledo... probably just as good as all the players you listed
He needs to play a game in college first, and it's hard to find people who think he'll ever be eligible.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Jimmy Baron might not have been born here, but he did play his high school basketball at Bishop Hendricken. He had himself a pretty damn fine college career at URI.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

SGreenwell wrote:
He needs to play a game in college first, and it's hard to find people who think he'll ever be eligible.
You mean it's hard to find URI fans who think he will be eligible.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

seanmc94 wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
You mean it's hard to find URI fans who think he will be eligible.
I meant press row, unofficially.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Technically, he's eligible right now for next season. Whether he can be patient and realistic enough about his future remains to be seen
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Sean, I know several PC season ticket holders that never expected him to play one game for PC, and still fell that way now. They are hoping that he decides to stay and at least play next year, it neither of them thinks it will happen.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I agree with Sean.....it seems he is on target academically if you believe his tweets that he got a 3.0 cum for the first semester....does he buy the hype driven about him that he is a projected 1st rounder in the next NBA draft....or more importantly do his family and advisors believe he can get guaranteed 1st round money next year without playing a game in college...

Being eligible and playing are two different things....I hope he plays for pc next year....I've never seen him play....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'm really pulling for RL. He seems to have put the immaturity issues that plagued him early in his career behind him. Selfishly,I'd love to see him in black and white. If he can go inthefirst round this year; tough to say no to $$$. However, if he plays for PC next year he could be a top 5 pick. He's that special a talent. Plus he will have proved he has grown up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I believe Ricky Ledo has a thread.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I agree with Rod that URI has not landed a good Rhode Island player in a long time. Jimmy was a very nice player, but that was kind of a slam dunk for URI. Though Baron struggled to recruit his younger son, as we know.
Rhode Island has produced some good prep school players in recent years but Baron was never seriously involved in any from what we can tell. Right, he never seemed to go after the St. Andrew's kids, or at least they didn't take him seriously if he did.
I think Hurley will be more involved. He is young and dynamic and has a good pedigree. As for Ledo, just because he Tweets that he had a 3.1 GPA doesn't mean I believe it. Good for him if he does, but I'd like to see the transcript.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The players from RI of note at URI over the last 20 or so years is a short list. Basically Jeff Kent and the Barons. The king of Boon Street (Steve Mello) doesn't make the cut. Sadly most all the good players from RI go out of state (Sanders, Robertson, Murphys, Marra, Mazzulla) to play for higher profile teams.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I don't count dinner table recruiting, as recruiting a RI player.
I'd like to see us at least involved with St. Andrews' kids.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think a lot of the problem is kids in RI don't look at URI, URI can contact them and talk to them but if they show no interest back why keep pursuing them?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:I think a lot of the problem is kids in RI don't look at URI, URI can contact them and talk to them but if they show no interest back why keep pursuing them?

You hit the nail on the head. Coach Baron, even with personal connections through his sons to both Murphys and Mazzulla couldn't get any real interest from any of them. They never seriously gave URI any consideration.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, we're not supposed to go after any RI talent, because of Baron's failure to succeed?
Wow!
Maybe, just maybe, they didn't want to play for Jim Baron?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I don't think it was Baron, Rod.....those kids went to BCS schools with football....they were looking for the "big-time" feeling....URI and pc couldn't give it to them...Baron wasn't dynamic enough to overcome the BCS thing.....time will tell if Hurley achieves that dynamic....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

RF1 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:I think a lot of the problem is kids in RI don't look at URI, URI can contact them and talk to them but if they show no interest back why keep pursuing them?

You hit the nail on the head. Coach Baron, even with personal connections through his sons to both Murphys and Mazzulla couldn't get any real interest from any of them. They never seriously gave URI any consideration.
They didn't really consider PC either -- they all had much better offers considering the state of the URI and PC programs at that time. One member of the Friars staff said at the time he didn't think Mazzulla was good enough to play there.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I have no problem with RI kids heading to lite programs over the local ones. Losing kids to comparable national programs would be an issue.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Recruiting is so huge now that big schools are going to find great players no matter where they play. I agree that showing a recruit a packed football stadium on a Saturday afternoon for a BCS showdown is hard to fight.
URI can show them Meade Stadium with 3,000 people sitting in the rickety stands. And then tell them that most of the in-staters go home on weekends to hang with their high school friends. It's a challenge. Rod is right in that Baron wasn't mush of an attraction, but with some winning seasons I think Hurley can at least give talented in-state kids something to think about.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The youngest brother is now in 8th grade and is already 6'6". I wonder if we're on him?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The problem extends beyond football. To most kids growing up in this state over the past decade, PC and URI basketball has been a joke. If a kid is any good, most of the time he wants to go where he can win, and it's a hard sell when they have lived in a place where college basketball hasn't been overly important and the teams collectively underperformed year after year.

If PC and URI were both good, and college basketball was rocking in RI, the recruits would stay. They would know how big basketball could be in this state, how much people could care. Instead, CBB is an afterthought, and this kids instead end up keeping tabs on UCONN, UNC, or Duke, or a variety of high-performing programs.

Look at where some of the local guys have ended up: Naadir Tharpe went to Worcester Academy, he ends up at Kansas. Erik Murphy - Florida. Alex Murphy - Duke. Mike Carter-Williams - Syracuse. Vonleh - Indiana. Seldon - Kansas. Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona. Nerlens Noel - Kentucky. I believe those are all Massachusetts and RI players from recent memory who left local guys to go play "big time."

Winning and making noise will allow these schools to continue to make a steady impact. If the Murphy's grew up with dominate URI teams, you don't think there would have been a great chance they both end up in Kingston near home?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I have to disagree. Best case scenario for the local programs IMHO is an NCAA appearance every 3-4 years. Mazzulla, the Murphys and MCW went to perennial top 10 programs. Maybe you catch a few more "local" talents that were destined for the next rung above PC/URI; but very few kids turn down Billy D and Coach K to stay home.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I more or less agree. You show a kid a rocking Cameroon Indoor or a packed house at Florida (plus year-round beach weather), it's hard to compete. I think both Hurley and Cooley are going to be hard workers in recruiting, but I'm not sure they can lure talents like the Murphys.
URI has been in a drought for so long. I think Hurley will end it and do a good selling job finding good players, even if they aren't the ones thinking about Duke and Florida.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep Tomas Murphy in Kingston !!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The equalizer to Cameron Indoor or the Carrier Dome is having a kid who grew up in the Ryan Center or at the Dunk, living and dying on every basket over the course of their whole life.

Joe Mazzulla wanted to be a Friar. He was practicing and scrimmaging with guys like Gomes and McGrath. He was hanging out around the facilities. That was a kid who enjoyed Friar basketball basically at it's peak and wanted to come, but Welsh passed. That is much of the reason Ledo stayed around, he was a local kid hanging out with local people and hanging out a lot with the players on the team. The birdies in his ear kept him bouncing around and breaking commitments, but he ended up at PC over Kentucky and others.

There will always be kids who chase the bright lights, but if the bright lights can begin to shine in RI (where there has been 1 NCAA appearance between PC and URI combined in the past decade), I think those programs can begin to make a presence in the region for the top guys closer to home. PC is at least getting glimpses now with Cooley around (Vonleh, Noel, etc.), but before 2011, they weren't even getting those glimpses. Winning consistently equalizes all else.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

It will take a special kid who has offers from BCS teams to stay in RI and play for a mid-major program....maybe once in a millenium....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:It will take a special kid who has offers from BCS teams to stay in RI and play for a mid-major program....maybe once in a millenium....
It does, but I think the problem over the past 10 years is that instead of investing time and energy into mediocre programs, they spend time getting interested in the big time programs on TV in March.

Heck, you can watch nearly every Duke, UNC, and Kentucky game on ESPN, regardless of what unknown part of the country you are from. You flip on ESPN some random Tuesday night and guarantee those teams are playing.

If a kid has an emotional investment in the team and dreams of playing in those colors as a kid, that is where the biggest impact can be made. The problem is, those teams have been so bad no one grows up saying "I want to be a Ram or I want to be a Friar." That connection doesn't exist, yet. Instead, they dream of offers from UCONN, Syracuse, etc.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Those are the once in a millenium kids.....
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Most of these kids don't even stay "home" to play high school basketball.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Especially in cases like the Murphy's where the father played for BC and the NBA. They grew up dreaming of bigger programs because that's how they were raised. (assumption)
0 x