Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RG, Iverson is very streaky, always has been, and likely always will be.....if he could play at a high level all the time, it would be a huge difference maker for us, but at least Dan has other options that he didn't have before.....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:"We however have never beat a ranked opponent in three consecutive years and that was what my reference was about."
Really? In 96-97, we beat Elite 8 and nationally ranked PC 96-79
97-98, UNLV and Kansas.
98-99 Utah.
Dayton was not ranked when we won last year.
I also think counting that terrible Nebraska team as a top ranked team,
when they cratered in that season, a bit disingenuous.

I stand corrected. It has happened ONCE before. UD was ranked in one poll. As for Nebraska
they were ranked when we beat them, regardless of whether they deserved it.

I will agree that best three year span i have ever seen was the late 90's with three straight ncaa bids.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Who was the ranked team we beat last year? Dayton wasn't ranked when we beat them at The Arena. They were ranked when we narrowly lost to them at home earlier.

Dayton had lost 2 of their last 3 before we beat them last year.
Dayton was unranked in the AP Poll, but they were 22 in the Coaches Poll when we beat them at UD Arena.
Reason # 123413453 to ignore the stupid coach's poll. I wish it didn't exist. How the heck were they still in that after losing 2 straight and beating crap SLU before we took them out?
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Good to have you back Rod!

It's always good to get reminded of the perspective that we've been missing for almost 2 decades.

It's wild to think that we were once at this level, but through those last 2 coaches I honestly don't think I thought we'd see it again.

Just a start contrast to how it was. In the late 90's you were only a few years removed from Penders and the magic of 88's NCAA run. You still had some sense of "belonging" in the national-level college basketball spotlight.

Most of us have actually forgotten what the late 90's was like, and when you compare what we're used to since BEFORE THE IPOD WAS INVENTED, these weekends are especially great.

Having a basketball program is fun again.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote:Good to have you back Rod!

..... since BEFORE THE IPOD WAS INVENTED

CLASSIC time-frame reference...great stuff... :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Thanks, Blue Man.
How's married life treating you?
I guess to some who didn't know Rhody ball before the Ryan Center,
it's been a long, joyless ride.
For those who can remember before the IPOD, there were some
pretty heady days then.
People also existed without looking at their phones every 5 seconds,
but that's another story....
Of course, always, when it seemed we were going in the right direction,
we shot ourselves in the foot.
Maybe we can finally avoid that, and keep the trajectory
heading upward?
That would be great.
One thing we have going for that is, Thorr and Dr. Dooley get the big picture.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

bigappleram wrote:
josephski wrote:
bigappleram wrote:It's crazy here, we lost to the #1 team in the country!
We lost today because we shot like crap for large stretches and committed 6 TOs in the first 4 minutes...not because of the refs....because our PG and star player gave us nothing, zilch...not because we played solely man-to-man...because Kuran was invisible...because we didn't make the extra pass today for some reason, yesterday we had 15 assists on 26 baskets, today we had 10 assists on 25 baskets....and because Duke is still f-ing good even without 3 potential NBA players. Their back ups are McDonald's AA's, and so are their backups. We belonged out there with them, we just did not execute at their level.

Other takeaways
-Hassan is going to dominate, but he has to work on his footwork and decision making after he receives an entry pass. He either gets rushed and travels or makes a bad pass too often.

-We need Jarvis to get going, he was a slow starter last season but we need more out of him to max out our potential.

-Terrell has cajones. He is a gamer, and right now has been our most consistent performer through 5 games. IMO he deserved All Tourney over Hass.

-Thompson is getting a lot of time, and to me needs to bring more offensively. I assume Dowtin being out last two games is dictating that.
Duke is not the #1 team in the country with the bench they had today. I'm not upset we lost just disapointed we played so poorly especially because there was a better national audience today than yesterday.

Also I really think Robinson should have played more today. I get that EC is our guy and having him out there helps take pressure off other players on offense but he completely disappeared today. 9 points on 7 shots and 4 rebounds in 34 minutes. EC's main value to this team is scoring, he needs to shoot the ball. Obviously we don't want to see a lot of games like yesterday where it takes him 17 shots to score 18 but we need him to take more than 7 shots against a team like Duke.
You're right, with their current roster they are probably more like #5-8. That same team lost to another sure fire Top 3-4 team in Kansas on a buzzer beater, so net net they are elite with whatever 5 Coach K trots out this year.

I agree on Robinson, but thing about EC is even when he isn't hitting he helps with spacing and draws attention. For my money, this weekend anyway, I would have taken minutes from Jarvis and CT in favor of more Stan.
Good point, I looked at the Kansas box score and Duke played pretty much the same roster with Kansas barely winning.

Also agree that maybe EC isn't the guy to take minutes from but I think you're right about Jarvis and CT. Curious what your thoughts or anyone else's are on Stan but I thought he looked like a way better athlete than Garrett and CT over the two games this weekend. I'm definitely not sold on his outside shot or really any jump shot he takes but he looks really good when driving. He also had a couple very nice passes over the weekend.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Stan is a better athlete for sure. Much higher rated in HS, no?

Jarvis isn't at full song right now, even before his injury. I'm sure it affected him a little yesterday as well.

CT is good, but he's likely to remain a role player during his time here.....

I think Dowtin and Fatts are going to be the real deal, maybe better than JG in the long run.....we will be absolutely loaded at the guard position next season if all return.....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That's the crazy part, we could return our entire back court.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll say what I've always said about Jarvis Garrett,
when people begin to question his value.
This kid is the real deal.
Maybe you forgot how he picked up the load last year,
busted face/mask and all.
He's a damned good player, and will prove it once more.
Tavoris Bell was the best athlete I ever saw at URI.
However, he sure as hell wasn't the best player.
It's amazing how everybody and his mother are going to be
better than Jarvis, when nobody has ever seen either play.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I'm not saying JG isn't good, of course he is......not trying to put him down although I can see how people might think that.....he will be fine....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

I agree Garrett is a great player and might be the toughest kid on the team. I just think Dan has to start giving Stan more minutes. I could be wrong but I feel like Hurley feels almost obligated to play EC, Terrell and Garrett the most.

I'm just curious why Hurley didn't give Stan more time against Duke. He wasn't shooting well but he was being aggressive and trying to make plays. Got to the free throw line more than any of our other guards and played at least 15 minutes less than all our starters.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Stan could shoot, I think he would get more minutes.....but he's been a great addition to the team....

Terrell has been a beast, but he could wear down playing 35 minutes a game.....JG and EC haven't been at their best lately, but I expect that to change and hopefully soon....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How could you POSSIBLY think Russell is going to be better than Garrett when he hasn't even played one college game? There is absolutely nothing you can base that off of.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jarvis probably has the biggest adjustment due to the return of EC. Terrell and Hassan just fall back to secondary scorer roles, which they are more comfortable in. Jarvis last season had to be a playmaker for himself, and at times carry us. Anyone remember the PC game? Now he is being asked to set up his guys, facilitate and distribute versus looking for his own shot. As a result he looks tentative and unsure when to look for his own and when to create for others. That's why he has looked like himself most in transition / running situations when he is going on instinct rather than thinking....in the half court he is thinking too much, that will fix itself.

Stan is great bc depending the game he can come in for any of the 3 guards. When forced into PG duties he did a very good job, but he also can lean in more to his slashing skills if he is playing on the wing. His only negative is he is not an outside threat, so he wont space the defense as well as Jared or EC do. But I dont think its Jarvis or Stan...we will not get to where we want to go without Jarvis becoming an All League caliber PG. And we wont get to where we want to go unless Stan is a major part of the rotation.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Garrett is the most technically sound player on our team.....and it isn't even close. Pushes the ball hard and strong, keeps the ball in the middle of the floor, drives well to the basket and has proven he can shoot. He is unselfish and all about team. Lays it all out on every play.

Jeez you guys are a tough crowd......
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:If Stan could shoot, I think he would get more minutes.....but he's been a great addition to the team....

Terrell has been a beast, but he could wear down playing 35 minutes a game.....JG and EC haven't been at their best lately, but I expect that to change and hopefully soon....
sorry, but what?

EC had 1 bad game...1 and that turns into 'hasnt been at his best lately, and hope it changes soon?'

he went into the Duke game averaging 20ppg on 57% FG and 50% from 3....
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
josephski
Tom Garrick

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:If Stan could shoot, I think he would get more minutes.....but he's been a great addition to the team....

sorry, but what?

EC had 1 bad game...1 and that turns into 'hasnt been at his best lately, and hope it changes soon?'

he went into the Duke game averaging 20ppg on 57% FG and 50% from 3....
He hit some huge shots against Cincy but overall didn't have that great of a game. He scored 18 but it took him 17 shots. Also had 0 assists over the course of the weekend.

EC is held to higher expectations because he is our best player. It's great that he put up awesome numbers against bad teams but we need him to be at or close to his best against the better teams.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want to see Jarvis penetrating a lot which will create dish outs for open 3s and easy baskets for himself. Also we need him to consistently knock down that open 3
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

josephski: spot on about EC....needs to play better against the better teams...can't really say it's rust because he put up good numbers in our first few games....

but yes, he WAS clutch late against Cincy, and we need to see more of that!
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Beating Cincy was huge. Cincinnati gets games like that from Evans and Washington and you still beat them! Huge win.

Its fun to have enough good guys that ppl argue over who should play. They're all good. Thinking Thompson's ceiling is a role player is foolish.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:josephski: spot on about EC....needs to play better against the better teams...can't really say it's rust because he put up good numbers in our first few games....

It was his 5th game in 9 days, which are also the first 5 games he's played in a year.

People don't realize a big part of coming back from a knee injury is getting your conditioning and stamina back. He is still recovering in that respect.

It's not an excuse, but he was clearly gassed yesterday
1 x
---
---
josephski
Tom Garrick

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:josephski: spot on about EC....needs to play better against the better teams...can't really say it's rust because he put up good numbers in our first few games....

It was his 5th game in 9 days, which are also the first 5 games he's played in a year.

People don't realize a big part of coming back from a knee injury is getting your conditioning and stamina back. He is still recovering in that respect.

It's not an excuse, but he was clearly gassed yesterday
Then why did Hurley keep him in and not give Stan or Thompson more time? We have depth at guard so I would assume if Dan thought EC was gassed then he would have given him more of a rest. It's not like we didn't have anyone on the bench to go in for him.

Also during the season is not exactly the best time for recovery and working on your fitness. If EC's stamina isn't great now then I'm not sure how it's going to improve over the course of the season.

Maybe you're right but if you are then it's Hurley's job to give EC a rest if he's too tired to be effective.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm just glad I finally got to see us play Duke live. I remember watching the NCAAT in Germany on AFN in 88 when we lost to Duke. Would have been nice for a little humble pie. Maybe next time.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

josephski wrote:Also during the season is not exactly the best time for recovery and working on your fitness. If EC's stamina isn't great now then I'm not sure how it's going to improve over the course of the season.
Obviously there was a timeline to his knee recovery that didn't give him a full off season. There is such a thing as playing yourself into shape. Ppl do it all the time on all levels if they have any time away from the season. Takes a couple weeks, then a few more for it to not even be a thought.

AGAIN, beating Cincinnati is a huge deal. 17 shots for 18 points? a point per shot isn't a bad metric at all. Nothing to comment about even in a vacuum. Knowing that he is coming off injury? working his way back? hasn't played in a year?

He just did his part to put away cincinnati and within the context that was big.

The team has goals DOWN THE LINE that are more important than beating #1 Duke in November. They look on pace to meet many of those goals.

Jarvis Garrett doesn't stay down long. He was the first player against Cincinnati to try and take it to them with the alley top he threw and the next possession going right at them again. Bench mark right now is URI taking care of business into the PC game and then beating them. Then you look ahead again and set another short term goal. All the time showing growth and maturity.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The tub issue could be affecting EC, coming back from injury, more than the others? especially with 5 games in 9 days...the schedule spreads out from now on...

Anyway, they should all be fresh by Friday....Dowtin hopefully will be able to contribute also.....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
josephski wrote:Also during the season is not exactly the best time for recovery and working on your fitness. If EC's stamina isn't great now then I'm not sure how it's going to improve over the course of the season.
Obviously there was a timeline to his knee recovery that didn't give him a full off season. There is such a thing as playing yourself into shape. Ppl do it all the time on all levels if they have any time away from the season. Takes a couple weeks, then a few more for it to not even be a thought.

AGAIN, beating Cincinnati is a huge deal. 17 shots for 18 points? a point per shot isn't a bad metric at all. Nothing to comment about even in a vacuum. Knowing that he is coming off injury? working his way back? hasn't played in a year?

He just did his part to put away cincinnati and within the context that was big.

The team has goals DOWN THE LINE that are more important than beating #1 Duke in November. They look on pace to meet many of those goals.

Jarvis Garrett doesn't stay down long. He was the first player against Cincinnati to try and take it to them with the alley top he threw and the next possession going right at them again. Bench mark right now is URI taking care of business into the PC game and then beating them. Then you look ahead again and set another short term goal. All the time showing growth and maturity.
A point per shot is a pretty awful metric. EC is a scorer. He's not an incredible defender, he's not going to be getting 5 or 6 assists a night, his main role is scoring. So if he shoots 29% from the floor and 66% from the free throw line it's probably not a great game by him. Yes he scored when we needed him too, just like he did against Brown, but that doesn't automatically mean he played a great game.

Also I don't care about EC having it bad game, it'll probably happen a several more times before the season is over. I just want to know if EC was actually gassed then why didn't Hurley use our bench more? EC played 34 minutes against Duke, could have easily given him 4-5 minutes more rest if he was that tired.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good point about Dowtin, hope his ankle is fully healed . I want to see him get some minutes
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI is a top 25 team, not a top 10 team - not yet anyways. EC is not back all the way - he'll be back for a 5th season. We had 6 TOs before we had 6 points. We have not jelled because we are so deep. We don't want to jell in November. DH is building a program, not a one year wonder.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote:
Mongo wrote:I hope that they really work out our lack of boxing out on defensive rebounds. Hassan has to be more selective on which shots he blocks, we are letting guys get offensive rebounds without any resistance. Need to box out more.
Great point. Noticed this multiple times (and yelled at the TV about it)...
Good points. At one time in the 2nd half I looked up at the stats (which the Mohegan Sun Arena does a very nice job of displaying for both teams) and Duke had 0 Blocked Shots and we had 7 Blocked Shots - yet we were down by about 16 points.
Martin did an outstanding job with the Blocked Shots, some were simply awesome. He also is blocking shots quite effectively without fouling. There were not too many Blocks that he attempted that he missed but the problem seems to be not blocking out. My guess is that 6-8 times following a missed shot, and sometimes partially blocked shot, that Duke got a relatively easy tip in or put back from the weak side. There was nobody home to block out the Duke weak-side rebounder. I am sure that this will be reviewed in the tapes this week.

I wondered if we should maybe try to block fewer shots, or be more selective, but my guess is the other 4 guys need to adjust to Martin and help him out more with boxing out and positioning to the weak side to prevent easy put backs.

Agree with Blue Ram that it was a great weekend for our team and his possible outcomes:
Best Case to Worst Case:
Beat Cincinnati - Beat Duke
Beat Cincinnati - Lose respectably to Duke
Beat Cincinnati - Get Blown out by Duke
Lose to Cincinnati - Beat Penn State
Lose to Cincinnati - Lose to Penn State

So to be 4-1 at this point is a good position to be in......could have been worse

We now need to beat Belmont, Houston, Valparaiso and Providence................I think a loss to any of these 4 teams will drop us out of the Top 25
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I would second that the Sun did a GREAT job of posting stats for both teams...can't recall being at a game where anyone did better at that. Losing one of those 4 is probably a very real possibility, as is dropping out of Top 25 as a result - not sure anyone would be stunned if that happened. Not a season-killer by any stretch of the imagination though.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really hope we can go 2-1 over those tough 3 road games. I am very worried about the Valpo and Houston games those will be hard games to win
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Okay, don't detroy me for this, but I don't think we should be losing a game until we play at Dayton. Sure there should be some good challenges, but if we are the team we think we are, we shouldn't be losing to these teams home or away. Gotta take care of business, win all home games and all away games vs. lesser teams. It's okay to lose one on the road to a top 50 team, but going out and losing to a team that will be mid 100's isn't going to keep us in the top 25. We have the horses in the stable, now it's time to expect to win. If this team stays focused we should cut through our schedule like a Ginsu* shreds paper!
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We could very well be an underdog at Houston.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
RI_Bred wrote:
Mongo wrote:I hope that they really work out our lack of boxing out on defensive rebounds. Hassan has to be more selective on which shots he blocks, we are letting guys get offensive rebounds without any resistance. Need to box out more.
Great point. Noticed this multiple times (and yelled at the TV about it)...
Good points. At one time in the 2nd half I looked up at the stats (which the Mohegan Sun Arena does a very nice job of displaying for both teams) and Duke had 0 Blocked Shots and we had 7 Blocked Shots - yet we were down by about 16 points.
Martin did an outstanding job with the Blocked Shots, some were simply awesome. He also is blocking shots quite effectively without fouling. There were not too many Blocks that he attempted that he missed but the problem seems to be not blocking out. My guess is that 6-8 times following a missed shot, and sometimes partially blocked shot, that Duke got a relatively easy tip in or put back from the weak side. There was nobody home to block out the Duke weak-side rebounder. I am sure that this will be reviewed in the tapes this week.

I wondered if we should maybe try to block fewer shots, or be more selective, but my guess is the other 4 guys need to adjust to Martin and help him out more with boxing out and positioning to the weak side to prevent easy put backs.

Agree with Blue Ram that it was a great weekend for our team and his possible outcomes:
Best Case to Worst Case:
Beat Cincinnati - Beat Duke
Beat Cincinnati - Lose respectably to Duke
Beat Cincinnati - Get Blown out by Duke
Lose to Cincinnati - Beat Penn State
Lose to Cincinnati - Lose to Penn State

So to be 4-1 at this point is a good position to be in......could have been worse

We now need to beat Belmont, Houston, Valparaiso and Providence................I think a loss to any of these 4 teams will drop us out of the Top 25
I get what youre saying about the blocks, but I want him blocking anything he can get his hands on. Considering most of his blocks are within 10ft of the hoop, that is way to high of a % area to let teams shoot and hope for a rebound.

So far, Ive noticed the rebounding issue is mostly because we are jumping out on the break too quickly. Instead of staying in and boxing out, guys are breaking up the floor before the ball is secured.
1 x
---
---
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Running Ram wrote:Okay, don't detroy me for this, but I don't think we should be losing a game until we play at Dayton. Sure there should be some good challenges, but if we are the team we think we are, we shouldn't be losing to these teams home or away. Gotta take care of business, win all home games and all away games vs. lesser teams. It's okay to lose one on the road to a top 50 team, but going out and losing to a team that will be mid 100's isn't going to keep us in the top 25. We have the horses in the stable, now it's time to expect to win. If this team stays focused we should cut through our schedule like a Ginsu* shreds paper!
URI is better heads-up then every opponent until they play Dayton.
But when you factor in home-court, they very well could be underdogs at PC and at Houston, with Valpo opening close to even as well.
Just purely looking at the KenPom percentages, there is a 4.69% of URI running the table until they play Dayton.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wonder what Ken Pom's numbers were on Indians-Fort Wayne?
Hope Ken Pom is better than Nate Silver was this year.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I think that was RJ's point, Rod. That's why they play the games. We may be favored in every game we play until Dayton. Doesn't mean we won't have an off night, or that some talented-but-under-performing team won't get up for us because we've got that little number next to our name. It is also uncharted water for this group of players - dealing with success. I think they're a group that is going to be able to handle it well.

I'm not one of the people who wishes we weren't ranked because then we could "sneak up on people" though. The team shouldn't be afraid of success, and all that comes with it.

So Running Ram - not "destroying you" for that by any means. I think in each game we will have a greater than 50% chance of winning, so therefore we "should" win each game. I'd expect us to lose at least one of them, and likely two. And that would be okay, because as we saw with Indiana last night, these things happen, even to very good teams.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

KenPom even injects losses into overall record because shit happens that his algorithm cannot predict.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

sf2010 wrote:I think that was RJ's point, Rod. That's why they play the games. We may be favored in every game we play until Dayton. Doesn't mean we won't have an off night, or that some talented-but-under-performing team won't get up for us because we've got that little number next to our name. It is also uncharted water for this group of players - dealing with success. I think they're a group that is going to be able to handle it well.

I'm not one of the people who wishes we weren't ranked because then we could "sneak up on people" though. The team shouldn't be afraid of success, and all that comes with it.
Agree exactly. I honestly think the Duke loss may help us avoid that "big head" that you can get when you're told that you're good. Just like after Brown, when Dan had to get everyone to regroup and remember you can't just roll the ball out and win - I think Cinci showed everyone we belong, but as Dan said, everyone tried to do too much.

That loss is and the "close" Brown game can become teaching experiences as well as great reminders that may help us avoid the "bad" loss by overlooking an opponent.

If we want to prove we belong in the top 25, we have to win those games. Not to say a loss at Houston or at PC (he vomited while typing) would be blemishes on our record - they certainly wouldn't help us. At least the pressure of needing to find a marquee win is off us.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ATPTourFan wrote:KenPom even injects losses into overall record because shit happens that his algorithm cannot predict.
Which is smart ... He could project that you win every game with a 51% probability, but if you play 30 games, your predicted record would likely be 16-14, not 30-0, due to the fact those games are virtual tossups.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we will be a slight dog at Valpo
0 x
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Reread on this was fun. Giving the thread a bump. EC will not be gassed in this game. I think this years URI team beats last years URI team. Is Duke that much better than last year also? Last year Duke also went down in the 7/2 game vs South Carolina...

I know there are a lot of differences, but I think our guys know they did not give Duke their best game before. Confidence will not be a problem!
3 x
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: