Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Shinze88 wrote:Hurley wont play zone, i'm not sure why, every team we play has thrown a zone at us for some portion of the game. Our defensive strategy is to overplay the ball regardless of where we are on the court and it leads to foul trouble, easy buckets and the opponent shooting in the bonus half way into the half. Playing straight pressure aggressive man defense is ok against teams like Marist or Brown where our athleticism takes over. Duke shredded our D whenever they needed a score to stop a run. No reason we cant switch up our defense and give a different look once in a while.
Dan's defensive strategy is obviously to force tempo through intense on-the-ball defense, to not ever allow the opponent to feel comfortable running offense. That is his philosophy, take it or leave it. I am sure at times we will go to zone, if necessary, but do you know what Duke would do to a zone being played by a team that is not excellent at it. Would have been shooting practice for Kennard and Allen.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Have to admit I am shocked at how many wide open shots we missed.

On to Belmont and then the biggest game of the year.
We already played our biggest game of the year, and we won.
PC is our 2nd most impt OOC game, and only bc of perception. Houston and Valpo on the road will likely be similar degrees of difficulty.
Absolutely, Cincinnati was far more important, and we passed that test.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's crazy here, we lost to the #1 team in the country!
We lost today because we shot like crap for large stretches and committed 6 TOs in the first 4 minutes...not because of the refs....because our PG and star player gave us nothing, zilch...not because we played solely man-to-man...because Kuran was invisible...because we didn't make the extra pass today for some reason, yesterday we had 15 assists on 26 baskets, today we had 10 assists on 25 baskets....and because Duke is still f-ing good even without 3 potential NBA players. Their back ups are McDonald's AA's, and so are their backups. We belonged out there with them, we just did not execute at their level.

Other takeaways
-Hassan is going to dominate, but he has to work on his footwork and decision making after he receives an entry pass. He either gets rushed and travels or makes a bad pass too often.

-We need Jarvis to get going, he was a slow starter last season but we need more out of him to max out our potential.

-Terrell has cajones. He is a gamer, and right now has been our most consistent performer through 5 games. IMO he deserved All Tourney over Hass.

-Thompson is getting a lot of time, and to me needs to bring more offensively. I assume Dowtin being out last two games is dictating that.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:This weekend showed how much rhody struggles to score against a zone. At least that was my takeaway. We have so many slashers it just doesnt fit us well. Im sure it is something they will work on.

Also I think it shows our 20-25 ranking is about right.
Heh? We put up 76 points against Cincy who played zone the entire game.
And Duke played man-to-man all but 2-3 possessions.
yeah i rewatched a bit and i was defintely wrong. we took a lot of weird mid range jumpers when they were in man.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ah, you know the basketball season is back in full swing when we lose a game and everyone starts calling for us to play more zone. Feels good.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

adam914 wrote:Ah, you know the basketball season is back in full swing when we lose a game and everyone starts calling for us to play more zone. Feels good.
I dont think anyone is calling for us to play more zone, were calling for us to play any zone.

We also know how Dan Hurley wants this team to play defense and he's not going to change now, we are what we are on defense, I just have a hard time calling our defense "elite" with the style we play.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I think one of the issues with the intensive defensive Dan wants to play which I love but he doesn't rotate his players enough. He obviously gets the guys he trust and rides then until the tank is empty and even then leaves them in the game sometimes.

Besides that, great weekend and great season ahead!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Pls help me understand what a Zone would have done today? Give a couple great shooters (Allen & Kennard) wide open looks. Made it more difficult to find guys to box out and rebound effectively? Duke's only potential flaw is the lack of a true PG, so should we have laid back in a zone to make it easier on that potential weakness? I just don't see the rationale.

Check the game stats, they are basically identical across the board. They hit 3 more threes and that is basically the difference in the game, across every major category we played them even. I just dont understand why we are second guessing anything after we played like crap offensively and lost by 10 to a Top 5 team.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I would offer that we recruit, teach, and develop players to have a defensive attitude that gives us the best chance to be seen successful in the A-10.....and then dance....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Duke had 3 guys who combined made 221 3 pointers last year, along with a freshman who is 9-19 so far this season. They also are all over 6-5. But yeah lets drop into a zone. I bet they'd never be able to get a shot off over Jarvis Garrett.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Duke had 3 guys who combined made 221 3 pointers last year, along with a freshman who is 9-19 so far this season. They also are all over 6-5. But yeah lets drop into a zone. I bet they'd never be able to get a shot off over Jarvis Garrett.
Totally agree...silly to consider at all today. "Maybe" another day...but definitely not this one.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

My 2 cents...although it's probably only worth half that.

1) For those of you who think Duke would've carved up a URI zone defense, you are 100% correct. To even throw it in as a "change-up" would be self-destructive. URI is not a zone-defensive team and Duke is a great shooting team. If URI had played a zone, Jones/Allen/Kennard would've gotten comfortable getting their feet set and it would've been a shooting gallery. You think Coach K. was born yesterday? Zone would've been disaster. Only Kennard shot well from outside today. Only hope for Rhody was to wear out Duke with a tough man-to-man defense. The problem...

2) Duke's men are better than URI's men. Back to back games I think somewhat negates the fatigue factor. I think both teams' legs were weak. URI had a battle vs. Cincy the day before...and Duke is missing 3 studs. If Duke is fully loaded, yikes.

3) Somebody mentioned that URI's offense was tough to watch. I have been harping on that for a while now. Dan has the kids playing hard, communicate on D, has recruited well...but Dan's offensive "system" is so pedestrian. URI can get away with their stand-around/1-vs-1 offense against inferior competition (Brown, Marist, Duquesne, Fordham, etc.), but they make it very hard on themselves to beat good teams consistently, especially in half-court games. The ball movement and screening and side-to-side action to make other teams' defenses work is just not there. Yes, they beat Cincy. But I'm talking consistently. Gonna have a hard time winning against top-notch competition, especially in March.

4) Iverson and Matthews...disappointing today. I didn't even know they were on the court at times. To EC's defense, I don't see much action away from the ball to get him open or catch on the move. But those guys were not only outplayed but they were outworked by Duke's guys who were playing 40 minutes.

5) Stop complaining about Vitale. He is what he is...deal with it. He's been the same for 30 years. He raves about Duke, I get it. (Honestly, there is a lot to rave about though.) And he talks about other teams, players, and games during the game he's supposed to be analyzing. However, consider it an achievement for URI to play in a game to be broadcast by Vitale himself. That in itself is an accomplishment. Watch with the mute button on if you're that bothered it. Geez.

6) Refs were fine. As with most games, it evens out. Enough of the whining about this call and that call. Ridiculous. That was an outstanding crew that officiating that game. It's incumbent on the players to adjust.

7) Hope Rhody doesn't get in the habit of pooping their shorts early in big games. Tough to play from behind all the time...you're asking for trouble.

8) Big picture...1-and-1 out of the weekend was about as good as you can expect. Solid resume-win vs. Cincy. Would've liked to have seen them look and play better vs. Duke on a quasi-home court but in reality, URI is not at Duke's level. I think we can all agree on that.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How about in the ESPN right up under the "Big Picture" section it says "but they must learn how to compete against teams at Duke's level."

Yea we'll get right on that. Just need to get 5 AA's real quick. Shouldn't be an issue.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

I hate the way Duke just feels like they are entitled to get calls. I can see why a lot of people get annoyed with Grayson Allen. Lots of flopping and whining from him and Jefferson today. Now that I'm done whining..

We just got beat. Duke is very, very good and we just played a poor game. Kuran didn't show up like yesterday, EC was non existent and Jarvis is still struggling. I feel like Jarvis will come around and get into his groove with more game time. Stan forces a bit too much on offense imo at times but it is great to have him off the bench. Overall, while it wasn't a great game played on our end I think it was a good learning experience and feel confident about the team moving forward. 1-1 this week with a Cincy win is still a good weekend in my book.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So we should he honored that Vitale actually did one of our games?
No matter that he's a walking Duke advertisement.
He's an irritant, even when it's not us, but anyone playing against Duke,
That kind of one sided cheer leading and hero worship is
highly unprofessional.
Turning the volume off on any ballgame,is ridiculous, unless you like silent movies.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Haven't checked the board much today. Are we mad? I don't think we should be mad. I'm a bit disappointed because I don't think we played particularly well. Was not an issue of effort or "wanting it," and it never is with this team. We just didn't make shots. Some of that is to Duke's credit - they're talented and well coached so I don't assume it was just a coincidence. Still, I'd have loved to have had them on our best day (or anything approaching it).

I have some more thoughts on the game but i just got back to Boston and I'm beat - was a long day. Overall, this weekend was a net positive for the program and just putting Duke into our RPI calc was an important thing to do looking ahead to March.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We aren't at Duke's level. Admit it. We are pretty good, we deserve to be ranked, we will likely finish top 2-3 in the A10, and dance for the first time in eons.....

Need to see us play well on the road before I'm sure of the above, but with all the negatives brought up today, we lost by 10 to the best team in the country...we're not that far away....

I know this might seem out of character for me, but I'm going to stay positive for now...if we stink it up and lose to a team we should beat, then I'll start bitching.....

Let's put it this way...we weren't going to go undefeated......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhody12 wrote:I hate the way Duke just feels like they are entitled to get calls. I can see why a lot of people get annoyed with Grayson Allen. Lots of flopping and whining from him and Jefferson today. Now that I'm done whining..

We just got beat. Duke is very, very good and we just played a poor game. Kuran didn't show up like yesterday, EC was non existent and Jarvis is still struggling. I feel like Jarvis will come around and get into his groove with more game time. Stan forces a bit too much on offense imo at times but it is great to have him off the bench. Overall, while it wasn't a great game played on our end I think it was a good learning experience and feel confident about the team moving forward. 1-1 this week with a Cincy win is still a good weekend in my book.
1-1 with a win yesterday is waaaay better than a 1-1 with a win today...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Disappointed in how we played since we're much better than that but playing Duke is a huge mental challenge as it is physically. Overall a good weekend with a good win and a boost to our SOS. Let's beat Belmont and most importantly, beat PC. Also, Rhody Nation is alive and well.
1 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What a great weekend for our program. Period.

5 games in 9 days with no cold or hot tubs and a back to back. We were tired. Played well below our level and still lost to the best team in the country by 10. No shame there.

There were 4 options for how it could have gone down...0-2 which would've killed our at large chances.1-1 with another loss to a good team and no rpi boost of duke...which would've also killed the at large chances...the pipe dream of 2-0 which would've been huge...or what we needed to do and get a marquee win in a big game and Duke in our rpi equation.

We took a huge step forward this weekend and proved to the nation we belong.

Cherish it. Let's go get Belmont on Friday.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rhody12 wrote:I hate the way Duke just feels like they are entitled to get calls. I can see why a lot of people get annoyed with Grayson Allen. Lots of flopping and whining from him and Jefferson today. Now that I'm done whining..

1-1 with a win yesterday is waaaay better than a 1-1 with a win today...

Yes...thats exactly what I said at the end..
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rodfromcranston wrote:So we should he honored that Vitale actually did one of our games?
No matter that he's a walking Duke advertisement.
He's an irritant, even when it's not us, but anyone playing against Duke,
That kind of one sided cheer leading and hero worship is
highly unprofessional.
Turning the volume off on any ballgame,is ridiculous, unless you like silent movies.
If Vitale is calling one of your games, then it's a big game. That's my point. (He's not doing the Duke vs. William & Mary or Duke vs. Maine game in a few weeks, correct?) He did Duke vs. OUR Rhody Rams! He's a walking college basketball advertisement. Does he over-profess his admiration for Duke? Sure. And Kentucky and Louisville too. I'm not saying he's a great analyst, far from it. In fact, he's lousy when it comes to breaking down a game. But he does have some cache, Rod. I've never heard him claim that he's "professional." He's a college basketball cheerleader with a headset. (Was Johnny Most professional?)

Silent movies and watching a game with the sound down comparison? Hmm...I need an announcer to tell me what's going on? I can't see it with my own eyes? These days with time, shot clock, timeouts left, possession arrow, half, and score continually on the screen, the need for TV announcers is less than ever. Rod, I assume a deaf person cannot enjoy watching or even playing sports. They need "volume." I'm guessing you don't know anyone at the RI School for the Deaf.

I guess I'm ridiculous. I'm watching Villanova with the sound down right now instead of listening to some guy named Doug Sherman and Miles Simon. In case you or I didn't know, it's 35-30 Nova, with 17:15 left in the 2nd half. UCF is playing a man-to-man defense and just forced a Nova turnover. (I figured that all out by myself, without an announcer, because I'm a big boy.)
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm just a little worried about our offense. Our defense is totally fine.

Cinci destroyed Penn State today. They are a seriously good team and we punched them in the mouth and out toughed them big time.

It's encouraging though, how our offense recovered against them and really did some nice things after starting so poorly. We got momentum, shared the ball, made shots.
And the Bearcats may have a better defense than Duke.
We just had the jitters and weren't able to get in an offensive rhythm. Missed some wide open shots. Didn't share the ball. And Duke is just an intelligent team.
I really believe if we just got a little rhythm going and made some of those open shots, it easily could've gone down to the wire. We just played poorly and didn't get beat that bad.
The good news is we aren't going to play anybody as good as Duke or Cinci until Dayton or VCU. Or maybe even WHEN we dance :)
We just gotta keep bustin ass.
Beating PC is very important though. That would be a bad loss for a number of reasons...
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Blue Man wrote:What a great weekend for our program. Period.

5 games in 9 days with no cold or hot tubs and a back to back. We were tired. Played well below our level and still lost to the best team in the country by 10. No shame there.

There were 4 options for how it could have gone down...0-2 which would've killed our at large chances.1-1 with another loss to a good team and no rpi boost of duke...which would've also killed the at large chances...the pipe dream of 2-0 which would've been huge...or what we needed to do and get a marquee win in a big game and Duke in our rpi equation.

We took a huge step forward this weekend and proved to the nation we belong.

Cherish it. Let's go get Belmont on Friday.

Couldn't agree more Mr. Blue +1
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody15 wrote:How about in the ESPN right up under the "Big Picture" section it says "but they must learn how to compete against teams at Duke's level."

Yea we'll get right on that. Just need to get 5 AA's real quick. Shouldn't be an issue.
Right!!?!

just like three days ago ESPN was running an article titled "How did college basketball become Duke, Kentucky and everyone else," yet today a mid-major playing with 2/3 star recruits is supposed be in their league and BTW, we did compete, not the best game to watch for a Rhody fan, but we didn't whither away to the great Dook, when down by 19, we could have just folded and ended up losing by 29. If anything this game says to me we can and should beat any other team on our schedule.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

bigappleram wrote:It's crazy here, we lost to the #1 team in the country!
We lost today because we shot like crap for large stretches and committed 6 TOs in the first 4 minutes...not because of the refs....because our PG and star player gave us nothing, zilch...not because we played solely man-to-man...because Kuran was invisible...because we didn't make the extra pass today for some reason, yesterday we had 15 assists on 26 baskets, today we had 10 assists on 25 baskets....and because Duke is still f-ing good even without 3 potential NBA players. Their back ups are McDonald's AA's, and so are their backups. We belonged out there with them, we just did not execute at their level.

Other takeaways
-Hassan is going to dominate, but he has to work on his footwork and decision making after he receives an entry pass. He either gets rushed and travels or makes a bad pass too often.

-We need Jarvis to get going, he was a slow starter last season but we need more out of him to max out our potential.

-Terrell has cajones. He is a gamer, and right now has been our most consistent performer through 5 games. IMO he deserved All Tourney over Hass.

-Thompson is getting a lot of time, and to me needs to bring more offensively. I assume Dowtin being out last two games is dictating that.
Duke is not the #1 team in the country with the bench they had today. I'm not upset we lost just disapointed we played so poorly especially because there was a better national audience today than yesterday.

Also I really think Robinson should have played more today. I get that EC is our guy and having him out there helps take pressure off other players on offense but he completely disappeared today. 9 points on 7 shots and 4 rebounds in 34 minutes. EC's main value to this team is scoring, he needs to shoot the ball. Obviously we don't want to see a lot of games like yesterday where it takes him 17 shots to score 18 but we need him to take more than 7 shots against a team like Duke.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It was fun watching Rhody on the big stage facing the #1 team in the land
I am still really impressed with JT so much improved
Hassan blocking shots was awesome
KI is an enigma and didn't show up at all today very disappointing
Jarvis is hustling out there but needs to be consistent at hitting the 3 hope he gets it going
EC just had a bad game it happens
Kennard for them is a heck of a player. They will be tough to beat when those 3 guys return
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

My opinion is that Rhody stepped up and came to play. They could've performed a little better in some areas, but overall I thought they looked good and fought hard. Duke will make any team look bad. They're mostly future NBA draft picks. Rhody looks to be even more impressive than I thought they would be this year. These guys really have a ton of fight in them. If this team shows up to play tough in every game they'll definitely be in the NCAA Tournament and will likely win a couple games as well, in my opinion.
Last edited by The Dude 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

I would love to see us get out and run, Jarvis got his only 2 buckets i believe pushing the ball down court, and it looks like we have the athleticism to get out in transition more. Tough game today but playing that level of competition is only going to help in march. got to love the way JT is shooting the ball, and man he got up and rocked the rim twice! dude is becoming an alpha on the floor!
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I get being worried about the offense - but let's not forget that Duke typically at the end of the year is one of the better defensive teams in the country.

Yeah it looked bad today, but we won't have too many games where EC, Jarvis and Kuran look off. Ran out of gas yesterday but I am very pleased with where we are so far.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

What a weekend! That Cinci game was the statement game we needed to shift perception in the national conversation. Duke had all the answers and we just couldn't hit our shots when we needed to.

The craziest part of all this? We are barely 2 weeks into the season. We played 5 games in 9 days with little time to recover or focus on areas that need improvement. Imagine what we could look like come January and beyond...

Also; it was awesome to finally meet a bunch of Keaney Blue members & fans at Mohegan. I'm always running around at the Ryan & don't get a lot of chances to chat with fellow diehards. The atmosphere was phenomenal & our fans were electric in the 2nd half on Saturday. The crowd emptying out of Mohegan chanting "Rhody Rhody Rhody" + "We Want Duke" will be a moment I'll remember forever.

)PS: Our Navy alternate jerseys are SICK. There were a TON of non-Rhody folks on social media raving about them.)
Last edited by EZBuckets 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Love the Navy!!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ram1980 wrote:Sitting right at duke tunnel.. Sucks.. Duke is a bunch of whiny butts..
Ps Allen is a punk.. At refs tunnel too.. Let them know to stop kissing Allen's butt.. We need some friends here in this corner. Good seats though. Love my wife screaming at the preppies going down tunnel at half
Ohhhhhhh. You were sitting right by me. I was in section 12 about 6 rows up, right by the tunnel.

You may have heard me yelling at Allen all game. Fuck I hate him (& Duke).
Funny/Ridiculous story...
Every time it was quiet during a free throw or an inbound play when the ball was down near Duke's end I would yell at Allen by saying "Allen, you suck" or "Grayson Allen is a horrible human being" then later would yell "Grayson Allen is still a horrible human being". Stupid shit like that to make my friends & the handful of other Rhody fans around me laugh. I did this maybe 7 or 8 times. With about 3 minutes to play I yell out something dumb like "Grayson Allen's family should be ashamed of him". Some old Duke fan in his mid 60s yells up to me saying that's enough. I start laughing & yell back, ok buddy. Then security yells over to me & says one more time & you are out of here. Huh? I was never vulgar or threatening. WTF. So at the end of the game Allen is shooting free throws with about 30 seconds to go, I yell out "Every one be quiet for our lord & savior". Fucking ridiculous. Was funny having 3 people in security just staring at me for the final minutes of the games. ha ha.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Coach K usually has kind, supportive words AFTER the game for teams and players who play the right way, like Rhody.

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RhodyOvertime Instant Analysis from Will Geoghegan

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The other thing that I don't think I've seen addressed yet is the fact that 5 games in 9 days doesn't just make you tired...it doesn't give you a chance to work on anything you need to set/play wise.

So any problems that have come up, you don't have the time to address them. You still have to work and stay in shape. Still need to work shooting/passing. And you need to watch film and try to figure out a game plan for each game.

You had a game 2 Fridays ago. You then got Sat and Sun to break down that and get ready for Monday. Then you had Tuesday to break that game down and get ready for Wednesday. Then you had 2 days to break that down and get ready for Saturday.

I really don't think people are fully appreciating how hard that is to do. We came out of this 4-1 with 1 loss being to the clear #1 team in the country.

And that number 1 team that I saw someone said wasn't number 1 as currently constructed - lost to a fully healthy Kansas team at the buzzer. Yes, they're still the best team in the country.

Another point I thought of thinking about how Dowtin didn't get a lot of play this weekend, was thinking back to Jarvis' freshman year. Powell started the first 8 and Jarvis was brought on slow...seems like that worked out OK. Dan knows exactly what he's doing, and knows his players inside and out. I love where we're going.

My only wonder is why we put on the pressure in the last 3 minutes - we totally changed the tide at the end, would've loved to see it for the whole 2nd half.

Either way, point still stands...what a weekend. Statement that we've arrived. Can't wait for Friday.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

josephski wrote:

Other takeaways

Duke is not the #1 team in the country with the bench they had today. I'm not upset we lost just disapointed we played so poorly especially because there was a better national audience today than yesterday.

Also I really think Robinson should have played more today. I get that EC is our guy and having him out there helps take pressure off other players on offense but he completely disappeared today. 9 points on 7 shots and 4 rebounds in 34 minutes. EC's main value to this team is scoring, he needs to shoot the ball. Obviously we don't want to see a lot of games like yesterday where it takes him 17 shots to score 18 but we need him to take more than 7 shots against a team like Duke.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

josephski wrote:

Other takeaways

You're right, with their current roster they are probably more like #5-8. That same team lost to another sure fire Top 3-4 team in Kansas on a buzzer beater, so net net they are elite with whatever 5 Coach K trots out this year.

I agree on Robinson, but thing about EC is even when he isn't hitting he helps with spacing and draws attention. For my money, this weekend anyway, I would have taken minutes from Jarvis and CT in favor of more Stan.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

For what its worth I think even playing Duke gives us a lot of play with casual fans. Anecdotal, but I've already had three people this morning at work tell me how they need to get to a few games this year
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

People need to view this weekend with perspective. Anyone expecting a 2-0 record was not being realistic. The Rams accomplished the very reasonable goal of 1-1 with a win over a top 25 team and a respectable loss to the #1 team in the country. Rhody played on the big stage and this will help our players as the season progresses. This weekend will be especially important and beneficial come March.

I was proud of our gritty, play hard, no quit team. Things did not look good down double digits on Saturday with our pg on his way to the hospital. The guys however came back and made it a weekend to remember regardless of the loss yesterday. This team gave the fans something to come out for. The fans did not disappoint and came out in very large numbers. They were a rowdy bunch that started spontaneous cheers throughout the arena and entire casino complex. The show of keaney blue was awesome.

This was a great weekend for URI hoops. It was big time playing the big boys.

Rhody has now beat a ranked opponent in each of the last three seasons. It has done this at home, on the road, and on a neutral court. I have followed URI basketball for close to 40 years and cannot recall anything like this ever before. Progress does not come overnight. It is a gradual and incremental process. Rhody is making progress and elevating the program. We as fans should enjoy the ride and do all we can to come out and support the team. GO RHODY!
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Great, successful, weekend for our program. The Duke game wasn't as close as the final score would lead you believe, but regardless gaining what appears to be a signature win and a "close-ish" loss to Duke will bode well for the remainder of our year.

After a big day from the Brown guard I thought Terrell, and the rest of our guards, did a tremendous job against the Duke Back-court - including a POY candidate in Allen (albeit not at 100%). I think players like Kennard (6'6 shooter) will be a tough guard for us, but fortunately there aren't many of those remaining on our schedule.

Job well done - Belmont next (played Vandy tough) and Valpo the following week.

Go Rhody!
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"40 years and cannot recall anything like this ever before."
No offense, but, SERIOUSLY?
One minute from the Final Four1998,
A basket from the Elite 8 1988.
ESPN running their Midnight Madness from Keaney Gym in 1997.
Wins over Kansas, Syracuse, Missouri, in those NCAA runs.
Sorry, all that beats a 1-1 weekend in November.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:"40 years and cannot recall anything like this ever before."
No offense, but, SERIOUSLY?
One minute from the Final Four1998,
A basket from the Elite 8 1988.
ESPN running their Midnight Madness from Keaney Gym in 1997.
Wins over Kansas, Syracuse, Missouri, in those NCAA runs.
Sorry, all that beats a 1-1 weekend in November.
I am not comparing this weekend to any of the NCAA runs. We have had some really great wins in a single season. We however have never beat a ranked opponent in three consecutive years and that was what my reference was about.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Who was the ranked team we beat last year? Dayton wasn't ranked when we beat them at The Arena. They were ranked when we narrowly lost to them at home earlier.

Dayton had lost 2 of their last 3 before we beat them last year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:Who was the ranked team we beat last year? Dayton wasn't ranked when we beat them at The Arena. They were ranked when we narrowly lost to them at home earlier.

Dayton had lost 2 of their last 3 before we beat them last year.
Dayton was unranked in the AP Poll, but they were 22 in the Coaches Poll when we beat them at UD Arena.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod is right..... though we're on an upward path finally after 17 years of generally sucking.....we have probably played our last ranked team for the rest of the regular season....take care of Belmont, Valpo, and PC, and worry about what comes next later.....

To me, those games [especially Valpo and PC, since they're road games] are just as important as last weekend's games.....don't want to take a step back.......assume nothing......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Didn't read everything posted but I saw some questions on why Iverson didn't play much and didn't notice an answer. The 1st half he was obviously benched for picking up 2 fouls early. The bigger issue was that when Dan brought him back in he was burned off the dribble 2-3 times pretty quickly and seemed to not be working hard on D. Dan was furious about the lack of effort and pulled him. Wish he had gotten back in but I don't blame Dan for pulling him.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"We however have never beat a ranked opponent in three consecutive years and that was what my reference was about."
Really? In 96-97, we beat Elite 8 and nationally ranked PC 96-79
97-98, UNLV and Kansas.
98-99 Utah.
Dayton was not ranked when we won last year.
I also think counting that terrible Nebraska team as a top ranked team,
when they cratered in that season, a bit disingenuous.
0 x