Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That Kennard three really hurt.
I am not okay with being blown out by an injured ass Duke team. Our offense is such trash
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 5: #1 Duke 11/20 - Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament Final - Mohegan Sun (ESPN)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ugh! Can they stop Duke on defense?
They just haven;t turned them over at all.
Matthews has been invisible.
Not good.
Plus listening to Vital is torture.
He should do the game wearing a Duke uniform.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

11:26

Duke 51, URI 36
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I know Vitale is brutal, it's like he's rubbing it in our face the whole game.
1 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

media timeout at 7:10

Duke 59, URI 45

I am beginning to hate Kennard, against whom Rhody appears to have no answer.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hahaha that foul call on Terrell was absolute horseshit.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PeterRamTime wrote:I know Vitale is brutal, it's like he's rubbing it in our face the whole game.
We're playing like shit and Duke is playing really well even though they have a bunch of injuries.

If we made this a competitive game then maybe he'd be talking about us more.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Bad day for Iverson and e c no show
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I know the game is lost. Not a godd effort. Actually awful. But how is that a foul on JT vs that punk Allen? Please. Dicky V, verticality. Guys a total embarrassment, pls go to retirement in FLA. You sucked 20 years ago, if not more. Can't stand ESPN
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

There'll has done a great job on Allen.. Reputation fouls r killers
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Media timeout at 3:51

Duke 68, URI 50
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......OK, rinse the shit taste of this out of the mouth, maybe not watch the film from this, get some rest, get ready for Belmont and the remaining OOC schedule......get back on track and just win the next one.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hassan Martin is going to dominate the A10 this year.
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

A made 3 by Garrett would have made this interesting.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

36.7 to go and Dan calls a timeout

Duke 71, URI 61
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I think we played poorly for whatever reason. But I am very disappointed, but not disappointed, if that makes sense.
I've always wondered how good would Duke be without the refs. Seriously? Even get calls against Carolina, big time. Like Lebron James the greattest or on of the greatest of all time can take 10 step on every move. Think it makes you just a bit better with that liberty. Duke is a sickening team to watch. Yes, great program. team and coach, but why do they need all the other help?
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

giovanni wrote:I think we played poorly for whatever reason. But I am very disappointed, but not disappointed, if that makes sense.
I've always wondered how good would Duke be without the refs. Seriously? Even get calls against Carolina, big time. Like Lebron James the greattest or on of the greatest of all time can take 10 step on every move. Think it makes you just a bit better with that liberty. Duke is a sickening team to watch. Yes, great program. team and coach, but why do they need all the other help?
Duke doesn't need the refs. If you haven't noticed they're getting the top recruits in the country.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Final score

#1 Duke 75, #21 URI 65
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh well, turns out Duke is pretty good. Still a great weekend overall.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Our bad offense at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half killed us. They got in a groove and took complete control.
They don't make a lot of mistakes.
Jefferson just killed us with his offensive rebounding and Kennard.
Only the fifth game of the year. We are gonna get a lot better.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Just wish we had a better game. You could see ten minutes into this game that we could play with these guys. Hurts to get so little from E.C. and Iverson...surprising.

Oh and did ya hear? Duke played a lot of games this week? (sarcasm)
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I had to mute the audio so many times watching on TV because of how annoying the commentators were... Really disappointed by our shot selection throughout the whole game. Should we expect our ranking to go up or down next week?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Dickie V was bad. Half of the game he wasnt even talking about the game, just random other college basketball teams.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Have to admit I am shocked at how many wide open shots we missed.

On to Belmont and then the biggest game of the year.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

In the spirit of staying positive this early in the year, overall it was a good weekend. Good competition, 1-1 with the loss against the #1 team in the country, and only by 10 pts. (no one will remember we got handled the whole game later on in the season). Good weekend for the RPI the rest of the year.

Done, done, and onto the next one! Gonna be a great A-10 season for URI.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yep! We are in great shape.
We may be favored in every game from here on out.
The worst part about playing Belmont is back to the horrible behind the basket camera angle...
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

meh, i just cant get too worked up over that game, it was house money. Most important is the RPI boost from playing them.

the shooting and defense looked like tired legs to me. 3 in 5 and the energy to fight out the win yesterday, looked like they were on E
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RI_Bred wrote:In the spirit of staying positive this early in the year, overall it was a good weekend. Good competition, 1-1 with the loss against the #1 team in the country, and only by 10 pts. (no one will remember we got handled the whole game later on in the season). Good weekend for the RPI the rest of the year.

Done, done, and onto the next one! Gonna be a great A-10 season for URI.
I concur with your sentiments. This weekend will pay big dividends the rest of the way and be especially important on a certain sunday in march.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I hope that they really work out our lack of boxing out on defensive rebounds. Hassan has to be more selective on which shots he blocks, we are letting guys get offensive rebounds without any resistance. Need to box out more. Overall I'm happy with the weekend, Duke played great with no sign of fatigue. We played tight, but never quit as usual. We are a very good team with a lot of options, this was a great weekend for us to see how we stack against very good teams. Dicky V didn't mention that we have played 5 games in 9 days, I love this team.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Mongo wrote:I hope that they really work out our lack of boxing out on defensive rebounds. Hassan has to be more selective on which shots he blocks, we are letting guys get offensive rebounds without any resistance. Need to box out more.
Great point. Noticed this multiple times (and yelled at the TV about it)...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ooof! Not a good performance at all.
Only Terrell and Martin showed up.
Terrell is absolutely fearless, regardless of the opponent.
EC and Iverson, invisible.
Glad they pressed at the end to make the score respectable.
Listening to Vital was pure cruel and unusual punishment!
What a disgrace. Totally focused on Duke, their players
and his worship of Coach K.
Most of all Vital saying ath-A-lete over and over.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: The worst part about playing Belmont is back to the horrible behind the basket camera angle...
Maybe whoever directs the stream at the Ryan Center watched these two games and thought to themselves, wow they never once used an under the basket camera angle that blocks out all of the action of the court!
2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Actually I'll never understand why we aren't MUCH better with video streaming. It's been years now. Do people know how easy it is to stream high-quality video??!!? Our video, going back to them just taking the scoreboard video complete with the cartoon elephant is weak and always has been. Most people I know could make it tons better in an hour of working on it. What am I missing? What's the issue? Net speed? No excuses, we're a top program now.
0 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Tough game but a successful weekend.

Can someone please tell me why Kuran only played eleven minutes? After such a monster game yesterday, I was thinking he was going to carry that momentum into the Duke game. Didn't seem hurt. Was he gassed from yesterday or in Danny's doghouse?

I love our upcoming schedule. Some solid OOC opponents. We're only going to get better.

Go Rhody!
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:meh, i just cant get too worked up over that game, it was house money. Most important is the RPI boost from playing them.

the shooting and defense looked like tired legs to me. 3 in 5 and the energy to fight out the win yesterday, looked like they were on E
Duke played 3 games in 6 days. They only played 7 guys today with 12 minutes from their bench. Allen played 39 minutes through an injury.

We just played bad today, no excuses. It would have been nice to play better against Duke but we still went 1-1 this weekend with the win against Cincy.

Also I know the topic of playing zone has been talked about a lot but I still don't understand why Hurley doesn't want to switch up the defense every so often. Would probably help our big men stay out of foul trouble.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....what did learn from this weekend?.....against teams that are kinda mirror images of ourselves, we will do just fine, the top tier of the national top 25 is still a sizable gap between the bottom of the top 25, teams that are successful in taking away major offensive contribution from EC will take give us trouble, we remain a work in progress to have to get significant impacts from the bench rotations, when the defense does not create offense we will have to find other offensive triggers, and we are a legit top 25 team, an NCAA lock.......provided we don't hit those offensive droughts against zones and stumble against against of the have nots of the A10 schedule.....just win the next one...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

This weekend showed how much rhody struggles to score against a zone. At least that was my takeaway. We have so many slashers it just doesnt fit us well. Im sure it is something they will work on.

Also I think it shows our 20-25 ranking is about right.
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

josephski wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:meh, i just cant get too worked up over that game, it was house money. Most important is the RPI boost from playing them.

Duke played 3 games in 6 days. They only played 7 guys today with 12 minutes from their bench. Allen played 39 minutes through an injury.

We just played bad today, no excuses. It would have been nice to play better against Duke but we still went 1-1 this weekend with the win against Cincy.

Also I know the topic of playing zone has been talked about a lot but I still don't understand why Hurley doesn't want to switch up the defense every so often. Would probably help our big men stay out of foul trouble.
yeah, and? doesnt make our legs any less tired. Those were some heavy legs, and thats not an excuse its a fact. Especially with a team like ours that plays a high tempo, high energy game.
0 x
---
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote:This weekend showed how much rhody struggles to score against a zone. At least that was my takeaway. We have so many slashers it just doesnt fit us well. Im sure it is something they will work on.

curious take...the zone is what got us back into the Cincy game, we shot them out of it
1 x
---
---
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Hurley wont play zone, i'm not sure why, every team we play has thrown a zone at us for some portion of the game. Our defensive strategy is to overplay the ball regardless of where we are on the court and it leads to foul trouble, easy buckets and the opponent shooting in the bonus half way into the half. Playing straight pressure aggressive man defense is ok against teams like Marist or Brown where our athleticism takes over. Duke shredded our D whenever they needed a score to stop a run. No reason we cant switch up our defense and give a different look once in a while.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:This weekend showed how much rhody struggles to score against a zone. At least that was my takeaway. We have so many slashers it just doesnt fit us well. Im sure it is something they will work on.

curious take...the zone is what got us back into the Cincy game, we shot them out of it
IDK they struggled bit against Brown's zone too. Not really that much a negative but I think we play much better against man to man. We are built for slashing, pick and roll and ISO, which all work less effective against a good zone.
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

I'm going to give EC a pass for today's game. Five games in 10 days including a back-to-back off ACL surgery is a lot to ask.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We didn't struggle offensively against Brown. People keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....anyone know why there was no live radio coverage of any of the post games pressers..... I thought we had turned the corner of this.....is it home games only?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't think they played that badly today...just got beat by a better team.
Hats off to a short-handed Duke. On to the next one...
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

All in all I thought this was a great weekend to be a ram! Obviously wanted that Duke win but let's be honest, there is a striking talent difference there. In my eyes there is Duke and Kentucky and then there is everyone else. I think this team can go toe to toe with anyone 10+
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rhodysurf wrote:Dickie V was bad. Half of the game he wasnt even talking about the game, just random other college basketball teams.
And Mookie Betts at one point. Because... ???
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:Dickie V was bad. Half of the game he wasnt even talking about the game, just random other college basketball teams.
And Mookie Betts at one point. Because... ???
Not that I condone or endorse Dickie V., but if memory serves, he's a pretty big baseball fan, and also Dave O'Brien was the play by play guy with him today (obviously also the "new" play by play guy for the Red Sox)...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

hrstrat57 wrote:Have to admit I am shocked at how many wide open shots we missed.

On to Belmont and then the biggest game of the year.
We already played our biggest game of the year, and we won.
PC is our 2nd most impt OOC game, and only bc of perception. Houston and Valpo on the road will likely be similar degrees of difficulty.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Heh? We put up 76 points against Cincy who played zone the entire game.
And Duke played man-to-man all but 2-3 possessions.
1 x