Frogman, EZBuckets, the Ruckus etc.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Frogman, EZBuckets, the Ruckus etc.

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote:Well, you'd think there would be more participation when the team would be going to A10 tournament and NCAA tournament as well. Don't we ship the band and spirit squads out to those events? That sounds super fun for a band member to go to those tournaments.
That's always the case, but the point stands as above: URI is disgraceful in their support for the fine arts program. The fact that there hasn't even been a bond amendment to raze/renovate the first building many visitors see coming into campus is awful.

At the very least, as it pertains to basketball, if you were to give a 3 credit course or more to pep band students, pay them, incentivize them SOMEHOW to go to the games, it will never get any better.

Any complaints in this arena should start at the head of the music department, Mark Conley, but honestly go up to Dr. Dooley and the Board of Governors.

It's sad because both football and basketball provide windows for tens of thousands of people to view the university that wouldn't normally be there each year. Anything that isn't done well at any event; be it the game it self, the production, the music, the fans, etc - is a missed opportunity for state and it's university.

Any issue with the band in regards to their support of basketball and football or performance is the direct result of the school and state neglecting the programs for so long. It's honestly pathetic.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

My favorite recent Band number is the Game of Thrones theme.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Blue Man wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Well, you'd think there would be more participation when the team would be going to A10 tournament and NCAA tournament as well. Don't we ship the band and spirit squads out to those events? That sounds super fun for a band member to go to those tournaments.
That's always the case, but the point stands as above: URI is disgraceful in their support for the fine arts program. The fact that there hasn't even been a bond amendment to raze/renovate the first building many visitors see coming into campus is awful.

At the very least, as it pertains to basketball, if you were to give a 3 credit course or more to pep band students, pay them, incentivize them SOMEHOW to go to the games, it will never get any better.

Any complaints in this arena should start at the head of the music department, Mark Conley, but honestly go up to Dr. Dooley and the Board of Governors.

It's sad because both football and basketball provide windows for tens of thousands of people to view the university that wouldn't normally be there each year. Anything that isn't done well at any event; be it the game it self, the production, the music, the fans, etc - is a missed opportunity for state and it's university.

Any issue with the band in regards to their support of basketball and football or performance is the direct result of the school and state neglecting the programs for so long. It's honestly pathetic.
Blue Man makes a great point here.
Due to the lack of financial and logistical support from the university, a lot of the music department has become apathetic to the improvement of the pep band, it's very much second tier below the marching band (2-3 credits)
Students receive 1 credit for participating but that's about it. No incentive to join other than traveling with the team (which only is possible due to a very generous donor who ponies up for the hotel rooms) and getting a polo shirt.
The band is improving in size because the team is better, but the performance will not improve unless there is more support for the music program.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I remember my days in the Ruckus (formally the Rhody Mob) and there was talk of creating new chants. It didn't really pan out so we stayed with the current ones, U-R-I clap, Lets go Rhody and the famous Rhody RHody Rhody Rams Rams Rams, which by the way is AWESOME when someone in the crowd randomly begins the chant. That said, a new chant is always welcome. Plenty of precedence in the college basketball world. But shout out to EZ Buckets and the Ruckus, youre doing a great job!
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DEFENSE is always a good one. Any chants will do as long as it makes the place ROCK!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

DE-FENSE must start SLOW and gradually speed up. So often the students get it wrong and by starting out too quickly, they can't even say "defense" by the end of the chant. Then of course, the last 10 seconds can just be AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH as seen at Cameron Indoor with the Crazies bouncing up and down.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody Dude
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody Dude »

As a student and member of the Ruckus I think "the wave" should absolutely be something that is done. This is the OCEAN state. Even if its only the student section, the first row could start it off, and "the wave" would go up the student section into the 300's instead of around the stadium and just keep "the waves" going. It could also probably be an awesome free throw distraction.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No offense, but I think the DEFENSE one is played...not sure of the rate at the Ry, but seems like whenever they do it at the Boston Garden...the other team scores.

"Winning team...losing team" (with the appropriate full arm extension pointing) was always a good one. Can find lots of good variations on you tube, but, basically a good near end of gamer...
EZB(?)/microphone guy: Is that not a scoreboard?!
Raucous Crowd: Yes, that is a scoreboard!!
EZB/mike guy: Is that not a 75?!
RC: Yes, that is a 75!!
EZB/mike guy: Is that not a 63?!
RC: Yes, that is a 63!!
EZB: Is that not the winning team?!
RC:" Yes, that is the winning team!!
EZB: Is that not the losing team?!
RC:" Yes, that is the losing team!!

Then, just full on pointing and yelling "Winning team!!...Losing team!!...Winning team!!...losing team!!..."

Rhody RHody Rhody Rams Rams Rams is always awesome.

"You You you you you you...YOU SUCK" has a nice feel to it as well...

ASU's Curtain of Distraction seems like it would play well...so what if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?...that one is truly worthy of both.

Slow Friday...is it 3pm on Saturday yet?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody Dude wrote:As a student and member of the Ruckus I think "the wave" should absolutely be something that is done. This is the OCEAN state. Even if its only the student section, the first row could start it off, and "the wave" would go up the student section into the 300's instead of around the stadium and just keep "the waves" going. It could also probably be an awesome free throw distraction.
Love it...has a nice retro feel to it, too
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: "Winning team...losing team" (with the appropriate full arm extension pointing) was always a good one. Can find lots of good variations on you tube, but, basically a good near end of gamer...

Then, just full on pointing and yelling "Winning team!!...Losing team!!...Winning team!!...losing team!!..."
This is one of the ones we are already planning on using. Just need to coach the students so we can pull it off effectively
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: "Winning team...losing team" (with the appropriate full arm extension pointing) was always a good one. Can find lots of good variations on you tube, but, basically a good near end of gamer...

This is one of the ones we are already planning on using. Just need to coach the students so we can pull it off effectively

AWESOME!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......good luck with that one......sounds like a lot of practice and coordination.....but hey, why not....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Haven't heard "munch munch munch" in a long time.

(Tho taunting some officials can backfire.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:......good luck with that one......sounds like a lot of practice and coordination.....but hey, why not....
shouldn't be that hard...just repeat/answer the question....kids at a state u oughta be able to pick that up?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That winning team losing team has been around for a long time. High School teams were using that a good 8 years ago, maybe more.
It would be good to have something unique to URI itself, unique to the state maybe?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:URI is disgraceful in their support for the fine arts program. The fact that there hasn't even been a bond amendment to raze/renovate the first building many visitors see coming into campus is awful.
That's not URI's call to make. They originally wanted the Fine Arts bond on this ballot and are still hoping to get it on the 2018 ballot, but that's the state's call whether it happens or not.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A lot on this thread to respond to:
EZ great Job
Excellent chants at Mohegan today. Was it a younger Rhody crowd (excluding no student section)
Disappointed no pep band today. Three other schools had their bands and URI is 30 minutes away.
VCU has one of the leading bands in the country. I believe all band members are on a partial scholarship. So not a good compare
EZ does the Rhody Ram chant with South & North sections when we have a good crowd on both ends.
Question though - why arent students directed to other end behind the basket before filling in the 300s on the side?
I had a woman tap me on my shoulder today at Mohegan asking me to sit because her kids couldnt see. This was when JT hit a big three in the second half. I wanted to say "really" but I just sat. And kept standing on big plays.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Should get a frogman sighting at Mohegan today.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think the behind the South hoop are the primary 2 for $25 seat with popcorn on weeknights??

Agree students should 100% occupy those seats.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mohegan wouldn't let frogman in with his suit today. They took it from him. I am assuming they gave it back when he left after the game.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Frogman appearance vs Belmont?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Will be there in full force with the family but am going to guess 4500 for the Black Friday crowd.
EZ B...do us a favor...spend some time - even just a little - down at our end...? :lol:
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Will be there in full force with the family but am going to guess 4500 for the Black Friday crowd.
EZ B...do us a favor...spend some time - even just a little - down at our end...? :lol:
I'll see what I can do! :D
0 x
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

ramster wrote:Frogman appearance vs Belmont?
I'll be there! Unfortunately at Mohegan my suit was confiscated, but I'll be back in action tonight.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FroggyTheFan wrote:
ramster wrote:Frogman appearance vs Belmont?
I'll be there! Unfortunately at Mohegan my suit was confiscated, but I'll be back in action tonight.
Great to hear Frogman........I don't think your suit will be confiscated at the Ryan Center. Now at the Dunk it might be a different story on December 3 :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ......at the Dunk, they let people wearing Crimetown suits in.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938