Game Attendance

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Game Attendance

Unread post by RoadyJay »

One of the very few times that I agree with Donaldson. This attendance problem really bothers me. The students have shown up for both games but our alum/general public have not. The excuses I've heard on this board this past week are as Donaldson rightly says, "WEAK". We ALL have reasons why we can't attend one game or another (family events, business travel, budget, etc.) I get that. But what really bothers me are those fans that have the means to make it to Kingston and support the team, but for reasons such as traffic, location of the Ryan Center, and night of the week, just don't go. It's 15-16 nights over the course of 4 months. This is the year you've been waiting for. Nearly 20 years since we have been relevant and you're still not willing to make the sacrifice to make the trip to Kingston? What kind of a message do you think you are sending to Coach Hurley?

I also have to blame the administration. While they have made incredible investments and improvements in this program what are we doing to attract new fans? I saw the response about having limited resources, but I just don't accept that running a few Facebook and Instagram ads is a comprehensive marketing plan. Do we try to bring in any corporate groups? Local schools? Get butts in those seats!!

My rant is complete... I'm ready to go tonight!
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Ram1019
ARD

Re: Game Attendance

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Tell us how you really feel, Jim.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So these casual fans we're trying to lure will have made plans to overcome the logistical challenge in addition to simply being aware of the games? As the word gets out about this team, there will be more fans at the games because they will

1) be aware when they're happening
2) make plans to overcome any logistical challenge
3) be highly motivated to watch team in person

Many are making a big deal about a crap game on a Monday night.

Remaining home games:
Brown - Wednesday 7pm
Belmont - Friday 7pm
Old Dominion - Tuesday 7pm
Holy Cross - Sunday 12:30p
William & Mary - Thursday 7pm
St Joes - Tuesday 7pm
La Salle - Thursday 7pm
UMass - Sunday 2:30pm
Bonnies - Saturday 2pm
GW - Tuesday 7pm
Dayton - Friday 7pm
Fordham - Wednesday 7pm
VCU - Saturday Time TBA
Davidson - Saturday 6pm
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Let's see if it is "making a big deal about a crap game". I hope and will be happy to be wrong. I'm only going off what I have seen so far... which is more of the same excuses.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......our fans are pumped......we just don't have enough of them to fill the house on regular basis....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think you're right to be concerned if URI is 10-0, ranked, and attendance is still soft. We're still in the "prove it!" portion of the schedule with casual fans, and big wins over Marist and Dartmouth aren't really going to spike interest. They're not going to hurt interest, of course, but I don't think you're going to see a big crowd bump until after the Mohegan tournament.
1 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Totally not as black and white as Mr. Donaldson would like to lead everyone to believe. There are so many angles to this dynamic and while I agree with several of the obvious points that we all make out of frustration and observation, it's just deeper than that.

I'm an alum, I live in Philadelphia, I get to the games locally when the boys are down this way - my point here however (while slightly extreme) is that a local Philadelphia sports writer would have to know better than to compare the attendance in North Phila at the Liacoras Center (Temple) to the attendance of Villanova, on the main line? Right?

We (the Rams) have been letting down our fans for 20 years, Jim, 20 f'ng years! So alongside letting our fans down for 20 years, we haven't made the tournament, we haven't truly been contenders for really anything. All the while, Providence has made the tournament a handful of times, been ranked a handful of times, and hosted elite, top ncaa teams at the Dunk during that 20 year period. I think the A10 has come a long way, but let's just say both teams are having a down year (Friars and Rams), aren't the casual fans in the State of RI much more likely to go to watch a game hosting elite teams (from the BE) than to see URI v. La Salle, SLU, Fordham, St. Bonnie, Richmond (I know, before you go poking holes, some of those teams have had good years, but) my point is the product you're likely to get at the Dunk over the last 20 years has been far and away a better product than you've been apt to see in Kingston.

I love this team, not just this year, but always. I'm also an alum and a basketball fan, so it makes sense that I love the Rams. I imagine that's not the case for the majority of South Kingston-ers, not all URI alum basketball fans...

Relating it back to me and where I live, if I have no rooting interest in the A10, wouldn't it make more sense based on where I live to root for the historically good team in my town? If given the choice, and I'm interested in going to a college basketball game as a casual fan, I'm going to where the product is, not simply what's down the street.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

UVM is actually a decent team and PC has inertia with its fans AND it was opening night. I enjoyed watching URI kick the shit out of Marist but to be honest it was a shitty game if you are a casual fan. There was very little energy for most of the game cuz it was a blatant blowout. I think we can get to the point where even these games sell well but URI has disapointed for so long its lost public interest until they start winning big games again. It takes time and success.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Guys I know in Rhode Island that are sports fans but not big college basketball fans don't even know the college basketball season has started. To get to the point where games against teams like Marist are drawing 6-7,000 people, you need to have some sustained success, and that takes time. It doesn't happen overnight. If this team is where we expect it to be in January/February, then the ticket demand will be extremely strong. But even if we have a great season, next November our first weeknight game against a no-name opponent still likely won't draw 7,000. That's just the way it is. It takes a while to build a fan base, and you need a fan base to sell a lot of tickets to every game. "Casual" fans just aren't going to support a team at that high of a level.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we want to be an elite program, we have to draw against 'crap' teams. How does Dayton and VCU draw against 'crap' teams? I never agree with Donaldson either, but totally agree. Dan must think that if they don't come with a 21 ranking, they're never going to come. Yes the crowds will be there for the marquee games, but for the top programs, they have to be there every game. I want Dan to be here forever. We know he gets pissed about lack of fan support. Things like this and the tub garbage add up. Have you noticed that Ace hasn't posted lately? She backs away when something is up with Dan. She had a strong tweet about her frustration with the tub issue though. He has the right to complain now. He wants a top level program in all aspects and the last couple of weeks have fallen short.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote:If we want to be an elite program, we have to draw against 'crap' teams. How does Dayton and VCU draw against 'crap' teams? I never agree with Donaldson either, but totally agree. Dan must think that if they don't come with a 21 ranking, they're never going to come. Yes the crowds will be there for the marquee games, but for the top programs, they have to be there every game. I want Dan to be here forever. We know he gets pissed about lack of fan support. Things like this and the tub garbage add up. Have you noticed that Ace hasn't posted lately? She backs away when something is up with Dan. She had a strong tweet about her frustration with the tub issue though. He has the right to complain now. He wants a top level program in all aspects and the last couple of weeks have fallen short.
I mean they made the tournament almost every year for a decade?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I get frustrated, too, and agree with a lot of what you're saying. But it's difficult to get marginal fans to come to games. PC was in the tournament three years in a row and didn't sell out their opener. Were they happy with 8,000?
PC basketball is huge in RI. We can complain about it but that's a fact.
I thought there would be about 5,000 Monday night. I'm guessing there won't be a great crowd tonight. But hopefully, later in the season, when the RC is hopping we'll forget about these early games. I predicted avg attendance 6000+ and still think that will happen.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Watch Dan's face tonight during the national anthem tonight when he looks around and sees all the empty seats. It eats away at him.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think tonights attendance will be back up around 6k with two in state teams playing.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

This is completely overblown. Culture not only drives a program but success drives it's fan culture. If we make the NCAA tournament, we'll see gradually fan improvements next year. But if we can have sustained success, that's where you start creating real demand for tickets and scarcity takes over and in of it's self drives additional demand. I expect larger crowd and close to sell out's for games against decent opponents barring Pat's conflicts. Let's give the fans a chance to show up, not just shoot them for not going to a 40 point blow out.

The point about PC is that they used to sell out play in a high major conference and people wanted to see Syracuse, UConn, and the likes. Now playing in a similar conference to the A-10, PC has kept up that momentum by having on court success now. They have made 3 straight NCAA tournaments, we haven't made one since 1999. Let's relax and take one step at a time and hope Dan is here for a while to create that sustained success level that this program truly needs.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

My biggest disappointment is Donaldson hasn't gone away.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Season avg will absolutely be over 6000.

Tonight... maybe 5000.

So much of our crowd is families with kids. We got to 6000 on opening night because of large groups of kids and their families on a Friday night.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:If we want to be an elite program, we have to draw against 'crap' teams. How does Dayton and VCU draw against 'crap' teams? I never agree with Donaldson either, but totally agree. Dan must think that if they don't come with a 21 ranking, they're never going to come. Yes the crowds will be there for the marquee games, but for the top programs, they have to be there every game. I want Dan to be here forever. We know he gets pissed about lack of fan support. Things like this and the tub garbage add up. Have you noticed that Ace hasn't posted lately? She backs away when something is up with Dan. She had a strong tweet about her frustration with the tub issue though. He has the right to complain now. He wants a top level program in all aspects and the last couple of weeks have fallen short.
Dayton and VCU draw against crap teams by being very good for years in a row. Not by winning their first two games of the season.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody Guy wrote:I think tonights attendance will be back up around 6k with two in state teams playing.
Not way, not even close. There are less than 3000 seats sold right now. Hopefully the students and game day purchases put it in the mid 4s.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:I think tonights attendance will be back up around 6k with two in state teams playing.
Not way, not even close. There are less than 3000 seats sold right now. Hopefully the students and game day purchases put it in the mid 4s.
Less then 3k sold right now, what's our season ticket base? Obviously less then 3k then.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just beat Cincy. That is all.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If we're waiting for years and years of success to sell tickets, it's never going to happen. Dan will be long gone before then. And as always when we lose a good coach, the program takes a step back.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:If we're waiting for years and years of success to sell tickets, it's never going to happen. Dan will be long gone before then. And as always when we lose a good coach, the program takes a step back.
It's on us to help spread the word and market the program. The state doesn't provide the university the resources required to compete at this level so we all need to do our share.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:If we're waiting for years and years of success to sell tickets, it's never going to happen. Dan will be long gone before then. And as always when we lose a good coach, the program takes a step back.
It's on us to help spread the word and market the program. The state doesn't provide the university the resources required to compete at this level so we all need to do our share.
I post about the team on Facebook and Twitter. If you have any more suggestions, I'm willing to listen.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

you mean Dayton, who is in the middle of a city of 143,355, or VCU who is in the middle of a city of 214,114?

Like it or not, it is not feasible for most fans in the Providence area to get to Kingston for a 7pm tip, it just isnt.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We're not waiting. This year will break all attendance records.

Already, we have exceeded season tix sales from 2008 and mini-plan sales are outstanding. We are even able to restrict single-game sales for VCU/Dayton because of high demand.

It is unreasonable to think we could "activate" our dormant/casual fan base this soon for a Monday night blowout game vs Marist.

If we see these issues in future weeks then we can truly be concerned.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not that I am really looking to call you out specifically here or anything, but haven't you said more than a few times all the various reasons why you aren't able to get to games all the time? Valid reasons to. It seems you put a lot of pressure on other fans to do what they have to do to get to games so Hurley doesn't leave but don't hold yourself to the same standard. Correct me if I'm wrong though, maybe I am misunderstanding.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Most people expect Dan to leave whether we have good attendance or not. If the program takes a step back it's on the school, not the fans.

Dan needs to focus on winning games and making the NCAA tournament, not worry about attendance numbers. Also hopefully Dan has noticed the record number of season tickets and the fact opening night was a record crowd. The attendance might not be as great as he wants but at least there's obvious signs it's improving.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, and Dan has a wealth of factual information re: tickets sold for this season and our prospects of selling out the most games ever in the building.

All of us are virtually blind to these truths beyond what has been shared publicly on ticket sales and two games played.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does anybody know what this record number of season ticket sales is? Not being a wise ass. I'm just curious.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Just for my own curiosity as I've seen conflicting information on this: are the Marist and Brown games part of the season ticket package or not?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Both games are part of the season ticket package.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Does anybody know what this record number of season ticket sales is? Not being a wise ass. I'm just curious.
That is not made public.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I like neutral/away games so we don't have to hear about this...beat Cincinnati and a lot of our issues disappear. Lose and we're back to square one.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Watch Dan's face tonight during the national anthem tonight when he looks around and sees all the empty seats. It eats away at him.
He's going to have to be a big boy and deal with it. Rutgers averaged about 4500 fans last year, so it isn't like he passed up the opportunity to play in a packed house every night. If he wins here, the fans will show up. But you have to actually win; we have not done anything of note in the last 17 years - (which obviously isn't Dan's fault). Worse than not doing anything, we pretended like we were about to something several times only to choke the opportunities away. So fans are reticent and need to be won back.

We've covered all this before. This year the team is going to be good and a lot of people know it. We will likely have our best attendance in the history of the program. But the attendance is still going to be concentrated in the biggest games and in conference play, so it is going to increase as the season goes on. We aren't going to start selling out November buy games until years 3, 4, 5 of really winning consistently and being a name brand program. I hope Dan has the patience to see that through, but if he doesn't there is no use worrying about it because that isn't going to change the reality.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

lot to unpack here:

1st and foremost - sustained success drives program attendance at the beginning of the year. Being really good brings fans in at the end of the year. I can't remember a time when we had a team playing good and a big late season game that wasn't a near sell out. We just don't have the body of work to prove we're winners - we have years of failed expectations and collapses that are still fresh in people's minds.

When anyone ever says a single good thing about Jim Baron, or says that "he's gone now" this is why I get pissed. The stink from that mustache lingers around this program like the BO smell in Jerry and Elaine's car that the valet left. It will take YEARS OF WINNING to wash that off.

If you are looking at Dayton and VCU as models...that's exactly what they are...model programs that we should aspire to be. We are on our way, but we need to keep winning, recruiting, reloading, and winning.

Dan has us on that path, anyone with a brain can see that. The best thing he's done for this program has been to get everything working in the right direction and laying the foundation to allow a first class basketball program to exist. Everything was backwards before he came here. Every contract re-negotiation, every action, every donation, every anything has helped to make this program better than when he found it.

He is not going to be here forever, he's probably got one more BIG job left in him - and if he wants to get that plum college job, he'll need to get us to the level of a VCU or Dayton to prove that. That takes time.

My 2nd point has always been the sanitary, family-oriented, old person focused Ryan Center experience. No booze for the fans...we don't even have cup holders. No naughty language. No replays. NO REPLAYS. We have a top tier basketball arena, one that I would put against any other in the country - but we just fail to execute and capitalize on everything else that comes with the experience.

You know what you get when you have a family-oriented, old person focused crowd? You get fans who don't want to go out to games on a school night. Fans who don't want to miss a murder-she-wrote marathon. Fans who will complain about the drive to Kingston. Fans who won't drive in bad weather. Fans who won't drive at night. Fans who have other interests above basketball so basketball gets put to the bottom of the priority list.

FOR YEARS the Ryan Center has tried to provide an experience for the casual, family audiences..AND COMPLETELY NEGLECTED THE BASKETBALL FANS - WHAT THE F*#K DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!?

I feel like I've posted this same sentiment (and many others) a billion times on this board. The fans we've marketed to throughout the years suck. They are awful. They complain about noise. About people standing up. About swearing. They complain about the environment they go to like twice a year. They literally complain about everything that makes for good college basketball atmosphere.

Now that most of those fans are dying off we're just in the dealing with the lull between Baron's killing of our program, and growing new fans. Since Hurley has been here the students have come back. Those students will graduate, still be fun people, and care about basketball - so at least we'll have young adult fans, young donors, and young voices who can make changes to the program.

Donaldson's points are harsh, fair, and accurate - even if taken out of the context above.

Exactly like ATP said, as long as this team takes care of what most of us expect this year, we'll see records shattered for attendance and support like no one here could imagine.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

What people have to remember is PC has gone out early in the year and had a win that made the casual fan take notice.Last year against Arizona and the year before Note Dame. If URI beats Cincinnati and gives Duke a good game I would be shocked if people did not come out. Even though like PC, URI'S non conference schedule sucks.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

This team deserves fan support. Get to the Ryan Center!!! I wish I lived in the area to be at every game. I'll be the loud one at the University of Houston game, which is a 3 hour drive for me.

Go Rhody!!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't buy the beat Cinci argument that significant more fans come . What happens if we lose by 2 in a double OT thriller ??
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

quick note...take a look at the Cincy boards. Even they are complaining about fan complacency and poor turn outs. Its all relative
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

A win should result in keeping our ranking and confirm to some that we're over the hump. A loss would be a lot of the same that we've seen over the last couple of years, losing the signature win opportunity. A win and we're on the right track for our first NCAA invite since 1998, a loss and we're critiquing our schedule to figure out where we're going to get the necessary wins so we're not sweating it out on March 12th.

I think it's a pretty big difference. A chance to beat or play Duke close on a national stage doesn't hurt our program, either.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

reef wrote:I don't buy the beat Cinci argument that significant more fans come . What happens if we lose by 2 in a double OT thriller ??
If they lose to Cincinnati in double OT they do not even play Duke so that would be bad. Even though there is a lot of talent on this team I think there are still a lot of people in show me mode. They did not beat any good teams last year except Dayton late in the year. they beat Cincinnati and give Duke a real good game I think people will want to see this team.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

They market to "old" people because those are the people who go to games. They have the money and the time. Check out a PC game at the Dunk.
And I have no problem with the RC being family friendly.
Marketing can always be better but there's a limit on what you can convince someone to do.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, it will be a significant accomplishment for this program to be able to maintain a Top 25 ranking even while sustaining a loss. This happens when we beat Cincy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mongo wrote:This team deserves fan support. Get to the Ryan Center!!! I wish I lived in the area to be at every game. I'll be the loud one at the University of Houston game, which is a 3 hour drive for me.

Go Rhody!!
What city do you live in mongo?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I forgot to factor all the old people dying in the past year into my attendance prediction estimate.
Obadiah,
Can I modify my guess :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm interested to see the attendance difference if (when) we become unranked. I can almost guarantee the first game after not being ranked we will see a pretty big decline in attendance compared to the previous game where we were ranked.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

IMO, losing a close, even overtime game to Cincy, may be the worst scenario for us. We've always been able to play good teams close. The problem is that we just haven't been able to win these games.
Now, having said that, a close win may do wonders for this program.
Of course, a 20 point wouldn't be too bad, either.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I would like to think the potential growing fan base would not so fair weather as to jump off the bandwagon because of being unranked.....as long as we stay in the mix all season.....even a drop into the "others reams receiving votes"....and consistently in the March Madness discussions, the increase of fans will hang in there.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938