Game 3: Brown

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 3: Brown

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tom98, that's our weakness, both on offense and defense. Not enough frontcourt depth, simple as that.....Hassan and KI get in foul trouble, it's game over against the better teams with a big and capable front line.

We haven't played anybody yet that has that, but we will Saturday for sure....

We just aren't balanced enough experience wise yet....our backup bigs are too young to help us much right now....maybe later in the season....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The good news is that we will likely only play a handful of games all year where the opponents front court features two legit bigs - Saturday is one of those games. Our interior defense will have to be stout without fouling. 5 guys on the boards, no leak outs.

After a quiet first half it was refreshing to see us come out and focus on getting Hass touches in 2nd half versus Brown, we can't go a full half again where Hass only gets 1 look.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

bigappleram wrote:Define deep foul trouble? If Hassan picks up 2 fouls in the first half -- Dan's choice will be a Freshman (Cyril) or Berry.
They start 2 guys at 6'9ish and 230+ pounds. Under no scenario can we go smaller than Hass if he is forced to the bench.
Hassan and Iverson only combine for 45 min or less due to foul trouble. If they stay out of foul trouble I expect them to play around 60 min or more.

I could see us going smaller with Akele should those guys end up in foul trouble. Obviously it's not an ideal scenario but I don't think Langevine and Berry are ready for cincy. Langevine will pick up 2 fouls in a minute if he gets in and Berry is just not athletic enough. Maybe the two of those guys combine for 5 minutes but if we're relying on them for more than that we're probably screwed.

Best case scenario is we get their bigs in foul trouble before they get our bigs in foul trouble.

Also a lot will come down to officiating unfortunately. We're two defensive teams so hopefully they let things go otherwise it could be a long game.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Oh they are going to call a ton of fouls. That's practically all college basketball is right now is foul shooting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Strange this discussion is in the Brown game thread... hmmmm
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Surprising amount of negativity here after a rivalry/grudge/trap game that our best player cakewalked thru to the finish line. Last year we got down 30 to these guys. Happens.

Odd thread.

Agree it is challenging to have so much on the line so early in the season but this group signed up for it and should be all in....

Our time is now - Go Rhody!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

josephski wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Define deep foul trouble? If Hassan picks up 2 fouls in the first half -- Dan's choice will be a Freshman (Cyril) or Berry.
They start 2 guys at 6'9ish and 230+ pounds. Under no scenario can we go smaller than Hass if he is forced to the bench.
Hassan and Iverson only combine for 45 min or less due to foul trouble. If they stay out of foul trouble I expect them to play around 60 min or more.

I could see us going smaller with Akele should those guys end up in foul trouble. Obviously it's not an ideal scenario but I don't think Langevine and Berry are ready for cincy. Langevine will pick up 2 fouls in a minute if he gets in and Berry is just not athletic enough. Maybe the two of those guys combine for 5 minutes but if we're relying on them for more than that we're probably screwed.

Best case scenario is we get their bigs in foul trouble before they get our bigs in foul trouble.

Also a lot will come down to officiating unfortunately. We're two defensive teams so hopefully they let things go otherwise it could be a long game.
Akele at the 5 will be taken to the woodshed by UCs front line, he's too light. I do not see a scenario, even in the worse case, where he is ever covering an opposing 5. I would also disagree that Berry is not athletic, he has great footwork and hands and knows how to use/position his body. What he lacks is lateral quickness, but that isn't the only aspect of athleticism. Cyril is green, and as you mentioned, foul prone until his court awareness and speed of the game adjusts to the Div 1 level. But those are our two options at the 5 at this point, again this all is in the scenario where Hass specifically is in foul trouble. Let's hope that doesn't happen. There are more options if its Kuran that has to go to bench.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

URI/brownies it's an odd in state game shouldn't read a hole lot into it. Now let's beat cincy!

GO RHODY!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »