Game 3: Brown

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 3: Brown

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hey 208, maybe so.......they made the plays at the end of a close game to win it.....BUT it's Brown and at home......

It's a start. Now do it on Saturday.......
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Feels like the student fan base is truly gaining moementum. Need a good weekend to continue this support.
0 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Hope this was a wake up call and just a bad game.

Although I'm not sure what to think. Our front court is still a huge question mark and will be our achilles heal if Martin and Iverson can't stay out of foul trouble. Dowtin, Robinson and Thompson also need to combine for more than 4 points.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We still lack quality depth in the frontcourt. Langevine and Layssard have potential, but they are at least a half season away from becoming major contributors. Hassan will be overmatched at times, even as good as he is.... Iverson is still streaky.

Our guards have to carry us for now. Garrett has not played well yet at all. Still can't make FT's either. Terrell and EC late saved us.

25 fouls against a team like Brown is ridiculous also. That has to stop, or we can forget about winning Saturday.

Dan is supposed to be a defensive guru. So why do we still overuse the hands on pressuring defense? You use the feet and body to pressure opponents. Wait until we go on the road if this continues. They will all foul out at this rate.....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Garrett will be fine, he is having to adjust from a scoring PG last year (without EC) to a facilitator this year, he will find the balance...he is averaging 5 APG through 3. Agree he needs to be automatic at the line down the stretch.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Why did Berry not show up in the box score? Did he not play at all?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:They are going to have to play with intensity all the time. What happens on the road without the crowd support.......?????

They can get away with it at home against weaker teams....but
Hey, bud, does this count as 'winning one of the close ones'? ;)
Yes. Hurley now 1-0 in close games in 2016-2017!!

I am shocked that the attendance was 5700. Amazing.
I would have bet under 4000 for Brown.
Maybe will slow down the bitchin about attendance for a while. :roll: :roll:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am glad we were tested as well and came away with the W. I had a feeling the 24.5 was way too many points in this game so I was glad to make some cash taking Brown while Rhody improves to 3-0
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:Garrett has not played well yet at all. Still can't make FT's either.
Garrett had 9 points and 8 assists with 2 turnovers against Marist. Not sure its fair to say he has not played well yet at all. I would take that line from him 100% of the time.
5 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

adam914 wrote:Garrett had 9 points and 8 assists with 2 turnovers against Marist. Not sure its fair to say he has not played well yet at all. I would take that line from him 100% of the time.
couldn't agree more
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hurley said post game that Anderson was the best guard on the floor last night and Spieth was the best player on the floor last night.

Comments clearly aimed at certain individuals in our starting line up. Take your pick but the fact that he chose Anderson specifically as the best guard contained a message for someone or multiple individuals.

Hurley quoted in today's projo the the defense played by his guards last night was "pathetic"
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

If I was Mike Martin, I would have started fouling us with a little over two minutes left and down seven. I think that he did us a favor.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What is the message that a Ivy League freshman point guard was the best guard in a game played on your home court? What does it say that the foul shooting was good early in game, but became horrendous when the chips were on the line late in the game? Is this game an aberration or is it an sign of future struggles??

With Cox you could get a replay of game, so what is the situation on replays now?
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Anyone have a link to the post game show from last night?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I'm not surprised at how they played last night. I think having two huge blowouts in a row with a huge game looming really caused them to overlook Brown. Hopefully they can ramp it back up Saturday.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think Cincy fans are licking their chops right now that we had a semi-close game with an Ivy league school. But Ram fans know that A. it was the third game this week and B. Brown always plays us and PC close (and beating PC), like others have mentioned. So were almost at a level where they (cincy) won't take us seriously which can be an advantage for Rhody.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You guys are a lot more forgiving than Hurley was last night and today.
If guards are going to let up Because they are tired or not as focused then it's time to let others play in their place. Hurley said the guard defensive play was horrible so then give Dowtin a chance. No excuses. This team is deep now. Let's see how deep it is.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

It looked to me like we were getting beat off the dribble, allowing their guards to get into the lane for a layup, we'd either have Hass/KI come in from behind trying to block it or leave them for a wide open conversion. Obviously Hass was able to block a few, but it left the backside wide open for offensive rebounds and putbacks - while increasing the likelihood of putting both HM and KI in foul trouble.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i watched the game last night..

a bit too close for comfort

w/o analyzing stats, the rebounding boxing out seemed missing at times

lack of inside game is a little troubling

all in all tho, survive and advance

the real test is vs Cincy

go get 'em Rhody

this is the game we all have circled months ago
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote: With Cox you could get a replay of game, so what is the situation on replays now?
I asked the A-10 site about this after the first game since I missed most of it, and they said it is up to each individual school who runs the stream to provide an archive for them to post on the site.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I was happy with last night. Don't get me wrong we played uncharacteristically poor defense, made uncharacteristically unforced turnovers, and played just an uncharacteristically sluggish, sloppy, and poor game...but we still got the win.

We had a classic trap game after blowing out to wildly inferior opponents with a big weekend looming. Brown came into a rivalry game battle tested after getting waxed by Cincinnati. 2 years ago PC had a similar situation looking ahead to Kentucky...and LOST to Brown at home.

I loved everything I heard from Dan in the post game - most notably when he said that everyone was waiting for Hassan to make a block, then getting awful full of themselves and trying to break out for a dunk instead of going for the loose ball. Same with rebounds. We just overlooked Brown and expected to win regardless.

I'd rather play like this before the weekend than have a false confidence. The closeness of this game should take the edge off and remind the guys that they need to be up for Saturday or they'll get crushed. I have full faith we'll be ready for the Bearcats.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Oh boy was that a struggle last night. Getting beat on the boards by Brown is a serious concern. Lots of unforced turnovers and bad passes when we needed to stretch the lead out. I would agree with our front court still being very thin. It will be very difficult matchup for Hass come Sat when going against legit 6'9 5's.The other frontcourt players are a work in progress. Berry has fantastic hands but still is a step behind in terms of movement on switches which was very obvious against Marist and Dartmouth. Cincinnati will be a serious jump in terms of speed and athlete compared to those opponents. I think our bigs will have to stay out of foul trouble and our guards will have to play out of their minds to have a shot Saturday honestly which I am still very optimistic about. Are we overrated at this time ? I truly think so at this point being at 21. Are we a top 45 team with a much higher ceiling if all starts to click in this season ? I belive so.

Looking forward to making the trip this weekend for some good basketball.

As always GO RAMS !!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Agree with Blue Man. Classic trap game in between two blowouts and ranked opponents. Dan will get their attention this week.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:Anyone have a link to the post game show from last night?
Sorry, forgot to post this last night.

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27484265/
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The frontcourt is going to be a concern all year. We're going to miss Watson's production.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Unfortunately, Jared was forced to play 36 minutes last night against what should have been an inferior opponent. I'm guessing he's getting a lot of time in the tub today. Oh, wait...
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote:Brown came into a rivalry game battle tested after getting waxed by Cincinnati. 2 years ago PC had a similar situation looking ahead to Kentucky...and LOST to Brown at home.

I loved everything I heard from Dan in the post game - most notably when he said that everyone was waiting for Hassan to make a block, then getting awful full of themselves and trying to break out for a dunk instead of going for the loose ball. Same with rebounds. We just overlooked Brown and expected to win regardless.
Good insight on the Brown win vs PC 2 years ago. I read that in the paper and was trying to figure out what the heck happened there...thanks.

Was great hearing DH mention the 'waiting for Hassan to make a block' part, too. It's total suck-dom to see blocked shots by one team lead to UNCONTESTED put backs for the other team.

Keep up the great work, Hassan...but for crying out loud...no more fouls outside the paint...please?
It feels like a little gut-punch every time that happens....
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:Unfortunately, Jared was forced to play 36 minutes last night against what should have been an inferior opponent. I'm guessing he's getting a lot of time in the tub today. Oh, wait...
Can you elaborate on the tub reference?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NJRhodyFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Unfortunately, Jared was forced to play 36 minutes last night against what should have been an inferior opponent. I'm guessing he's getting a lot of time in the tub today. Oh, wait...
The state has shut down the SADC hot and cold tubs due to some bullshit "re-branding" of them from medical devices to pools so the "appropriate filtration and signage" need to be brought up to code or something.

Absolutely ridiculous. There's another thread on it, and I'm not sure of an update.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Blue Man wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
The state has shut down the SADC hot and cold tubs due to some bullshit "re-branding" of them from medical devices to pools so the "appropriate filtration and signage" need to be brought up to code or something.

Absolutely ridiculous. There's another thread on it, and I'm not sure of an update.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a load of bureaucratic horseshit if you ask me.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

For the issue on the tubs, please see the dedicated thread we have on the subject. I just updated it with the latest from Thorr Bjorn who was on Chris DiSano's pre-game show last night. It does not appear that there was any change in the rules, but perhaps a mistake/misinterpretation of code years ago by designers/architects to consider these as medical devices rather than pools.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Call it a trap game, bad game, lack of effort or whatever but this game showed the same issues we've seen in the past. Lack of big men, lack of depth, too many fouls, no flow to our offense at times and poor free throw shooting. It's not even like Brown was playing incredibly well, we were just bad. I'd like to think that will be our worst game of the season but it's definitely not comforting seeing us play like that against a team picked to finish last in the ivy league. Also calling it a rivalry game is being generous. We were 18-2 in our past 20 meetings before last night and 104-53 all time.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:Call it a trap game, bad game, lack of effort or whatever but this game showed the same issues we've seen in the past. Lack of big men, lack of depth, too many fouls, no flow to our offense at times and poor free throw shooting. It's not even like Brown was playing incredibly well, we were just bad. I'd like to think that will be our worst game of the season but it's definitely not comforting seeing us play like that against a team picked to finish last in the ivy league. Also calling it a rivalry game is being generous. We were 18-2 in our past 20 meetings before last night and 104-53 all time.
What "same issues?" Did we watch the same game? Every issue was uncharacteristic of what we've seen of a Dan Hurley team. Not hustling for loose balls. Not committing on D. Low IQ plays. Out worked on the glass.

Also..yeah...it's exactly like Brown was playing incredibly well. They hustled for loose balls. Hustled for everything. Outworked us. Fought back, made timely shots, didn't give in even when down 15. Kept at it after getting blocked in the lane while we were already running up the floor.

Winning or not it's a rivalry game. Just like it is when they play PC. Does URI/PC not count as a rivalry now because They're 12-5 against us in the last 17 years? 72-50 all time?

Also, every pundit I've heard of has said those Ivy rankings are crap. After watching Dartmouth and Brown, and based on the Hurley saying Harvard wasn't a challenge...there's probably something to that.

I don't know about this lack of big men you're seeing...the game isn't the same it was in the 90's. Dayton won NCAA games without a guy over 6'7 on their roster. We have 2 bigger than that in the starting lineup and 2 more on the bench. Only 1 is a freshman, but he looks like he's going to contribute.

It was a trap game. Nothing less, nothing more.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed with Blue man, lets cap the Brown game and get hat Cincy thread going.
0 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote:Call it a trap game, bad game, lack of effort or whatever but this game showed the same issues we've seen in the past. Lack of big men, lack of depth, too many fouls, no flow to our offense at times and poor free throw shooting. It's not even like Brown was playing incredibly well, we were just bad. I'd like to think that will be our worst game of the season but it's definitely not comforting seeing us play like that against a team picked to finish last in the ivy league. Also calling it a rivalry game is being generous. We were 18-2 in our past 20 meetings before last night and 104-53 all time.
What "same issues?" Did we watch the same game? Every issue was uncharacteristic of what we've seen of a Dan Hurley team. Not hustling for loose balls. Not committing on D. Low IQ plays. Out worked on the glass.

Also..yeah...it's exactly like Brown was playing incredibly well. They hustled for loose balls. Hustled for everything. Outworked us. Fought back, made timely shots, didn't give in even when down 15. Kept at it after getting blocked in the lane while we were already running up the floor.

Winning or not it's a rivalry game. Just like it is when they play PC. Does URI/PC not count as a rivalry now because They're 12-5 against us in the last 17 years? 72-50 all time?

Also, every pundit I've heard of has said those Ivy rankings are crap. After watching Dartmouth and Brown, and based on the Hurley saying Harvard wasn't a challenge...there's probably something to that.

I don't know about this lack of big men you're seeing...the game isn't the same it was in the 90's. Dayton won NCAA games without a guy over 6'7 on their roster. We have 2 bigger than that in the starting lineup and 2 more on the bench. Only 1 is a freshman, but he looks like he's going to contribute.

Yea clearly we did watch a different game. I agree that the lack of effort was uncharacteristic of what we've seen from Dan's teams but as I listed, there other issues. Maybe they were all due to the lack of effort but we've seen them before and I'll list them again for you. Also Brown shot 38% from the field and 33% from 3. We shot 58% from the field at 38% from 3. Like I said Brown didn't play incredibly well. They played hard but it's not like they were just draining 3s at a ridiculous rate.

1. Lack of Big men. Yes we have Hassan and Iverson but they both have had problems staying out of foul trouble. Akele and Langevine aren't exactly the guys I want to be relying on when Hass and Iverson are in foul trouble or need a break against better competition.

2. Lack of depth. Four points from our three guards on the bench. Berry's not going to contribute like the majority of this board thought he would. Yes we have more depth than we've had previously but which players can we rely on to come in the game and be a factor?

3. Too many fouls. If you really don't think this is an issue we've had previously then I don't believe you've watched us play the last couple seasons.

4. No flow to the offense. When Brown went to zone we looked like we had no idea what to do. EC also disappeared for a while during the middle of the game. Offense looking stagnant at times.

5. Poor free throw shooting. Again, we've had this issue before. Poor free throw shooting in close games and at the end of games hurts us.

I don't know why you're comparing our big men situation to Dayton. Dayton could play without a guy over 6'7 because they all could stretch the floor and shoot well while still having five of their best players on the floor. If we play a lineup like that we won't have our five best guys in the game.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

A couple of remaining thoughts
1. Regardless of how the students cheer, there were great numbers last night - bodes well for future games.
2. I thought JT did well, he seems very confident on the floor. During the last couple of time outs after the coaches finished speaking, he brought the players on the floor together to encourage them and give them instructions.
3. We had 4 co captains meeting the refs at the start of the game. Did I miss that announcement.
4. KI can be an enigma. Some poor passes early drove Hurley crazy. After the second one, he looked at the bench like he was going to yank him but we were only 4 minutes into the game. We need him on the boards, if not Langevine will get more minutes. On the other hand his interior passing, at times, is excellent.
5.Yes, EC disappeared through out the middle of the game. Letting the game "come to him". Not sure. But in crunch time, he took over the game.
6.Looking for a win on Saturday. I am very tired of moral victories. "The last shot WILL go in"
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Yea clearly we did watch a different game. I agree that the lack of effort was uncharacteristic of what we've seen from Dan's teams but as I listed, there other issues. Maybe they were all due to the lack of effort but we've seen them before and I'll list them again for you. Also Brown shot 38% from the field and 33% from 3. We shot 58% from the field at 38% from 3. Like I said Brown didn't play incredibly well. They played hard but it's not like they were just draining 3s at a ridiculous rate.

1. Lack of Big men. Yes we have Hassan and Iverson but they both have had problems staying out of foul trouble. Akele and Langevine aren't exactly the guys I want to be relying on when Hass and Iverson are in foul trouble or need a break against better competition.

2. Lack of depth. Four points from our three guards on the bench. Berry's not going to contribute like the majority of this board thought he would. Yes we have more depth than we've had previously but which players can we rely on to come in the game and be a factor?

3. Too many fouls. If you really don't think this is an issue we've had previously then I don't believe you've watched us play the last couple seasons.

4. No flow to the offense. When Brown went to zone we looked like we had no idea what to do. EC also disappeared for a while during the middle of the game. Offense looking stagnant at times.

5. Poor free throw shooting. Again, we've had this issue before. Poor free throw shooting in close games and at the end of games hurts us.

I don't know why you're comparing our big men situation to Dayton. Dayton could play without a guy over 6'7 because they all could stretch the floor and shoot well while still having five of their best players on the floor. If we play a lineup like that we won't have our five best guys in the game.
I think based on what we've come to know about Dan's teams so far, you always get effort. That's why I'm not concerned in the least. Brown's fight was good enough to keep them in the game, which is what we saw from Dan's first 2 teams here - effort but not firepower to get the W's.

Points are accurate with regard to the big men, I'll give you that. Berry hasn't turned in the kind of minutes I thought we'd see so far. Fouls are going to be a part of our style of defense, I just think we're deep enough to absorb them - at least to the 2,3, and 4 spots. Also some of those fouls were WILD calls. You'd think a ranked team at home wouldn't be dealing with that crap.

The bench points last night were in contrast to the first 2 games, so again I'm looking at the trap game angle.

I would chalk up the offense going stagnant to the effort at times, but even with that stagnation in the middle, we still had 16 assists on 30 made shots. That's a great number. Based on the assist numbers in the first 2 games I think our offense is flowing fine.

Free throws were rough. It had been better earlier. Hopefully we make the ones we need to in the big games.

The Dayton comparison is because I think our offense is at a level that allows us to spread the floor, but more importantly because of our depth. We're going to wear teams down with the rotations we run.

I'm still just looking at this as a trap game and looking forward to us being on the level of a ranked team this weekend.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

EC disappearing was weird.
The guys were mostly sleep walking. JT and EC could drive in on them with ease. Even with that zone.
Just lots of lazy passes and being surprised we weren't killing them.
And our D was lackluster as hell for us. That was the only reason they would get any momentum because they kept driving on us and they'd get right by us and score or get fouled. If we really came to play we would've shut them down. And they also played really well, with tons of energy.

Jared Terrell looks really really good right now. Can definitely tell he's better. He made a crazy reverse layup in the second half.

The fouling is my biggest concern. I'd rather not put cinci on the line 30 times.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There was no role for Berry in that style of game last night, they were playing 4 out and had no traditional big.
I am willing to guess, based on the UC matchup, big Andre sees the floor on Saturday. Along with Langevine.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Based on what I have seen I am very impressed with JT seems like his shooting has improved
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

josephski wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

To point 4, we scored 79 points on 57% shooting from the field. We're currently 23rd in the nation in field goal percentage at 53.3%. 57% would be good for 8th in the nation right now. Cincinnati put up 84 on Brown for comparison. I just don't see how anyone can say our problems last night had anything to do with our offense. The only reasons it was close were poor defense and rebounding.

To point 5, people on this board talking about free throws is such a tired thing, that I needed to see if it was based on any kind of reality, and no surprise last night it played almost no effect. In the last nine minutes and change we took 5 free throws, and we made 3. With 28 seconds left up 7, EC hit one of 2. With 16 seconds left up 6, EC missed the front of a one and one. With two seconds left up 5, Terrell hit 2 free throws. You'd obviously like to see EC do better than 1 of 3 in that situation, but free throws had zero to do with the outcome and I'm confident EC will do better in the future.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:There was no role for Berry in that style of game last night, they were playing 4 out and had no traditional big.
I am willing to guess, based on the UC matchup, big Andre sees the floor on Saturday. Along with Langevine.
Yep, Berry always has been and in my opinion will continue to be a matchup play. There will be games where he doesnt see the court and games where he plays solid minutes.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

What's Berry's matchup play? When we play teams with slow, unathletic big men?

There's no shot he gets on the court against cincy unless we're in deep foul trouble.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Define deep foul trouble? If Hassan picks up 2 fouls in the first half -- Dan's choice will be a Freshman (Cyril) or Berry.
They start 2 guys at 6'9ish and 230+ pounds. Under no scenario can we go smaller than Hass if he is forced to the bench.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We need to establish some type of post game from our front court. Hass needs to post up and establish we can get baskets in the paint. If not we become very predictable to defend and puts a lot of pressure on our gurards to make outside shots.
0 x