EC Matthews One of Nation's Best Kept Secrets

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

EC Matthews One of Nation's Best Kept Secrets

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: EC Matthews One of Nation's Best Kept Secrets

Unread post by ramster »

But wait,

Don't we have to see what URI does first? Don't we have to see the results on the floor and in the won-lost column?
our own Kevin Mac of the Projo is not convinced URI is a top 25 team, and needs it to be proven to him.

In all seriousness, this has the makings of am truly remarkable year for URI Basketball!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I don't have any issue with people waiting and putting URI just outside the top 25 until they see what we do against Cincy. Honestly, if we lose to them, we really don't belong in the Top 25.

Hopefully we win and we will be very securely in the top 20 even after an generally expected loss to Duke.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I don't have any issue with people waiting and putting URI just outside the top 25 until they see what we do against Cincy. Honestly, if we lose to them, we really don't belong in the Top 25.

Hopefully we win and we will be very securely in the top 20 even after an generally expected loss to Duke.
I completely agree, and honestly, maybe I'll get killed for saying this but I don't see us beating Cincy. Not that we have no chance or I'll be shocked if we win or anything like that, I just don't think we are quite there yet. I guess I am still in a bit of wait and see mode as well. I expect this to be a much better team come January.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh and I should add, very nice EC article!
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I don't have any issue with people waiting and putting URI just outside the top 25 until they see what we do against Cincy. Honestly, if we lose to them, we really don't belong in the Top 25.

I completely agree, and honestly, maybe I'll get killed for saying this but I don't see us beating Cincy. Not that we have no chance or I'll be shocked if we win or anything like that, I just don't think we are quite there yet. I guess I am still in a bit of wait and see mode as well. I expect this to be a much better team come January.
Completely agree but didn't want to say anything figuring I'd get ripped apart on this board. As you said, I wouldn't be surprised if we won but I just think Cincy has a more experienced team when it comes to big games like this.

I also believe if we lose to Cincy then they will be the best team we play until the NCAA tournament so as much as a loss will suck it's not going to change my opinion of this team or cause any concern.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

While the teams are very similar, so far against fairly similar opponents played at home, URI has shown much better depth in terms of MPG as well as better point distribution.

Perhaps with these two teams going head to head, Rhody can stay fresher and keep their top crew on the floor longer, or sustain a high level even with their 2nd team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm not so sure that EC is a secret.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

With most people predicting 22-25 wins I would imagine a lot of people expect us to lose to Cincy. I have one of the more optimistic predictions yes I still expected Cincy to be one of our 4-7 losses on the season.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

josephski wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Completely agree but didn't want to say anything figuring I'd get ripped apart on this board. As you said, I wouldn't be surprised if we won but I just think Cincy has a more experienced team when it comes to big games like this.

I also believe if we lose to Cincy then they will be the best team we play until the NCAA tournament so as much as a loss will suck it's not going to change my opinion of this team or cause any concern.
Probably many that feel the same way...booked this into their prediction as a possible loss...but, wouldn't be shocked if they won. The part about EC tho...he is not going to be a 'secret' for long (if he still is)...can't remember someone being the best player on the court in a couple games like this and being so %&#@ smooth about it...'effortless' isn't the right word, but he makes it look easy...for him.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody Guy wrote:With most people predicting 22-25 wins I would imagine a lot of people expect us to lose to Cincy. I have one of the more optimistic predictions yes I still expected Cincy to be one of our 4-7 losses on the season.
The way I looked at it for the contest was that its basically a 1-1 weekend either way. Beat Cincy and lose to Duke or lose to Cincy and beat Penn State.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I don't see us losing to Cincy unless we come out too flat for too long. It looks like E.C. is entering some next level shit in front of our eyes, all that efficiency talk we did about him in the past, should remain there. He was always a prolific scorer, his angular work is superior, but put that with his increased awareness and thank the lord his knee looks like a full recovery, we're looking at one of the greatest Rhody Rams ever. I think the Cincy game will be a battle and we will prevail on a Martin swat in the final seconds.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think the key to winning this game is shooting from Jarvis/Jared/Kuran. We need 45%+ from all of the 3 of them. I anticipate Cincy basically selling out to eliminate EC.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Big RPI boost if the former happens, plus beating Cincy would be big come March for sure....Cincy right now looks pretty good to be tops in the AAC of course it's early.....UConn looks like dreck right now but they will rally, they usually do,,,,
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI wins.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think we match up well with Cinci - size wise they're not huge. 6'9 and 6'8 up front. 6'6, 6'4, 5'10 in the back. Pretty even there. Not any more than we have off the bench either. Looks like they've played 8 guys over 10 mins a game in the first 2, we played 10 guys. Those 2 extra bodies is a difference-maker considering the level our 2nd grouping looks like they can play at.

Bearcats may have some experience...but I wouldn't discount what last year did for the experience of everyone on this club. Lot of grinders and only 2 freshman who will see relevant minutes. Everyone had to work last year and I really don't see any rust on EC. I think we'll be just fine.

Not guaranteeing a win or anything, but I believe we're accurately ranked, and we should win this game against a lower ranked team, no matter the name on the front of the jerseys.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think their size and speed will be an adjustment for our guys versus the first 3 games.
But I think our defensive intensity will be something they have not seen before. Should go down to the wire.
This is a type of game where guys like Kuran & Stan can be difference makers. They are X factors. The stars on both sides prob cancel each other out and it comes down to the role players. I like our chances.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The eye test tells me we look better. Definitely have more depth.
Both our defenses make it seem impossible that it won't be a close game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

True. We will struggle to score at times against them, but so will they against us. They have a different level of athlete than what we play in the first 3 games.

In a game like this, the little things will make the difference.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Cinci is a great program. Go out on a limb and predict URI wins. Whats the harm?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The game vs Cinci will be an all out war. I expect no team to have a double digit lead and I will Predict a win for Rhody 65-62
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Atlantic 10 Leaders through URI's first 5 Games:

Points per Game
10th EC Mathews 17.4
13th Jared Terrell 16.0
22nd Hassan Martin 13.6

Rebounds per Game
7th Hassan Martin 7.4
15th Kuran Iverson 5.8

Field Goal Percentage
3rd Hassan Martin 72.2%
12th EC Mathews 55.4%

Assists per Game
7th Jarvis Garrett 4.6

Free Throw Percentage
7th Jared Terrell 89.5%
8th Hassan Martin 88.9%

3 Point Percentage
10th EC Mathews 47.6%
11th Jared Terrell 47.4%

Blocked Shots
1st Hassan Martin 4.8 bpg
10th Cyril Langevine 1.0 bpg
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Still early but how about Hassan shooting 88% from the foul line
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's incredible BAR that was my first thought after looking at those stats
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What is even more amazing is that Hassan has hit 15 consecutive Free Throws since the end of the Dartmouth Game
Dartmouth 2-4. He hit his last FT but missed his 3rd FT
Marist 9-9
Brown 0-0
Cincinnati 4-4
Duke 1-1

So he has a total for the season so far of 16-18 but has made his last 15.

Also interesting if you have watched him is how smooth and confident he is at the line this year. He has a nice release and the 15 consecutive shots he has hit have most all been right down the middle - no lucky bounces - just great shooting touch
In the Duke game he hit some nice 15 foot jumpers too.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I think Hassan's offseason work on outside shooting may be manifesting itself not so much in game action but definitely at the free throw line!
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Also a passive look at his offensive counting stats (13.6 ppg, 7.4 rpg) won't reveal as such, but due to his shooting percentages and blocks the advanced stats accounting for usage and defense would probably have Hassan near tops in the country. My goodness...

But getting back around to the subject of this thread, EC returning certainly has a part in that.
Last edited by rhodyruckus 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like Hassan's jump hook !!
0 x