Michael Tertsea Will Redshirt

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Mongo
ARD

Michael Tertsea Will Redshirt

Unread post by Mongo »

Michael Tertsea not in uniform for #URI tonight. Worked out about three hours before the game with Jim Carr, Antonio Reynolds Dean. #Rams
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Michael Tertsea Possible Red Shirt

Unread post by adam914 »

Coach Cox just announced it on the pregame show with Disano. He will redshirt.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Michael Tertsea Possible Red Shirt

Unread post by bigappleram »

David Cox just confirmed on Chris Disano's pre-game Facebook Live that he will be redshirting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Michael Tertsea Will Redshirt

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So much for the chatter here that we don't redshirt. I like the move
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The writing was on the wall when he didn't get in versus Dartmouth but the walk-ons did. I have to imagine being redshirted is demoralizing, but hopefully he's able to take advantage of the year of preparation.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I doubt it is that demoralizing. He isn't ready to contribute meaningful minutes yet. I think it would be more demoralizing to waste a year of your college career by sitting at the end of the bench and playing 10-15 minutes the whole season, all meaningless and against the other teams' walk-ons.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

TruePoint wrote:I doubt it is that demoralizing. He isn't ready to contribute meaningful minutes yet. I think it would be more demoralizing to waste a year of your college career by sitting at the end of the bench and playing 10-15 minutes the whole season, all meaningless and against the other teams' walk-ons.
Hopefully he understands that to be the case, wouldn't want to waist a season of eligibility if it can be avoided. He's still part of the team so will be immersed in the culture of a strong, well run, college basketball program. He gets to practice and travel with the team. Also a redshirt season can get him an extra year of college for free, not to be dismissed, that has a value of at least 40K+, he could explore a second academic discipline or get some free graduate course work. A redshirt season could be a total boon for an individual who is prepared to take full advantage of it.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yup, to me redshirting means the team values you and has you in their plans as a contributor going forward and dont want to waste a year of eligibility. sitting on the end of the bench to play 10min on the year would send me the message Im not wanted
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:yup, to me redshirting means the team values you and has you in their plans as a contributor going forward and dont want to waste a year of eligibility. sitting on the end of the bench to play 10min on the year would send me the message Im not wanted
Agreed. Talk about how far this program has come; from a bare cupboard to more talent than we can afford in a season in 4 years.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This is a kid who is also very interested in academics and came to URI to improve his game. Five years of college courses and working with this staff on his game is fine with him.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Thank God for the signing of Langevine, the last big to sign. Having Layssard or Tertsea backing up Hassan would not have been good.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."