Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2016-17

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cincy and PC games IMO had biggest chance to impact attendance, for the reasons you alluded to ATP.

Just being ranked is a boon for the program, and if we can beat Valpo, Houston and PC all in true road games you would have to think we will move up...albeit none of those will be cakewalk wins, they are all Top 100 wins.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote:Cincy and PC games IMO had biggest chance to impact attendance, for the reasons you alluded to ATP.

Just being ranked is a boon for the program, and if we can beat Valpo, Houston and PC all in true road games you would have to think we will move up...albeit none of those will be cakewalk wins, they are all Top 100 wins.
Yes all three will be tough. I'm thinking we go 2-1 in those games.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As long as the one loss isn't PC........
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Also, side note, how is no one talking about these jerseys?? They are gorgeous. Even the ones in the store, the material and details are amazing. Best color combination in the country.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Cincy and PC games IMO had biggest chance to impact attendance, for the reasons you alluded to ATP.

Yes all three will be tough. I'm thinking we go 2-1 in those games.
I'm thinkin 3-0 baby!
We are better than those teams, so we should beat'em.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to be tough to sweep those 3 I will say 2-1
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we are going to have the kind of season we hope to, we have to beat PC and go at least 2-1.

These are road games, we haven't seen them play one yet......if we don't play well, we could lose to any one of them.....

We passed a big test on Saturday....the next big one will be next Tuesday.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

You jumped Cincinnati over Rhode Island after UC lost to the Rams?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -the-rams/
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

One of the best weekly articles: Poll Attacks!!!
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Amazing how a voter can be so stupid
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I love that Gary Parish and our very own ATP are holding the voters to account for their reasoning. Keep em honest. I mean, if you can make your living writing about sports then you have one of the best jobs out there, pay attention hacks!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I agree this is one of the dumber things I've seen, but you see this stuff all the time - like the writers who left Verlander off the Cy Young ballot.

The polls are highly subjective, and way more so in the first 2 weeks of the season. You're literally judging teams based on how everyone has judged teams without actually seeing them play.

I was kind of fired up yesterday, but really, it's November. The polls don't mean dick now. Every pollster can't watch 40 basketball games a day to make an "informed" opinion on the exact polls - you honestly don't even know who's going to be good yet. Look at Oregon. Pre-season ranked #4 and on their way out of the rankings after last night.

As long as there is a number next to our name, that's all the intrigue the casual fan should need to show up and tune into this team.

Win and the rest takes care of itself.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I mostly agree with Blue Man, though I'll admit to taking extra enjoyment seeing Texas' loss last night
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yes people make mistakes, but it's not like URI has a lot of room for error and we deserve every vote possible. If a voter messes up then it could have some negative misleading implication come selection Sunday. That might be outlandish but it does hold some truth.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote:Yes people make mistakes, but it's not like URI has a lot of room for error and we deserve every vote possible. If a voter messes up then it could have some negative misleading implication come selection Sunday. That might be outlandish but it does hold some truth.
There are like 100 days and 4000 college basketball games between now and selection Sunday.

What a single voter does or doesnt do in the 2nd week of polls means so little I can't even begin to explain that. Your ranking in November, December, January, February or the first week in March doesn't matter. You also don't need to be ranked to get into the tournament.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We're going to be driving ourselves crazy all year if we worry about every little vote in the polls. The reality of the situation is that most likely any loss at this point is going to drop us out of the Top 25. And news flash, we are going to lose some games this year! RPI will have a much larger effect on our chances in March than any poll.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Yes people make mistakes, but it's not like URI has a lot of room for error and we deserve every vote possible. If a voter messes up then it could have some negative misleading implication come selection Sunday. That might be outlandish but it does hold some truth.
There are like 100 days and 4000 college basketball games between now and selection Sunday.

What a single voter does or doesnt do in the 2nd week of polls means so little I can't even begin to explain that. Your ranking in November, December, January, February or the first week in March doesn't matter. You also don't need to be ranked to get into the tournament.
Could say the same thing about one isolated call in a game but yet ....
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

These polls mean nothing come March. But they mean plenty until then -- ranked teams get their highlights on ESPN, they're mentioned more often on the crawls etc. It creates a perception that captures the attention of the casual fans, and the casual fans are how we get our attendance from 4,500 a night to 7,500 a night.

And as for that "thin Dook bench" crap? So they only had seven McDonald's All-Americans available. How many did we have?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:These polls mean nothing come March. But they mean plenty until then -- ranked teams get their highlights on ESPN, they're mentioned more often on the crawls etc. It creates a perception that captures the attention of the casual fans, and the casual fans are how we get our attendance from 4,500 a night to 7,500 a night.

And as for that "thin Dook bench" crap? So they only had seven McDonald's All-Americans available. How many did we have?
Exactly. The polls won't be the deciding factor whether we make the tournament or not but they help build the program's national presence. It's basically free advertising which URI can definitely use.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Polls matter. Guess what, our preseason rank made a difference in Russel's decision to sign with us. Just another example of how/why they matter, but enough can not be said about the significance of the free national press a top 25 spot gets a program, it boosts the profile of the whole university. I'm 100% sure it's one of the things Thorr was looking forward to when he hired DH, men's BB raising the profile of the whole department anyway.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I love seeing us in the Polls. I loved it back in the Jim Harrick Days too but it has been a long. long dry spell since Harrick so I am going to enjoy every Poll, and hopefully this continues all season long :D :D

Number of Voters out of 65 that did not have URI in the Top 25:
Week 1 Poll - 26
Week 2 Poll - 16
Week 3 Poll - 13

So we are making good, steady progress.

I'll take 4-1 with the only loss being to Duke right now by 10 points.

Now need to win the next 4 games...............no room for losses in these 4 games and expect to stay ranked.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I 100% agree about the polls mattering in terms of a high profile, media exposure, and casual fan interest. I am just saying that exact number doesnt matter. Just having a number is what matters.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree completely. Does not matter to me much if it's 25, 22, 20, 18.....just stay in it.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes it is great we are still in there and if we beat
Belmont we should be in at least another week
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

On the coaches show steve pointed out that rhodys record is 4 consecutive weeks being ranked. Need to win through PC for that to happen.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:On the coaches show steve pointed out that rhodys record is 4 consecutive weeks being ranked. Need to win through PC for that to happen.
We have already been in three successive week's poll counting the preseason poll. A win over Belmont would likely be a fourth week.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

One more reason to go into the Donut Hole and barbecue the Fryizz.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Interesting Iowa State, FSU, WVU, and then the Baylor/Mich ST game. Those teams are all ranked close to us.

IF MSU wins do they jump us? Any of the other teams ahead of us lose will we move up?

A10 almost always has at least 1 team in the second weekend. Then almost always has 1 team on the fringe of the top 25. Its bullshit.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if we beat Belmont close to the spread we pick up a spot to # 22 AP
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Voting also depends on how you beat teams. We could jump a couple spots if we blow them out. I expect us to jump to 22.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We must beat Belmont to stay in polls. It is the only game we have this week.

This version on the poll from ESPN shows the performance of each team vs opponents for the previous week and for the current week.

How you move up,or down, depends on your own week performance of course but heavily impacted on what the other teams do for the week too.

Some teams are sure to drop out. Texas, Michigan state, Florida state and Michigan are all sure to drop out based on losses this week. Some are knocking on the door like Florida now 5-0

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... asontype/2
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

There's no truth to the rumor that Huggins is passing out whisky shots at half time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huggins is not long for being ranked if this keeps up.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very surprised WVU lost

What's Sponge up to these days ??
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Cuse just lost to South Carolina. With Cuse, West Virginia and Texas all losing we should jump at least 2-3 spots. Obviously our games at Valpo and at PC will be a huge factor in how much longer we stay in the top 25.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

South Carolina will also jump in. They beat down Michigan and Cuse. They may even jump ahead of us.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very true make way for the South Carolina Game Cocks
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Out of AP Poll will be Texas, Michigan, Michigan State and Florida State all having at least one loss this week. Syracuse and West Virginia will be fighting to stay in

Contenders for spots could be:
South Carolina (6-0)
Butler (6-0)
Ohio State (6-0)
Maryland (6-0)
TCU (6-0)
Notre Dame (6-0)
USC (5-0)
Houston (5-0)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think Temple might get in. Also, Iowa State has a loss. I think we go to #19.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I highly doubt we rise any higher than 1 spot, let alone jump to 19. Lot of teams behind us with wins this week to stay undefeated. Meanwhile, we beat Belmont by 9 at home without their best player.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped a spot by default.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Winning the next 2 would get them inside 20
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Issue with the voters is that they aren't all informed on all teams. You really need the teams informed about your program to vote you up. Local Yokal isn't exactly helping us out.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Issue with the voters is that they aren't all informed on all teams. You really need the teams informed about your program to vote you up. Local Yokal isn't exactly helping us out.
Wait...are you saying that ProJo coverage doesn't dictate Rhody's ranking? :o
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Issue with the voters is that they aren't all informed on all teams. You really need the teams informed about your program to vote you up. Local Yokal isn't exactly helping us out.
Maybe someone has crunched the numbers and can provide a definitive answer, but I'd actually think the opposite. i.e. If you're a less informed voter, you probably just move teams up if they win (regardless of who it's against) and move teams down if they lose (unless it's against like a Top 5 team).
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yeah this is all my own opinion from just following other big schools and the other school I went to that is a blue blood. It seems there is so much that doesn't go into rating teams rather than so much that does.

I'm also assuming URI stays where they're at or moves up 1 and gets jumped by some unranked.

My thing about the local voters is that I don't think anyone outside of the Northeast is giving URI 2 thoughts in terms of the team's current narrative. I could be wrong. I just think the voters that pay attention provide a buoy for a team like ours at this point in the season. URI could/should be in the teens going off of records, quality of opponents, margin of victory, and original starting place. I just don't think they will.

There are tons of stories about voters that just vote because they have the vote or let other people vote for them.

Hope we move up.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Seth Davis has us at 22, up from 25 this week
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

We should get a decent bump. I'll go with #20. The 3 teams immediately beneath us lost. 4 of the 5 teams immediately above us lost. As high as #18 would not really surprise me.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I'll be shocked if we move up at all. Lot of unranked teams stayed undefeated and had big wins this week.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

South Carolina Butler and Maryland probably crack the polls and we should be right around the same as last week
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RJ's Top 25 Rankings (Projected)

1) Kentucky
2) Villanova
3) North Carolina
4) Kansas
5) Duke
6) Virginia
7) Xavier
8) Arizona
9) Gonzaga
10) Indiana
11) Creighton
12) Baylor
13) Louisville
14) UCLA
15) St. Mary's
16) Purdue
17) Wisconsin
18) South Carolina
19) Iowa St.
20) Butler
21) Oregon
22) URI
23) West Virginia
24) Syracuse
25) Michigan St.
-----------------------------
26) Florida
27) Maryland
28) Notre Dame
29) Florida St.
30) Cincinnati
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x