2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

reef wrote:3500 is really low but I guess students gone and football Sunday that's all we could get


Some perspective:

4,069 with capacity for 12,400 for 32.8% full for PC - Wagner on Saturday
3,537 with capacity for 7,657 for 46.2% full for URI - Holy Cross on Sunday
1 x

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

I know I've asked this before but.....Is that 3537 the amount of tickets sold? Or is it the actual amount of fannies in the seats? It looked like there were quite a few empty seats in the sections that are largely season ticket holders sections.
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby rambone 78 » 2 months ago

Billyboy, a lot of season ticket holders are coming disguised as empty seats.......
0 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2863
Joined: 4 years ago
x 344

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:I know I've asked this before but.....Is that 3537 the amount of tickets sold? Or is it the actual amount of fannies in the seats? It looked like there were quite a few empty seats in the sections that are largely season ticket holders sections.


Tickets sold.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I know I've asked this before but.....Is that 3537 the amount of tickets sold? Or is it the actual amount of fannies in the seats? It looked like there were quite a few empty seats in the sections that are largely season ticket holders sections.


Tickets sold.

So how many people were actually there?
0 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2863
Joined: 4 years ago
x 344

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

No idea, URI doesn't release that number.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
SGreenwell
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1726
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Narragansett, RI
x 8
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby SGreenwell » 2 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:No idea, URI doesn't release that number.

Does anyone though? I was under the impression that the announced number is always tickets sold, and not necessarily butts in seats.
1 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2863
Joined: 4 years ago
x 344

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

That is my impression as well. I think the last time we had this discussion someone said Texas releases both numbers.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

So, would anybody who was there like to guess how many people were actually there?
0 x

User avatar
spookydog
Kenny Green
Posts: 263
Joined: 4 years ago
x 38

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby spookydog » 2 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:So, would anybody who was there like to guess how many people were actually there?


3100?
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:I know I've asked this before but.....Is that 3537 the amount of tickets sold? Or is it the actual amount of fannies in the seats? It looked like there were quite a few empty seats in the sections that are largely season ticket holders sections.


Tickets sold. This includes the seats purchased by Season Ticket Holders.

I remember the St Bonaventure Game when the weather was horrible, nobody came to the game. My guess is that there were 150 people at the game. But the attendance was much higher announced.

Not sure it really matters to release both numbers and I don't know of any school that does report both.

I researched and got a head ache reading this article. Schools report differently:

Paid Ticket
Actual Entry
Band Members
Cheerleaders
Players
Comp tickets given for free to get people in the seats
Security members
Officials
Time Keepers
Clean Up personnel

Bottom line........There are no official guidelines. Done many different ways.


http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sp ... 65583.html
0 x

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

The reason I asked is because I'm wondering how many season ticket holders aren't showing up. I've always said if they're not going to go, give them away to somebody who wants to go.
0 x

reef
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2009
Joined: 4 years ago
x 99

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby reef » 2 months ago

How many you guys think for Billy Mary ??
0 x

User avatar
RoadyJay
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1437
Joined: 3 years ago
x 305

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby RoadyJay » 2 months ago

reef wrote:How many you guys think for Billy Mary ??


I think it will be less than Holy Cross... under 3500 :oops:
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:The reason I asked is because I'm wondering how many season ticket holders aren't showing up. I've always said if they're not going to go, give them away to somebody who wants to go.


Good thought but do any teams, any where, in any sport, do that? Watching NBA Games I seem many seats at courtside empty the entire game. Looks bad on TV. Issue is that the Security people check the tickets for people headed to those courtside seats. It makes sense to have the Courtside Seats full for TV and for enhancing the Home Court advantage but I'm not sure we will ever see giving those seats away to others.

Best way to fill those seats would be through Stub Hub but not sure if the Corporations that own those Courtside NBA seats would bother to go there.
0 x

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The reason I asked is because I'm wondering how many season ticket holders aren't showing up. I've always said if they're not going to go, give them away to somebody who wants to go.


Good thought but do any teams, any where, in any sport, do that? Watching NBA Games I seem many seats at courtside empty the entire game. Looks bad on TV. Issue is that the Security people check the tickets for people headed to those courtside seats. It makes sense to have the Courtside Seats full for TV and for enhancing the Home Court advantage but I'm not sure we will ever see giving those seats away to others.

Best way to fill those seats would be through Stub Hub but not sure if the Corporations that own those Courtside NBA seats would bother to go there.

My point is, if they're not going to use the tickets, they should give them away for free. By not showing up, they're not getting any of their money back anyway. Post them on Craiglist, Facebook, or wherever, and I'm sure somebody would scoop them up......maybe me☺.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The reason I asked is because I'm wondering how many season ticket holders aren't showing up. I've always said if they're not going to go, give them away to somebody who wants to go.


Good thought but do any teams, any where, in any sport, do that? Watching NBA Games I seem many seats at courtside empty the entire game. Looks bad on TV. Issue is that the Security people check the tickets for people headed to those courtside seats. It makes sense to have the Courtside Seats full for TV and for enhancing the Home Court advantage but I'm not sure we will ever see giving those seats away to others.

Best way to fill those seats would be through Stub Hub but not sure if the Corporations that own those Courtside NBA seats would bother to go there.

My point is, if they're not going to use the tickets, they should give them away for free. By not showing up, they're not getting any of their money back anyway. Post them on Craiglist, Facebook, or wherever, and I'm sure somebody would scoop them up......maybe me☺.


and for sure I agree with your point in theory, makes perfect sense, but I don't know of any team or arena that does this. Most likely a legal issue too if you are selling tickets for no-shows without their permission
0 x

reef
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2009
Joined: 4 years ago
x 99

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby reef » 2 months ago

I believe it's tickets sold everywhere not rear ends in the seats
0 x

User avatar
RF1
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3330
Joined: 4 years ago
x 126

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby RF1 » 1 month ago

The OOC slate this year, with URI in the top 25 polls for much of it, was actually slightly lower than last season. The team averaged 4,551 in eight OOC home games in the 2015-16 season. This average was attained despite having one game starting early on a weekday (Valpo). The average was greatly helped out by a sellout for a game vs Providence. This season (2016-17), URI averaged 4,527 for seven games. There was however no high profile name team on the schedule. The highest attended game was the opener vs Dartmouth which had 6,052. It would seem that the opponent matters given this year, with a top 25 team and one less game, could not match the previous season OOC home attendance average.

RHODE ISLAND HOME OOC ATTENDANCE 2016-17
OPPONENT | ATTENDANCE | TO DATE | AVERAGE
Dartmouth | 6,052 | 6,052 | 6,052
Marist | 4,021 | 10,073 | 5,037
Brown | 5,630 | 15,703 | 5,234
Belmont | 4,626 | 20,329 | 5,082
Old Dominion | 4,250 | 24,579 | 4,916
Holy Cross | 3,537 | 28,116 | 4,686
William & Mary | 3,570 | 31,686 | 4,527


RHODE ISLAND HOME OOC ATTENDANCE 2015-16
OPPONENT | ATTENDANCE | TO DATE | AVERAGE
American | 5,089 | 5,089 | 5,089
Valparaiso | 4,881 | 9,970 | 4,985
Cleveland State | 4,721 | 14,691 | 4,897
Rider | 3,320 | 18,011 | 4,503
Holy Cross | 3,442 | 21,453 | 4,291
Providence | 7,678 | 29,131 | 4,855
Houston | 3,633 | 32,764 | 4,681
Iona | 3,645 | 36,409 | 4,551
0 x

reef
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2009
Joined: 4 years ago
x 99

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby reef » 1 month ago

Let's see what happens during conf play I think it's up quite a bit over last year
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

RF1 wrote:The OOC slate this year, with URI in the top 25 polls for much of it, was actually slightly lower than last season. The team averaged 4,551 in eight OOC home games in the 2015-16 season. This average was attained despite having one game starting early on a weekday (Valpo). The average was greatly helped out by a sellout for a game vs Providence. This season (2016-17), URI averaged 4,527 for seven games. There was however no high profile name team on the schedule. The highest attended game was the opener vs Dartmouth which had 6,052. It would seem that the opponent matters given this year, with a top 25 team and one less game, could not match the previous season OOC home attendance average.

RHODE ISLAND HOME OOC ATTENDANCE 2016-17
OPPONENT | ATTENDANCE | TO DATE | AVERAGE
Dartmouth | 6,052 | 6,052 | 6,052
Marist | 4,021 | 10,073 | 5,037
Brown | 5,630 | 15,703 | 5,234
Belmont | 4,626 | 20,329 | 5,082
Old Dominion | 4,250 | 24,579 | 4,916
Holy Cross | 3,537 | 28,116 | 4,686
William & Mary | 3,570 | 31,686 | 4,527


RHODE ISLAND HOME OOC ATTENDANCE 2015-16
OPPONENT | ATTENDANCE | TO DATE | AVERAGE
American | 5,089 | 5,089 | 5,089
Valparaiso | 4,881 | 9,970 | 4,985
Cleveland State | 4,721 | 14,691 | 4,897
Rider | 3,320 | 18,011 | 4,503
Holy Cross | 3,442 | 21,453 | 4,291
Providence | 7,678 | 29,131 | 4,855
Houston | 3,633 | 32,764 | 4,681
Iona | 3,645 | 36,409 | 4,551


Take out the PC game that hits every other year and is going to sell out most years at both schools you can compare 7 games for each season more apples to apples.

7 games w/o PC:
Last year = 28,371 = 4,053
This year = 31,686 = 4,527 is 427 more, a 12% increase

427 more people at what, $20 per seat? $8,540 more revenue for 12% more people.

Not much impact
0 x

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

Don't you have to factor in the student attendance? There were close to 2000 at one of the games, and a good amount at a couple of others. I'm guessing that's a lot higher than the student attendance at the 7 games last year. That's zero revenue, unless they bought concessions.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

I don't know how the student attendance impacted between the two years. I know there were very few students at the William and Mary game.
My guess is that URI tries to schedule as many games as they can with the Students on campus every year and that it likely evens out in the long run.
Bottom line attendance has not been that much different from last year.
0 x

Obadiah
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2645
Joined: 4 years ago
x 131

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Obadiah » 1 month ago

The Saint Joseph's game drew 3,880 fans, one of the worst attended A-10 openers ever, rivaling the attendance in the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons. But team record was 7-23 and 8-21 in those years. What's the excuse now. This makes the third straight game below 4,000. It is now apparent that without the students this fan base is weak. It must be very disappointing for Hurley and the team to see such poor support.
1 x

User avatar
ram1980
Lamar Odom
Posts: 283
Joined: 4 years ago
x 24

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ram1980 » 1 month ago

Tough night to travel.. My wife and I come down from Cumberland. Between the lousy weather and traffic tough sledding. That being said. We love going to the games especially as entertaining as tonights was by our team. I've given up worrying about attendance. When students get back atmosphere should be electric if this team can keep it going. Hurley need not worry about fans in the seats. As long as he gets results the people that are there and care about this team should give him satisfaction. He has been here long enough to know it is what it is. As long as he succeeds at controlling what he can, his teams performance will speak for itself.
0 x

reef
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2009
Joined: 4 years ago
x 99

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby reef » 1 month ago

Jeez disappointing turnout
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

Win Friday night, and the attendance might bounce back a little........if not, nope.

A 5,000 average for the season might be possible if so........
0 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8683
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 282
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

I agree. Our fanbase really does suck and when it costs us NCAA bids, championships, revenue, and our coach, we'll have only ourselves to blame.
2 x

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

Beat PC.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

Obadiah wrote:The Saint Joseph's game drew 3,880 fans, one of the worst attended A-10 openers ever, rivaling the attendance in the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons. But team record was 7-23 and 8-21 in those years. What's the excuse now. This makes the third straight game below 4,000. It is now apparent that without the students this fan base is weak. It must be very disappointing for Hurley and the team to see such poor support.


Obadiah,
It's a good comparison to go back to prior years regarding A10 Home Openers, but is it possible that those openers were against better teams than St Joe's?

I hear winning the 3 Road Games would have made attendance higher.
I hear beating PC would make attendance higher.
I agree with both but woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I look at PC and they beat URI this year. By the way, PC played 2 road games - lost them both - Ohio State and Boston College. URI played 3, lost 3.
- PC was 8-2 going into the Wagner game Dec 17. Attendance was 4,069 paid. Dunk holds 12,400
- PC was 9-2 going into the Maine game Dec 20. Attendance was 4,257

College basketball in Rhode Island is not what it was in the 1970's and 1980's.

Would having beaten PC generated a lot more fans for the St Joe game? More? Probably, but I don't think a significantly higher number.

Win and fans will come, but I think we are a very long way from being a VCU or Dayton with Sold Out arenas for the season, capacity crowds for St Joe's Maine, Wagner, you name the school they sell out.
0 x

Obadiah
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2645
Joined: 4 years ago
x 131

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Obadiah » 1 month ago

You're a tough guy to please ramster. Here is a summary of attendance for both the season openers and A-10 openers. I've even provided the URI record for that specific year. Lots of factors go into attendance, so draw your own conclusions from this, but remember we are trying to build a program where we get to the NCAA more often and that we get national TV exposure!!!!
.
Season Opener A-10 Opener Overall URI Record

2002-03 Southern Cal 5,785 Fordham 6,087 20-11
2003-04 Northeastern 5,685 Fordham 5,699 20-14
2004-05 Brown 5,220 St. Bonaventure 4,104 6-22
2005-06 Sacred Heart 4,331 Fordham 3,770 14-14
2006-07 Stonehill 4,341 La Salle 3,057 19-14
2007-08 Florida Atlantic 4,610 Duquesne 5,512 21-12
2008-09 Brown 5,859 Xavier 6,443 22-9
2009-10 Holy Cross 4,080 Temple 6,122 26-10
2010-11 Brown 4,711 Xavier 5,630 20-14
2011-12 Hofstra 3,220 Richmond 3,611 7-23
2012-13 Norfolk State 5,045 Charlotte 3,758 8-21
2013-14 Maine 5,410 Saint Louis 4,510 14-18
2014-15 Pace 4,210 Fordham 4,810 23-10
2015-16 American 5,089 Saint Louis 4,517 17-15
2016-17 Dartmouth 6,052 Saint Joseph's 3,880 10-4 YTD
0 x

reef
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2009
Joined: 4 years ago
x 99

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby reef » 1 month ago

No excuse for less than 4K for the St Joe opener
1 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

Obadiah wrote:You're a tough guy to please ramster. Here is a summary of attendance for both the season openers and A-10 openers. I've even provided the URI record for that specific year. Lots of factors go into attendance, so draw your own conclusions from this, but remember we are trying to build a program where we get to the NCAA more often and that we get national TV exposure!!!!
.
Season Opener A-10 Opener Overall URI Record

2002-03 Southern Cal 5,785 Fordham 6,087 20-11
2003-04 Northeastern 5,685 Fordham 5,699 20-14
2004-05 Brown 5,220 St. Bonaventure 4,104 6-22
2005-06 Sacred Heart 4,331 Fordham 3,770 14-14
2006-07 Stonehill 4,341 La Salle 3,057 19-14
2007-08 Florida Atlantic 4,610 Duquesne 5,512 21-12
2008-09 Brown 5,859 Xavier 6,443 22-9
2009-10 Holy Cross 4,080 Temple 6,122 26-10
2010-11 Brown 4,711 Xavier 5,630 20-14
2011-12 Hofstra 3,220 Richmond 3,611 7-23
2012-13 Norfolk State 5,045 Charlotte 3,758 8-21
2013-14 Maine 5,410 Saint Louis 4,510 14-18
2014-15 Pace 4,210 Fordham 4,810 23-10
2015-16 American 5,089 Saint Louis 4,517 17-15
2016-17 Dartmouth 6,052 Saint Joseph's 3,880 10-4 YTD


Thank you Obadiah, I am pleased :D :D :D
I did not realize that Dartmouth this year was our highest attendance ever in the RC for the Opener.
St Joseph's this year was certainly a disappointment
It is too bad that College Basketball has such a long opening from Christmas to the return of school throughout the country. It hurts URI but all other schools as well.Football does not experience that.
It might be good to get students in, but they don't add money to the coffers unless they buy food and/or drink. They do generate excitement and energy. The W & M and Maine games were quiet without the Students.

I recall when the Ryan Center was first being designed that the capacity was higher than what was finally settled upon. Do you recall this and recall what the original capacity was being targeted for?


Again, thanks for pulling this together.
0 x

Rhody15
Art Stephenson
Posts: 919
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 185

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Rhody15 » 1 month ago

I remember reading somewhere that when #2 ranked Pitt came here, we had like 8100 people.
0 x
Go Rhody

Obadiah
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2645
Joined: 4 years ago
x 131

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Obadiah » 1 month ago

Original capacity was at 7,000 and it was increased slightly to the current level. The record attendance is the Pitt game when 500 standees were allowed as was the case with Kearney. But after The Station fire, standees are no longer allowed.
0 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8683
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 282
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

8121

Who can remember without looking it up what the only other game was that was SRO?
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5396
Joined: 4 years ago
x 301

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

ATPTourFan wrote:8121

Who can remember without looking it up what the only other game was that was SRO?


USC?
0 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8683
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 282
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

Nope. That was only around 5900. No where near a sellout.
0 x

Section104
Kenny Green
Posts: 225
Joined: 4 years ago
x 52

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Section104 » 1 month ago

ATPTourFan wrote:8121

Who can remember without looking it up what the only other game was that was SRO?


St Joes with Jameer and Delonte?
0 x

Obadiah
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2645
Joined: 4 years ago
x 131

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Obadiah » 1 month ago

Are you referring to SRO or sellouts?
0 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8683
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 282
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

SRO meaning tickets sold as standing room only beyond seats in the Ryan Center.

In other words, beyond the 7657 capacity.
0 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8683
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 282
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

Section104 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:8121

Who can remember without looking it up what the only other game was that was SRO?


St Joes with Jameer and Delonte?


Nope. That was the second season of the Ryan Center, 2004 A10 season, after SRO was disallowed. It was obviously a standard capacity sellout.
0 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2863
Joined: 4 years ago
x 344

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 1 month ago

First PC game in the Ryan Center?
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8683
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 282
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

Negative. That was also second season of the building. So would not be possible.
0 x

User avatar
twisted3829
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2869
Joined: 4 years ago
x 40

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby twisted3829 » 1 month ago

there were unofficial SRO in 2007 vs PC when the students rushed the doors and they eventually just allowed everyone to enter without tickets for safety concerns
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE

Billyboy78
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7067
Joined: 4 years ago
x 197

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

My guess is Brown in year one of the RC.
0 x

Obadiah
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2645
Joined: 4 years ago
x 131

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby Obadiah » 1 month ago

The Station fire occurred in February, 2003. The Pitt game was played in December, 2002 in the first year of the Ryan center and the no standees rule went into effect after that tragedy. Specifically when that happened is the question because the UMass game in March, 2003, a month after the Fire, drew 7,747. If the rule went into effect after that date, then the 2003 UMass game is the only other SRO game besides Pitt.
0 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8683
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 282
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

Yep. It was UMass on senior night in the Ryan center's first season.
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

After last night's debacle I can't wait to see what the attendance numbers will be like going forward. Students or no students....most likely not very many.

A large part of Dan's contract money comes from ticket sales. Season tickets were up so he gets that already. What about the future?

The walk up numbers will be dismal.....

The bean counters at URI will not be very happy...as I recall a big part of the reason for Baron's firing was the lack of revenue from the BB program.

If the school is paying out most of what revenue there is to Dan and not getting much after that...well it doesn't look good for Mr. Hurley going forward.

6000 average attendance will never happen with this current staff in charge.

There's a lot of money being left on the table with the broken promises made by DH......
0 x

rambone 78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9157
Joined: 4 years ago
x 498

Re: 2016-17 Home Attendance Prediction Summary

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

URI was probably also counting on mucho increased revenue from NCAAT invites....not happening.

URI spent some serious dough [for them] on the program, also from promises [and requests] made by this coach.

I wonder if they are now regretting the extensions given to Dan....I doubt we'll see any more......how much will it cost to get out of this contract?

I know it won't be like the Baron deal....I think.
0 x


Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests