Game 2: Marist

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 2: Marist

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:Our defense both giveth and taketh away, which is fine for Marist....

The difference this year, is our ability to score and score often. Will be far fewer long dry spells which plagued Dan's earlier teams....
yup, especially with the 2nd unit. getting consistent points out of Robinson, Dowtin, Akele, Thompson will be the key. when you can score no matter who's on the floor, that's where you overwhelm teams and put games away
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Fun night, not much to complain about. Granted it's only two games but EC is playing better than his sophomore season (no turnovers). Seemed like some of the crowd did not leave early probably waiting to see the team score one hundred. Kudos to the students, on their feet and loud. See you Wednesday
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

It's amazing the depth we have right now. I know Marist isn't that great but it was still cool to see us continue to play at a high level when our entire bench is getting into the game.

With that said we need to play some better teams to get an idea of how good we are and who will get the minutes in competitive games. Other than Hassan and Iverson our frontcourt still makes me a bit nervous but we'll see what happens soon enough with the Cincy game Saturday.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

They were active on defense for 40 minuted. Can't complain about that.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree that our biggest threat is our interior defense / rebounding against big teams. And the way we extend defensively, we do tend to leave Hassan to defend the rim and potentially pick up fouls. I am guessing we will sag a bit more against the better teams, versus all out in your face full court man-to-man we have employed against our first two opponents. That said, creating turnovers and defensive intensity are going to be a calling card so I don't ever expect a full out retreat, but rather more calculated on ball pressure when facing teams with adept ball handlers and bigs.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If we use our hands on defense against Duke the way we have been, we have no chance. Duke gets every call, and has forever (Danny Ferry is still a punk). Jared and Hass will foul out before halftime.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote:Fun night, not much to complain about. Granted it's only two games but EC is playing better than his sophomore season (no turnovers). Seemed like some of the crowd did not leave early probably waiting to see the team score one hundred. Kudos to the students, on their feet and loud. See you Wednesday
Seems like ages ago since ECs Sophomore year but remember he had the finger issue that required surgery at the end of his Soph season. Not sure how much that hurt his dribbling and passing ability but it was a factor. Agree he looks great in these first two games. What a season this has the potential to be!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote:Agree that our biggest threat is our interior defense / rebounding against big teams. And the way we extend defensively, we do tend to leave Hassan to defend the rim and potentially pick up fouls. I am guessing we will sag a bit more against the better teams, versus all out in your face full court man-to-man we have employed against our first two opponents. That said, creating turnovers and defensive intensity are going to be a calling card so I don't ever expect a full out retreat, but rather more calculated on ball pressure when facing teams with adept ball handlers and bigs.
My memory isn't that great, but seems like the concerning fouls for Hassan will be when he's out on the perimeter, reaching, like...please don't. Thought that happened at least once last night and could wind up being the most troublesome?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

kmillr wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:It's Marist but everyone on this team is really good on both sides of the floor, and we hit out free throws!!! Hate the camera under the hoop though. I want to see more Berry in the paint. Would have lived to make it tonight but like people said, Monday night drive to Kingston is rough.

But 8K made the rough drive to Providence...
If URI played downtown, I'd make 99% of the games. The court is literally a stone throw away from the highway. Beats that 138 stretch.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If you watched the Duke Kansas game tonight they called about 10 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game and a lot of them were touch fouls. Depends who the refs are but if they call it tight both teams will get in foul trouble early
0 x