URI SADC Water Therapy Tubs Shut Down by State

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

URI SADC Water Therapy Tubs Shut Down by State

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Growing controversy on a developing story that has limited Rams' practice duration, especially as they enter a week of 3 games all at home. This has been reported via Twitter by Bill Koch of the Providence Journal. A follow up story is coming.

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI SADC Water Therapy Tubs Shut Down by State

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Only in Rhode Island!

What a joke.

Absolutely pathetic.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately that's what Dan thinks. It's hardly funny.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not something I wanted to hear right before our first game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm not sure I understand what the issue is with the tubs and why they are shut down. Is there a state law against hot tubs? I also can't imagine why Bill Koch is suggesting that fans need to get involved - obviously I'm down to get involved if I have to, but this sounds like the type of thing that the AD or at least the university should be able to clear up with a 5 minute phone call.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the issue is with the tubs and why they are shut down. Is there a state law against hot tubs? I also can't imagine why Bill Koch is suggesting that fans need to get involved - obviously I'm down to get involved if I have to, but this sounds like the type of thing that the AD or at least the university should be able to clear up with a 5 minute phone call.
He never even really explains what the issue is. Couldnt they just fire them up when no ones looking?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I would recommend everyone contacting their local state rep on the matter immediately. If you don't know who they are - here's a link: http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/representa ... fault.aspx

Feel free to copy what I wrote to mine:

Hello Ma'am,

I first wanted to thank you for your service to our town in the state legislature, and look forward to you continuing to serve us on the town council in the upcoming years.

It was brought to my attention recently that the state has shut down the student athlete development center at URI, specifically the hot and cold tubs, and it is having an adverse affect on the recovery of student-athletes in Kingston, most notably the men's basketball team.

As the basketball team looks to begin a season nationally ranked in the top 25, and representing our state with the opportunity to bring great things to our state university, I wanted to express my concern not only as your constituent, but as a proud Alumnus and supporter of our state university's athletic programs.

With the season beginning tonight, I was hoping you could look into the state's concerns about these tubs, and possibly fast-track a solution to allow our athletes a chance to compete on an equal footing with other schools.

I look forward to your response, thank you for your time, and go Rhody!

Best,

Jason
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the issue is with the tubs and why they are shut down. Is there a state law against hot tubs? I also can't imagine why Bill Koch is suggesting that fans need to get involved - obviously I'm down to get involved if I have to, but this sounds like the type of thing that the AD or at least the university should be able to clear up with a 5 minute phone call.
I think that's the point. I think the assumption (and more details are expected in tonight's post-game notes from Koch) is that the school HAS been working to get this resolved without making it public.

The expectation would be that the State would find a way to work with its flagship university without having to shut down the therapy tubs, especially if the rules governing them changed since the design and build of the SADC.

I would be sure that this is just the latest annoyance Dan Hurley will keep in his back pocket as an example of the lack of state support of the program. Could be thinking "this wouldn't happen at X Y Z school".
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody associated with PC has to be behind this...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

So nobody knows exactly what the regulation is that is being cited to shut the tubs down, or what it says, or in what way our tubs are not in compliance? Does anyone know what state regulator is involved here?

I mean honestly, this is kind of on the school as much as it is the state, even if the school is right and the state is wrong. If you didn't resolve it in your first phone call, your second phone call should have been to Koch and the people at 10 and 12 news or whatever, get Dan York on the case on his radio show. Shame the state and its beaurocratic nonsense if this is what this is. And if it isn't nonsense until they backed down. And I f there are real legit issues, that's a problem for me since the center is so new, but the necessary steps should have already been taken to fix it and come into compliance. But a passive approach in either case is infuriating.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I would hope my call to write or call your legislators isn't falling on deaf ears.

If we want representation and respect from capital hill you have to show the people that are making these decisions that people care. Just like with clicks on Rhody centric stories in the journal, if you are not providing a reason for people to support your cause - why would they?

Legislators get contacted less likely than you would think, so emails and calls tend to get more attention than you would assume.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

why is this not an issue at ri's other d1 schools?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Must come up with a catchy name...TubGate? Splash-tastrophe? The SoakJoke?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This issue still exists after a week or two. THAT is the scary part.

You would think state university and whatever state agency shut down the tubs could establish what is actually wrong and set a timeline to resolve without the need to lock it down.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What's the issue anyway? Is it like, concern about the MRSA infection the TB Bucs had in their locker room? Or, something like that?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Koch promises detail in his notebook after the game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

With this recent development can we readjust our numbers in the prediction thread? :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch of the Providence Journal wrote:According to a URI official, the tubs were deemed medical devices before the facility opened in 2014. A recent inspection by the state’s Department of Health changed the designation of the units to pools, which would require advanced filtration and signage updates for use. The school is attempting to hash the matter out with the state.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:With this recent development can we readjust our numbers in the prediction thread? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Right? Tub adjustments?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It helps to win games by 25 and take your starters out early. Guess we'll just have to do that through next weekend.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

So, basically this..

1 x
'No Mercy.'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Old Koch, distributing some of the tub burden to the URI fanbase.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I emailed Thor to see what the time line is to get this fixed and to see if there was anything the fans can do. When I get a response I will share it.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

How are the tubs at URI any different than those used by Brown, PC, or Bryant Athletics?
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

"The challenge we face two years after already using the pools is just the Dept of health classifies them as pools rather then a medical device. As of last week we have a person on campus from capital projects who is taking the lead to work with the supplier, architect and construction Rep to get this rectified asap. Thanks for the concern. Certainly has been and will continue to be a top priority until it is rectified.

Thanks so much.

Thorr"
2 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Another person to contact is the director of the department of health

Here is her email Nicole.AlexanderScott@health.ri.gov
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where's the Governor...........
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

So everyone is either complaining that Bill brought this to the attention of everyone, or emailing Thorr who is a victim more than anything here, rather than emailing their representatives at the state house.

At least Twisted provides another avenue to contact.

Is anyone else going to write their elected officials or just complain on the message board. For the love of God please do the former and let the people in the legislature know that there are people these type of things matter to.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Blue Man wrote:So everyone is either complaining that Bill brought this to the attention of everyone, or emailing Thorr who is a victim more than anything here, rather than emailing their representatives at the state house.

Is anyone else going to write their elected officials or just complain on the message board. For the love of God please do the former and let the people in the legislature know that there are people these type of things matter to.
BlueMan, I emailed my peeps. Haven't received a reply. Nada.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I hope this gets addressed soon...and I understand it's serious bidness....Can't really imagine any one of us can exert any more influence than those in charge at the U.

In the meantime, seems like a great humor opportunity is...(wait for it)...going down the drain...?

"Tubs....thumped"
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I bet if it was PC, it would be addressed quickly. Welcome to the RI General Assembly.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:So everyone is either complaining that Bill brought this to the attention of everyone, or emailing Thorr who is a victim more than anything here, rather than emailing their representatives at the state house.

Where are you getting this information from that people are only complaining here? It's inaccurate. We had a person from this board email Thorr to find the best way for us to help, I've seen people address this to the governor and state reps on Twitter and I've personally spoken face to face with my rep about this and provided him with more information when he asked for it.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I sent my email to

Steven.Boudreau@healthri.gov
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Just emailed Steven Boudreau, myself. Went heavy with the medical emphasis so he knows he's harming our student athletes recovery time! #GoRhody
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Last night on Chris DiSano's College Chalktalk Facebook Live PreGame Show, Thorr Bjorn said that he is hopeful that an interim solution will be identified later this week and implemented in the next week to get the pools reopened.

To me, it sounded like during the design phase there WAS a mistake by the school and builders to assume/determine these were medical devices. It does not sound like the RI Dept of Health changed any rules, but rather simply found out about how the Ryan Family SADC therapy tubs were set up and were forced by law to block their use.

Listen starting at the 13 minute mark:

Thorr Bjorn wrote:When that was done, for whatever reason, the architects/designers all felt like we did the right thing. We found out 4 weeks ago that we were obligated to classify them in a different way by the Dept of Health.... We hope that in the next 5 days we'll know what we need to do to get back into them...and also what we need to do permanently ... to do it the right way
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Actually seems like a departure from "business as usual" at the State House, but either way you'd think that in other places something like this would be fast-tracked.

Love Thorr. Awesome when you get answers and transparency on things like this.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Perhaps it really is a health issue.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote:Perhaps it really is a health issue.
I think we have a lead on who "dropped the dime" on the tubs....
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Dropped the dime? Or dropped a turd in the tub?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Do we have an update on this? I know Thorr had said there would be a solution in place shortly - I know the team could use them after the weekend.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

It's no big deal guys, just a Baby Ruth in the pool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YDurhx8QyA
0 x