Game 1: Dartmouth

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 1: Dartmouth

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:social media has been buzzin about rhody at least, thats for sure.
Yeah, from us.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I haven't seen Dan whine in almost 9 months! I need a fix.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If it takes people that don't follow college basketball as closely as we do a little while to come up to speed, that's OK. It is not ideal, but it's fine. As long as they show up eventually. It is a long season.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Looks like the athletics department is spending money to promote the early games.

This is a promoted (paid for) tweet

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree that their social media has been much improved over past. And it's no mystery that the legacy media structure is deteriorating (newspapers, tv, radio) but for URI and the battle for hearts and minds in RI for the casual fan they should have some major advertising in the market for this season. And if funds were limited it should have been a heavy focus on the 1-2 months leading into the season (Oct, Nov). Last year PC plastered Kris Dunn all over town, URI should have done the same with their preseason ranking and EC/Hassan.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:I agree that their social media has been much improved over past. And it's no mystery that the legacy media structure is deteriorating (newspapers, tv, radio) but for URI and the battle for hearts and minds in RI for the casual fan they should have some major advertising in the market for this season. And if funds were limited it should have been a heavy focus on the 1-2 months leading into the season (Oct, Nov). Last year PC plastered Kris Dunn all over town, URI should have done the same with their preseason ranking and EC/Hassan.
I'm kind of curious as to whether Athletics has metrics on what does and doesn't work. For example, do you get more bang for your buck investing in FB and Twitter ads than conventional print and TV advertising?
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I talked Rhody hoops & season expectations with Kyle & Bobby from the Rhode Talk podcast last night.

Check it out below if you are so inclined.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rho ... 93236?mt=2
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

SGreenwell wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I agree that their social media has been much improved over past. And it's no mystery that the legacy media structure is deteriorating (newspapers, tv, radio) but for URI and the battle for hearts and minds in RI for the casual fan they should have some major advertising in the market for this season. And if funds were limited it should have been a heavy focus on the 1-2 months leading into the season (Oct, Nov). Last year PC plastered Kris Dunn all over town, URI should have done the same with their preseason ranking and EC/Hassan.
I'm kind of curious as to whether Athletics has metrics on what does and doesn't work. For example, do you get more bang for your buck investing in FB and Twitter ads than conventional print and TV advertising?
I'm sure they do. I work for a tiny company (3 people) and we use LinkedIn sponsored content for advertising along with google analytics to track the traffic on our site to give us an idea if our ad is working. I've never used Facebook or Twitter sponsored content but I'd imagine there's a way to track links clicked on those services.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I am sure in terms of direct-response metrics, its not only easier but probably more likely ROI is higher on digital/social spends for URI MBB.
However, in the state battle for hearts and minds, and the subconscious aspect of marketing, there is still value in traditional media.
Tough to prove the value of a giant poster of EC on Rte 95, but i can guarantee it positions the program in people's minds in a certain way that a sponsored post on Twitter cannot. To reach older audience, media types, opinion leaders, etc.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The local media coverage for 6pm and 11pm news of each week's games and rankings will help get free publicity in front of that older demographic that still watches such programming.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....is it Friday yet??......wanna see us press them early and often.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

I'm sorry if this was answered already, but is there some way that we can watch this game online or on TV? I will unfortunately not be able to make it to the Ryan Center, but would love to still watch the game.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Coaching staff might not like it, but I love how these games come at us rapid fire to start the season. 5 games in 9 days!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

MegaRamFan2 wrote:I'm sorry if this was answered already, but is there some way that we can watch this game online or on TV? I will unfortunately not be able to make it to the Ryan Center, but would love to still watch the game.
http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/p ... m_id=31600
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
MegaRamFan2 wrote:I'm sorry if this was answered already, but is there some way that we can watch this game online or on TV? I will unfortunately not be able to make it to the Ryan Center, but would love to still watch the game.
http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/p ... m_id=31600
Thanks Billyboy!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

URI just sent out its third email this week promoting the game tomorrow to students. I personally am a graduate student and have been promoting the game as much as I can, especially to the three sophomore level business classes that I teach. I can only hope that a good amount of students do come out, but seeing it is Veteran's day on Friday there are no classes. This could be an issue since many students take advantage of the three day weekend by going home. I certainly hope not.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......no classes on Friday......sounds like plenty of time to get hydrated.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I have not frequented this board very much over the last few months, but I do not get the sense of a strong buzz here or elsewhere. I hope I am wrong on that score. The attendance of this opening game versus Dartmouth will provide the first real clue on that subject.

I have listed the opening game attendance for the last four openers which shows that the opening opposition has neven been stellar, so Dartmouth is no different than past experiences

Code: Select all

Home Opener  	Opponent	  Attendance	 Result	Season Record
Year    Date                                                                        

2015	Nov. 13	American	    5,089	  W, 65-42  	17-15
2014	Nov. 14	Pace	        4,210	  W, 94-54  	23-10
2013	Nov. 8	 Maine	       5,410	  W, 92-77	  14-18
2012	Nov. 9	 Norfolk State* 5,045     L, 55-67	  8-21
*Only home opener loss in Ryan Center History.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Obadiah wrote:I have not frequented this board very much over the last few months, but I do not get the sense of a strong buzz here or elsewhere. I hope I am wrong on that score. The attendance of this opening game versus Dartmouth will provide the first real clue on that subject.

I have listed the opening game attendance for the last four openers which shows that the opening opposition has neven been stellar, so Dartmouth is no different than past experiences

Code: Select all

Home Opener  	Opponent	  Attendance	 Result	Season Record
Year    Date                                                                        

2015	Nov. 13	American	    5,089	  W, 65-42  	17-15
2014	Nov. 14	Pace	        4,210	  W, 94-54  	23-10
2013	Nov. 8	 Maine	       5,410	  W, 92-77	  14-18
2012	Nov. 9	 Norfolk State* 5,045     L, 55-67	  8-21
*Only home opener loss in Ryan Center History.
Vividly remember that Pace game...4,210 might easily be double the actual amount. We are going to see how far we have come since then.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If we don't beat the Maine attendance, I will be very disappointed.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote:If we don't beat the Maine attendance, I will be very disappointed.
Attendance will be higher than all four previous openers listed. Topping 5089 should be an easy feat for a top 25 team. The question is really how MUCH MORE can they get. Will it be just a little better than ly or will it approach a more respectable number near 7K?
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

If the students come full force it should be @ 6000. I will be at tomorrow's game (with my 5 year old grandson) but living near Worcester weekday games are too tough for me to go to (like others I'm sure) so it's next Monday and Wednesday's games that I fear will be down to @ 5000.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I'm driving up from NJ for the game, so I would hope most local fans make the effort. This is a special time for the program. The team needs all the support they can get.

GO RHODY!!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I am hoping for 5500, but honestly have no idea what to expect. If our worst attended games are 5000, we will be in very good shape since there won't be too many games like those.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I just bought a pair of tickets at the Ryan Center box office. Front row 314. If I got in row A there should be plenty of good seats avail upstairs.

I was told 3000 tickets have been sold and expecting 2000 students on walk up. That's what RC staff is planning for.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I'll try to post a few pictures Saturday morning planning on packing the Nikons and a couple long lenses.....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don't understand how we can draw 5,400 coming off an 8-win season, and draw less than that entering a season when we are ranked in all national polls. I'll be making the trek need 5,999 more.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm in Hilton Head so don't hate me for not being there, but I'll be there plenty.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

hrstrat57 wrote:I just bought a pair of tickets at the Ryan Center box office. Front row 314. If I got in row A there should be plenty of good seats avail upstairs.

I was told 3000 tickets have been sold and expecting 2000 students on walk up. That's what RC staff is planning for.
If that's true that's extremely disappointing. I was thinking we had around 3,500 season tickets sold alone but obviously that's not the case.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Even with some increase in season ticket buyers, and reported uptick in mini packs, unfortunately a season long sustained over 6,000 is most likely not gonna happen....hope I am wrong, but calling it as I see it.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Some sites.....-19.5.......we cover?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We should......probably not by much though
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is it free to watch the game on that A10 link above ??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I sure hope so
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes. Video stream is free.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Since we are ranked, we get these little pre game write ups from stats Inc

#23 Rhode Island Set to Shiw Off New High Level Orogram

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400918430
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

GAME DAY!!!!!! LET"S GO RHODY!!!!!
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I guess we still have the same PA announcer, even with his radio show being in PM drive time.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

i would advise anyone that does not have tickets to get to the box office early. given this is the first game and many have not been down to kingston for some time, this is the first opportunity to puchase single games tickets in person. i would thonk there will be a bigger than normal walk up sale with many buying future game tickets which should make for a slow process tonight.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Game DAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goin to work with one thing on my mind...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.... it is time.....our time.....more than any other recent time....top 25 pre-season rating.....our house....no more next year.....no more we need another few pieces....deep bench....all systems ready to launch....this is what we have waiting for for many years.....let's go guys....get it done...Go Rhody.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Looking at the seating map, it looks like a bunch of tickets were sold over the past 24hrs. A lot of the "highly available" sections are now with just a few seats left. I hope we get a great crowd tonight!!
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I'm stuck in NH for the weekend & can't make the game. Any NH residents know if the game is shown on TV anywhere locally since they are playing Dartmouth? If not, will watch the stream.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There is NO TV for this game. Free internet stream available.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

based on seating map a couple hundred walk ups would seem to completely fill the lower bowl. few upper sections at or near capacity. but i think in past this map was found to have flaws?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:based on seating map a couple hundred walk ups would seem to completely fill the lower bowl. few upper sections at or near capacity. but i think in past this map was found to have flaws?
If you see a section with a lot of green dots (unsold)in the front half if the section and a lot of gray dots (sold) in the back half of that same section, the gray dots are actually unsold. If the front half of the section starts to sell, those gray dots in the back of the section will start to become green.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

0 x