Game 1: Dartmouth

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Game 1: Dartmouth

Unread post by runninrams5 »

Season begins Friday with Dartmouth who is coming off a 10-18 season is picked to finish 6 in the Ivy League this year. They return 4 starters from last years team including Rookie of the Year in the Ivy Evan Boudreaux
Likely Starters

G 6'1" Junior Bristow, Virginia Cameron Smith
3.6 PPG, 1.4 R, 0.9 A, in 13.7 minutes

G 6'4" Junior Fort Worth, Texas Taylor Johnson
7.0 PPG, 2.5 R, 1.4 A, in 19.2 minutes

G 6'5" Junior Boston, Massachusetts Miles Wright
11.2 PPG, 4.4 R, 0.8 A, in 27.6 minutes/He was the Ivy League Rookie of the Year his Freshmen year

F 6'8" Sophomore Lake Forest, Illinois Evan Boudreaux
17.7 PPG, 9.4 R, 1.1 A, in 32.1 minutes/ He was the Ivy League Rookie of the year last year

Guillen Smith and Mike Fleming will likely see time off the bench as they both averaged double digit minutes last year as backup guards. As for bigs they have 2 forwards who saw 5 or less minutes and then 3 freshmen bigs.

There top 3 guys all shoot the 3 a decent clip Boudreaux 41% on 69 attempts, Wright 35% on 106 attempts, Johnson 47% on 45 attempts

Should be a comfortable win for Rhody
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 1: Dartmouth

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh man, it's soooo close....
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Can't wait, been thinking about this game since end of last season.....anyone have any sense what the buzz(or not)is on campus for this season?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This will be refreshing as it gets. First ranked Rhody game I've seen in person.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I tried to get a handle on ticket demand but it seems gorhody took down that feature from the ticketing page.
Would be great to get 6k to the opener.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am expecting us to score a lot more than 74 points.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

bigappleram wrote:I tried to get a handle on ticket demand but it seems gorhody took down that feature from the ticketing page.
Would be great to get 6k to the opener.
How would you do that from the site? Assuming the school might open more then the 1,500 allotment for students for this one?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They used to have this interactive map where you could see open seating for ticket selection. Can't find it this year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I was wondering the same thing, to see how early I should buy tickets.
0 x
GO RAMS
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

bigappleram wrote:They used to have this interactive map where you could see open seating for ticket selection. Can't find it this year.
You mean this one?

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce ... INGLE&cgc=

Which we learned last year doesn't mean much as the school holds back seats (students, visiting team, etc) and plan to fill certain sections first. So it could appear a section is unavailable/sold out but really it's just not available on this map.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A ranked team should get a big crowd for its opener. I however am not certain of that given what we saw in the opener last year vs American. There was a lot of hype and expectation one year ago but it did not translate to the gate for game 1.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Map, for some reason, isn't available for the Dartmouth game. It's available for all the other games. I asked Tyler in ticketing why this is, but haven't heard back yet.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I expect us to win by 20 to 25, but a higher score 80's to 60's.....

Boudreaux will get his......he's good
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think our defense comes out of gate at a high level, and offensively we come out slower as everyone gets used to having EC back on the floor. 73-50 Rhody.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhody by 30+

I'd like to hit the century mark during one of these early games
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any word what the buzz is like on campus?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Will vegas have a line?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Worst team in the Ivies, with a first-year coach.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote:I think our defense comes out of gate at a high level, and offensively we come out slower as everyone gets used to having EC back on the floor. 73-50 Rhody.
That's my thinking, too. There should be a betting line, my guess is it gets posted tomorrow or Weds.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He may play everybody, which will keep the margin to under 20.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wait.......Play everybody?
You mean the red shirt theory goes out the window on Game 1?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote:Wait.......Play everybody?
You mean the red shirt theory goes out the window on Game 1?
It'll certainly be a definite answer on Dan''s part.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think along the lines of some here who say winning will bring the fans out and build more interest in attending games. Who knows if winning brings about more season ticket sales and we end up like VCU where they have a waiting list for season tickets. Stub hub scalpels would buy up season tickets if they thought there would potentially be a shortage. We may not be all that far from a scenario like that. But I'm not going to worry because this team is definitely going to draw some big numbers this year.

Consider this. Dayton Arena hold 13,435. They sold out their Exhibition game against Findlay last Friday night - first time ever selling out an exhibition game.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't post often, but when I do, I prefer a Rhody win. Stay thirsty my friends.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would guess Vegas will post a line since Dartmouth is an Ivy team when we play Brown there is always a line.
I will guess Uri -22 and predict uri 91-57
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

The Dude wrote:I don't post often, but when I do, I prefer a Rhody win. Stay thirsty my friends.
love this
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tickets for the Dartmouth game are now available using The Map. Unfortunately there are tons of seats left. Looks like the casuals still have the wait and see approach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dartmouth wouldn't be a big draw under any circumstances........5000 or so is my guess.....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Disgraceful if true. Hopefully lots of students show.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe...5500 with at least 1000 students would be pretty good imo......people could be waiting until after the Tip Off Classic.....a win over Cincy is a must as far as I'm concerned......then PC is another must win......really there can't be any excuses.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

To students, the name Dartmouth isn't much of a draw, but #23 should be written on every building face. That will certainly get them in to the Ryan Center. This will be interesting to see how many students will show. First season opener as a ranked team in Ryan Center history. Personally I'm expecting close to a full house.
1 x
GO RAMS
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I would hope a top 25 team would be able to draw 6000 for any game. Come on Rhode Island, come out and see this great team, they deserve it. Hoping that no Cox broadcast will get some more butts in the seats for these early games.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There are 11 sections listed as 'high availability ' including 4 sections in the 200 level, 207, 208, 211 and 214. The only sections that are sold out are 103, 104, 105, 111, 206 and 212.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody Pub in the building gonna be open?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I really needed the Rhody Pub at halftime during last year's opener... UGH
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

I haven't seen any marketing yet around campus. Wouldn't exactly say a huge buzz either. However, its definitely a low point of year around campus these days as it gets colder which should make students want to go. I can see a lot of students attending, but as far as non-students I am not too hopeful just yet. The #23 is awesome, but we haven't done anything to truly prove that so far.

If you win, they will come.
When we win, they will come.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I unfortunately think attendance will be disappointing. A top 25 team should draw better for its opener. Expect jabs by McNamara and Koch. At least we will not get crap from Donaldson anymore since he is retired.

The fact that Cox will not televise the game will have near zero effect on the size of the crowd. It just means fewer eyes in total will see the game.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Attendance last year against American was just over 5000 so I would think we can get at least 5500, hopefully closer to 6000.

Also I don't know why we don't broadcast uri basketball commercials locally. Past two Sundays when I've been watching football I've seen PC basketball commercials. I know PC probably has a larger marketing budget than us but it just seems like we do nothing to advertise the program to casual fans. I was talking to my former boss a couple weeks ago and he had no idea URI was a potential top 25 team and he usually goes to 4-5 games a year. There are a lot of casual fans out there who have no idea how good this team is because we have no marketing.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yup, I haven't seen ONE commercial advertising Rhody basketball at all. I remember seeing some last year, and we weren't even ranked.

First preseason ranking since 1998, two Top 100 players in the country, picked by every national media outlet to make the NCAA tournament, and not ONE local commercial??

And people wonder why we may not get a lot of fans in attendance on friday. Very dissapointing.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It looks like there are about 3000 tickets sold. We'll see how much the game day sales and the students can add to that.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I worked on the marketing campaign for the last great URI team - the 97-98 rams. Like other posters alluded to, if they were going to do more traditional media (TV, radio, Outdoor) this was the year to do it. Missed opportunity.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So we are assuming there will be no additional traditional media because we haven't spent $ on the season opening 3 games?

Since they have to be selective, I'd rather the Athletic Dept target strategic games that won't naturally sell out but would be critically important to the team -- games where a near sell-out environment might be the difference in Rams winning or not.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I'm not a marketing major but I don't think you wait until you're halfway into the season to do some advertising. It's also not about advertising for any specific game, it's about informing casual fans in the area that URI is a potential tournament team and as of right now in the top 25.

Also you would think we might try and push marketing a little more due to the fact Hurley has complained about lack of attendance several times.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

ATPTourFan wrote:So we are assuming there will be no additional traditional media because we haven't spent $ on the season opening 3 games?

Since they have to be selective, I'd rather the Athletic Dept target strategic games that won't naturally sell out but would be critically important to the team -- games where a near sell-out environment might be the difference in Rams winning or not.
As much as I agree with this, I believe more in exposure. Get people in the arena early seeing the team and they will come back for more. Those games that are critical and need a big crowd will already be on the radar of those who have been and don't want to miss the next opportunity.
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

josephski wrote:I'm not a marketing major but I don't think you wait until you're halfway into the season to do some advertising. It's also not about advertising for any specific game, it's about informing casual fans in the area that URI is a potential tournament team and as of right now in the top 25.
Exactly. They should have started promoting the team on local TV networks weeks ago. I don't live locally, so my judgement is based on what other posters are saying. But if it's true that URI has not broadcast one local TV advertisement up to this point, that's almost unfathomable. If there was ever a time to invest resources into the marketing of this basketball program, that time is now. Missed opportunity for sure.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
josephski wrote:I'm not a marketing major but I don't think you wait until you're halfway into the season to do some advertising. It's also not about advertising for any specific game, it's about informing casual fans in the area that URI is a potential tournament team and as of right now in the top 25.
Exactly. They should have started promoting the team on local TV networks weeks ago. I don't live locally, so my judgement is based on what other posters are saying. But if it's true that URI has not broadcast one local TV advertisement up to this point, that's almost unfathomable. If there was ever a time to invest resources into the marketing of this basketball program, that time is now. Missed opportunity for sure.
I travel back to RI 2-3 times per year and not once have I seen anything URI related from the moment I get off the plane in TFG to my parents house in Wakefield. Lack of marketing is troubling. I hope Bill and/or Kevin recognize that during the inevitable "lots of fans disguised as empty seats" twitter post after games 1-3
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Agree with Apple on the defense taking charge early. I wonder how quickly they might go into a full court press.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Put a few $$ promoting a sport we should be successful at?

You can do that? Fooled me!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

social media has been buzzin about rhody at least, thats for sure.
0 x
GO RAMS