Tip Off Event?!? Apparently tonight after all

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Tip Off Event?!? Apparently tonight after all

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ok now I am really confused. Just got a tweet from @rhodymbb that tip off event was underway.

Was I alone in getting an invitation by email that was a day later retracted?

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Re: Tip Off Event?!? Apparently tonight after all

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

I never received anything!?! I just saw the picture on Twitter and came immediately to the boards to check how the hell I missed this.

Rhodygirls 1 and 2 are not happy....
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Absolutely! WTF!!

On October 18 at 5:04pm, I received a normal looking URI Basketball email notice about the tip-off party for November 1.

Wednesday Oct 19 at 5:35pm, I received a message with subject:

Disregard Previous E-mail re: Tip-Off Party

Its message read:
The previous email you received was sent in error. Please do look for an email shortly about a URI Men's Basketball Open practice.
What the hell?!?!?
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Also, normally events like this are broadcast across all the social channels and in multiple email bursts. How the hell did we not know about this???

ANGRY
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

I just wonder how people found out about it since it wasn't on the web or twitter that I can see. It's one thing if I missed it, but for you not to know.... that's strange. If it's for donors only I usually get that one. I emailed Garrett to ask what happened. We've really enjoyed this event in the past. It's too bad. Very frustrated.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Exactly. Between tweets and duplicate emails we usually receive for this kind of thing, and judging by the fact nobody on this site was talking about it, who exactly WAS invited?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Very weird, it does almost make it seem like maybe the e-mail was only supposed to go to certain doners or whatever and maybe got sent to everyone by mistake?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It may have been restricted to specific donor levels.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote:It may have been restricted to specific donor levels.
Right, thats what I am thinking. It's the only explanation that would really make sense I guess.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

GoRhody!
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes there was, apparently to donors over some unknown level. For me attending I have two take-a-ways; 1) the Coach focus remains on preparations of players, team, and managing expectations. 2) Andre Berry seems to have lost another half jockey......give me his flashes from last year and being lighter.......good things ahead......just win the next one...
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

This year's team may be top 25, but the Athletic Department continues to play poorly. Maybe we need to recruit better talent.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Athletic Dept; yes some TO and the botched roll out of the first announcement was almost like "cooler and warmer"......next coaches show Red Patriot, Newport, I was told....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Per Hurley tonight--"we forced Harvard into about 30 turnovers". Hass was by far the best player on the court. He really heaped praise on Cyril and Jeff Dowtin. Said Dowton was playing like a 2nd or 3rd year player.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Considering the offensive firepower we have in transition, if we were able to create 10+ live ball turnovers a night, we will be a tough team to beat.
We have the length defensively to be that type of team.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sending an email advertisIng a tip off party, then saying the event was canceled with no explanation in a following email, and then actually HAVING the tip off party is really really poorly done, and actually pretty embarrassing.

Very very bad move by the athletic department.

So if Everyone who got the email saying there was no event actually went tonight, they would have told us we couldn't stay?
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And if you were going to have a radio show, why wouldn't you advertise it so people could listen in?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Here's the Radio Show on-demand:

http://920whjj.iheart.com/media/play/27444178/
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Marketing has never been the school's strong suit.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote:Sending an email advertisIng a tip off party, then saying the event was canceled with no explanation in a following email, and then actually HAVING the tip off party is really really poorly done, and actually pretty embarrassing.

Very very bad move by the athletic department.

So if Everyone who got the email saying there was no event actually went tonight, they would have told us we couldn't stay?
I was going to say the same thing. If they want to restrict it to certain donor levels, that is their right. Not sure I totally agree with that considering that the program really is not in a position to be so exclusive toward its committed fans, but I don't get paid to make those decisions. Once the cat is out of the bag, though, they just have to live with that. They can't un-invite some of their best supporters - that is just really poor form. They say the cover-up is worse than the crime. The initial mistake with the emails here was an amateurish move, but un-inviting people was 10x worse.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

The entire Athletic Department Administration is dysfunctional and could use an overhaul. While Thor has been a serviceable AD at best, he has done little to improve any of the sports except Men's and Women's Basketball which were no brainers. Even our once proud soccer team is a second division A10 Team. As for the Sports Information Department, Laprey is in way over his head and the marketing department is amateurish and doesn't understand how to market the athletic program and the Ryan Center to Rhode Islanders. I know some of you are going to come running to their defense, but ask people that conduct business with them how difficult the process is. There was a time when we were resigned to being Number 2. But don't look back because Bryant is gaining on us. While it's safe to assume that it will never happen in basketball, it's a matter of time before they surpass us in other sports. They are a marketing machine in the northern part of the state and have forged some strong relationships with many of the local businesses. Great leadership from the top right on down and rated best overall athletic facilities in the NEC.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:The entire Athletic Department Administration is dysfunctional and could use an overhaul. While Thor has been a serviceable AD at best, he has done little to improve any of the sports except Men's and Women's Basketball which were no brainers. Even our once proud soccer team is a second division A10 Team. As for the Sports Information Department, Laprey is in way over his head and the marketing department is amateurish and doesn't understand how to market the athletic program and the Ryan Center to Rhode Islanders. I know some of you are going to come running to their defense, but ask people that conduct business with them how difficult the process is. There was a time when we were resigned to being Number 2. But don't look back because Bryant is gaining on us. While it's safe to assume that it will never happen in basketball, it's a matter of time before they surpass us in other sports. They are a marketing machine in the northern part of the state and have forged some strong relationships with many of the local businesses. Great leadership from the top right on down and rated best overall athletic facilities in the NEC.
I'm wanting to agree with this whole post, I do have a special place still for Thor because basketball is my favorite sport, but I wouldn't mind if there was something to attract me to football games and soccer matches at the university. As far as the marketing concerns raised, calling it amateurish is being kind. I'm not calling out or harshing on anyone in particular, including Mike LaPrey, it feels to me like Mike has a lot on his plate, which may be another way of saying he's in over his head, but I'm thinking he probably has his hands tied in ways we haven't even thought of, of course the buck has to stop somewhere and it would seem as though the Marketing Director of the Athletic Department might have something to do with the lack-luster marketing we are experiencing. Still, I'm sure the university gave Mike a box of Popsicle sticks and asked him to build the Newport bridge.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Saying the whole athletic department is dysfunctional is an outdated criticism. This episode wasn't a good look but I'm not going to indict the whole athletic department, which I think generally does a good job and is light years better than what we've had in the past.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:2. But don't look back because Bryant is gaining on us. While it's safe to assume that it will never happen in basketball, it's a matter of time before they surpass us in other sports. They are a marketing machine in the northern part of the state and have forged some strong relationships with many of the local businesses. Great leadership from the top right on down and rated best overall athletic facilities in the NEC.
I live in the northern part of the state. There is no Bryant "marketing machine" unless you're talking about Parente's which is a restaurant literally right next door to campus that counts on the bar revenue from Bryant students for a big part of their revenue and an AM station in Woonsocket that carries some of their games. And outside of myself, I've only ever heard of one person going to their games, and that was just for homecoming.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Saying the whole athletic department is dysfunctional is an outdated criticism. This episode wasn't a good look but I'm not going to indict the whole athletic department, which I think generally does a good job and is light years better than what we've had in the past.
Totally agree. Let's not let decades of frustration paint the current administration and marketing staff in such a broad negative light.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I agree saying the whole AD is dysfunctional is an over-reaction, I probably shouldn't have stated that I wanted to agree with the whole post, I do stand by the finer points of my response. Our other sports teams are not on the rise and for whatever reason our marketing is lacking, like I said I'm sure ML has his hands tied in ways we couldn't even imagine.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It would be nice if Mike could come on here and explain what happened....but I doubt it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Why do you think Mike Laprey is the person running this event?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Why do you think Mike Laprey is the person running this event?

Whoever ran it / sent out the emails did an extremely extremely poor job. It's not like they wouldn't have had the space to fit more people in.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Hillary has something to do with those emails.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It may have been a simple database selection problem. They picked the wrong list to send the invite to and then compound ed it with the followup. Yeah, it was a screwup, but they're way ahead of just a few years ago.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

From the photos that I've seen this event was pretty well attended. We don't have that many big donors.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think Hillary has something to do with those emails.
Comey has added this to his list
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

URI96 wrote:From the photos that I've seen this event was pretty well attended. We don't have that many big donors.
Right. I'm aware of people who are established "Golden Ram" level donors who were not invited. This had to be a clerical error. Still waiting to hear who was supposed to be invited. I think it was clearly a closed event for donors, but which levels exactly?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I understand limiting the events to donors to try and add to the bonuses that one would get by donating...but I would've thought that for my 2nd season as a silver ram donor I might have at least sniffed an invite...

I'm taking it as an oversight and nothing more. Would love an explanation anyway.

That being said - you're a moron if you're calling Thorr Bjorn a "servicable AD at best" while misspelling his name. Kinda makes your entire post irrelevant. Guy literally just won the NACDA's athletic director of the year award. I assume the people making those calls have a little more insight into AD rankings than someone who is talking about Bryant as some type of athletics juggernaut that we should aspire to be.

God can basketball start so we can focus on legitimate things?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, let it be the 11th already. We're all losing our minds here...
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Amen Blue Man!! Can't you people find something more interesting to write about.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Thorr is the best AD at URI in my lifetime.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This was a screw up. Details are sparse at this time.

Still the athletic department is operating at its highest level by far, even considering some of the on field challenges they have some some programs.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x