Open Practice 10/29, 3:30

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Open Practice 10/29, 3:30

Unread post by ace »

0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Open Practice 10/29, 3:30

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Can we get a handful of people on here to go and provide reports of the players after? Obviously we are all curious how things are shaking out with player development, potential rotation etc. Any info would be great.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I will be there and will report on individual players.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Tom98 wrote:I will be there and will report on individual players.

awesome.. thank you!!!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Sneak and peak -was able yesterday before football to watch 15 minutes of practice before I got kicked out. On the scoreboard a huge sign saying "this is our house" - very cool!!! Very intense drills as you could imagine with some amazing defensive intensity and some fast breaking on offense or at least pushing the ball up quickly. Looked like Matthews had something on both knees. Terrell looked like he was in mid season form. Liked what I saw from Dowtin and 55. The depth on this team is amazing. Go rhody!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sneaky, Neil!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

neil wrote:Sneak and peak -was able yesterday before football to watch 15 minutes of practice before I got kicked out. On the scoreboard a huge sign saying "this is our house" - very cool!!! Very intense drills as you could imagine with some amazing defensive intensity and some fast breaking on offense or at least pushing the ball up quickly. Looked like Matthews had something on both knees. Terrell looked like he was in mid season form. Liked what I saw from Dowtin and 55. The depth on this team is amazing. Go rhody!
Anybody know who 55 is?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Tertsea.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Tertsea.
Wow, interesting. I think he is guy number 13 on the team and a very likely redshirt candidate but I could be wrong.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nobody on this team is going to red shirt. if someone redshirts I will eat my computer

no player on this team came to URI to redshirt. If told that in the recruiting process they never would have come here

who was the last player to ever red shirt at URI for Basketball anyway? Can you name 3? I can't think of one. Who was the last freshman player at PC to redshirt? Again I can't think of one and now I am hearing we could have 1 or more players red shirt? I can't imagine anything like that happening. Coaches would use that practice against us in recruiting.

Red Shirting is for Football where the teams have 100 players or more for 22 starting positions.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

So as we all know you can't play 13 players during the season. Nobody came her to redshirt obvious and they all have an opportunity to prove their worth and get into the rotation. I would expect whoever falls in position 12 and 13 especially if a freshmen might want to red shirt to save four years to play and use this year as a development year.

Unless you think we will play a 13 player rotation than why waste a year on ten 20 garbage time minutes during the season?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I still think Dowtin will turn out to be our best freshman, at least for this year. Just a feeling.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote:nobody on this team is going to red shirt. if someone redshirts I will eat my computer

no player on this team came to URI to redshirt. If told that in the recruiting process they never would have come here

who was the last player to ever red shirt at URI for Basketball anyway? Can you name 3? I can't think of one. Who was the last freshman player at PC to redshirt? Again I can't think of one and now I am hearing we could have 1 or more players red shirt? I can't imagine anything like that happening. Coaches would use that practice against us in recruiting.

Red Shirting is for Football where the teams have 100 players or more for 22 starting positions.
To answer your PC question, off the top of my head, Kofane, Batts, Dixon (recent memory) all redshirted their freshmen year. Greedy Peterson redshirted his sophomore year for developmental purposes. Herb Hill was also a redshirt freshman heading back almost 15 years.

No one commits to a school with the intention of redshirting, but I think some of the writing on the wall is there when you commit with 2 other bigs and there are already some on the roster. There is not PT available for everyone. It's on the coach to figure out how much depth he can utilize and if a kid will settle for the redshirt and not look to transfer out at first glance.

I would think it's actually a positive for Hurley that he got all of these freshmen to buy into the program he is building. In many cases, recruits 2 and 3 say forget it once the first one commits. They are doing some bigger picture recruiting, and that deserves a lot of credit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ramster wrote:nobody on this team is going to red shirt. if someone redshirts I will eat my computer

To answer your PC question, off the top of my head, Kofane, Batts, Dixon (recent memory) all redshirted their freshmen year. Greedy Peterson redshirted his sophomore year for developmental purposes. Herb Hill was also a redshirt freshman heading back almost 15 years.

No one commits to a school with the intention of redshirting, but I think some of the writing on the wall is there when you commit with 2 other bigs and there are already some on the roster. There is not PT available for everyone. It's on the coach to figure out how much depth he can utilize and if a kid will settle for the redshirt and not look to transfer out at first glance.

I would think it's actually a positive for Hurley that he got all of these freshmen to buy into the program he is building. In many cases, recruits 2 and 3 say forget it once the first one commits. They are doing some bigger picture recruiting, and that deserves a lot of credit.
Thanks for the info RJ,
Wasn't Kofane hurt during his freshman season? I seem to recall something like that but maybe not. Peterson got into some big trouble for the Soph year discipline didn't he?
I forgot about Batts.
There may be some redshirts for URI but it is difficult for me to remember.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yes finally! I'll be there.
0 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Neil: I'm guessing you didn't see Robinson, because he has a concussion.
I'm hearing that Thompson is playing great, and that Langevine is the most ready frosh.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
Thanks for the info RJ,
Wasn't Kofane hurt during his freshman season? I seem to recall something like that but maybe not. Peterson got into some big trouble for the Soph year discipline didn't he?
I forgot about Batts.
Kofane wasn't hurt, just rail thin. He came in at 6'8, 195. Keno thought he could develop him as a late signee, one of the many things he was wrong about.

Peterson and Dixon were both redshirted in 08-09, but they were developmental. Peterson did get in trouble, but that was after his RS-sophomore season when he was thrown out of school.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Thanks for the info RJ,
I forgot about Batts.
Kofane wasn't hurt, just rail thin. He came in at 6'8, 195. Keno thought he could develop him as a late signee, one of the many things he was wrong about.

Peterson and Dixon were both redshirted in 08-09, but they were developmental. Peterson did get in trouble, but that was after his RS-sophomore season when he was thrown out of school.
and Batts also got into trouble in a bar one night but I think that was during his year he was sitting out
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dowtin and Langevine are most game-ready, that was what i heard following summer work outs and would expect to stay the course to start the season. It's why I predicted Cyril as first big off the bench. Layssard (playing shape) and Tertsea (fundamentals) have room to go.

I agree with Ramster, no one is red shirting. Do you all forget the plethora of injuries last season? What about foul trouble, which is bound to happen. How about matchups in March where you could go up against a team with a huge front line and need to use a Tertsea for spot time. Dan wants to win on the big stage, he won't go into battle without all of his weapons. It's a long season, you could see Dowtin and Langevine have less of a learning curve and earn minutes in the early season, but have Layssard and Tertsea able to give you quality minutes come the dog days of February. Net net it's a long season.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:Dowtin and Langevine are most game-ready, that was what i heard following summer work outs and would expect to stay the course to start the season. It's why I predicted Cyril as first big off the bench. Layssard (playing shape) and Tertsea (fundamentals) have room to go.

I agree with Ramster, no one is red shirting. Do you all forget the plethora of injuries last season? What about foul trouble, which is bound to happen. How about matchups in March where you could go up against a team with a huge front line and need to use a Tertsea for spot time. Dan wants to win on the big stage, he won't go into battle without all of his weapons. It's a long season, you could see Dowtin and Langevine have less of a learning curve and earn minutes in the early season, but have Layssard and Tertsea able to give you quality minutes come the dog days of February. Net net it's a long season.
I'm 99% positive you don't have to declare a redshirt, but I believe most programs do for two reasons and that is to manage the expectations of the fans and the player. In theory, I believe that even if on November 1st a coach says "Player X will redshirt," if a meteor strikes the practice facility and hurts all available players in a position, the coach can then use the redshirted player, removing that redshirt in the process.

The reality is that on any given night, if you're in a tight game and you are worried about 12-13 on your bench playing minutes due to foul trouble or matchups, your team is probably in trouble and not winning anyways.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Dowtin and Langevine are most game-ready, that was what i heard following summer work outs and would expect to stay the course to start the season. It's why I predicted Cyril as first big off the bench. Layssard (playing shape) and Tertsea (fundamentals) have room to go.

I doubt there will be a redshirt but I wouldn't completely rule it out either. BAR: If Layssard and Tertsea are seeing quality minutes in February then something has not gone as planned. Everyone cannot play.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RJ: They do not have to declare. So theoretically Dan wouldn't have a conversation with a player now but then, conference play starts, and one of the players has not seen any time. He could go to that player and broach the subject.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

BAR: If Layssard and Tertsea are seeing quality minutes in February then something has not gone as planned. Everyone cannot play.

I agree with you in general, but in this game as we know things dont always go as planned. And with depth even if that occurs it doesn't have to mean the end of the season. Further, I think with Layssard its a more relevant statement. His best skills are scoring and if we need scoring things likely have gone south. But with Tertsea you just don't know. We have no other person with a 7'4 wing span, that stands at 6'10". If he made progress throughout the season and could defend his position I could certainly see times we may have/want to use that weapon, especially in March against a P5 school with a big front line. Come in to pick up fouls, clog the lane, defend a true Center that Hassan can't match up with. Way too many unknowns IMO for Dan to say redshirt him.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It was my understanding that you cannot redshirt a player after they've appeared for any duration of time in a game.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

unless a medical reason obviously

-I remember CFL messed this up with Blake Vedder one year
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:It was my understanding that you cannot redshirt a player after they've appeared for any duration of time in a game.
That's correct. Once you step on the court, that counts as a year of eligibility. However, you can practice with the team and even suit up for games.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:It was my understanding that you cannot redshirt a player after they've appeared for any duration of time in a game.
That's correct. Once you step on the court, that counts as a year of eligibility. However, you can practice with the team and even suit up for games.
Yes and the injury "redshirt" is really a medical hardship waiver -- not a redshirt at all. This is has much different rules.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No redshirts. Injuries can pop up and our bigs can get in foul trouble in march so we can use all the bodies even if it's just to use fouls
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

This whole conversation about red shirts is comical. Some top teams only have 11 players on scholly since anything more then that wouldn't even sniff the court anyway. Obviously if we get hit with 4-5 season ending injuries then all 13 guys might get some playing time. Other than that why waste 20 minutes of garbage time PT as an entire season when you can develop further and play a much more meaningful role in the coming years. Luckily this decision doesn't have to be made until later anyway.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

If a player wants to redshirt they better know before the first game because they cannot redshirt after appearing in a game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:This whole conversation about red shirts is comical. Some top teams only have 11 players on scholly since anything more then that wouldn't even sniff the court anyway. Obviously if we get hit with 4-5 season ending injuries then all 13 guys might get some playing time. Other than that why waste 20 minutes of garbage time PT as an entire season when you can develop further and play a much more meaningful role in the coming years. Luckily this decision doesn't have to be made until later anyway.
I don't see why it is comical.
You never answered my question as to when has URI redshirted a player? Medical redshirt aside?
You brought the concept up several times.
I'll be shocked if URI red shirts any player. These players on this roster are not,expecting to be redshirted.
No reason to redshirt anybody.
My guess is that every scholarship player on the team will see action in either of the first two games and your belief in red shirting anyone this year will be null.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Speaking of red shirts/ medical waivers...... any word about E.C. Did he apply? I think he has to do it when the calendar flips to 2017? I think. I'm sure we will know more come senior night. If he is honored he is gone if not he may be coming back. But that's a long time away. Just didn't know if anyone heard anything around the program about that? He is listed as a Junior but I don't remember hearing any official word.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodysk wrote:Speaking of red shirts/ medical waivers...... any word about E.C. Did he apply? I think he has to do it when the calendar flips to 2017? I think. I'm sure we will know more come senior night. If he is honored he is gone if not he may be coming back. But that's a long time away. Just didn't know if anyone heard anything around the program about that? He is listed as a Junior but I don't remember hearing any official word.
He is listed on GoRhody.com as a junior.
0 x
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

CT Rhody wrote:This whole conversation about red shirts is comical. Some top teams only have 11 players on scholly since anything more then that wouldn't even sniff the court anyway. Obviously if we get hit with 4-5 season ending injuries then all 13 guys might get some playing time. Other than that why waste 20 minutes of garbage time PT as an entire season when you can develop further and play a much more meaningful role in the coming years. Luckily this decision doesn't have to be made until later anyway.
It's comical that you think Hurley would redshirt guys who don't play this season. If someone isn't good enough to play then they'll get recruited over, not redshirted.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
I don't see why it is comical.
You never answered my question as to when has URI redshirted a player? Medical redshirt aside?
You brought the concept up several times.
I'll be shocked if URI red shirts any player. These players on this roster are not,expecting to be redshirted.
No reason to redshirt anybody.
My guess is that every scholarship player on the team will see action in either of the first two games and your belief in red shirting anyone this year will be null.
Many A-10 teams redshirt frontcourt players in particular to allow them a developmental year. Granted he might not redshirt anybody but this is the first year since he has been here that we have had 13 available players and barring 3-5 major injuries, player 12 and 13 won't see the court in any meaningful action. Obviously if you only have 10-12 players on scholly then the redshirt question becomes mute which has been the case the past four years.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing but it's certainly not as wild as an idea as some project it to be on here.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Wisconsin under Bo Ryan redshirted guys constantly. Current starter Ethan Happ redshirted as did former McDonald's All-American Brian Butch. Tom Izzo has done it, most notably with Morris Peterson who went on to the NBA. Trevor Cooney redshirted his first year at Syracuse.

So it's not as foreign as you'd think.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just tell me in the last 15 years who on URI basketball has has a red shirt year? Not medical red shirt, just red shirt as you are talking about.
I honestly can't think of one in the last 30 years.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Wisconsin under Bo Ryan redshirted guys constantly. Current starter Ethan Happ redshirted as did former McDonald's All-American Brian Butch. Tom Izzo has done it, most notably with Morris Peterson who went on to the NBA. Trevor Cooney redshirted his first year at Syracuse.

Pretty sure all those guys were also announced as redshirts in early November. If Hurley is looking to play a 10-11 guy rotation I don't see how he can redshirt any freshman on this team. Maybe Tertsea if Tertsea is really as much of a project as some people make him sound but even then it probably wouldn't make sense to redshirt him because you don't know how much he'll progress.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Wisconsin under Bo Ryan redshirted guys constantly. Current starter Ethan Happ redshirted as did former McDonald's All-American Brian Butch. Tom Izzo has done it, most notably with Morris Peterson who went on to the NBA. Trevor Cooney redshirted his first year at Syracuse.

I think it would be kind of foreign for Hurley to do it, though. If you're a player considering those schools, you know that the coaches more liberally use redshirts. Whereas at URI and other mid-majors, I think part of the recruiting appeal is always going to be, "You have the chance to earn minutes right away." If he is bringing it up during recruiting now, then cool, but I don't think it's going to be well-received if he springs it on players once they're already on campus. Some might be OK with it, seeing the competition they're against, some might not be, which is understandable to me.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: Whereas at URI and other mid-majors, I think part of the recruiting appeal is always going to be, "You have the chance to earn minutes right away." If he is bringing it up during recruiting now, then cool, but I don't think it's going to be well-received if he springs it on players once they're already on campus.
I get it, but what's worse? Player X is told he's going to have a role and chance to earn minutes right away, comes on campus, isn't offered the opportunity to redshirt, and only plays in garbage time of games and minimal during conference play, or Coach Y evaluates Player X after scrimmages, tells him sees him as vital part of the future of the program and as a long-term piece, and he wants to redshirt him to preserve his future eligiblity?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Orion Outerbridge should have been red-shirted based on how he was used as a freshman......he got absolutely no playing time at all for the first 20 or so games and then Baron puts him in for some mop-up time late in a game......and I start screaming from my seat "NOOOOOOOOOO" for blowing the chance to redshirt him.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea Orion could have really worked on that top of the key 3.

His best run was a string of alley-oops against BC around Christmas one year.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

still rugby season - saturday afternoons don't work for me. someone go and be excited in my place!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah I have both kids so not sure I can go.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Anybody live tweeting this practicing?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch is as usual!!

0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Anybody that was there want to give us a few observations?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I was told that Akele hit virtually every shot he took.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

This was a scary thing to read at first. Wording was misleading. Ha ha

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x