Ticket Sales

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Ticket Sales

Unread post by CT Rhody »

After talking with the URI box office yesterday I figured I would share some positive information. Due to travel and having a two week old at home I bought a three game pack. I can normally easily get into section 311 with a five game pack on PC years with zero issue. That section is already sold out for the 3 game packs this year so I moved one section over.

They reached their second highest season ticket sales number in the history of the Ryan Center with two more weeks to go. Also mini plans normally take a substantial drop during non PC years, however they have already passed their mini plans sales numbers from last year and have two weeks remaining and haven't even sold one holiday plan yet.

The growth in ticket sales is what's going to keep the program moving forward and this is fantastic news. If this team can perform close to expectations on the court than ticket sales will just increase that much more. Positive news and keep spreading the word!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Ticket Sales

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I guess all that publicity and expectations building isn't such a bad thing after all.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Single game tickets went on sale yesterday, and they announced that tickets to the VCU and Dayton games were only available through partial-plans. If you can't get excited about watching this group of players, both for their talent and the way in which they represent the program, I don't know what to tell you.

Congrats on the new baby, CT!
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rhody74 wrote:I guess all that publicity and expectations building isn't such a bad thing after all.

:lol: :lol: :lol: It appears so...

20 days till tip off... I'm dying over here.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:Single game tickets went on sale yesterday, and they announced that tickets to the VCU and Dayton games were only available through partial-plans. If you can't get excited about watching this group of players, both for their talent and the way in which they represent the program, I don't know what to tell you.

Congrats on the new baby, CT!
Thanks Ace!

Since they don't distribute ticket numbers, I wonder what % they are within the all time season ticket record..
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let's blow away the avg and total home attendance figures this season! Seems it is almost assuredly going to happen.

A virtually full Ryan Center is highly addictive to fans when the team rewards them with wins. I think we will get both this year and finally fulfill the promise and capability of our basketball only facility.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

There's no better sports venue than a big, energized Ryan Center crowd. This team deserves 6,000+ against even the most humble of opponents and sellouts against VCU, Dayton, UMass and our other traditional rivals.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Any attendance predictions for opening night against Dartmouth?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was disappointed with the crowd at the AU game last year. That was before EC was hurt and expectations were nearly as high at the time as it is this year. So, while I'd hope to see around 6500, I imagine it'll be around 5,000. I hope I'm wrong.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:I was disappointed with the crowd at the AU game last year. That was before EC was hurt and expectations were nearly as high at the time as it is this year. So, while I'd hope to see around 6500, I imagine it'll be around 5,000. I hope I'm wrong.
How was the student attendance at that game?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If I recall, the student turnout wasn't bad. Perhaps there was competition for the older fans that I don't remember.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed i thought the AU attendance should have been much higher last year.
But I don't recall last year hearing about pre-season sales moving more briskly so hopefully this year we can get closer to 6k for opening night.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Rhody74 wrote:There's no better sports venue than a big, energized Ryan Center crowd. This team deserves 6,000+ against even the most humble of opponents and sellouts against VCU, Dayton, UMass and our other traditional rivals.
Unfortunately UMASS is a Sunday afternoon on divisional playoff weekend so theres a very good chance that the Pats will be playing that day. Better hope they get the Saturday night game.

I wonder how many Dayton and VCU tickets will be available when they release them in early December? Outside of the PC game I cant remember tickets selling out two months before the game but that could be the case especially if we beat Duke
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A refresher on the Ryan Center Attendance history:

RYAN CENTER URI HOME ATTENDANCE BY AVERAGE
SEASON | GAMES | TOTAL | AVERAGE
2007-08 | 15 | 88,731 | 5,915
2003-04 | 17 | 97,762 | 5,751
2002-03 | 17 | 96,194 | 5,658
2014-15 | 16 | 86,461 | 5,404
2008-09 | 14 | 74,196 | 5,300
2009-10 | 17 | 88,853 | 5,227
2005-06 | 16 | 76,150 | 4,760
2015-16 | 17 | 80,198 | 4,718
2004-05 | 14 | 65,227 | 4,659
2010-11 | 16 | 72,598 | 4,537
2006-07 | 15 | 67,293 | 4,486
2013-14 | 16 | 71,058 | 4,441
2012-13 | 15 | 64,368 | 4,291
2011-12 | 15 | 57,428 | 3,829
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think the average of last year (4,718) is the starting point for this upcoming season. I however would hope and expect the numbers to be much better. I would think this season will ultimately be among (if not #1) the highest averages per season. An early season ranking and good start to the season might greatly help the gate for a rather unattractive OOC home slate (which in and of itself would not help drive ticket sales).
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Weren't there reports last year that season ticket and mini-plan sales were up? Or was that two years ago?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Weren't there reports last year that season ticket and mini-plan sales were up? Or was that two years ago?

That is what they said. May have been up a bit but when EC went down and the season turned, the causal fans stayed away. I would guess a lower than average number of tickets to have been sold IN season.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I guarantee there will be record attendance this season, so predictions should probably start at a 6000 plus average.
The three packs for Dayton VCU and UMASS have only 300 level seats left from end zone to end zone. and those
games don't begin until January. There may be a sell out to the Dayton game within days after the December sales opening.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Anyone know if resellers could be part of the reason ticket sales are rising? I'm not sure if we're at the point yet where resellers would bother with games at the ryan center but the mohegan tournament tickets definitely got bought up by resellers.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

luke wrote:I guarantee there will be record attendance this season, so predictions should probably start at a 6000 plus average.
The three packs for Dayton VCU and UMASS have only 300 level seats left from end zone to end zone. and those
games don't begin until January. There may be a sell out to the Dayton game within days after the December sales opening.

Those games are all part of the full season and all mini plans. URI marketing has keyed in on these games. It is a bit of an admission that the OOC are not really attractive. The problem will not be attendance in January and February. Ticket sales for conference games is always stronger than the OOC (save for the off season PC home game). The determining factor for this year's attendance will be how many come out for the OOC games against unattractive opponents. URI entered game one last year versus American with a lot of hype. It still didn't draw well and with Matthews going down in that game, interest in attending URI hoops plummeted. Being ranked as the season begins along with a good start might change the dynamic this year.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

What the average is after the first week (3 games) will determine the trend for the OOC games. If they win all 3 and then beat Cindy, those first three might be the lowest attended games all year minus a conflict with the Pats at some point. I hope we can at least average over 5,500 over the first 3 games.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
luke wrote:I guarantee there will be record attendance this season, so predictions should probably start at a 6000 plus average.
Those games are all part of the full season and all mini plans. URI marketing has keyed in on these games. It is a bit of an admission that the OOC are not really attractive.
It has less to do with the OOC and more to do with not wanting to recreate a game like Davidson in 14-15 when the team was at the top of the conference (11-3) and only 6000 showed up to a really important home game match-up.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:
Those games are all part of the full season and all mini plans. URI marketing has keyed in on these games. It is a bit of an admission that the OOC are not really attractive.
It has less to do with the OOC and more to do with not wanting to recreate a game like Davidson in 14-15 when the team was at the top of the conference (11-3) and only 6000 showed up to a really important home game match-up.
That's actually a really good point Ace. Hopefully if we can grow our season ticket and mini plan base big enough than that won't happen again.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

I think that the 10:30 a.m. Valpo game last year was an anvil on attendance average. I was there with my daughter and there were a lot of empty seats disguised as fans. Hardly any students and no walk up sales I bet. I was surprised at the low turnout.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dan could not hide his disgust with the turnout while lined up for the national anthem that night vs Davidson.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Dan could not hide his disgust with the turnout while lined up for the national anthem that night vs Davidson.

I was disappointed with the numbers that night as well. It was however on a weeknight and ended in an all too familiar fashion. If Dan wants to see sellout crowds, he has to start winning many of these big home games. That will convince people to come out. Playing good teams tough at home but ultimately losing by few points is not going to encourage more fans to come to the Ryan Center.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

If I remember corrected there was also major traffic on 95 south from a guy jumping off a bridge onto the highway. I left my usual time and didn't get there until partly into the first half. That could have played a factor as well (not an excuse obviously)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Dan could not hide his disgust with the turnout while lined up for the national anthem that night vs Davidson.
But he didn't say anything. He said he wasn't going to bring up attendance again, and he hasn't except to express appreciation for those who do show up. It's not about him; they just very much want this group of players to be supported and appreciated.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

That was a weird game.

I remember being really disappointed in the attendance but vividly recall the Ryan Center SHAKING in those closing minutes. Like sold-out loud.

I think it was maybe due to it being such an ugly game and Rhody slowly clawing back until it came to a fever pitch. Of the (many) heartbreaking losses at the Ryan Center; that one still stings more than others.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davidson was the Pink Out game that year. Slightly over 6000. Plus I think children wre free.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

It is interesting analyzing the home attendance figures. The first 2 years the RC opened (I like to call the Hellenga glory years) the place was bonkers. I don't have any raw data, but my memory makes me think the A-10 was also a lot stronger back then. Temple was still very good with Chaney at the helm, Xavier was a powerhouse, St. Joe was #1 in the country, Dayton was very good.

I think the quality of the A-10 was a draw early on, along with the shiny new building.

Either way, I hope the place is busting at the seams every night this winter....the team plays better when the crowd is large and loud. Simple as that.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ace wrote:
But he didn't say anything. He said he wasn't going to bring up attendance again, and he hasn't except to express appreciation for those who do show up. It's not about him; they just very much want this group of players to be supported and appreciated.
I think now that Dan has gone around the league a few times he realizes URI's attendance isn't as bad as he first thought. They end up the middle of the pack for attendance, which is often better than where they end up in the standings. But this year: no excuses. Pre-season ranked team, and from what's being said in this thread, fans are responding.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In those Ryan Center early years it was bonkers because the team was winning close games and doing better than anyone expected. Local media was calling it magical due to all the things that went our way in our new building.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ATPTourFan wrote:In those Ryan Center early years it was bonkers because the team was winning close games and doing better than anyone expected. Local media was calling it magical due to all the things that went our way in our new building.
Yeah. It also wasn't as far removed from the NCAA tournament teams, and it was the start of the Baron Plateau Years, and you'd have to have been a pretty dour pessimist at that point to think the team wasn't going to make a tournament for 10+ years.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ATPTourFan wrote:In those Ryan Center early years it was bonkers because the team was winning close games and doing better than anyone expected. Local media was calling it magical due to all the things that went our way in our new building.
And the building was new.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Sure but the winning those exciting games was huge.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody74 wrote:I guess all that publicity and expectations building isn't such a bad thing after all.
I care about wins, not about ticket sales.
I care about wins, not about pre-season rankings.
I care about wins, not what Athlon nor Street Smith thinks.
I care about wins, not blaming the lack of crowd size or enthusiasm for when a team loses.

"If you build it, they will come."
"Go the distance."
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good because nobody else cares about wins. That can be your special job.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
I care about wins, not blaming the lack of crowd size or enthusiasm for when a team loses.

"Go the distance."
So why post here before a win or loss is posted? If all you care about is the record it seems you have nothing to bring to the table until 9:15 on the night of November 11th.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:Good because nobody else cares about wins. That can be your special job.
Boom. Roasted.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

"Go the distance."
We're tied for most wins in the country right now, so you should be pretty excited!
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

"Go the distance."
So why post here before a win or loss is posted? If all you care about is the record it seems you have nothing to bring to the table until 9:15 on the night of November 11th.
Good point for both of us. (Love how you decide if something is "brought to the table.")

If all you care about is attendance, why don't you wait until the first game and count the actual fannies in the seats? Then you can provide your manual attendance. Don't bother posting about the results of the game because it's irrelevant to you. I'll post about the actual game played on the court. You can post about whether the little old lady from Wickford was sitting in her seat and waving her pom-pom. So there you go. If you agree not to post about the silliness of ticket sales, marketing, and pre-season BS, then I won't post about measurable on-court performance. Deal?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Wow u must still be pissed about Mike Moten's playing time.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:Wow u must still be pissed about Mike Moten's playing time.
Moten...give him the damn ball.

Matt Kiebler...let him shoot.

Andre Green...fill it up, Andre.

Damn right I'm pissed.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

RF1 wrote:A refresher on the Ryan Center Attendance history:

Im trying to figure out what this is sorted by lol
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

skwalk47 wrote:
RF1 wrote:A refresher on the Ryan Center Attendance history:

Im trying to figure out what this is sorted by lol
I had the same thought - it looks like it is in order of average attendance, but 02-03 and 03-04 were not included in the sort for some reason.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Our goal should be 100,000 fans for the first time. That's an average of 6250, I believe. Is that unreasonable?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good goal.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Our goal should be 100,000 fans for the first time. That's an average of 6250, I believe. Is that unreasonable?
It's reasonable with a fast start ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
I had the same thought - it looks like it is in order of average attendance, but 02-03 and 03-04 were not included in the sort for some reason.
You had the error logic right. Now fixed. Sorry for the confusion.