Looks like Cox is giving up on RI sports..?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Looks like Cox is giving up on RI sports..?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

theblueram wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote: NESN, Comcast Sports Net, MyRITV, etc would charge URI $20k+ to produce what Cox was delivering to URI and their subscribers for free.
Umm, I think networks pay for content. Not the other way around.
Nope. That's only if they can sell ads to make profit.

Viewership would be virtually negligible so no network will produce for free.

This isn't like the NFL selling tv rights for billions. Rhody hoop doesn't demand any $.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

could this be it??
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Was just coming to say the same thing. That's my guess.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think Chris is self producing the game coverage
Probably just an extension of his brand/voice as it relates to Rhody hoops, he too had to likely adjust with the Cox reshuffle as they hosted his podcast.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

theblueram wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote: NESN, Comcast Sports Net, MyRITV, etc would charge URI $20k+ to produce what Cox was delivering to URI and their subscribers for free.
What ATP was trying to communicate is the cost of producing games for those networks if URI didn't have a TV-grade stream to send to a them. That's for bodies on the ground, equipment, remote truck for linkup etc.

I think the end goal here, as I was saying my long post earlier today is to do what many other local D1's do for TV coverage, which is do high quality in-house production for a stream and then also look for carriage of that production on a local network with nothing better to air in the timeslot. That is what Maine, Merrimack, UMass-Lowell do with hockey and UNH does with both hockey and basketball.
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:

could this be it??
No. I think Cox is hearing us loud and clear. While they cannot and will not produce any TV, there is demand for high quality digital media and analysis content that Chris DiSano had been producing.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So glad I can finally dump Cox. Only thing that kept me. See ya!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ATPTourFan wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Nope. That's only if they can sell ads to make profit.

Viewership would be virtually negligible so no network will produce for free.

This isn't like the NFL selling tv rights for billions. Rhody hoop doesn't demand any $.
What college would pay to have their games on TV? The A10 has an outstanding TV deal with multiple networks. If the games can't produce the viewership, then the team shouldn't be on tv. But no college is ever going to pay to have their games on tv.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

theblueram wrote:So glad I can finally dump Cox. Only thing that kept me. See ya!

Amen. Me too. Actually, I was going to drop them anyway. Their service sucks.
I'd be interested to see if there is a big drop in customers. Hope so.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

theblueram wrote:What college would pay to have their games on TV? The A10 has an outstanding TV deal with multiple networks. If the games can't produce the viewership, then the team shouldn't be on tv. But no college is ever going to pay to have their games on tv.
As surprising as it is, a number of schools actually do "pay to have their games on TV", both in the sense of paying a network's production team to come shoot the game, and also in the sense that some schools buy airtime from networks and then air their own production of games. As someone has mentioned, Quinnipiac does the latter; produces their own hockey games and then buys airtime on NESN and SNY.

The advantage to doing this is increased exposure and also because then the school can sell the ad time during the games to sponsors to try to make money back (or even a profit) on the expense. This is also how D2 Southern New Hampshire University has had nearly a dozen games a year on NESN+ the past few seasons for their men's and women's basketball teams. It's not always a bad idea, especially on a network where the time is cheap, and with a athletics department capable of selling the ad time for a decent price.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:So glad I can finally dump Cox. Only thing that kept me. See ya!
Cox has by far the best TV system in the state. The new Contour is essentially Comcast's outstanding X1 system licensed and branded for Cox.

It blows all my friends away, including those with FiOS and satellite.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Cord cutting is the way to go, many of these options like Sling TV actually include ESPN and Foxsports.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah that's the trick. Getting access to live sports when cord cutting.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Cox has by far the best TV system in the state. The new Contour is essentially Comcast's outstanding X1 system licensed and branded for Cox.

It blows all my friends away, including those with FiOS and satellite.
Cox internet is terrible compared to FiOS tho
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Terrible may be strong. If upload speed is really important, then, sure. FiOS wins every time with their symmetrical packages. Otherwise, Cox holds its own.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So while I don't view it as a good thing that we're losing a local broadcast channel - if you are such a big fan that you are on this board, while simultaneously complaining about not being able to watch a game on TV that is being broadcast from an arena that is no further than 45 minutes from your home in this state - you are part of the problem.

We are talking about a channel that affects one of the smallest television markets in the country at best. Then you divide that viewership up between fios, directv, any of the online streaming tvs, and cox. Once you get to the people who have cox then you have to cut it down to the people who are college basketball fans period. Then you drill down to people who are URI fans. Then you have to find the people who would care about URI enough that they would watch a basketball game against a trash opponent instead of physically going to the game. Talk about the smallest of small audiences.

Cox bailed on PC too...just an FYI if you think this is somehow a URI only problem.

That said, the ONLY issue here is if it affects road games. Considering most of the games are on national television or streamed if they're not - and the others are at home.

Also - hook up a laptop to your TV if it's that important.

If your loved ones need to watch URI so badly - be a loved one and set up a lap top for them to stream.

I really don't get the outrage here. Show up to the games, make them all sell outs so that people can't get tickets, and force viewers who can't get tickets to demand a broadcast so said broadcasters can sell ad space and make it worth their while.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Turns out OSN is showing a college basketball game tonight at 7 after all!

....Farleigh Dickinson vs Seton Hall.

Yup, that makes sense. :roll:
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It does. It might actually make them some ad money.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And they aren't spending a dollar to produce it. Finding somewhere to air the games is easy, finding a partner who will fund the production of games much tougher. It's a significant cost with little revenue to offset
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BAR gets it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Why wouldn't they just simulcast our online stream then? They wouldn't be on the hook for production costs in that scenario.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

I know this issue has been discussed ad nauseam in this thread but last night's "broadcast" of the Dartmouth game was a freaking disaster. I use the term "broadcast" liberally. The feed used was whatever video was being shown on the jumbotron with strange angles and inconsistent lighting. Audio and video would go out for minutes at a time with those ads being shown with a PIP showing the game clock and shot clock counting down. So frustrating. They used the Steve and Don audio and it rarely synced up. Last night's game was a painful viewing experience after so much hype to start the season.

Top 25 ranking and this is the best they could come up with? They could've paid the kids at WRIU and URITV on the cheap to produce a better product. I refuse to accept the fact that the A10 Network/Facebook Live work around is an acceptable solution. For those of us out-of-towners who aren't able to watch games in person, I believe that OSN/Cox set the bar pretty high over the last couple of years. Not to point fingers at Thorr or Mike Laprey as I think they have done a great overall job but to not have a legitimate contingency plan is completely unacceptable. They had to know that Cox was bailing a lot sooner than when the Projo article came out less than two weeks ago and to not keep us in the loop was very disappointing. Having the majority of our games on national tv is fantastic but that deal was orchestrated by Bernie and the A10. 9 of our 30 games don't have tv coverage?? I mean, come on? Rhody mens's hoops is our flagship sport!!

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the team's on court performance. We are loaded and it's going to be a banner year but this situation NEEDS to be resolved. I can't stomach another viewing experience like last night.

Sorry to rail on this as last night was a great start but It's 2016 for crying out loud, not 1998!!
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote:I know this issue has been discussed ad nauseam in this thread but last night's "broadcast" of the Dartmouth game was a freaking disaster. I use the term "broadcast" liberally. The feed used was whatever video was being shown on the jumbotron with strange angles and inconsistent lighting. Audio and video would go out for minutes at a time with those ads being shown with a PIP showing the game clock and shot clock counting down. So frustrating. They used the Steve and Don audio and it rarely synced up. Last night's game was a painful viewing experience after so much hype to start the season.

Top 25 ranking and this is the best they could come up with? They could've paid the kids at WRIU and URITV on the cheap to produce a better product. I refuse to accept the fact that the A10 Network/Facebook Live work around is an acceptable solution. For those of us out-of-towners who aren't able to watch games in person, I believe that OSN/Cox set the bar pretty high over the last couple of years. Not to point fingers at Thorr or Mike Laprey as I think they have done a great overall job but to not have a legitimate contingency plan is completely unacceptable. They had to know that Cox was bailing a lot sooner than when the Projo article came out less than two weeks ago and to not keep us in the loop was very disappointing. Having the majority of our games on national tv is fantastic but that deal was orchestrated by Bernie and the A10. 9 of our 30 games don't have tv coverage?? I mean, come on? Rhody mens's hoops is our flagship sport!!

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the team's on court performance. We are loaded and it's going to be a banner year but this situation NEEDS to be resolved. I can't stomach another viewing experience like last night.

Sorry to rail on this as last night was a great start but It's 2016 for crying out loud, not 1998!!

It is a shame that when we are now at our potential peak year since the Harrick years that we have gone down in TV coverage instead of going up.
Also wonder when we really knew Cox was bailing. Was this 2 weeks ago when URI first found out? 2 months ago? 6 months ago? Did we know it was coming a year ago?
If this had been announced to the public 6 months ago maybe other options would have or could have arisen.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Uh, 21 out of 30 games are on national TV. We've gone UP in TV coverage, and that's not even a question.
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:Uh, 21 out of 30 games are on national TV. We've gone UP in TV coverage, and that's not even a question.
That depends on how you choose to look at it. The statement that URI will have less games on tv within the State of RI this season is true. Rhody however will have more games on national tv. They will likely have more people across the USA see them play. This however is not a consolation to those living in RI.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The discussion has been around the out of conference games that were typically broadcast by Cox. My comments were not aimed at the A10 games which are broadcast outside of Cox.

In fact, the A10 will be the first conference to have the Conference Games on Facebook - once again Bernadette McGlade leading this conference in unprecedented ways. Best A10 Commissioner I can ever remember.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Only in Rhode Island would we get our whirlpools shut down days before the season, have the OCEAN STATE Network show a game in NJ over a Top 25 RHODE ISLAND team.

I don't care about the logistics, money, production, blah blah blah. The games should either be on OSN or MYRITV.

Inexcuseable.
2 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I couldn't make it to the game last night so experienced some of the free streaming product available. I'm shocked at how good it is!!! hahaha NOT!

Maybe it's better that nothing and it is free, but seriously some of you guys were actually giving the AD kudos for scrambling to get this option out there, shame on you for thinking small. URI has more money available to it than probably 95% of money making institutions in this state. A better product could have been produced, yes, even on short notice.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Something else I thought of last night is that if they put our highlights on sportscenter then they look completely bush league. I haven't watched sportscenter after either win so I'm not sure if they have even shown us but plays like the EC alley oop last night were missed due to poor camera work and no replay so I doubt a highlight like that could have even been shown on sportscenter. Little stuff like this doesn't necessarily hurt the program but it's a missed opportunity that URI should have found a fix for.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

josephski wrote:Something else I thought of last night is that if they put our highlights on sportscenter then they look completely bush league. I haven't watched sportscenter after either win so I'm not sure if they have even shown us but plays like the EC alley oop last night were missed due to poor camera work and no replay so I doubt a highlight like that could have even been shown on sportscenter. Little stuff like this doesn't necessarily hurt the program but it's a missed opportunity that URI should have found a fix for.
Seriously, I know I keep going on and on about the under basket camera angle, but it is so easily fixable. I am not saying anything about the stream quality or anything like that given the circumstances already discussed in this thread. But the camera angle thing is just whoever is directing things choosing to go to that angle time and time again even after presumably seeing that they are missing play after play.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Exactly, without replays they really shouldn't go to the under the basket view very often if at all. It's too easy to miss things when you go to that angle.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I couldn't agree more. Networks love to over think things in all broadcasts. They have cameras everywhere and feel they have to show them all equally.
Football has really gotten bad. It's bad enough that the announcers never tell who makes the plays. They switch angles so quick that you can't even figure it out yourself.
Under basket cameras are practically useless, except for replays.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

can we like email Thor about the camera angles? Or somebody?
Tell them no more under the basket angles!
0 x
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

I worked in the athletic department at Bryant for a year, and they produce much higher quality live games with one paid employee and a crew of student workers. The "producer", if you will, is the one that selects which of the 3 camera angles is shown. It's as simple as him not clicking on the baseline shots. The fact that this is where we are at with games is kind of staggering.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

For anyone interested in seeing how easily a decent quality stream can be accomplished, check out the UNH game on americaeast.tv tonight. Nothing fancy, but perfectly serviceable as an online stream and decent enough quality for a local TV subchannel or NESN+ to show (quality is very similar to those SNHU games they always show). The graphics look good, quality is high and unlike URI the cameras are actually set up for TV-like coverage as opposed to just a stream of the videoboard footage. AmericaEast.tv carries every home game for it's members.

I understand that A10 teams may not be able to give basketball coverage away like America East does, but there is no way UNH should have superior streaming coverage to URI, the current streaming/non-national TV situation is just unacceptable.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've never used the Watch Espn stream. I imagine that's high quality?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote:I've never used the Watch Espn stream. I imagine that's high quality?
Typically very
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
I understand that A10 teams may not be able to give basketball coverage away like America East does, but there is no way UNH should have superior streaming coverage to URI, the current streaming/non-national TV situation is just unacceptable.
Hold on there a sec...we're talking about THE University of New Hampshire...
-Class of '84 ;)
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Hold on there a sec...we're talking about THE University of New Hampshire...
-Class of '84 ;)

Haha oh no disrespect intended, I've spent more than a few evenings getting rowdy at the Whit! Still, I don't think it reflects well on Rhody if coverage for our #1 sport is worse than New Hampshire's for it's #3 sport.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Hold on there a sec...we're talking about THE University of New Hampshire...
-Class of '84 ;)

Haha oh no disrespect intended, I've spent more than a few evenings getting rowdy at the Whit! Still, I don't think it reflects well on Rhody if coverage for our #1 sport is worse than New Hampshire's for it's #3 sport.
can't argue with that....and the old hockey barn was truly (truly) a raucous place...I mean...talk about great fan chants.... :P
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I have to agree here, I thought there couldn't be a worse streaming experience than the animated elephant that showed up for foul shots back in the day...nope we have managed to make it even worse with awful angles and an odd delay when the game returns to action from dead balls. I would have to think the kids at WRIU could figure out a better way to do it. I don't know the back story, but my guess is this is another only in Rhode Island scenario that is hampered by red tape and legacy protocol.
0 x