Projo's 401 Podcast with Kevin McNamara

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Projo's 401 Podcast with Kevin McNamara

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

As Kevin explained in this week's Pick and Pop podcast, his new role as sports columnist includes another podcast called the 401. He expects there to be plenty of college hoop over the coming episodes, but it will cover any sports that may interest the Projo readership.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... n-mcnamara
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Projo's 401 Podcast with Kevin McNamara

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like Dan really likes Dowtin. Could be the next really good guard here.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dan is just the coolest coach ever. You never get any regurgitated coach bull crap from him, he's just himself.
Having respectable guys like McNamara and Disano interview you definitely helps you get comfortable though.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

From what I heard about early practices they were pegging Dowtin as high as 7th on the depth chart...assumption is Stan is #6. That is saying something given the quality of talent in the program. They are very high on Dowtin.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

So Dowtin over Thompson uh, that would be interesting. The bigs look like they won't get much time with three guards in the lineup at all time and that even goes for the SF like Akele.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hope 1-2 of the Bigs is good enough to get significant time to help develop this season, since both Hassan and Kuran will be gone next year.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Wouldn't surprise me if one or even two of the front court players were red shirted this year if we can avoid injuries this year.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Definitely a good listen. I was really interested in what he had to say about practice with Cyril and Hass
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Good stuff. I always appreciate any reference to that 11-12 Wagner team. They were fun to watch, and the roster depth and rotation is something they've been wanting to replicate. This season, the expected depth should make that possible.

It ends with him asking Dan where he thinks they'll be picked by A10 coaches. The answer is what you would expect, but I think referencing the 14-15 season results makes sense. That was a team that overachieved by finishing tied for second. Four of five starters remain, along with more depth. The practice talk was good- competitition and having the starters pushed is not something that's happened too much.

Also, it's smart to continue to frame EC's return in that way- it's good for both EC and the team. Recognizing he's a great player but tempering expectations just a tiny bit, recognizing where his skills are at this point in his recovery, and emphasizing how much they have to work with overall.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

He didn't come out and say it but you could tell from his response to Kevin McNamara's comment about 13-5 in conference being a good record that Hurley expects more.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

scine20 wrote:He didn't come out and say it but you could tell from his response to Kevin McNamara's comment about 13-5 in conference being a good record that Hurley expects more.
13-5 was good for them two seasons ago. This year, I would agree that the goal should be better. Picking the exact wins/losses is always more of a gamble when it come to conference games. La Salle best Dayton last year, for example. I'm still not exactly sure how that happened.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

ace wrote:
scine20 wrote:He didn't come out and say it but you could tell from his response to Kevin McNamara's comment about 13-5 in conference being a good record that Hurley expects more.
13-5 was good for them two seasons ago. This year, I would agree that the goal should be better. Picking the exact wins/losses is always more of a gamble when it come to conference games. La Salle best Dayton last year, for example. I'm still not exactly sure how that happened.
16-2 is my prediction. Go 3-1 against UD/La Salle. Then lose another random game (probably on the road).
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Lasalle is a wildcard with the facelift they are getting....transfers
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Lasalle will be top 8. There appears to be a divisive between the top and bottom 8. Things change when the first ball is throw up however.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

16-2? Please.

Like Ace just said, there will be growing pains from the young frontcourt players. This team isn't a finished product 1-13.

I would love to predict such a league record. Reality is otherwise imo.

We will be good, yes I know that. How good? I'm going to wait until they throw the ball up, and especially against Cincy.

That game will be a barometer of the season....win it, and expectations are realistic. Otherwise, I will withhold judgement....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Should be better than 13-5. I will say either 14-4 or perhaps 15-3
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:16-2? Please.

Like Ace just said, there will be growing pains from the young frontcourt players. This team isn't a finished product 1-13.

I would love to predict such a league record. Reality is otherwise imo.

We will be good, yes I know that. How good? I'm going to wait until they throw the ball up, and especially against Cincy.

That game will be a barometer of the season....win it, and expectations are realistic. Otherwise, I will withhold judgement....
Can't wait til cincy to predict. Obadiah's prediction contest is right around the corner. That's when the predictions get interesting when there is a nice prize on the line�
0 x