A10 Media Day 10/18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Media Day 10/18

Unread post by ace »

Replays and recaps if you want to catch up-

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211237590
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:I don't think it is unreasonable for Mathews and Martin to be named 2nd team given their injuries but they truly are two of the most elite, talented and high potential basketball players in the A10. They are 1st team talents even if the A10 coaches don't want to recognize it now
I don't think it has to do with a10 coaches not wanting to recognize them as elite players. Look at the end of the season awards last year. Three guys who made first team last year are still in the league so those guys were obviously likely to be preseason first team this year.

We all know EC could potentially be first team and I'm sure many other coaches and fans know that as well. It just seems like this board likes to ignore all the other talented guys in the a10.

Also I don't even think Hassan deserves to be first team. Look at his stats compared to Cavanaugh or Cline. He's a very good defender but not the type of guy who can take over a game on offense.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I've liked Kendall Pollard since URI was recruiting him and really hope he gets healthy and can play a full season. Without him, Dayton's front court is questionable, and it's beyond sad and unfair why that's the case. Pollard's a senior and deserves a good last season- he makes Dayton and the conference stronger.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

STC wrote:Just today I have read on this board that URI is going to the Elite Eight and Kuran will average 13 and 10 this year.

What the fuck is going on with people on this board? Can we live in reality for a minute...
People had the same reaction before Holton's freshman year when I predicted 10 and 7. Thought I was crazy. What did he actually average that season? 10.2 and 8.1. Tried to go back in time to find the quote but records on the board don't go back far enough. I could be crazy, but I think it is entirely possible. Check back with me in March.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

STC wrote:Just today I have read on this board that URI is going to the Elite Eight and Kuran will average 13 and 10 this year.

What the fuck is going on with people on this board? Can we live in reality for a minute...
What is your reality?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote:

What is your reality?
0% chance Kuran averages 13 points, he gets into foul trouble too much and he didn't even average 10 points WITHOUT EC, what makes you think he will average 13 WITH EC?

I guess there's a chance he gets close to 10 boards, but again, all comes down to foul trouble/ there's more low post players now who will take minutes from him.

As for the Elite Eight, I guess anything can happen? However, it would take a near perfect season and a lot of luck for an Elite Eight appearance.

1, maybe 2 wins in the tournament should be the goal, assuming everyone stays healthy.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Iggy1979 wrote:

What is your reality?
I would say Kuran will average roughly what he did last year and URI's ceiling is Round of 32.

I would gladly take 13 and 10 from Kuran and an Elite Eight but I would be surprised if either happened.

...that's why the play the game though...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Iverson was at 9.8 PPG and 7.1 RPG last year. Those numbers could bump up a bit, but 13-and-10 seems aggressive to me as well. URI is deeper, which should reduce the defensive pressure on all players on offense to create and get open shots, but more talent up and down the roster should also mean more balance in stat lines.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

If you read back my original post indicates that those numbers are dependent on staying out of foul trouble, and apparently some people forget how dominant offensively Iverson looked at times early in games before his rhythm was derailed by premature trips to the bench.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody Guy wrote:If you read back my original post indicates that those numbers are dependent on staying out of foul trouble, and apparently some people forget how dominant offensively Iverson looked at times early in games before his rhythm was derailed by premature trips to the bench.
You say "staying out of foul trouble" as if it's as easy as just waking up in the right mood that morning. ;) While I imagine he could improve that aspect of his game, he's probably not going to be moving his feet like Tim Duncan anytime soon.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

I would say he had at least 1 foul per game that was just a stupid frustration foul. I remember being frustrated watching him commit a foul not because of struggling to guard someone but because he would let his emotion get the better of him. That is something that can be corrected.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Also - I would think if it is a mental thing that last year when he could not foul out because we had no one on the bench, having some actual backup may help. I would think that he will be closer to 11 and 8, but we will see. You could envision EC being back opening up some easier looks for Kuran so it also would not surprise me to see him average more points.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A great year for Kuran is him becoming a stat stuffer, in all areas beyond points. Assists (he's a prolific passer), Rebounds, Block shots. I would rather him in the 8-10 ppg range, but increasing in all other areas. That would make us scary good. He is a match-up nightmare.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iverson is a great talent. We are fortunate to have him. He has the length, skill, mobility, passing skills, rebounding, shot blocking, defensive skills, can shoot the three, good ball handling for a big man....the type of size and skill that have NBA scouts taking notice last year.
I'm not concerned with what his stats end up but more interested in how he compliments the rest of the first team and subs. Iverson does not get the ink that Mathews, Martin, Terrell and Garrett get but he is a very valuable member of the starting 5. We saw that last year when he sat out injured in A10 games.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He might be the best rebounder we have had this century.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe he can average about 12 and 7 that's more realistic
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU $5.58M, Fordham $5.2M, Richmond $4.9M, Dayton $4.7M, St Louis $4.2M, George Mason $4.1M

The schools that jump out are easily Fordham and George Mason given their on court performance. My guess however is that their spending is very much tied to the fact they are still paying recently fired coaches.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI is in the top 100 at about 3.65 million....PC? 7.3 million...double ours
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep. These figures are often deceiving due to payouts to previous coaches and a lack of standard reporting methods.

When we fired Baron URI was topping some lists.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:Yep. These figures are often deceiving due to payouts to previous coaches and a lack of standard reporting methods.

When we fired Baron URI was topping some lists.
Yeah. I also imagine that you're spending more when you're making the dance and getting invited to the better preseason tournaments (VCU, for example), but the amount you're taking in certainly justifies it.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Rhody Guy wrote:

People had the same reaction before Holton's freshman year when I predicted 10 and 7. Thought I was crazy. What did he actually average that season? 10.2 and 8.1. Tried to go back in time to find the quote but records on the board don't go back far enough. I could be crazy, but I think it is entirely possible. Check back with me in March.
Checking back in. In my opinion Iverson is the embodiment of the Hurley era. Lots of hype, a guy with a famous last name and not even coming close to meeting expectations.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

STC wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:

Checking back in. In my opinion Iverson is the embodiment of the Hurley era. Lots of hype, a guy with a famous last name and not even coming close to meeting expectations.
Been waiting a while to troll huh? 9.5 and 7.5 on the season, and 11 and 9 in conference. Less than 25 minutes/game. I stand by the statement you misquoted. If he can stay out of foul trouble consistently he would average 13 and 10.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

KI is just like the entire team....at times he meets and exceeds expectations....plays great....

And other times they have to put out an APB for him.......

Sometimes it's foul related, and sometimes it's not.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He is definitely the enigma. If he ever can get consistent and not get into early foul trouble then we are such a better team
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Just more proof that recruiting rankings don't mean much.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:

Seems you were pretty rough on Iverson with your original statement and then you are coming back again as if your point has been proven. But you are not alone, some even thought KI should not be starting and coming off the bench earlier in the season. Does he have room for improvement? sure, but KI is a pretty talented guy who has worked pretty hard this year on rebounding, blocked shots and defense. Maybe his best is yet to come in the next 3 games, A10 Tournament and Post Season Tournament play. I would not bet against him.

Iverson having played in 14 A10 Games:
- 4th in Rebounding with 8.7 rpg to go along with 9.5ppg - not far from averaging a double-double
- 14th in Field Goal Percentage with 48.7% - so he is among the Top 15 in shooting proficiency
- 3rd in Blocked Shots with 1.7 bpg
- 5th in Offensive Rebounding with 2.8 offensive rpg

Not sure what his expectations were but being in the Top 5 in Rebounding, Blocked Shots and Offensive Rebounding in the 14 Team A10 along with Top 15 in Shooting Percentage should at the very least qualify him as Meeting Expectations. I'd put him down for Exceeding Expectations to be honest but certainly not your statement of "not even coming close to meeting expectations."
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Iverson was the 33rd overall recruit in the 2013 class. At 6'9 with his athleticism he should be dominating the A10.

At the very least, Iverson should be a better Delroy James. Unfortunately like most under Hurley, the growth hasn't happened.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

STC wrote:Iverson was the 33rd overall recruit in the 2013 class. At 6'9 with his athleticism he should be dominating the A10.

At the very least, Iverson should be a better Delroy James. Unfortunately like most under Hurley, the growth hasn't happened.
Delroy James was really good. Iverson wasn't any good at Memphis. So many people thought he'd be different here. That's on them not Hurley. Your recruiting ranking means very little after two years of college ball.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
STC wrote:Iverson was the 33rd overall recruit in the 2013 class. At 6'9 with his athleticism he should be dominating the A10.

Delroy James was really good. Iverson wasn't any good at Memphis. So many people thought he'd be different here. That's on them not Hurley. Your recruiting ranking means very little after two years of college ball.
STC, .
Iverson was the 33rd ranked recruit but when he went to Memphis, did not play up to the 33rd recruit level, then sat out a year and then suited up live for URI I don't think you can hold Hurley to having started with a 33rd overall ranked recruit. You and I know he was not that when he arrived here.
Now look at Iverson's A10 stats through 14 games:
- 4th in Rebounding with 8.7 per game plus 9.5ppg - almost a double-double
- 5th in Offensive Rebounding with 2.8 per game
- 3rd in Blocked Shots with 1.7 per game
- 14th in Field Goal Percentage with 48.7%

You say there has been no growth but I would say Iverson is playing his best basketball for us the past several weeks.

I don't recall where Delroy James finished in the League Rankings, but to say he is not even close to Delroy I can't seen your reasoning.
If you told me before the season Iverson would be 4th in rebounding, 3rd in blocked shots, 5th in offensive rebounding AND 14th in shooting percentage I would say I'LL TAKE IT!!

Tonight Iverson plays the most minutes of every player on EITHER Team with 37 minutes. Think about that - no other player on either team played 37 minutes or more. KI controlled his fouls and proved he should be on the court almost the entire game.
KI had 10 rebounds which was more than any other player on either team
KI had 5 assists which was more than any other player on either team except Jeff Dowtin who had 7

just my opinion
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x