A10 Preview from NBC Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

A10 Preview from NBC Sports

Unread post by Blue Man »

0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Preview from NBC Sports

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FIRED UP

RHODY
:lol:
RHODY
:lol:
RHODY

RAMS
RAMS
RAMS
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Clearly you guys didn't get the memo...publicity is bad.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Awful.

Publicity is the worst. I hate it.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

E.C. Matthews shrunk an inch from his first mention in the piece to the third mention...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Thanks, Smarty, for my favorite thing on twitter today. Your program is good, VCU, why are some of your fans so sensitive?!

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah, I was reading some of T-Payne's back-and-forth with VCU fans and you'd think he predicted them to go winless by some of the stuff they were saying.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:E.C. Matthews shrunk an inch from his first mention in the piece to the third mention...
If the article was any longer, he'd by Jarvis-sized by the end of it.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

They gave Jarvis the height EC lost and then some!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea VCU fans are all in a tisy over this review, this the year of the RHODY RAM!
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody15 wrote:Awful.

Publicity doesn't matter when it comes to winning actual games. That's the memo boys.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

Publicity doesn't matter when it comes to winning actual games. That's the memo boys.
Actually it kind of does.

With no publicity, fans would be less likely to attend home games, which would mean quieter crowds at The Ryan Center, which would give us less of a home court advantage, which could potentially be the difference in winning or losing close games.

So yes, publicity does affect winning actually games.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

With no publicity, fans would be less likely to attend home games, which would mean quieter crowds at The Ryan Center, which would give us less of a home court advantage, which could potentially be the difference in winning or losing close games.

So yes, publicity does affect winning actually games.
Not to mention that it helps in recruiting, which I believe helps in winning actual games due to needing players to play in said games.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You guys are being too rational. Please stop. Publicity is bad. Marketing is bad.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow!!!!!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I loved this:

"ON SELECTION SUNDAY WE’LL BE SAYING … : You don’t want to be in the same bracket as Rhode Island or Dayton."
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"University of Rhode Island" and "Final Four" are actually mentioned in an article together.

We may not sniff the Final Four, but just getting written about as a Final Four sleeper is crazy and shows how far we have come.

What a program Hurley has built.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Publicity doesn't matter when it comes to winning actual games. That's the memo boys.[/quote]

So yes, publicity does affect winning actually games.[/quote]

Not to mention that it helps in recruiting, which I believe helps in winning actual games due to needing players to play in said games.[/quote]

Bit of a stretch...I can see it now.

Coach Dan Hurley in the postgame lockerroom after a tough home loss. "Guys, I love the effort. Tremendous grit and fight to come back. But it's not your fault. We got lousy publicity from our marketing department in August. They're the ones slacking. If only 117 more people had seen we were pre-season #21 in the Athlon's preview, we would've won this one!! That's the difference in the game. Damn that lack of publicity! We're gonna spend an hour on that publicity thing in practice tomorrow. Forget about the zone offense execution."

The two best thing to improve recruiting is 1) a coach who knows how to do it and 2) winning.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You are being purposefully obtuse about this. Publicity is an ingredient in having a successful program, but nobody is arguing it is the most important one. Instead of me trying to explain the indirect benefits of publicity to someone who is actively trying not to understand, why don't you explain what the negatives are associated with the publicity that you are railing against?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And water is not wet....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

On paper our team is loaded. Zero weaknesses apparent.

Time to win.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

intentionally obtuse was the polite way of saying it

Apparently he likes when media or recruits refer to us as RIU
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody15 wrote:"University of Rhode Island" and "Final Four" are actually mentioned in an article together.

We may not sniff the Final Four, but just getting written about as a Final Four sleeper is crazy and shows how far we have come.

What a program Hurley has built.
Speaking of sniffing, I can almost smell that Rhody aroma with a few days until Rhody Madness and exactly 1 month until the season debut vs Dartmouth.
0 x
GO RAMS
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I've been in off-season hibernation and forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions...but are people really trying to complain about positive pre-season publicity/hype?!?! Obviously the team has to prove the hype is warranted and deliver W's. But good lord...I can't fathom how anyone can complain.

Anyway I'm HYPED for Rhody Madness on Friday. Should be a lot of fun & hope to see you all there. Especially if you haven't attended Madness recently...it's a really good atmosphere.

(Then again, maybe we shouldn't hype or promote the event? Why should anyone come support the team before the season even starts? Especially since they haven't even won a game. #Pathetic.)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EZBuckets wrote:I've been in off-season hibernation and forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions...but are people really trying to complain about positive pre-season publicity/hype?!?! Obviously the team has to prove the hype is warranted and deliver W's. But good lord...I can't fathom how anyone can complain.

Anyway I'm HYPED for Rhody Madness on Friday. Should be a lot of fun & hope to see you all there. Especially if you haven't attended Madness recently...it's a really good atmosphere.

(Then again, maybe we shouldn't hype or promote the event? Why should anyone come support the team before the season even starts? Especially since they haven't even won a game. #Pathetic.)
Basically one person, the same one who disagrees with every post.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This is why some people can't have nice things.

Curmudgeons.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So yeah...I'm confused. I am struggling to find one point where people have ever said that publicity is all that matters - but just being contrarian to the point of saying it doesn't matter at all is straight up dumb.

So if winning is all that translates to recruits, how did EC Matthews/Hassan Martin/Jared Terrell/Jarvis Garrett come here?

It's 2016, like it or not kids care about things like publicity; re-tweets, ig likes, national TV time, reading about their team in preseason bullshit, etc. You're literally an asshole or dumb, but I've seen you post some intelligent things so I'm leaning more towards the former. It's OK to be in the middle on something.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Blue Man warming up
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Blue Man wrote:So yeah...I'm confused. I am struggling to find one point where people have ever said that publicity is all that matters - but just being contrarian to the point of saying it doesn't matter at all is straight up dumb.

So if winning is all that translates to recruits, how did EC Matthews/Hassan Martin/Jared Terrell/Jarvis Garrett come here?

It's 2016, like it or not kids care about things like publicity; re-tweets, ig likes, national TV time, reading about their team in preseason bullshit, etc. You're literally an asshole or dumb, but I've seen you post some intelligent things so I'm leaning more towards the former. It's OK to be in the middle on something.

+1 x's 1,000,000

Are you kidding me! Publicity is bad???. Lololol the most idiotic statements ever... Fatts chose us partly do to the direction and success of the program. If you don't think all this publicly didn't have a part in that, blue man is right, but I'm leaning towards the ladder.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Somewhere the resident contrarian who proclaimed Jimmy Baron needs to bend his knees more on foul shots is laughing
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

OK, now that everybody is worked up into a lather, can we look at what's been written and not written? I mean geez, guys, you want to quibble with me, fine. But my words are posted, if you're going to quote me then quote me verbatim.

1) If you can show me where I said pre-season publicity is bad, then let's see it. But I believe my point has been that pre-season publicity doesn't matter as it relates to wins. You want to get the general public excited about URI hoops, then win. The diehards? They're excited if they see a walk-on sitting in the local barber shop. They'll be at the Ryan Center no matter what. I'm a diehard but I'm also a realist and a believer in "show me, don't tell me." Like a lot of folks are passive and waiting to get on board, URI needs to show them how good they are, not have some media type or magazine tell them.

2) Seeing RIU instead of URI...big deal. Should serve as motivation to play the ol' "lack of respect" card. If Rhody wins big, then everyone will know it's URI...just like we all know that Wally Sczerbiak went to Miami of Ohio and not Miami of Florida.

3) Let's see, did I say that "winning is all that translates to recruits?" as has been alleged on this board. Nope. If you look at my post, I wrote that the "two best things to improve recruiting is 1) a coach who knows how to do it and 2) winning." That's how Coach Cal got it going at UMASS in the 90's, Izzo at MSU, to name a few. (Josh Pastner could recruit but he couldn't win big at Memphis.) There are other factors that effect recruiting depending on the program: like playing time, coach/staff personality, proximity to home, NBA development, academics, hookers, (just making sure you're paying attention...Louisville fans I'm kidding about that last one, sort of), etc. So how did URI land some recruits? You'd have to ask Dan or the recruits. I am not sure if the player would list URI's pre-season ranking in Athlon's as a high on the list. I could be wrong. Find me a recruit who commits to a school and thinks the direction of the program will be going down when he'll be there.

I wish all of you the best in your excitement about URI's pre-season hype. I mean that. Enjoy it. I'll wait until they tip it off before I get carried away. To quote Coach Norman Dale, "I love you guys."
0 x