Bigs

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Who will be the first big off the bench?

Andre Berry
68%
Cyril Langevine
14%
Mike Layssard
16%
Mike Tertsea
3%

Total votes: 37

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bigs

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Any guesses?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Bigs

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm going with Cyril initially, solely based on his defensive abilities and game shape.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I said Berry, based on experience, but I am curious to see if he is still just more of a matchup play this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I picked Berry. I believe his experience and maturity will make him the first option at the beginning of the year. We'll see if that's still the case once conference play rolls around.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Berry initially then Langevine. But I believe they all will get good playing time, especially the way our bigs have gotten in foul trouble the past few years.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Berry's not a natural replacement for either Martin or Iverson, so it may more of a matchup issue where they need some beef up front. I can't wait to see how the new guys develop
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I went with Layssard. I think he's most offensively ready for this level.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote:I went with Layssard. I think he's most offensively ready for this level.
With all the offense we have coming back, I highly doubt any of the freshman will be asked to do much scoring.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed, couple that with a coach that values defense
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

An interesting and good sign though that three different guys have gotten votes!

I'd think that Berry would be the first guy off the bench, unless he's still having some defensive issues that make him unplayable except in zone. One of the freshmen could take that spot by the end of the year, but if Berry isn't the #1 big man option off the bench, then I think it might be a game-by-game situation based on match-ups.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I would expect one of the Freshmen to separate themselves and become a big component to this years team. I also think we'll redshirt Tertsea which would be a valuable year for him to work on his game and become a viable big off the bench next season.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Two things to consider as it relates to whether Tertaea (or any of the FR bigs will redshirt)

1. Dans memory of last season - unforeseen injuries and the wear and tear of the season. He may finally want a full 13 man scholarship roster.

2. Dans ambition to compete with the big boys - Tertsea is our only true center, with a 7'4" wingspan nonetheless. If Dan only cared about playing at top of A10 he may redshirt him, but to win in March especially against the P5 teams with big athletes Tertsea may prove to be an asset. Especially after 30 games under his belt and getting acclimated. If only to come in and bang a big opposing center, keep Hass out of early foul trouble etc.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When was the last time a freshman basketball player came in and redshirted his first year?
I can't think of any.
I doubt we see this practice under DH.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Tertsea redshirts, the redshirt can be broken at any time.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

None of these freshmen chose URI with the idea that they would redshirt
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote:If Tertsea redshirts, the redshirt can be broken at any time.
I think this is a confusing (or confused) way of describing it. Really, a redshirt is a thing that happens after the season if a player does not use any eligibility. There is no official "redshirt" designation that is applied to a player akin to putting a guy on IR or something.

The way I would say what you said is that even if they decide to try not to play him to save a year of eligibility, they can always play him if they need him at any point.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

What about Akele?.................He did a lot of things well.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I chose Tertsea but I plead ignorance, I need to see these guys in practice to tell them apart skill wise.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For several reasons, including his age, Langevine seems a bit like younger Hassan. Only 6'7" or so but has PF/big man skill set. If he develops anything like #12, he was a steal (just like Hassan). Akele has legit height, but I think they see him developing into more of a wing type player. He could see time at the 4 in certain line-ups, but he hopefully won't be pushed into minutes there.

Coach quotes from Blue Ribbon on the new bigs (buy this, you will not be sorry- if I plug it, I feel less bad about pasting quotes). These would have been from after the summer session-

“Cyril is strong beyond his years at 17, quick and explosive, super competitive and a player with great potential,” Hurley said. "He can impact us as a rebounder, defender and finisher this year once he adjusts to the college game.”

“At 6-9, 280 pounds, Mike (Layssard) is a physical guy and a well-rounded offensive player right now,” Hurley said. “He’s got to get himself in better shape and will benefit greatly from an outstanding strength program. He’s a guy that we can throw the ball in the post to right now, that can step away and make shots, and one who understands offensive basketball. He needs to work on the conditioning, and we must teach him college defense.”

“Mike (Tertsea) has been a pleasant surprise,” Hurley said. “His offense is behind his defense, but not as far behind as we probably thought. He’s done some nice things on the backboards and defensively at 6-10 and almost 230 that we need and haven’t had in this program in a couple years. We’re excited about his development."
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I chose Tertsea but I plead ignorance, I need to see these guys in practice to tell them apart skill wise.
ace wrote:For several reasons, including his age, Langevine seems a bit like younger Hassan. Only 6'7" or so but has PF/big man skill set. If he develops anything like #12, he was a steal (just like Hassan). Akele has legit height, but I think they see him developing into more of a wing type player. He could see time at the 4 in certain line-ups, but he hopefully won't be pushed into minutes there.

Coach quotes from Blue Ribbon on the new bigs (buy this, you will not be sorry- if I plug it, I feel less bad about pasting quotes). These would have been from after the summer session-

“Cyril is strong beyond his years at 17, quick and explosive, super competitive and a player with great potential,” Hurley said. "He can impact us as a rebounder, defender and finisher this year once he adjusts to the college game.”

“At 6-9, 280 pounds, Mike (Layssard) is a physical guy and a well-rounded offensive player right now,” Hurley said. “He’s got to get himself in better shape and will benefit greatly from an outstanding strength program. He’s a guy that we can throw the ball in the post to right now, that can step away and make shots, and one who understands offensive basketball. He needs to work on the conditioning, and we must teach him college defense.”

“Mike (Tertsea) has been a pleasant surprise,” Hurley said. “His offense is behind his defense, but not as far behind as we probably thought. He’s done some nice things on the backboards and defensively at 6-10 and almost 230 that we need and haven’t had in this program in a couple years. We’re excited about his development."

This is a pretty good assessment of the new bigs.
I don't remember our previous coach going into so much detail.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

"He’s a guy that we can throw the ball in the post to right now" Music to my ears
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramfan85 wrote: This is a pretty good assessment of the new bigs.
I don't remember our previous coach going into so much detail.
I am not kidding when I say that is because he literally did not know that much detail.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011