College Basketball Talk: Programs on the Rise, Decline

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

College Basketball Talk: Programs on the Rise, Decline

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Rhody is the last team mentioned in the "Programs On the Rise" section. Can't wait for the season to start. GO RHODY!!

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... e-decline/
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: College Basketball Talk: Programs on the Rise, Decline

Unread post by Rhody15 »

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... transfers/

Robinson talked about down the list. CBT will be doing a ton of preseason countdowns, lists, rankings up until the season. Safe to say we'll be included in some of these.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Crazy to see Georgetown on a list of programs on the decline...IMO that is 1 job that scares me if it ever opened up. Dan would need to make a run this year, but if they ever got rid of JT3 and we put together a 2nd weekend in March run Dan could be a very compelling candidate for that gig. JT3 can't have much longer of a rope to turn things around given the talent they bring in there. I'm rooting for Georgetown this year!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The idea of Georgetown firing a Thompson is hard to fathom, but they've had a few recent seasons of underachieving. I'll be following them this year because of Jagan Mosely. So far, they seem to be a middle of the conference team. I'm also still not sold on the idea of Mullin working out at St. John's.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote:The idea of Georgetown firing a Thompson is hard to fathom, but they've had a few recent seasons of underachieving. I'll be following them this year because of Jagan Mosely. So far, they seem to be a middle of the conference team. I'm also still not sold on the idea of Mullin working out at St. John's.
Any job where a coach "doesn't work out" isn't one that scares me in the sense that they would take Dan. St John's was a dumpster fire before Mullin, and if Mullin doesn't turn it around it's just going to be more of the same but with a URI post-baron feel. A program stuck.

He loves winning. Who knows maybe we'll get on a great run, get a great talent pipeline, make some great investments and become a perennial contender and trendy NCAA darkhorse pick year in/out...and maybe he decides to stay forever (he dreamed and smiled to himself).

Dan will leave us some day Shaka style to a great program in region. It will take him time to get himself to a point where he's on one of those lists.

Let's just enjoy the winning that will come with that :-D
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And then there's Goodman whow thinks that we're overrated.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... ated-teams
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I actually kind of think that is fair. I'm very optimistic and I love the attention and the expectations, but until we accomplish something on the court I think it OK for people to at least raise the point that we haven't accomplished anything on the court yet.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Honestly, I expected some sort of hot take in the article, but I thought it was a reasonable take. Goodman didn't say anything that was critical of the program, he just stated the obvious in that they need to prove it on the court.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jeff Goodman posts here under PMMM.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I mean yeah, he isn't wrong, but aren't there approximately 351 teams that still need to prove it on the court?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:I mean yeah, he isn't wrong, but aren't there approximately 351 teams that still need to prove it on the court?
Yes and no. We have the longest NCAA tournament drought by far of any teams being mentioned in the top 25 lists. We also have the fewest total NCAA tournament appearances of all teams being mentioned in top 25 lists except for St. Mary's who we're tied with.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:
ace wrote:The idea of Georgetown firing a Thompson is hard to fathom, but they've had a few recent seasons of underachieving. I'll be following them this year because of Jagan Mosely. So far, they seem to be a middle of the conference team. I'm also still not sold on the idea of Mullin working out at St. John's.
Any job where a coach "doesn't work out" isn't one that scares me in the sense that they would take Dan. St John's was a dumpster fire before Mullin, and if Mullin doesn't turn it around it's just going to be more of the same but with a URI post-baron feel. A program stuck.

He loves winning. Who knows maybe we'll get on a great run, get a great talent pipeline, make some great investments and become a perennial contender and trendy NCAA darkhorse pick year in/out...and maybe he decides to stay forever (he dreamed and smiled to himself).

Dan will leave us some day Shaka style to a great program in region. It will take him time to get himself to a point where he's on one of those lists.

Let's just enjoy the winning that will come with that :-D

My comments weren't really in reference to a coaching situation. For several reasons, it's not something I give too much thought to. I know it's sacrilege around here, but the Big East was always the conference I followed since I was a kid. To see teams that were such cornerstones now in other conferences or still in the BE but not being dominant is strange to me. The Big East is very good (sorry) but seeing teams like Butler, Creighton, Xavier predicted to lead the conference, plus Villanova, still seems off.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

josephski wrote:
adam914 wrote:I mean yeah, he isn't wrong, but aren't there approximately 351 teams that still need to prove it on the court?
Yes and no. We have the longest NCAA tournament drought by far of any teams being mentioned in the top 25 lists. We also have the fewest total NCAA tournament appearances of all teams being mentioned in top 25 lists except for St. Mary's who we're tied with.
Totally understand your point, and you aren't wrong, but it still is such a bad cliche to use in college basketball where every team has so much turnover. Duke has an entire new team except for 4 players and are the unanimous #1 (as they probably should be) but don't they still have to prove it on the court? Their past performance doesn't necessarily mean they will be great again this year.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

I think past performance means more for historically good teams than teams like URI. Duke has proven they can win with young players, have one of the best coaches in college basketball and historically have always been good. This along with the team they have on paper makes it hard to doubt they will be good. URI looks good on paper. We haven't been historically good, our coach has never made the NCAA tournament, and we finished last season with a 17-15 record.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

josephski wrote:I think past performance means more for historically good teams than teams like URI. Duke has proven they can win with young players, have one of the best coaches in college basketball and historically have always been good. This along with the team they have on paper makes it hard to doubt they will be good. URI looks good on paper. We haven't been historically good, our coach has never made the NCAA tournament, and we finished last season with a 17-15 record.
Yeah, again all completely true, but...they still have to prove it on the court this year. That's my only point, the "they have to prove it on the court" cliche just makes no sense to me, since literally every team has to prove it on the court when we are at a point where zero games have been played.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
josephski wrote:I think past performance means more for historically good teams than teams like URI. Duke has proven they can win with young players, have one of the best coaches in college basketball and historically have always been good. This along with the team they have on paper makes it hard to doubt they will be good. URI looks good on paper. We haven't been historically good, our coach has never made the NCAA tournament, and we finished last season with a 17-15 record.
Yeah, again all completely true, but...they still have to prove it on the court this year. That's my only point, the "they have to prove it on the court" cliche just makes no sense to me, since literally every team has to prove it on the court when we are at a point where zero games have been played.
True it's a tired cliche. I guess it comes down to how many question marks there are surrounding a team and just how much needs to be proved.
0 x