Rhody Madness Friday October 14

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody Madness Friday October 14

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Any word on who the musical act will be?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bachman-Turner Overdrive...and they are going to play the same tune over and over and over again....(and you know what it is)
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

50/50 on Takin care or business or You aint seen nothin yet.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

No musical act this year.

Madness will once again focus on the team itself. There will be a carnival-like atmosphere for the FanFest outside before the event. Madness will feature performances by the spirit squads, drumline & players.

I'm looking forward to it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So I may attend then!
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Sounds like a good idea. Not only to have the college student there but have the young kids from around the area there to meet coaches and players. I know the team has been going to local schools which is a wonderful idea.
thats why Hurley is worth every penny! The guy knows how to build a program. The wins and NCAA's will come. If I was URI I would start making plans to out bid the bigger schools after this
Season. Losing this guy would drop URI back down.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'll be there, I agree not having some crazy commercialized rapper is better for the entire rams fan-base including students. It was sort of taking away the spot light from the team. It became a fight between schools of who would have the most famous music artist and that isn't what its about. PUMPED
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think musical acts are more for the recruits than they are for anyone else .. but ultimately I think it is less important now given the fact madness is spread over several weeks due to lightening practice guidelines, giving players the chance to see 2-3 events versus 1. The rat race for the "big name," was more important before trying to convince players to attend one event versus another. These events might be the buggiest future recruiting tool a school has to offer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree happy to not have the headliner from outside.

DH is getting his recruiting done before the madness night anyway. He doesn't need entertainment help. His players and his program mean business :D :D :D
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This format is a nod to the non-student loyal fans who may have been feeling left out. The new madness events pretty much cater only to the students, including the players, but this sounds like a good compromise.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO this is one event that should be tailored to the students. They bring the energy necessary for an event like this to work. If it's loud for any of the old timers they always have the actual games to sit down at ;)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I work too late on Fridays to get to this. I'm hoping for an open practice on a Saturday morning like they had last year.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Season tickets are in and will be distributed to those attending.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm taking my kid with me. Should be fun.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm definitely there....its been a long off season. Can't wait for season!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm picking Cyril to win the dunk contest.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Maybe I represent the younger demographic on this board but in talking with some friends/alumni they didn't seem inclined to go this year since there is no musical act.

I didn't go last year and won't be attending this year but last year I did actually consider it since Rae Sremmurd was performing and all the anticipation surrounding that season.

And look, I get it. Music somewhat detracts from an event that should be focused around the team. That said, I think the act brings in the fringe fan and helps them get excited about the team. Also helps make it more of an event on campus.

Like that's great people are going and bringing their kids but I'd prefer Rhody madness target the student body and get them excited about the upcoming season.

This year's event will be more basketball centric and that's not a bad thing. Just more basketball purists and less drunk college students looking for something to do on a Friday night.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote:Maybe I represent the younger demographic on this board but in talking with some friends/alumni they didn't seem inclined to go this year since there is no musical act.

I didn't go last year and won't be attending this year but last year I did actually consider it since Rae Sremmurd was performing and all the anticipation surrounding that season.

And look, I get it. Music somewhat detracts from an event that should be focused around the team. That said, I think the act brings in the fringe fan and helps them get excited about the team. Also helps make it more of an event on campus.

Like that's great people are going and bringing their kids but I'd prefer Rhody madness target the student body and get them excited about the upcoming season.

This year's event will be more basketball centric and that's not a bad thing. Just more basketball purists and less drunk college students looking for something to do on a Friday night.
There's still free Kingston Pizza, hot dogs and other stuff. Food usually draws the students. Although a couple of years ago I think they were doing free burgers outside and I saw a lot of students grab a free burger and head right back towards the dorms.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A rap / hip hip artist will ALWAYS draw. In my opinion they should have had a music act to gear it more towards the students, in addition to the basketball activities.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I would be curious to know where the money came from last year to pay for Fetty Wap which eventually became the less-expensive Rae Sremmurd, and what did that money go towards this year?

Not sure how accurate the below link is but looks like $30K if you want to order Rae Sremmurd.

http://www.gtabookings.com/deals/
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

STC wrote:Maybe I represent the younger demographic on this board but in talking with some friends/alumni they didn't seem inclined to go this year since there is no musical act.

Im also part of the younger demographic but I'm definitely going. Been waiting since the American U game to see EC and co. on that hardwood floor. I really don't care about the music, which isn't good anyways.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The ad for the event says "live entertainment". It doesn't say what it is though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:The ad for the event says "live entertainment". It doesn't say what it is though.
PMMM is handling the entertainment �
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree that this event should be geared towards the students...they will bring the energy to make these types of events work.
There isn't much actual basketball, this is a glorified pep rally. The music act is key to drawing them in.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote:The ad for the event says "live entertainment". It doesn't say what it is though.
The Marching Band?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

For people that went last year or the year before, do they have food stands open. It sounds like the free food is from 5-7 and I'm not sure I'll get there in time.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:For people that went last year or the year before, do they have food stands open. It sounds like the free food is from 5-7 and I'm not sure I'll get there in time.
Yeah, it's usually outside before the basketball stuff. At least that's how it was last time I went with the free burgers outside...two years ago, I think.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

They may have a limited number of the concession booths open, such as in the North Lobby and behind 205 in the concourse.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I can't make this. Looking forward to reports from those who attend.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Please post updates/pictures/video if attending. Would love to see how things are going
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Palpable buzz in Kingston tonight!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Is the event being broadcasted on B101 tonight?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any updates or places to watch videos?
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

Anyone else having trouble checking in on the rewards app for the 100 points?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good times...got there at 5:15ish, no food left. :lol:
Asked about where to get my tix, was told "inside."
Went to the door got yelled at that "no one can come in until 6."

Went home then back again at 6:30, picked up my tickets and came back home.

I didn't 'need to be' entertained, and I'm sure glad I live so close, but would suggest:

-if you are going to advertise that a popular establishment like Moe's is going to have free food....don't run out in 15 minutes. Even if you bring the same amount...make it last longer than 15 minutes if it's advertised as a 2 hour event.

-suggest to the folks working the event that, all the people coming to the event, are paying their salaries and...might be good to at least 'pretend' to be nice. The lady treated my wife and I like we were a nuisance.

Then again...what do I know (except that I probably won't go to one of these again)?

Go Rhody
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I think the idea that the food has to be free to attract college kids is kind of over blown. Discounted fare from established college kids eat at would be enough to attract a lot of students to a carnival atmosphere. That would also resolve the food running out issue as well since they would bring more food knowing they are getting some return on their investment.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I got there at 515 and was able to get free hot dog and chili and pop corn and drink. Tickets were available to be picked up any time at the outdoor ticket windows and later inside at their indoor ticket window.

Even without any rapper there were just about the same number of people in the Ryan center as two ears ago. My kindergartener had fun as did I.

As Coach Hurley was addressing the crowd the team spontaneously surrounded him and gave him hugs.

Dan said they were "having a special moment". You can tell each player loves their coach as much as he does them. All players appeared happy as can be.

Before the doors opened the players greeted fans and students in front of the Ryan center. They played the head to head hot shot contest against my son. They were terrible with the small sized basketballs. My son barely noticed them next to him as he was laser focused trying to get a basket.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Anyone have any observations about the players?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:I got there at 515 and was able to get free hot dog and chili and pop corn and drink. Tickets were available to be picked up any time at the outdoor ticket windows and later inside at their indoor ticket window.

Even without any rapper there were just about the same number of people in the Ryan center as two ears ago. My kindergartener had fun as did I.

As Coach Hurley was addressing the crowd the team spontaneously surrounded him and gave him hugs.

Dan said they were "having a special moment". You can tell each player loves their coach as much as he does them. All players appeared happy as can be.

Before the doors opened the players greeted fans and students in front of the Ryan center. They played the head to head hot shot contest against my son. They were terrible with the small sized basketballs. My son barely noticed them next to him as he was laser focused trying to get a basket.
That's awesome, glad you guys had a good time! Timing is everything, I guess!
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Any details from the evening would be very appreciated.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I should have said we got there 515 but didn't get in line to eat until closer to 6.

Did you see the food truck near the Dunkin Donuts tent?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just an introduction to the teams and some contests for the students. The ladies team did a hot shot competition and the guys did a short dunk contest at the end. Terrell won again.

It's not like they did any scrimmaging.

Oh and there was a lady who was an expert multi ball dribbler and juggler. She was entertaining.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

In my opinion it wasn't that entertaining. The men's team was introduced, they danced, did a relay race, dunk contest, then it ended. Was advertised 5-9, but ended right at 8. Having a musical act would have been a better choice. They did wear their blue jerseys which we have not seen yet, and they are much nicer than the white jerseys.

Can't wait until November 11.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ok, so were there a lot of students there? Did they seem enthusiastic? Does Berry look to be trimmer? Layssard? Were there any recruits there? Those are the things I'd like to know. I really don't care about what people had to (or didn't have to) eat.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ok, so were there a lot of students there? Did they seem enthusiastic? Does Berry look to be trimmer? Layssard? Were there any recruits there? Those are the things I'd like to know. I really don't care about what people had to (or didn't have to) eat.
Students were eh, Berry did not look groomer to me, Layssard has the skinniest legs I have ever seen on a big man, I do not know about any recruits being there. Swider was reportedly coming, but ended up at UCONN.
0 x
Go Rhody
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Stopped at the South County Applebee's after Rhody Madness and Dowtin came in. He's a legit 6'3, don't think his height is exaggerated at all. Very good size for a guard, but could stand to gain a few pounds.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Rhody15 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Ok, so were there a lot of students there? Did they seem enthusiastic? Does Berry look to be trimmer? Layssard? Were there any recruits there? Those are the things I'd like to know. I really don't care about what people had to (or didn't have to) eat.
Students were eh, Berry did not look groomer to me, Layssard has the skinniest legs I have ever seen on a big man, I do not know about any recruits being there. Swider was reportedly coming, but ended up at UCONN.
Skinnier legs than Kyle Ivy Jones?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
Skinnier legs than Kyle Ivy Jones?
Manute Bol?
0 x