Lindy's College Basketball Preview

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Lindy's College Basketball Preview

Unread post by bigappleram »

More bad press for those that don't want recognition...according to Jarvis Garrett's instagram he is featured on the cover of the New England version of Lindy's annual college hoop preview. Also features Rodney Purvis (UConn) and Jerome Robinson (BC).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Lindy's College Basketball Preview

Unread post by TruePoint »

Just terrible....

Reminds me of one of the best album names of all time: Good News For People Who Love Bad News
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode Island basketball The Beast of the East
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great recognition for our star point guard. Can't wait to see what new level of excellence he reaches this season!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Jarvis seemed to get better weekly last season. Can he get any better ? His shooting really improved.
Hope he can improve his ft shooting just a bit, and if his outside shooting gets any better look out.
With improvement all around offensively, will there be enough basketballs to go around ?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

luke wrote:Jarvis seemed to get better weekly last season. Can he get any better ? His shooting really improved.
Hope he can improve his ft shooting just a bit, and if his outside shooting gets any better look out.
With improvement all around offensively, will there be enough basketballs to go around ?
Play uptempo and get out and run and there will be plenty of balls to go around.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hard to think he could shoot any better than he did in conference play.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Glad Jarvis is getting recognized. Thought he was our best player last season, hope the picture is of him with the mask.

As for the hype, I don't think anyone views it as bad, they just aren't buying into all the hype. Myself included. We have what looks like a great team on paper but there are still a lot of questions that remain to be answered.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

No mask on the cover
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Bummer, where'd you see the cover?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I would say his average free throw shooting last year was the result of misses in the last few minutes of some games. I attribute that to the fact that he was exhausted. I don't expect that to happen this year as I expect his minutes to be down just enough due to our much better depth.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:Bummer, where'd you see the cover?
He posted a picture
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't know if Garrett's shooting will get even better, as he already made a pretty big jump from his freshman to sophomore year. I do think he'll be a better point guard this season.

Outside of Rhode Island fans, I'm not sure people, even from within the conference, really appreciate what he was getting done with that mask on. They did a great job with it to even get him on the court- he was part of only a 7 or 8 man rotation and they needed him. He'll play with only a mouth guard this season.

But with that mask, he would get winded easier (despite those mouth guard holes) and couldn't be as vocal as he would have liked. His peripheral vision was also limited, which is why I think his assist to turnover ratio will improve this season. He still shot 52% on threes in conference play- only took 63 in but made 33, showing good selection.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

My hope isn't so much that his percentage will improve, as you stated it already jumped and you have to wonder if there is another level there, it's that with EC on the court and attracting the defense that Garrett will have more opportunities for open looks.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

My local Lindy's has Josh Hart (Villanova), Shavar Newkirk, and Obi Enechionyia (Temple) on the cover and no Christion Thompson on the Rhody roster. Rude.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:My hope isn't so much that his percentage will improve, as you stated it already jumped and you have to wonder if there is another level there, it's that with EC on the court and attracting the defense that Garrett will have more opportunities for open looks.
Exactly...fewer 'hold your breath, I'm driving into the forest' moments and more 'drive, dish, Hass with the slam' and open looks for everyone!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:My hope isn't so much that his percentage will improve, as you stated it already jumped and you have to wonder if there is another level there, it's that with EC on the court and attracting the defense that Garrett will have more opportunities for open looks.

Plus Jared Terrells continued improvement. We should be hard to guard.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That's what I like about this team ... no offensive holes in the starting five.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!