Week #7 – Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #7 – Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Exams are winding down at most schools, so we will see increased basketball activity as the week goes on.

With the URI win over SMU last Saturday, the Rams' RPI moves up to #133 and the SOS now stands at #13 which is second only to Butler in the A-10. The Conference RPI is #6, ranging from Butler at #2 to Fordham at #254. At this stage of season, the RPI is far from accurate, but its relevance improves with every game. The fact that URI has improved its position does have some meaning even now.

Butler’s reward for beating Indiana last Saturday was to get ranked in both polls; #19 in the AP Writers Poll and #25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. VCU got some votes in both polls. These two were the only A-10 schools getting attention.

Not much action tonight with only Alcorn State at Temple in the Gotham Classic.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #7 – Games of Interest

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Unbelievable how Butler is ONLY #25 in the coaches poll. How many of those other 24 spots are occupied by teams from power conferences who are enjoying inflated consideration on name only? Just disgraceful.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ken Pomeroy has them at #44!!!!
How can you beat Indiana and UNC and be #44???
What a joke!
They are #3 in RPI, for what it's worth.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

There ranking is a joke. No respect.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

really interesting that SMU plays Utah again tomorrow, this time in Utah. They beat the Utes 62-55 on 11/28
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Utah favored by 7 overnight line
0 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

Yeah, Butler is obviously ranked too low, but then again rankings at this time of the year are pretty overrated. As is RPI.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Saw VCU-WKU.
VCU is scary! They forced 32(!!!) turnovers.
Just relentless, in this updated version of
the old Arkansas "40 Minutes of Hell".
Shaka Smart calls it "Havoc". He got that right!
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

So Canisius is beating Temple by 6 with 8 mins to go.....wtf
0 x
Clapton is God
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wow, up 10 with 5 seconds to go. Dunphy drawing up his 10pt play now...

... and the Baron family defeats Temple at the Liacourus Center 72-62.

Billy with 19pts 6-12FG (1-2 3FG) 6-6FT 4Reb 5A 1TO

Golden Griffs shoot nearly perfect from the line as a team 16-18 and 10-21 from 3pt land.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Griffs win. On some level I find all this hilarious.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Unreal that a-hole Baron is off to an 8-2 start. Just have to keep reminding myself it isn't February yet. It will be nice to watch Baron piss away a good start for a team other than Rhody this year.

How about those fraudulent soon to be 11-1 Charlotte 49ers. Giving powerhouse Radford a beat down. Rhody will beat Charlotte at home on January 12. Bank it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bad night for A10. Dayton loses at home to Illinois St, Xavier gets blown out at #11 Cincy in their rivalry game, and Temple loses at home to the Baron Family.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

You gotta be kidding me did Baron ever beat temple when he was here....def never at temple...unreal
0 x
Clapton is God
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kind of strange... watching UNC-Texas. They're showing Kabongo on the bench while breaking news is saying he's suspended for the season. I wonder if he knew this before the game or if everyone is finding out before he does. Regardless, UNC is going to lose, which is always fun for me.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

gorhody89 wrote:You gotta be kidding me did Baron ever beat temple when he was here....def never at temple...unreal
On one hand, he's doing it with inherited players, Temple isn't as good as its been as in past years, and it's not a conference game for him vs. Temple for the first time in about 500 years, given Baron's time at URI and St. Bonaventure. On the other hand, I still would have put on all the money in world on Temple in this game and been horribly wrong, which is yet another reminder to myself of why I should never ever gamble.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice win for Caniusius I thought they would cover but didnt think they would win, CFL may dance this yr ??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I see a NIT auto-bid. Baron loves the NIT more than any other event. In his mind it's still the national championship.

Baron may win MAAC regular season but will blow it in the conf tournament.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Canisius has some talented guards that are holdovers or transfers that were already coming in. Let's see how Baron recruits new players.

Like was already said, they'll blow it come conference tourney time.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI96 wrote:Griffs win. On some level I find all this hilarious.
Canisius is now 2-0 versus the A-10 (wins over SBU and Temple)

Billy Baron, with 19 points, was the high scorer in the game (for both teams). I seem to recall many here were glad to see him leave, as in their words, we could get better players. I think it is clear that if he is putting up numbers like this against one of the A-10's better teams, he would have helped this Rhody team. I think his scoring, free throw shooting, and on court presence/decision making would have been very beneficial to this year's URI team. Another experienced player that could score (like Billy) might have been the difference for Rhody in several games thus far.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Of course Billy would have helped.

He also would have gotten better coaching, so he might even be better than what he's showing at Canisius.

It didn't happen. We are better off in the long run.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I watched Canisius team beat down Marist, and they play some inside/out game, they gots a designated 3 pt shooter who can fill it up, couple of serviceable inside guys, Billy draws attention from defenses, should be a force in the MAAC. Maybe a good fit for Jim and Billy...........
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

gorhody89 wrote:You gotta be kidding me did Baron ever beat temple when he was here....def never at temple...unreal
He went 4-16 against Temple.
1 of those wins was at Temple (2007).
Last edited by spookydog 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

One year we lost to them 3 times I believe.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

We might have lost to them three times on more than one occasion, when you include the A-10 tournament. The most notable was when Silk and Tommy were seniors. Needless to say I'm sure Missouri and Syracuse might have not been paying attention to our other games.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

URIGONZO wrote:One year we lost to them 3 times I believe.
Did it twice, in 2003 and 2010.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

In 03, had we met them in the A-10 tourney we could have lost to them 4 times. We lost to them on the home and home in A-10 regular season play, then they beat us in the NIT. That would have been something!

Chaney had our number!
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Speaking of Temple, trying to bounce back, up late in the 2nd over Syracuse...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PC loses to Boston College on the road. Great day all around.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

St Joes loses at home to Fairfield by 3 and Xavier loses at home by 1 to Wofford.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:St Joes loses at home to Fairfield by 3 and Xavier loses at home by 1 to Wofford.
Jesus, what's in the water? Maybe everyone took the Mayan thing too seriously and didn't practice this past week, between these results and PC losing to BC.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wofford? Fairfield?
Hey, who said only 6 A-10 wins?
Maybe I should revise it upward?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, crazy results today! How does PC lose to BC? Rhody can't lose to them no matter how bad a team we have.

After the last PC game, I thought it was off to the races for those guys. We know they can't blame the hostile Conte crowd... probably more PC fans there than Eagles fans.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Agree with others sentiments, PC should beat this current edition of the BC Eagles. Donahue hire is a disaster, Skinner should have never been fired.

I saw Ricky Ledo at the Prov Place Mall an hour ago. If PC can get him eligible for next year that would be a huge plus for them.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There goes the NIT for PC. I'd imagine this is an RPI killer. Tough game for Fortune.10 minutes for Johnson?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Canisius trails #21 UNLV at the half 46-39. Billy Baron has 18 points so far.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Shocked PC lost andi thought Canisius would cover as well both losses for me
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:PC loses to Boston College on the road.
BC for some reason seems to have PC's number. The Eagles have won four of the last five games in the series. Kind of odd considering that URI prior to this season had beat BC three straight years with two of those games at Conte. With Boston College in the midst of an extended down period, this is the time to get wins against them.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Obadiah wrote:Canisius trails #21 UNLV at the half 46-39. Billy Baron has 18 points so far.
He finished with 30 and is now averaging 17 ppg and shooting almost 50% with 6 assists per game. Those are dominating numbers. Still glad he transferred since it would have been a distraction but happy he's doing so well since he's a good kid.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In yesterday's action, the A-10 ended up with a 8-6 record. The most notable win was Temple beating Syracuse in NYC. On the loss side there were two bad losses, as both St. Joseph's and Xavier failed to defend their home courts against rivals they were favored to beat. X lost 56-55 to Wofford and St. Joseph's lost to Fairfield, 60-57. Also, Richmond suffered a buzzer beater trey from George Mason to lose, 67-64.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billy had a solid game against #21 Ranked 11-1 UNLV at UNLC in front of 14,500 fans
39 minutes. 10-16 fg, 4-7 three pointers, 606 ft, 5 rebounds 6 assists for 30 points.
Khem Birch had his best game for UNLV so far with 20 points in 29 minutes, 8 rebounds and 6 blocked shots on 7-8 fg shooting
Khem had some interest in URI when he was looking to depart Pitt.
Would have been interesting if Billy did not have all the baggage of the Coaching situation at URI and Holton had kept his record clean. One can only imagine what the Hurley Bros and Preston would have done with the team this year with Billy, Holton and the current group.
Oh well,
nice to sit in the stands during games this year and look at all these guys on the bench waiting for next year - and showing all that enthusiasm that they do throughout game.
also nice to know that we have two guys ranked in the Top 150 coming in next year too
Wouldn't trade that situation for anything BUT
still intriques the mind what Hurley would have done with Billy and Jonathan

12/19/2012
The Panther men continue their perfect season as they have defeated USC-S (SC) 75-62 and Brunswick Community College (NC) 78-72 in the first 2 games of a 3 game tournament in Wilmington North Carolina. In Monday's win Jonathan Holton led the Panthers with his usual double-double (21 pts. 16 rebounds) while freshman Demetric Austin had 17 points and Carrington Ward collected 12. The Panthers are currently 16-0 on the season.

12/10/2012
The Palm Beach State College men's basketball team won 2 games over the weekend at the Florida Juco Shootout in Gainesville defeating Santa Fe Saturday morning 73-57 and Northwest Florida State Sunday morning 68-63. In the Saturday game the Panthers were led by sophomore Jonathan Holton's double-double as he collected a game high 24 points and 13 rebounds. In addition, freshman Carrington Ward had 17 points and Demetric Austin collected 10 points.

Saturday the Panthers got their first signature win of the season as they defeated the #2 ranked team in the country Northwest Florida State in a hard fought battle 68-63. Again the consistent Holton had another double-double collecting 18 points and 13 rebounds while freshman Ward had 17 points and Christian Houston chipped in with 11. In addition Kevin Thomas had 9 points and 9 rebounds. With the 2 victories, Palm Beach ran their record to a perfect 14-0 on the season.

12/3/2012
Palm Beach State men's basketball continued their winning ways on Saturday December 1 as they defeated Daytona State in Daytona 75-57 to earn their 11th consecutive win. The Panthers were led by sophomore transfer (Rhode Island) Jonathan Holton who had a double-double (20 points and 15 rebounds), freshman Demetric Austin (19 points, 11 rebounds) and freshman Carrington Ward (14 points, 6 steals). Palm Beach is currently 11-0 and ranked #8 in the country.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Sunday action:

Fordham hands Siena its 10th loss of season, 81-75.

Iona trounces Norfolk State, 100-72.

Northwestern, leading all the way, beats Brown, 63-42.

In a close contest, Northern Iowa breaks it open in last six minutes to register win over St. Mary's, 82-75. St. Mary's record now at 8-3.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It looks like Stephen Holt is back for Saint Mary's. They've not played the strongest schedule so far, but that team can put up points.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Steal one from St Mary's!!!!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ramster wrote:Billy had a solid game against #21 Ranked 11-1 UNLV at UNLC in front of 14,500 fans
39 minutes. 10-16 fg, 4-7 three pointers,606 ft, 5 rebounds 6 assists for 30 points.
Khem Birch had his best game for UNLV so far with 20 points in 29 minutes, 8 rebounds and 6 blocked shots on 7-8 fg shooting
Khem had some interest in URI when he was looking to depart Pitt.
Would have been interesting if Billy did not have all the baggage of the Coaching situation at URI and Holton had kept his record clean. One can only imagine what the Hurley Bros and Preston would have done with the team this year with Billy, Holton and the current group.
Oh well,
nice to sit in the stands during games this year and look at all these guys on the bench waiting for next year - and showing all that enthusiasm that they do throughout game.
also nice to know that we have two guys ranked in the Top 150 coming in next year too
Wouldn't trade that situation for anything BUT
still intriques the mind what Hurley would have done with Billy and Jonathan

12/19/2012
The Panther men continue their perfect season as they have defeated USC-S (SC) 75-62 and Brunswick Community College (NC) 78-72 in the first 2 games of a 3 game tournament in Wilmington North Carolina. In Monday's win Jonathan Holton led the Panthers with his usual double-double (21 pts. 16 rebounds) while freshman Demetric Austin had 17 points and Carrington Ward collected 12. The Panthers are currently 16-0 on the season.

12/10/2012
The Palm Beach State College men's basketball team won 2 games over the weekend at the Florida Juco Shootout in Gainesville defeating Santa Fe Saturday morning 73-57 and Northwest Florida State Sunday morning 68-63. In the Saturday game the Panthers were led by sophomore Jonathan Holton's double-double as he collected a game high 24 points and 13 rebounds. In addition, freshman Carrington Ward had 17 points and Demetric Austin collected 10 points.

Saturday the Panthers got their first signature win of the season as they defeated the #2 ranked team in the country Northwest Florida State in a hard fought battle 68-63. Again the consistent Holton had another double-double collecting 18 points and 13 rebounds while freshman Ward had 17 points and Christian Houston chipped in with 11. In addition Kevin Thomas had 9 points and 9 rebounds. With the 2 victories, Palm Beach ran their record to a perfect 14-0 on the season.

12/3/2012
Palm Beach State men's basketball continued their winning ways on Saturday December 1 as they defeated Daytona State in Daytona 75-57 to earn their 11th consecutive win. The Panthers were led by sophomore transfer (Rhode Island) Jonathan Holton who had a double-double (20 points and 15 rebounds), freshman Demetric Austin (19 points, 11 rebounds) and freshman Carrington Ward (14 points, 6 steals). Palm Beach is currently 11-0 and ranked #8 in the country.
Billy must have been tired after all those free throws lol
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Marys is a different team at home, that will be a tough one for us
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a late game in the Las Vegas Classic, Colorado State annihilated Virginia Tech, 88-52.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Watched a replay of St. Mary's -Drexel.
St. Mary's has an Austrailian Olympian, Matthew Delladova. Very muscular,
physical PG.
They run the floor very well, and have some size up front.
Could be a very tough game.
They handled Drexel pretty easily on a neutral court.
0 x
Jks1985
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Jks1985 »

Iggy1979 wrote:There goes the NIT for PC. I'd imagine this is an RPI killer. Tough game for Fortune.10 minutes for Johnson?
Ya.. this loss def hurts PC. Just shows them how far they still need to go. I don't think the post season is in reach this season. Maybe 5-6 Big East wins and maybe like a .500 record overall is probably likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a better A10 record than they have Big East
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ace wrote:It looks like Stephen Holt is back for Saint Mary's. They've not played the strongest schedule so far, but that team can put up points.
Steve Holt! </arrested development>

0 x