2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

My understanding is that both Belmont and William & Mary were one off games.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ok, still 6 left to schedule then.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

2017-18 Tournaments

Unread post by RF1 »

Posted this elsewhere in another thread but thought it was appropriate here as well:

Phil Knight 80th birthday Nike tournament next year in Portland, Oregon.
  • Teams: Arkansas, Butler, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Portland, Portland State, Stanford and Texas.

This is what makes our NIT Season Tipoff participation next year even more impressive. Rhody will be in Brooklyn with three other NCAA teams (Virginia, Vandy, and Seton Hall). That would be a great tournament for URI in any year. To do so next season is that much more remarkable. The Phil Knight Nike Tournament has the biggest names in college basketball and it will make them unavailable for other events. The competing tournament fields for next year are going to be very watered down. It will mean that many schools will not get the opportunity to face high profile (and likely high RPI) teams on neutral courts in tourneys. This will mean even less opportunities for big wins for teams outside the power conferences. As we have seen, wins against top 50 teams is a key factor in NCAA selection. The Nike tournament will therefore have a big ripple effect and hurt many non P5 teams. Rhode Island will not be one them given the field of the NIT Season Tipoff.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wow, I need tickets to this tourney. Definitely making that trip.
1 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

These are the other tournaments with some of the notable teams:

Puerto Rico: South Carolina, Florida St., Iowa St., Illinois St.
Charleston: Dayton, Clemson, Temple, Auburn
2K: Providence, Virginia Tech, Washington, St. Louis
USVI: Wake Forest, Colorado, Houston
HOF (Mohegan): Northwestern, Texas Tech, LaSalle, Boston College
Maui: Michigan, Notre Dame, VCU, Wichita, Marquette, California, LSU
Cayman: Cincinnati, Iowa, Richmond
Legends: Oklahoma St., Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, Penn St.,
MGM: Utah, Ole Miss, UNLV, Rice
CBE HOF: UCLA, Baylor, Wisconsin, Creighton
Cancun: George Mason, Louisiana Tech, Fresno St., Evansville
Atlantis: Villanova, Arizona, SMU, Purdue, Tennessee, NC St.
Advocare: West Virginia, St. John's, Missouri, Nebraska, UCF, Oregon St.,
Wooden: St. Mary's, Georgia, Harvard, St. Joseph's, San Diego St., DePaul
Tire (Vegas): Xavier, Kansas St., Arizona St., GW
Emerald: Maryland, TCU, St. Bonaventure, New Mexico
Hawaiian: Miami, USC, Middle Tennessee, Davidson

Notable teams in no tournament yet (or no participation): Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:These are the other tournaments with some of the notable teams:

Notable teams in no tournament yet (or no participation): Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse

Only three of them (Maui, CBE HOF, Atlantis) have better top-4 participant groups than than the NIT Season Tipoff field that URI will be part of.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:These are the other tournaments with some of the notable teams:

Only three of them (Maui, CBE HOF, Atlantis) have better top-4 participant groups than than the NIT Season Tipoff field that URI will be part of.
RPI Live March 13 Ratings: - Pre-season NIT: Rhode Island (31), Virginia (18), Seton Hall (44), Vanderbilt (38)
Seton Hall - 9 Seed lost 1st round to 8 Seed Arkansas
Rhode Island - 11 Seed defeated 6 Seed Creighton, lost to 3 Seed Oregon
Vanderbilt - 9 Seed lost to 8 Seed Northwestern
Virginia - 5 Seed defeated 12 Seed UNC Wilmington, lost to 4 Seed Florida
Virginia -

Agree, Pre-season NIT is strong with all 4 teams finishing 2016-2017 with strong RPIs. 18,31,38 and 44. Pairings to be announced.
Games will be played in Nassau Colliseum
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote:

RPI Live March 13 Ratings: - Pre-season NIT: Rhode Island (31), Virginia (18), Seton Hall (44), Vanderbilt (38)
Seton Hall - 9 Seed lost 1st round to 8 Seed Arkansas
Rhode Island - 11 Seed defeated 6 Seed Creighton, lost to 3 Seed Oregon
Vanderbilt - 9 Seed lost to 8 Seed Northwestern
Virginia - 5 Seed defeated 12 Seed UNC Wilmington, lost to 4 Seed Florida
Virginia -

Agree, Pre-season NIT is strong with all 4 teams finishing 2016-2017 with strong RPIs. 18,31,38 and 44. Pairings to be announced.
Games will be played in Nassau Colliseum
Another great little two game tournament.
This is just as good as the hall of fame tournament and we know how much we benefitted from that.
Beating any of those teams gets us a quality win.
Win two games and we'll be thinking about where we will be seeded from November on.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It appears that the 2017 NIT Season Tipoff may just be four teams and two games from some things I have read. The OP lists that we will have two home games as part of this tourney. This tournament has had a lot of changes in recent years since Rhody last participated. Does anyone know for sure how many games this will entail? If it is just the games in NY, it will mean two more OOC games need to be scheduled by URI.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is an interesting tournament for Will Wade with VCU and LSU both playing

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:It appears that the 2017 NIT Season Tipoff may just be four teams and two games from some things I have read. The OP lists that we will have two home games as part of this tourney. This tournament has had a lot of changes in recent years since Rhody last participated. Does anyone know for sure how many games this will entail? If it is just the games in NY, it will mean two more OOC games need to be scheduled by URI.
We will get two additional home games like I listed if they keep the same format as last year. For instance, this past year New Hampshire, Detroit, and Winthrop (I don't care enough to research who the fourth smaller school was) all participated as smaller schools that played two games at bigger schools then played each other at campus sites. They're often not listed as among the participating schools though because they didn't play at Barclays.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RF1 wrote:It appears that the 2017 NIT Season Tipoff may just be four teams and two games from some things I have read. The OP lists that we will have two home games as part of this tourney. This tournament has had a lot of changes in recent years since Rhody last participated. Does anyone know for sure how many games this will entail? If it is just the games in NY, it will mean two more OOC games need to be scheduled by URI.
We will get two additional home games like I listed if they keep the same format as last year. For instance, this past year New Hampshire, Detroit, and Winthrop (I don't care enough to research who the fourth smaller school was) all participated as smaller schools that played two games at bigger schools then played each other at campus sites. They're often not listed as among the participating schools though because they didn't play at Barclays.
OK -see something about last season that corroborates you. Good to have two home games set up by the tourney that are not guarantees and don't have to be returned.

Each of the four championship round teams will also host two non-bracketed games on campus as part of the event. The complete schedule of the campus-site games will be announced at a later date.

http://espnevents.com/nit-tip-off/press ... formation/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Tis the season. Rothstein has been dropping a few games every day, in the last week Facebook reminded me that two years ago we already had an announcement for the PC date, and last year Mike Laprey said he'd prefer to have the out of conference schedule done by late May/early June. We should start getting more information about our schedule any time now. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impact our tournament appearance will have on the type of teams we schedule.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Tis the season. Rothstein has been dropping a few games every day, in the last week Facebook reminded me that two years ago we already had an announcement for the PC date, and last year Mike Laprey said he'd prefer to have the out of conference schedule done by late May/early June. We should start getting more information about our schedule any time now. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impact our tournament appearance will have on the type of teams we schedule.

Dan has recently made mention multiple times of the fact that URI, unlike most of the NCAA field (excluding lower level conference auto qualifiers) played three true road OOC games last year. I would then suspect that Rhody will not exceed that number this year. At this time the only road OOC game is Holy Cross at the DCU Center. This will not really be a "true" road game as it is not on their normal home court. I would think then that we will not see more than two other road games with a strong possibility of just one. My guess is that they would try to get a decent name opponent in a H&H on the road next year with a return to Kingston the following year when the PC game is away. The lack of a name opponent on the home OOC schedule this past year hurt early attendance. I get the impression that Dan wants more guaranteed home games and that is part of the contract extension that is supposedly in the works.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Correct if I'm wrong, RF1, but I believe that the Holy Cross game at the DCU Center is officially a road game for record keeping purposes (I get what you're saying about "true" road game, but just want to make sure we are speaking the same language).
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's a road game for us, but in the same way as it used to be when teams played us in Providence.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:Correct if I'm wrong, RF1, but I believe that the Holy Cross game at the DCU Center is officially a road game for record keeping purposes (I get what you're saying about "true" road game, but just want to make sure we are speaking the same language).

It believe it is a true road game per the NCAA definition. It however will not be a normal "true" road game. Holy Cross rarely plays at the DCU Center. The Crusaders hosted UMass in its only appearance at the DCU Center last year and drew just 3,591 to the 13,000 seat venue. It was counted by Holy Cross as a home game per their statistical records (Live-RPI listed it as a neutral site) but many in attendance were UMass fans. Holy Cross lost 68-60 to a Minutemen team that went 15-18 with an RPI of 195. The Cross finished the year at 15-17 with an RPI of 204.

I would expect another small crowd in the 3-4k range for URI with a healthy number of Rhody fans in attendance due to the short distance. It will not feel like a real road game as there will not be the normal home advantages for HC (venue familiarity/on campus/near capacity/nearly all fans rooting for home team/etc...).

Given how the game was designated differently by some last year, I am unsure how the official RPI will treat the location.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The official NCAA RPI page doesn't have Holy Cross playing a neutral site game this past season, so it will be counted as a road game for our RPI
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The official NCAA RPI page doesn't have Holy Cross playing a neutral site game this past season, so it will be counted as a road game for our RPI
Thank you
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It's a "road game" but I would be surprised if we don't have close to 50% of the fans there. Easy ride to Worcester for a lot of Rhody fans.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right, that is not in dispute by anyone. I'd be shocked if it weren't >50% Rhody fans. It's a pretty good way to put an OOC road game on the schedule, honestly - especially since Holy Cross is normally not terrible by OOC standards. All good teams put some filler on their schedules. I'd be fine if we kept a continuing 2-for-1 or something going with them.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Selfishly as someone who lives in the Boston area, I'd love to see games in this area once a year. Unfortunately, it seems like only Harvard is worth the RPI right now.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:Right, that is not in dispute by anyone. I'd be shocked if it weren't >50% Rhody fans. It's a pretty good way to put an OOC road game on the schedule, honestly - especially since Holy Cross is normally not terrible by OOC standards. All good teams put some filler on their schedules. I'd be fine if we kept a continuing 2-for-1 or something going with them.
Those of us of a certain age recall when a game against Holy Cross was a significant game ... not PC ... but big. Too bad that program was allowed to slide.
Last edited by Rhody74 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:Selfishly as someone who lives in the Boston area, I'd love to see games in this area once a year. Unfortunately, it seems like only Harvard is worth the RPI right now.
Northeastern had a better RPI than Harvard this past year and Northeastern, Harvard and Boston University all had better RPIs than Holy Cross. Plus there's still Boston College. It seems like moving on to a Boston school might be a better option than continuing with Holy Cross after this series if you can get the right deal.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe Jim Christian will want BC to play his old school?
It was fun to beat them three years in a row.

Northeastern has been a good team to schedule for us.
They've been pretty good for a while and we always beat them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would do BC 2-1. Two homes and 1 away. Otherwise, pass.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Uh, BC might not be very good right now, but they are an ACC school.

I would take a H/H........we're not getting a 2 for 1.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Uh, BC might not be very good right now, but they are an ACC school.

I think the 2 for 1 proposal was sarcasm relating to the fact that we gave them two such series deals (2005-2012) with them getting four home games to our two home games.

As an FYI - URI actually has a winning record at Conte Forum (3-2).
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Uh, BC might not be very good right now, but they are an ACC school.

I think the 2 for 1 proposal was sarcasm relating to the fact that we gave them two such series deals (2005-2012) with them getting four home games to our two home games.

As an FYI - URI actually has a winning record at Conte Forum (3-2).
I was at 2 of those wins. One being that awesome 1992 Overtime win in the NIT! I remember Jason Alexander hitting a 3 with about 8 seconds left in double overtime for the win!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would rather play Rutgers than BC.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Both make sense would be good to get a home and home with an ACC and Big 10 even though they are at the bottom right now
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:I would rather play Rutgers than BC.
That reminds me. I stumbled on the "Where have you seen URI play" thread from a couple of years ago yesterday. I did see Rhody play at Rutgers back in the mid 2000s. Which I don't think I put on my list in that thread. Pretty good old school gym.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think a series with a team like a Northwestern might be a reasonable expectation. Vanderbilt would be another possibility provided it is certain we will not meet them in the NIT Tip-off. We are not going to get games with the top teams in the P5 conferences.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:I would think a series with a team like a Northwestern might be a reasonable expectation. Vanderbilt would be another possibility provided it is certain we will not meet them in the NIT Tip-off. We are not going to get games with the top teams in the P5 conferences.
While most won't, it's worth the effort. We've had rare home and homes with top P5 schools in the past. Arizona in the 90s, Pittsburgh in the Baron era. Oklahoma State did as well, though not traditional. The two home games were close neutral sites.

Michigan gave BU a 2 for 1 around to coincide with Agganis Arena opening. I'd take a 2 for 1 with a top P5 like Michigan. Or get creative with close neutral sites if we have to. Also get creative with top teams from non P5s. Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Wichita State, Ill State, other Big East schools like Seton Hall or Xavier. If they become good again, maybe Temple. I don't want to hear "they would never play us." You don't know unless you try.

The A10 board suggested an AAC/A10 challenge. I'd love to see it!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mohegan would be the perfect neutral site in a series with a P5 team.
2 x
Go Rhody
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Rhody15 wrote:Mohegan would be the perfect neutral site in a series with a P5 team.
UConn at Mohegan would be awesome.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote: While most won't, it's worth the effort. We've had rare home and homes with top P5 schools in the past. Arizona in the 90s, Pittsburgh in the Baron era. Oklahoma State did as well, though not traditional. The two home games were close neutral sites.

Michigan gave BU a 2 for 1 around to coincide with Agganis Arena opening. I'd take a 2 for 1 with a top P5 like Michigan. Or get creative with close neutral sites if we have to. Also get creative with top teams from non P5s. Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Wichita State, Ill State, other Big East schools like Seton Hall or Xavier. If they become good again, maybe Temple. I don't want to hear "they would never play us." You don't know unless you try.

The A10 board suggested an AAC/A10 challenge. I'd love to see it!
This type of stuff comes up every year around the schedule discussion, so I am going to ask the same question I ask every time. In your opinion, is the only thing keeping us from getting those types of games on the schedule the fact that the staff/administration never thought to try?
5 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last year after the schedule came out, Mike Laprey came on here and said they contacted every single team in the top 125/150 about scheduling games.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Last year after the schedule came out, Mike Laprey came on here and said they contacted every single team in the top 125/150 about scheduling games.

Perhaps, scheduling Rhode Island will be an easier task given we finally made the tournament and actually won a game and should be decent again next season. Going to consecutive tourneys would help even more as VCU and Dayton seem better able to get name opponents.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Didn't know where to put this, but it was too good to not put somewhere.

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Didn't know where to put this, but it was too good to not put somewhere.

Doesn't make a bunch of sense, seeing how Hurley has yet to beat Cooley...
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You're over-thinking it. I just found it funny.
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Rhody74 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Right, that is not in dispute by anyone. I'd be shocked if it weren't >50% Rhody fans. It's a pretty good way to put an OOC road game on the schedule, honestly - especially since Holy Cross is normally not terrible by OOC standards. All good teams put some filler on their schedules. I'd be fine if we kept a continuing 2-for-1 or something going with them.
Those of us of a certain age recall when a game against Holy Cross was a significant game ... not PC ... but big. Too bad that program was allowed to slide.
Heh, my grandfather used to have a few drinks and tell me about the glory days of Holy Cross basketball when I was a kid 20+ years ago.

I worry if not for Hurley I think it's very possible in another 30-40yeaars I would be regaling the grandchildren with stories about the days when URI not only got into the NCAA tournament, but won games and even made it more often than not!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting that PC just scheduled Houston from the AAC to a neutral site game at the Mohegan Sun for Wednesday December 20th. Not sure if a return game at Houston is part of the deal, but not likely the case.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:Interesting that PC just scheduled Houston from the AAC to a neutral site game at the Mohegan Sun for Wednesday December 20th. Not sure if a return game at Houston is part of the deal, but not likely the case.
It will be part of a double header, with the other two teams TBA.

Would LOVE us vs a P5 team as the other game. Would be a great day of RI college hoops.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:
ramster wrote:Interesting that PC just scheduled Houston from the AAC to a neutral site game at the Mohegan Sun for Wednesday December 20th. Not sure if a return game at Houston is part of the deal, but not likely the case.

Would LOVE us vs a P5 team as the other game. Would be a great day of RI college hoops.
The teams have played some doubleheaders in Providence previously. I believed it happened in the ECAC New England Tournament in 1978 (semis) and the 1996 NIT (URI played Charleston and PC played St Joes).
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I was just a kid, but I remember URI vs Michigan and PC vs Texas doubleheader in the opening night of a tournament in Providence. We lost to Michigan in a hard fought game, the next night PC beat them. I think Michigan was ranked #1 at the time.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reckless jake wrote:I was just a kid, but I remember URI vs Michigan and PC vs Texas doubleheader in the opening night of a tournament in Providence. We lost to Michigan in a hard fought game, the next night PC beat them. I think Michigan was ranked #1 at the time.

InBank Holiday Classic in 1976? (Named for Industrial National Bank which later became Fleet)
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:

The teams have played some doubleheaders in Providence previously. I believed it happened in the ECAC New England Tournament in 1978 (semis) and the 1996 NIT (URI played Charleston and PC played St Joes).
I remember the night of the NIT doubleheader. We beat Charleston (in OT?) and that hideous, disgusting institution inhabiting a former mental hospital, offended that they didn't make the NCAA, proved their point by . . . rolling over and playing dead for Young Frankenstein. A grand and glorious night!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I was there too. We almost blew that game, but held on......then we were supposed to get a home game for the next round, and got screwed over by the NIT committee and had to go to Utah, where we lost a close game...

Should have made the NIT FF that year.
0 x