2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody15 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
SGreenwell wrote: They're probably in the same situation URI and some other mid-majors are with scheduling, but worse. Olean in the late fall and winter probably isn't a glorious sell from a logistics standpoint either.
For the love, URI is not a mid-major. We are closer to a high major than a mid major so let's stop this nonsense.

We're as mid major as they come....

Let's not get crazy here.
Than what would you classify MAC or America East schools for example?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It's a semantics argument and just defends on your definition. If you think college sports are the P5 and everyone else is a mid-major, then yes URI is a mid-major. I think that's an overly broad and not particularly helpful way to distinguish who is who in college sports, and therefore I don't think it makes sense to classify A-10, Big East, American and Mountain West teams as mid-majors. I don't care what you call them, but it's clearly an additional tier to the P5/mid-major way of looking at it.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:It's a semantics argument and just defends on your definition. If you think college sports are the P5 and everyone else is a mid-major, then yes URI is a mid-major. I think that's an overly broad and not particularly helpful way to distinguish who is who in college sports, and therefore I don't think it makes sense to classify A-10, Big East, American and Mountain West teams as mid-majors. I don't care what you call them, but it's clearly an additional tier to the P5/mid-major way of looking at it.
I would 100% agree with this assessment
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I guess I differ than you TP, since I consider a mid-major any conference that usually in an average season would have 2-4 bids. I would consider a low-major a conference that usually has 1 bid, and a major conference usually more than 4.

I think P5 is a poor designation as it pertains to basketball, it's really a football term that carries over to basketball because the P5 conferences were always considered major-conference basketball teams.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I guess I differ than you TP, since I consider a mid-major any conference that usually in an average season would have 2-4 bids. I would consider a low-major a conference that usually has 1 bid, and a major conference usually more than 4.

I think P5 is a poor designation as it pertains to basketball, it's really a football term that carries over to basketball because the P5 conferences were always considered major-conference basketball teams.
2-4 bids is a mid-major? So only the Big East, A-10, American conferences are mid-majors? That doesn't make any sense. There are usually only 8-10 multi bid conferences within any given year so you consider 24-26 conf low majors?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

In my opinion if the school has a football team that can be invited to a bowl game....especially the ones that lead to the national championship bowl games...that school is in a major conference.....

All other schools are in mid-major conferences.....I look to the money generated and distributed to those schools by those conferences as to the difference between major and all others..

Even the big east...the best mid-major in terms of money and good teams....pales in comparison to the money in the major conferences...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Big East got 7/10 teams in this year...

Can we please stop saying the Big East in a mid major? It's getting laughable.
0 x
Go Rhody
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:The Big East got 7/10 teams in this year...

Can we please stop saying the Big East in a mid major? It's getting laughable.
A-10 had 6 teams in a year after they sent 5 teams and yet some people still refer to them as mid-major so stop acting like it's so outlandish.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

CT Rhody wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:I guess I differ than you TP, since I consider a mid-major any conference that usually in an average season would have 2-4 bids. I would consider a low-major a conference that usually has 1 bid, and a major conference usually more than 4.

2-4 bids is a mid-major? So only the Big East, A-10, American conferences are mid-majors? That doesn't make any sense. There are usually only 8-10 multi bid conferences within any given year so you consider 24-26 conf low majors?
For simplicity sake, yes. Obviously the MAC is better than the SWAC, but they are both consistently 1 bid conferences. So is the MAC a mid-major because their average team is less crappy than the average SWAC team? Both conferences still require a conference tournament winner to get the lone bid to my recollection.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Vanderbilt released their schedule and has Austin Peay and UNC Asheville as their NIT home games.

Seton Hall had previously announced their game with Monmouth.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So it's:
Rhode Island
Seton Hall
Vanderbilt
Virginia

Monmouth
Austin Peay
UNC Asheville
And one more to be named? Is that right?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

GoRhody
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am nervous about this other NIT Tip-Off game opponent which is still as yet undetermined. It could end up being a non D1 school. We now know Vanderbilt will not play this team. With URI playing UNC-A and SHU playing Monmouth, we now know Virginia will play one of its two games versus this mystery team. Either SHU or URI will also play them as one of their two home games.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No reason to be nervous about that.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:No reason to be nervous about that.

Are you saying this because you know some confidential info about who this opponent may be?

My fear about a non D1 team goes back to the NIT Tip-off filling its field that way several times in the past including the year URI had to play Metro State. Given that this still to be named team will apparently have to play Virginia, I have some hope that it will not be a non d1 school as I doubt UVa would consent to playing such an opponent.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wouldn't say it's optimal if it comes to pass, but no one on the committee would fault URI if we were to play a division 2 school as part of a tournament like this and unlike playing a bad division 1 team it would have no effect on our RPI.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I wouldn't say it's optimal if it comes to pass, but no one on the committee would fault URI if we were to play a division 2 school as part of a tournament like this and unlike playing a bad division 1 team it would have no effect on our RPI.

It would however be one less win for RPI purposes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That is preferable than a very low RPI home win.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ace wrote:No reason to be nervous about that.

Are you saying this because you know some confidential info about who this opponent may be?

My fear about a non D1 team goes back to the NIT Tip-off filling its field that way several times in the past including the year URI had to play Metro State. Given that this still to be named team will apparently have to play Virginia, I have some hope that it will not be a non d1 school as I doubt UVa would consent to playing such an opponent.
I wouldn't be worried about getting a D2 school. Looking at 2015 and 2016 all schools were D1
Seems many D1 schools would love to get 2 games on their schedule against the likes of Virginia, Vanderbilt, URI and Seton Hall. Plus games against Monmouth and UNC Ashville represent Top 100 RPI Games.
We should know in the next week or so based on timing of last years announcement

2017 Selections with end of season RPI:
Virginia ACC - 18
Vanderbilt SEC - 38
URI A10 - 31
Seton Hall BE - 44

Monmouth - 49
UNC Ashville - 73
Austin Peay - 261
TBA (last Year Field was announced on July 27th

2016 Selections:
West Virginia
Temple
Florida State
Illinois

Detroit
Manhattan
New Hampshire
Winthrop

2015 Selections
Georgia Tech
Villanova
Arkansas
Stanford

Akron
Charleston Southern
East Tennessee State
Green Bay
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dayton's OOC (they replaced the tweet where the State in Ball State was misspelled)

Also, Indiana and Arizona agreed to play 3 games starting in the 19-20 season. Nice of Arizona to give Archie a few years to get his program together before playing. And no, ASU and Rhode Island won't be scheduling each other.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A couple of schedule notes:

When Vanderbilt announced their non-conference schedule they confirmed that the Brooklyn NIT games will be Thanksgiving 11/23 and 11/24
The College of Charleston announced their non-conference schedule yesterday and our game against them will be Saturday 12/16
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'd like to think we'll have the crowd behind us for the Friday game in Brooklyn. Seton Hall should have the largest fan contingent, and between the Hurley connection and wanting us to do well for RPI purposes you'd have to think they'll be pulling for us. Hopefully we have the second largest fan group between alumni that live in the NYC area and fans that can make the day trip down there.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seton Hall of the A-10?

Vanderbilt Athletics put out their OOC Schedule press release and listed the Pirates as being in the A-10. This is what it had (before any edits):

Seton Hall (Possible Opponent in NIT Season Tip-Off)
Date: November 23-24
All-Time Series Record: Vanderbilt leads, 1-0.
Last meeting: Vanderbilt won the only meeting between the two schools, 85-67, on December 22, 1967, at Memorial Gym.
2016-17 Record: 21-12, 10-8 in Atlantic 10, NCAA Tournament First Round
Notes on Seton Hall: The Commodores and Pirates have only met one time prior to this season in 1967 at Memorial Gym…The Pirates return all four of their leading scorers from 2016-17 - Khadeen Carrington (17.1 ppg), Desi Rodriguez (15.7), Angel Delgado (15.2), and Myles Powell (10.7). Carrington is from Brooklyn.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-ba ... 17aaa.html
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

UGH.... I didn't want to play Seton Hall until the finals.... If we start four guards Delgado will eat us alive. He probably will regardless. It's going to be tough to pull out a W but we can do it!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ok, now that it's finalized, I think the match-ups are weird. If you go with 1-4, 2-3, Rhode Island would likely play Virginia. Instead, they get the second game in 6 seasons against the Hall. Fairleigh Dickinson is the fourth team of the "others."
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:Ok, now that it's finalized, I think the match-ups are weird. If you go with 1-4, 2-3, Rhode Island would likely play Virginia. Instead, they get the second game in 6 seasons against the Hall. Fairleigh Dickinson is the fourth team of the "others."

If URI is hosting UNC-Asheville as someone reported above here, does that make FDU the other home opponent or will it be Monmouth or Austin Peay?

NIT Tip-off Field
Barclays
Rhode Island
Seton Hall
Vanderbilt
Virgina

Non-Barclays
Monmouth (SH)
FDU
Austin Peay (Van)
UNC-Asheville (Van/URI)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Love the Seton Hall matchup. ESPN def wanted that for ratings and promotions.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Total guess, but I'd imagine Austin Peay will get Virginia for travel purposes. So either Monmouth or FDU. Honestly I'm surprised we'd get UNC Asheville just looking at the geography of the schools involved
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Anybody know how many games they have left to fill? I hope they don't leave a game open like they did last year. It would be nice to grab another road game as part of a home and home with a P5 school. With road games finally being valued appropriately by the committee, they should schedule at least two in OOC play. Especially if they are home and homes against P5's since that helps the home schedule as well.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ugh if that tournament starts on Thanksgiving day...was hoping for Friday and Saturday games.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yes! That's the tournament lineup I wanted.
Langevine better be ready to fight for his life against Delgado.
Id love to see the matchup between our defense and UVA's.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome matchup can't wait
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:Ugh if that tournament starts on Thanksgiving day...was hoping for Friday and Saturday games.
Do we have an idea on the time? I need time to prepare to tell an Italian family I won't be doing a holiday with them.

EDIT:

Will be later in the day on Turkey day, we'll have start times confirmed in the coming weeks.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Seen the schedule and it's Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I read that we are playing on Thanksgiving at 6:30.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KevanBoyles wrote:Seen the schedule and it's Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.
You might be looking at the wrong schedule. 23rd is our first game.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Thanks Blue Man. I was wrong. I had looked at the Event site couple of months ago and I thought it said Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. I checked again just now and I was wrong. It's the 23rd and 24 November Thursday and Friday.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Awesome, I'll be eating turkey and shouting at the TV :)
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Finished tied for first in Big South. Lost in first round of CIT. Top three scorers return. Another quality opponent.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote:I read that we are playing on Thanksgiving at 6:30.
Ughhhh whyyy not Friday.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU has a very good schedule. Will host Virginia and Texas (comp for Smart's departure), play at Seton Hall, and meet Marquette and Cal/Wichita State out in Hawaii.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Smart schedule too: one true road game.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Regardless where those games are played I see a lot of L's on that schedule based on their returning roster.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Road games are valued appropriately now so I think 2-3 road games are most appropriate to maximize your OOC value slash SOS.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Regardless where those games are played I see a lot of L's on that schedule based on their returning roster.
The roster that's predicted to finish first in A10?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Why doesn't URI have an internal scrimmage like VCU has? Hell we have 13 guys on full rides and walk ons available to play.
1 x