2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:Let's hope it's against FDU....obviously.

Still no word on the last 2 games to be scheduled.
Last year FDU had an RPI of 273 and are certainly not a team that will draw at the box office. We might be better with the D2 team and not getting the RPI hit.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Also, there's an additional unbracketed team in the NIT Tipoff. The Oakland City Mighty Oaks, a division 2 school from Indiana, are also taking part. No word on who they're playing other than Austin Peay and UNC Asheville so they may just be part of this to fill out home games for the other unbracketed schools. So with getting UNC Asheville and Austin Peay and Monmouth already scheduled for two games against bracketed schools it appears our other NIT Tipoff game will be against Fairleigh Dickenson or Oakland City.

I thought there were eight teams in the NIT Tip-Off Tournament. Oakland City would make it nine. How can that be? Are there teams that will not play the full four games?
There were 8 teams last year, so it's strange that Oakland City is in it this year but it appears so. Austin Peay has played Oakland City last year winning by 40 points and 4 of the past 5 years. There were no D2 teams last year or the year before in the Tip Off NIT.
Should be for this year 8 Division 1 Teams:
Rhode Island
Virginia
Seton Hall
Vanderbilt

UNC Ashville
FDU
Austin Peay
Monmouth

Plus it appears Oakland City
http://letsgopeay.com/news/2017/7/26/me ... obile=skip
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Spoke to Thorr briefly on Saturday morning and he said they are still working on 1 or 2 more games. He wouldn't let any of the leads he has slip but he said there are some decent opportunities.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody Guy wrote:Spoke to Thorr briefly on Saturday morning and he said they are still working on 1 or 2 more games. He wouldn't let any of the leads he has slip but he said there are some decent opportunities.
At the Evening with Dan Hurley event in Boston a few months back, Thorr mentioned trying to get a game at Nassau Colliseum (now run by Barclay's) vs. "an opponent fans would love." He wouldn't go further than that. I wonder if one of these games is this.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

FDU released their schedule. They are not playing URI and do not appear to be in the NIT Tip-Off Tournament per the schedule. They are playing Seton Hall but that game does not look to be part of a tournament as had been assumed. This means that a tourney opponent for both SHU and URI is not yet public. Could D2 Oakland City be that team?

FDU schedule link
http://www.fduknights.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote:FDU released their schedule. They are not playing URI and do not appear to be in the NIT Tip-Off Tournament per the schedule. They are playing Seton Hall but that game does not look to be part of a tournament as had been assumed. This means that a tourney opponent for both SHU and URI is not yet public. Could D2 Oakland City be that team?

FDU schedule link
Yuck
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oakland City may be a better team than FDU so it may not matter in the long run
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

reef wrote:Oakland City may be a better team than FDU so it may not matter in the long run
If FDU is D1 then the game would have counted vs playing a D2 school where is doesn't count as a win, right?
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yep....as of right now we have 28 games that will count.....definitely need 2 more if Oakland City is scheduled.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OK - I am very confused. Seton Hall just released their OOC schedule and they list their home game vs FDU as being part of the NIT Tip-Off Tournament. FDU released their OOC schedule the other day with Seton Hall on it but no mention of the NIT Tip-Off and no other games vs known tournament participants. Monmouth listed their OOC schedule and list only three NIT Tip-Off games versus Seton Hall, Virginia and UNC Asheville. The Austin Peay OOC schedule lists four NIT Tip-Off games versus UVA, Vanderbilt, UNC-Asheville, and Oakland City. I don't know what to think at this point. The games are just three months away and the tourney has not publicly listed ALL the match-ups. I fear non D1 Oakland City may actually be coming to the Ryan Center. My guess is that they only have three games because SHU refused to play them and FDU was substituted for one game. This would make some sense as FDU has no other NIT games.

SHU OOC
http://www.shupirates.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

FDU OOC

Monmouth OOC
http://monmouthhawks.com/news/2017/8/10 ... slate.aspx

Austin Peay OOC
http://www.apsugovernors.com/news/2017/ ... p-off.aspx
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

With the Neveda road game being added this year, how many games are we short from the max now?

Also interesting to note, we potentially already have three road games set up for next year with PC, Brown, and Holy Cross all being on the schedule. Tough to add anymore above that.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:With the Neveda road game being added this year, how many games are we short from the max now?

Also interesting to note, we potentially already have three road games set up for next year with PC, Brown, and Holy Cross all being on the schedule. Tough to add anymore above that.

The maximum number of allowed games when participating in a four game exempt tournament is 31. URI will play 18 A-10 league games which then allows for up to 13 OOC games. If the Nevada games is a go, that would leave one game remaining that could be scheduled. The only other open question is who the other NIT Tip-Off home opponent will be. It would seem the most likely team may be non D1 Oakland City which has been reported to be playing in the event.

TWELVE LIKELY OOC GAMES
UNC Asheville (preseason NIT) Saturday 11/11
Brown Tuesday 11/28
Providence Saturday 12/2
College of Charleston Saturday 12/16
Iona Thursday 12/21
Florida Gulf Coast Wednesday 12/27
Holy Cross
Preseason NIT (likely non D1 Oakland City)
@Alabama Wednesday 12/6
@Nevada
vsSeton Hall
vs UVa/Vanderbilt
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

We should use the full allotment, I 100% trust the staff to do the right thing but I can't imagine many good reasons not to fill out the entire schedule. A third road game wouldn't be the worse idea either as part of a home and home with the new valuation road games receive from the NCAA and our potential 3 road games already locked up for next year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:We should use the full allotment, I 100% trust the staff to do the right thing but I can't imagine many good reasons not to fill out the entire schedule. A third road game wouldn't be the worse idea either as part of a home and home with the new valuation road games receive from the NCAA and our potential 3 road games already locked up for next year.

URI probably really needs to schedule the full allotment of games if one of the NIT Tip-Off home games is versus the non D1 opponent Oakland City. Such a game would not count in the RPI nor as a win for NCAA Tournament selection consideration.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It's true that a game against a non-D1 opponent wouldn't count for RPI, but that's actually a good thing if the alternative would be playing a terrible D1 team. Those games are a drag on your RPI even if you win the game by 50 points. I'm all for filling up the schedule if there is an opponent available for a date that makes sense that will not be a huge RPI hit just for stepping onto the court. Otherwise, I'll pass and be content with one game shy of the max.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:It's true that a game against a non-D1 opponent wouldn't count for RPI, but that's actually a good thing if the alternative would be playing a terrible D1 team. Those games are a drag on your RPI even if you win the game by 50 points. I'm all for filling up the schedule if there is an opponent available for a date that makes sense that will not be a huge RPI hit just for stepping onto the court. Otherwise, I'll pass and be content with one game shy of the max.

I get your RPI point about it not counting. URI's record for NCAA consideration will however not include this game and assuming it will be a victory show one less win. Having less wins can hurt.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right, but raw win total is more or less balanced out by looking at SOS. The selection process is so nuanced now that a win against a 300+ RPI team is really not going to help you too much in terms of blowing the committee away with your win total. Those wins are likely to be taken right off the top at the outset of them looking at your profile.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For RPI, it's important for URI to play the approved 31 games against D-1 opponents. Last year we fell short of that goal by playing only 30 games. If we again play 30 games, but one is a D2 team, then the RPI total is 29. That is not good and hurts us on Selection Sunday. While there is much to be pleased about the OOC schedule, URI scheduling continues to disappoint.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That is also correct - playing a schedule that has less than the max games and also includes a game against a non-D1 opponent would be disappointing and sub-optimal. However, my point was that, assuming 30 D1 opponents are on the schedule, I would prefer to play the 31st game against a non-D1 team than against a terrible D1 team, because the terrible D1 team hurts your RPI and SOS whereas a non-D1 team has no impact.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would always prefer that URI play zero non D1 opponents. These games don't really count per the NCAA and I personally have little interest attending such games. They are basically exhibition games with their main purpose being increased season ticket revenue (little chance that they will generate much single game sales). If URI plays Oakland City this year, that is definitely not a game I will make an effort to attend.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You can hardly blame the D2 opponent, Oakland City, on URI Scheduling. To get in the Tournament to play the likes of Seton Hall, Virginia and Vanderbilt you have to take what comes with the other 4 teams. When URI accepted to play in this, or Virginia, Seton Hall or Vanderbilt for that matter, then did not know the other 4 teams would be Monmouth, UNC Ashville, Austin Peay or FDU - now Oakland City. I suppose they could have refused to play but then that spot would happily be grabbed up by another probably P5 Team. Just the way these Tournaments work.

The area that is open for discussion is the leaving of one game off the schedule as was done last year. Seems you would want to play the max possible games but the problem is trying to fit all of the OOC games in between November 11 and the end of the year - prior to Conference Play. Would be a good question for a future meeting or call with the team management................why would we not play the max possible games?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:You can hardly blame the D2 opponent, Oakland City, on URI Scheduling. To get in the Tournament to play the likes of Seton Hall, Virginia and Vanderbilt you have to take what comes with the other 4 teams. When URI accepted to play in this, or Virginia, Seton Hall or Vanderbilt for that matter, then did not know the other 4 teams would be Monmouth, UNC Ashville, Austin Peay or FDU - now Oakland City. I suppose they could have refused to play but then that spot would happily be grabbed up by another probably P5 Team. Just the way these Tournaments work.

The area that is open for discussion is the leaving of one game off the schedule as was done last year. Seems you would want to play the max possible games but the problem is trying to fit all of the OOC games in between November 11 and the end of the year - prior to Conference Play. Would be a good question for a future meeting or call with the team management................why would we not play the max possible games?

Seton Hall and Vanderbilt will definitely not play a D1 opponent in this tourney (my guess is Virginia will ultimately be the same). In fact it looks like FDU's game vs SHU was solely created just to make certain the Pirates didn't play a non D1 school in the tourney. FDU plays no other games in this tournament per their schedule.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

BTW, when URI played in the NIT Season Tip off in 2013, the two campus games were UNC-Asheville and McNeese State and both games were not included in the season ticket base. As a consequence, both games drew flies. Will that be the case in this year's tournament or have things changed?
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I wouldn't want to play us early in the season next year. Guards that are big and experienced and deep with serviceable big men. Very experienced team.

If I was from a P5 conference my answer would be thanks but no thanks.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Obadiah wrote:BTW, when URI played in the NIT Season Tip off in 2013, the two campus games were UNC-Asheville and McNeese State and both games were not included in the season ticket base. As a consequence, both games drew flies. Will that be the case in this year's tournament or have things changed?
I don't think the tournament allows the games to be included as season tickets since technically the NIT, not URI, is selling them.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:BTW, when URI played in the NIT Season Tip off in 2013, the two campus games were UNC-Asheville and McNeese State and both games were not included in the season ticket base. As a consequence, both games drew flies. Will that be the case in this year's tournament or have things changed?
They should be part of the season ticket package. They weren't included in 2013 because if we beat Arizona we would have gone to Madison Square Garden for the final two games instead of having the two at home. This year we're guaranteed those games will take place so they should be in the package.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:You can hardly blame the D2 opponent, Oakland City, on URI Scheduling. To get in the Tournament to play the likes of Seton Hall, Virginia and Vanderbilt you have to take what comes with the other 4 teams. When URI accepted to play in this, or Virginia, Seton Hall or Vanderbilt for that matter, then did not know the other 4 teams would be Monmouth, UNC Ashville, Austin Peay or FDU - now Oakland City. I suppose they could have refused to play but then that spot would happily be grabbed up by another probably P5 Team. Just the way these Tournaments work.

Seton Hall and Vanderbilt will definitely not play a D1 opponent in this tourney (my guess is Virginia will ultimately be the same). In fact it looks like FDU's game vs SHU was solely created just to make certain the Pirates didn't play a non D1 school in the tourney. FDU plays no other games in this tournament per their schedule.
I get it but what is your solution? Should URI have rejected the invitation to this Tournament? I don't think we have a choice who the NIT decides to pair us with. My guess is Seton Hall, Virginia and Vanderbilt all have more currency with the NIT Committee than we do. I don't like it but that's most likely the truth.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
I'd say my source is pretty reliable. I was told Nov. 13th the day before it was posted on this board.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hopefully they can move the season opener up a day to give an extra travel day.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I don't think we will have much of a problem with them.
Their offense is chuck up a bunch of threes...
At least that's what they did against Iowa State in the tournament game I saw and it was not very impressive...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

12 OOC Games to date:

UNC Asheville (preseason NIT) - Saturday 11/11
@ Nevada - Monday 11/13
NYC Seton Hall - Thursday 11/23
NYC Virginia/Vanderbilt - Friday 11/24
Brown - Tuesday 11/28
Providence - Saturday 12/2
@ Alabama - Wednesday 12/6
College of Charleston - Saturday 12/16
Iona - Thursday 12/21
Florida Gulf Coast - Wednesday 12/27

Oakland City (preseason NIT)
Holy Cross
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Is the Oakland City game confirmed yet? Or is that something that we are assuming at this point? I don't recall seeing any confirmation about that game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shaolin Swat wrote:Is the Oakland City game confirmed yet? Or is that something that we are assuming at this point? I don't recall seeing any confirmation about that game.
no official announcement yet - so not confirmed
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Both Cody and Caleb Martin will be eligible to play for Nevada vs URI since they transferred from NC State and sat out their year. Both were ESPN Top 100 Players.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/sports/Ne ... 70231.html
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote:
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Both Cody and Caleb Martin will be eligible to play for Nevada vs URI since they transferred from NC State and sat out their year. Both were ESPN Top 100 Players.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/sports/Ne ... 70231.html
Oh yeah I remember watching those guys. They can play. Nevada is going to be a little tougher than I thought.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Just a thought, but it would be great if this game is part of the ESPN 24-hour College Basketball Tip-Off Marathon.

Last year ESPN televised games beginning on Monday, November 14th and all night through Tuesday night, November 15th.

The game will be a would be a good intersectional match-up to help kick-off the college basketball season and it would be great for recruiting to be on national tv.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it is kind of cool to be involved with that as long as the game isn't played at an absurd time, which is a risk with the marathon.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

TruePoint wrote:Yeah, it is kind of cool to be involved with that as long as the game isn't played at an absurd time, which is a risk with the marathon.
Usually the really, really absurd tip off times --like 2 am and 4 am EST-- are games from Hawaii, followed by a 6 am early-riser start from a school in the MAAC.

Anyway, it would be great exposure to be part of the Tip Off Marathon
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If we were in the marathon it would probably be in the midnight time slot.
Last year the blue bloods played during the 7:00 and 9:30 time slots.
San Diego state and gonzaga played at midnight last year.
Now if we did play at midnight that would be on the 14th...
Unless they change the date to the 14th I feel like we will just have a regular night game on the 13th.
Hopefully on espnu or cbssports or something like that.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

PeterRamTime wrote:If we were in the marathon it would probably be in the midnight time slot.
Unless they change the date to the 14th I feel like we will just have a regular night game on the 13th.

I believe the Monday night 10 pm game last year was Princeton at BYU. The 2 earlier Monday night games were both girls' games at 6 and 8:30 pm. The "blue bloods" played on Tuesday night.

Hey, anything is possible.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reckless jake wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:If we were in the marathon it would probably be in the midnight time slot.

I believe the Monday night 10 pm game last year was Princeton at BYU. The 2 earlier Monday night games were both girls' games at 6 and 8:30 pm. The "blue bloods" played on Tuesday night.

Hey, anything is possible.
Yep you're right. I misread it. Damn it...
Well then I'd be surprised if we aren't on that 10 o'clock time slot then.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Speaking of Nevada, would love to see UNLV on Rhody's schedule at some point. A Vegas trip in conjunction with a Rhody basketball game would be great.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Heck yeah Rhody at Unlv would be awesome and great exposure

Good thinking on URI v Reno being part of the tip off marathon nice intersectional matchup

Also we should beat Reno not going to be easy but a win
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Holy Cross has released its schedule:

Sun, Nov 19
at Rhode Island Kingston, R.I. 1:00 p.m.

http://www.goholycross.com/SportSelect. ... SID=917386
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You never want to go head to head with NFL games, but at least they're not head to head with the Patriots. They play at 4:25 that afternoon at the Raiders.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote:Holy Cross has released its schedule:

Sun, Nov 19

Interesting that they're playing a tournament in Belfast :o :o :o
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:Holy Cross has released its schedule:

Sun, Nov 19

Grrrr.....Giants/Chiefs at 1. Oh well...s/b home for the 4th quarter.
0 x