2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The game is important as a chance for a top 50 win OOC....we don't get many chances for those and maybe we will have NO chances to get any in conference.

As we know the "new metrics" of selecting at larges are going to focus even more on top 50 wins.

So whether it's PC or not, it's an important game for us.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LOL people are still saying it's not a rivalry?

Of course it is.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:LOL people are still saying it's not a rivalry?

Of course it is.
Agreed. How big a rivalry is up for debate, but it would be nice to beat them once in a while.

I think if you ask Dan he would agree.

For many years you never knew who was going to win....no matter who was perceived to be better going in.....but for the last 7 years we've lost whether or not we were "supposed" to....that element of excitement and uncertainty has been lost....and we need to regain it.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This is a little unfair. How many times in the last seven years did they have a better team and we almost pulled off the upset. Hell two years ago when Matthews was hurt and they had a lottery pick we would have won if the ref would have correctly called a foul on their game winner. And each of the last four years it's come down to the final possession. So you can't say the excitement and uncertainty isn't there.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, RR2, but the bottom line is winning......it's time to change the "almost but not quite"........

Right after the second Dayton game last season, how many of us would have had confidence in us winning the close ones?

It seems that maybe Dan has started to turn the corner now.....let's keep it going this season and beyond.

The big OOC games next season are huge.....can not afford a repeat of last season's OOC...except Cincy of course.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC will be solid this year so if we end the streak that will be awesome
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:LOL people are still saying it's not a rivalry?

Of course it is.
http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /151209800
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

That is a great opportunity for PC to get the student body really engaged in hoops. Should create huge buzz on campus.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Winning in the non-conference is obviously important. Beating PC obviously important. It isn't an Either/Or transaction idk why ppl act like it is.

Best team in the NIT of the 4 is Seton Hall? Best team is URI. Rhode Island Born ! I eat Rhode Island bread! And when I retire Ill move to Florida Instead! GO RHODY!!!
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Winning in the non-conference is obviously important. Beating PC obviously important. It isn't an Either/Or transaction idk why ppl act like it is.

Best team in the NIT of the 4 is Seton Hall? Best team is URI. Rhode Island Born ! I eat Rhode Island bread! And when I retire Ill move to Florida Instead! GO RHODY!!!
This is so accurate it hurts.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramster, Kyrie said the earth is flat, so is it flat? No.

Cooley said it's not a rivalry game, so it's not a rivalry?

It's stupid to think it's not a rivalry, of course it is.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:Ramster, Kyrie said the earth is flat, so is it flat? No.

Cooley said it's not a rivalry game, so it's not a rivalry?

It's stupid to think it's not a rivalry, of course it is.
No,
It's simply his stated opinion.
Just as some think this is by far the most important game in the schedule year in and year out.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I hate PC. Anyone that views this is as just one game is wrong. The amount of pain we have endured and shitty losses the past 7 years makes this next one so important. Our senior class at home can't lose this game. If we do this streak may reach double digits. I'm sick of losing.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't know of anyone who thinks it's just one game. The degree of its importance varies for sure, no doubt.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I think it's funny PC offered mini packages that could either have the Villanova game or the URI game as the headliner last year.

Yea URI doesn't matter to PC. They hold the ticket hostage like we are Villanova or something.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote:I hate PC. Anyone that views this is as just one game is wrong. The amount of pain we have endured and shitty losses the past 7 years makes this next one so important. Our senior class at home can't lose this game. If we do this streak may reach double digits. I'm sick of losing.
If EC, JT, JG, Berry, and Stan can't deliver a PC victory AT HOME in their senior years, then that will be a fairly significant failure.
Even if we went to the final four people would still be like, "yeah but they still couldn't beat PC!"

I think it's maybe more important to beat them than some are making it out to be.
It's looking like both URI and PC will remain good for a while so, if we never beat them we won't get the respect we want from the rest of the state.
Won't be able to expand our fan base to the fringe people.

If we don't beat them this year, we in all likelihood won't beat them next year, so then the streak is right on the cusp of 10 years.... don't wanna be in that territory.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: Even if we went to the final four people would still be like, "yeah but they still couldn't beat PC!"
Well those people would be kinda dumb then.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If we end up in that territory we end up in that territory.
The 7 straight then will be 8 straight, then 9 straight and then call for Hurley's head because he can't beat PC.The freshmen and sophomores won't know what the big deal is because they were 10 years old when the streak started and the KeaneyBlue board will be melting down. Then the Projo Writer will use the 9 straight to take shots at URI fans even in May like he just did, why not take advantage of the favorite "7 straight" line to piss off URI fans and stir the pot.

If we lose 8 straight we lose 8 straight. Life is too short. If this season showed anything with the humongous Baron 2.0 thread and the gloom and doom through mid to late February is that we should not give up hope. Criticize sure, but this team and coaching staff were nothing short of amazing from mid February through mid March.
It Used to be losing to PC would kill me, but this season showed me that it's only another game on the OOC schedule. An important game but not the life or death game that I used to see it as. We play in different conferences. With Baron we never went to the NCAA, so the PC game sometimes played a bigger role than today when its looking more clear that DH is building something we can be proud of. Most would not have agreed with this in mid February, some still might not, but what a difference a winning streak in late February, a Conference Tournament Championship and an NCAA tournament appearance and victory over a 6th seeded Big East team can make. It locked that Baron 2.0 thread up tighter than - fill in the blank
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hasn't it been said that revenue is now the most important thing to help get this program to the next level? Do you know how important beating PC is in creating revenue? More local publicity. More ticket sales to games for the rest of the season. More Rhody gear sold, etc., etc., etc. If creating more revenue DURING the season is important, beating PC early in the schedule is HUGE, in my opinion. But then, it's just another game...keep telling yourself that.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PC is not "just another game."

How the hell can you think that? Just cus we made one NCAA tourney we're not at that level to go, "oh it's only PC, I don't care about that game anymore."

You really sound like a hardass, for whatever reason.

If there was such thing as the "Kingston Journal" and we had beaten PC 7 straight times you bet your ass writers at that paper would be mentioning it as often as they could.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Listen, I'm as happy as anyone here that we did what we did late last season right up until the last minute of the Oregon game.

But that doesn't mean that we or the program can just sit back and expect more and more great things to happen just because.....

Dan and co. have a lot more to prove than that. Do we want what happened last season to be just a flash in the pan?

There is a LOT more that is needed to put this program on the level of even a VCU or Dayton......

Did the staff get what they really wanted to fill the hole in the frontcourt for next season? Not sure about that.

What about recruiting for 2018? Yeah we've offered a shitload of prospects, but we're still waiting for results, any results.

Nothing is set in stone. this program isn't going to become a super powerhouse all by itself, or overnight for that matter.

There's a ton of work yet to do....and most of it hasn't been done yet. So yeah, again I'm happy about last year, but the future is no slam dunk when it comes to Rhody BB.

We can be as optimistic as possible...and I still am....but we'll see.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Hasn't it been said that revenue is now the most important thing to help get this program to the next level? Do you know how important beating PC is in creating revenue? More local publicity. More ticket sales to games for the rest of the season. More Rhody gear sold, etc., etc., etc. If creating more revenue DURING the season is important, beating PC early in the schedule is HUGE, in my opinion. But then, it's just another game...keep telling yourself that.
No doubt in my mind losing that game in December cost us thousands and thousands of butts in the seats.

Lotta casual fans where I am here right near campus and the Rhody balloon popped here huge after that game and stayed popped for a while.

You are a resident of fantasy island if you think differently. Winning vs Providence is a huge deal for making $$$

HUGE
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The thread seemed to work well for this coming year, so let's do it again. Unfortunately with most of our series ending, we don't have a whole lot to go on so far, but here's what we do have.

Home
Saturday, 12/2 Providence
Brown - hat tip to Obadiah who had it early that we'd play them again at home
Preseason NIT
Preseason NIT

Away
Holy Cross at the DCU Center
Alabama

Neutral at Barclays Center Thanksgiving week
Preseason NIT (Virginia, Vanderbilt, or Seton Hall)
Preseason NIT (Virginia, Vanderbilt, or Seton Hall)

8/7-16 trip to London and Paris
11/10 start of regular season
Saturday 12/2 vs. Providence
Wednesday 3/7 to Sunday 3/11 Atlantic 10 tournament at Verizon Center, Washington DC

RR2,
When do we find out which teams we play in the Regular Season for the A10? Is that already known based on where the teams finished this past year? or is this determined later by the League Office? What decides whether we play Dayton twice, VCU twice, etc?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely a rivalry game for sure especially for those that grew up in RI

Bragging rights for a year and unfortunately we haven't won in 7 years need to fix that
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Hasn't it been said that revenue is now the most important thing to help get this program to the next level? Do you know how important beating PC is in creating revenue? More local publicity. More ticket sales to games for the rest of the season. More Rhody gear sold, etc., etc., etc. If creating more revenue DURING the season is important, beating PC early in the schedule is HUGE, in my opinion. But then, it's just another game...keep telling yourself that.
No doubt in my mind losing that game in December cost us thousands and thousands of butts in the seats.
Lotta casual fans where I am here right near campus and the Rhody balloon popped here huge after that game and stayed popped for a while.
You are a resident of fantasy island if you think differently. Winning vs Providence is a huge deal for making $$$
HUGE
After the URI loss to PC we were 5-3 and everyone was upset since we had been picked as a Top 25 team.

So as you say a PC win will be HUGE for attendance at the Ryan Center and being in lots of money, consider - let's say URI beat PC last December but to end up with the same 5-3 record they lost to Belmont, or any other of the wins they had before the PC game (Brown, Marist, etc) The key point being the PC game win would mean more to attendance than a win over most any other team.

I still do not think there is this huge increase in attendance because we won the instate rivalry game. The 5-3 record is still a 5-3 record.

Does it mean more to beat PC than Belmont or Marist or Brown? Of course, but I'll need to see this huge attendance boost to believe it. Of course with x straight losses it's just a conjecture thing - need to win to see if it makes attendance boom.

Looking at last year's schedule I'd think that the Cincinnati, Duke, Dayton Home, Dayton Away, VCU Home, Davidson Home, Davidson Away, Richmond Away were all more important or at least as important as the PC game.

This year Alabama Away, Seton Hall, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Dayton, VCU, Richmond and St Louis will be more important or at least as important as the PC game.
2016-17 Results.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:RR2,
When do we find out which teams we play in the Regular Season for the A10? Is that already known based on where the teams finished this past year? or is this determined later by the League Office? What decides whether we play Dayton twice, VCU twice, etc?
They announced the opponents, but not dates, on June 15th last year, so pretty much any weekday now. They try and take geography, rivalries, and where they think each team will finish into account to decide the home and home matchups. As far as I know last year's standings will have no effect on this year's schedule.

We will almost definitely have home games against Duquesne, George Mason, Richmond, and St. Louis.

Assuming the same home and home partners as last year, you can add home games against Davidson, Dayton, La Salle, UMass, and St. Joe's.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:This is a little unfair. How many times in the last seven years did they have a better team and we almost pulled off the upset. Hell two years ago when Matthews was hurt and they had a lottery pick we would have won if the ref would have correctly called a foul on their game winner. And each of the last four years it's come down to the final possession. So you can't say the excitement and uncertainty isn't there.
To explore this point a little bit more, I looked at KenPom. In 2010 we were ranked 119 they were 86.
In 11 it was 225-127.
In 12, the start of the Hurley era, it was 193-69 we lost by 15.
In 13, 115-47 loss by 1.
14, 61-27, 8
15, 82-44, 2
16, 34-60, 3

This past year was the only year during the streak that KenPom had us better. In my opinion, the first year of the Hurley era the game is what you'd expect. Second year, we probably shouldn't have been that close. Third year about what you'd expect. Fourth year, shouldn't have been that close. Fifth year, we underperformed, but not egregiously.

Home court is massive in this series, especially on our end. That and PC and Cooley got the jump on us when it came to rebuilding the programs. Those two things, especially the latter one, have been the difference in this rivalry of late.

One thing I'd like to point out. For all the angst on here about coaching the last two years, to keep us top 100 when EC was hurt plus all the other injuries is pretty damn good coaching.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I went back over the history of the Ryan Center and looked at the average attendance for conference games. You'll never guess what I found. It's more important that we're good then if we beat PC.

Years when we beat PC we average 1028 more per conference game then years we lose.

Years when we have a winning nonconference record we average 1264 more per conference game then years we have a losing nonconference record.

People will point to the 1028 more in years we win and say "see there's the bump", but of course we average more in those years, those were the years at the beginning of the Ryan Center when we got a bounce from playing in a new arena and the years when we tended to have good teams. The fact is it's more important that we take care of our own business. If we're good, people will come. If we're bad, they won't. No matter what happens one day in December.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramster,

Saying the St Louis and Richmond games are as important or more important than the PC game is downright laughable.

You don't really believe that do you?
1 x
Go Rhody
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Oddly, I think this year's game will be more important and less important than normal at the same time. It will be more important because it will most likely be a top 50 RPI game for both teams, and a chip for the winner with the NCAA committee. This is one of the rare seasons when both teams are expected to be in the tournament at the start of the season. It will also gather more national attention, especially if one or both teams are ranked on game day.

The part that makes it less important is the fact that both teams have quality non-conference opponents, which will give the loser of the game additional opportunities for quality wins. I also think URI will win the A-10 regardless of this game, and the Big East will be as tough as any league in the country top to bottom, so Providence will have a high enough RPI to make the tourney again.

The rivalry, as well college basketball around here is so much better when both schools are good, and that shouldn't change as long as their respective head coaches remain.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:Ramster,

Saying the St Louis and Richmond games are as important or more important than the PC game is downright laughable.

You don't really believe that do you?
St. Louis could be Top 3 in the conference and Richmond Top 4 or 5.
NCAA bid depends a lot on the Conference as this year clearly showed. Winning the conference got us the Bi without the playin game.
PC got the play in game, lost it and they beat us in December.

Beating PC gets the state all jazzed up but the Conference results are the key
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You can't tell me that beating Richmond sells more tickets than beating PC. Like Rhody 15 said, that's laughable.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:You can't tell me that beating Richmond sells more tickets than beating PC. Like Rhody 15 said, that's laughable.
Its not laughable because I did not say that. Never said beating Richmond sells more tickets than beating PC. I am more talking about getting the NCAA Bid that ultimately sells tickets. The overall record drives ticket sales. Beating PC can sell more tickets but honestly Ii don't think in the numbers being thrown around here. If we beat PC this season instead of Belmont and we were 5-3 after the PC game how many more tickets do you think we would have sold on average to each remaining home game? that is the question. 1000 more? 900 more? 50 more? How many of the additional tickets would go to non incremental revenue students? To get more revenue they would need to be sold.

You and 15 say that beating PC will make a HUGE impact on putting fans in the seats at URI to the tune of numbers like a 1000 more in the seats per game.

I'm saying that last year we were 5-3 after the PC Game. You guys keep saying we must beat PC to get people in the seats in big numbers.
I'm saying that going by what you guys are saying that IF we switch the PC game with Belmont (or Marist or Brown......) and we lose to Belmont but beat PC to still end up with the 5-3 record. Of course we all want to win every game but the argument is that the PC game is so incredibly huge to win, more or far more than all the other games on our schedule........
But the record itself is big. 5-3 with a win against PC or 5-3 with a loss to PC is still a 5-3 record. Not great. Not enough to really pull people to the games.

So lets forget Richmond or St Louis and just say at what point in our A10 STANDINGS do you think the PC Game is a more important win than a conference win?

1st place team
2nd place team
3rd place team
4th place team
5th place team
etc

I am saying that URI beating Dayton and VCU is more important than beating PC this season or next season because they are arguably 1st, 2nd or 3rd place teams in the A10. A10 typically gets 3 teams or more in the NCAA.

Then I would argue that URI beating the 4th and 5th place teams in the A10 is more important to our NCAA hopes than beating PC because we must beat out the 4th and 5th place teams in the A10 to get a bid. I think VCU and Dayton will be Top 3 along with us next year and whoever the other 2 teams in the Top 5 are will be critical for URI to finish ahead of. Our win vs Davidson at Davidson was huge last season as was the OT win at home on Senior Night. I could argue both were more important or at least close to being as important as the PC game.

Games next year I think are more important to win than the PC game (not getting more ticket sales, just more important to the NCAA or Bust Goal:
Alabama away
Vanderbilt Preseason NIT
Seton Hall Preseason NIT
Virginia Preseason NIT
Dayton Home
Dayton Away
VCU Home
VCU Away
4th Place Team in A10 Home and Away
5th Place Team in A10 Home and Away
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Beating a top 50 team who happens to be our rival is not as important as beating the 5th place team in the Atlantic 10?
Last edited by steveystuds06 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:You can't tell me that beating Richmond sells more tickets than beating PC. Like Rhody 15 said, that's laughable.
As I showed last night, there is zero proof that beating PC results in more tickets sold. The idea that there's some sizeable contingent of potential fans just waiting for the results of the PC game to buy tickets is what is laughable.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I think we're all splitting hairs here. While beating PC is a perception increaser within the state, the overall record of the team is much more important obviously. Fans in general want to go to important games, putting yourself into the at large conversation going into conference play is the real key to increasing ticket sales and perception down the stretch.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think at least this season, the PC game will be more important, as we won't have many [or any] opportunities for top 50 wins in conference.

Too many OOC stumbles, as we had last season, will seriously hurt our at large chances.

Then the pressure would really be on, to maybe having to win the conference regular season and/or the conference tourney.

The A10 could really struggle to get 3 NCAAT teams this time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

OK, for the casual basketball fan in RI, whoever wins that game isn't important. Would they rather go to the Dump to watch PC or to the RC to watch us? For us to fill the RC on a consistent basis, we need new fans. But, whatever. Let's win that Belmont game. That'll get the casual fan to come and see us. As long as we have a good record...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Most of us older fans know the game is important.

And that's all that matters, really.

Excuses are for losers...and that's what some here are using to minimize the importance of that game.

From the 60's to the 90's.....in these parts the game was huge....and just because it's a new century it's not?

Ask the players if they think it's not, also.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The game is only as important as it pertains to our NCAA chances. Do folks really think winning the PC game is going to put 1000 extra fans in the seats on some Tuesday night against Fordham or Duquesne? Or ODU or Belmont? I just don't think the casual fan is going to go out of their way on weeknights to see that sort of game.Doesn't mean we shouldn't win the game. It's about time we did.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And therefore it's important. It will impact our NCAA chances if we don't get the autobid.....doesn't mean if we lose it we're done of course, but it won't help, especially since it's at home this season.

I agree if we win it it's not going to make a 1000 fan difference against the weaker teams on our schedule....but it will make some difference.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
Games next year I think are more important to win than the PC game (not getting more ticket sales, just more important to the NCAA or Bust Goal:
Alabama away
Vanderbilt Preseason NIT
Seton Hall Preseason NIT
Virginia Preseason NIT
Dayton Home
Dayton Away
VCU Home
VCU Away
What's your reasoning behind this? Ignoring whether or not PC is an important game due to the rivalry, it's still going to be a home game against a potential NCAA tournament team. VCU and/or Dayton might not even make the tournament next year or finish in the top 5 of the a10. Who knows if Alabama will be good and if they are in fact good it's still a road game. I personally think the PC game will be one of the more important games to win because it's a home OOC game against a team that will likely be considered a solid win on our tournament resume.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Beating PC is equal to all of those games if you take the name off of the jerseys. Also important is to beat a Big East team. There are years when the A10 can be statistically above the Big East. Us winning that game head to head could be important.

I also boycotted a game or two after losses last year. Im sure there is a dip in attendance after losses like a PC loss.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The PC game is the one game of year when you wake up day of game you are instantly pumped kind of like Super Biel Sunday
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

In no way shape or form is beating the 5th place A10 team more important than beating PC.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:In no way shape or form is beating the 5th place A10 team more important than beating PC.
How about the 4th?
3rd?
Alabama?
Virginia?
Vanderbilt?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
Alabama away
Vanderbilt Preseason NIT
Seton Hall Preseason NIT
Virginia Preseason NIT
Dayton Home
Dayton Away
VCU Home
VCU Away
What's your reasoning behind this? Ignoring whether or not PC is an important game due to the rivalry, it's still going to be a home game against a potential NCAA tournament team. VCU and/or Dayton might not even make the tournament next year or finish in the top 5 of the a10. Who knows if Alabama will be good and if they are in fact good it's still a road game. I personally think the PC game will be one of the more important games to win because it's a home OOC game against a team that will likely be considered a solid win on our tournament resume.
The reasoning goes back to early in the thread.
It's said that we must beat PC to get HUGE increases in attendance.
My point is that if you exchange the Belmont win with the PC loss then URI is still a mediocre 5-3 following the PC game. I don't think that PC win would have drawn huge increases in attendance over what we got and brought in a lot more money. That's the difference of opinion in a nutshell.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Most of us older fans know the game is important.

And that's all that matters, really.

Excuses are for losers...and that's what some here are using to minimize the importance of that game.

From the 60's to the 90's.....in these parts the game was huge....and just because it's a new century it's not?

Ask the players if they think it's not, also.
All well and good, but The discussion is about how beating PC is necessary to bring huge attendance increases and lots more money in ticket sales.
If you exchange Belmont win with the PC loss seeing as how beating PC, then URI is still overall 5-3 following the PC "win". How many more fans do you think URI averages per game if we beat PC instead of Beating Belmont? I'm guessing nowhere close to 1000 more per game, earlier posts and data from RR2 says there is no correlation between attendance and whether or not we beat PC. It's the overall record and quality of the team that drives the attendance number.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:In no way shape or form is beating the 5th place A10 team more important than beating PC.
How about the 4th?
3rd?
Alabama?
Virginia?
Vanderbilt?
Do you know how to read?

Didn't even mention those other teams, all I said was the 5th place team, and probably even the 4th, is not as important as beating PC.

And yes, Alabama and the NIT games are more important than PC in my opinion.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody