2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

College Sports Madness is doing a top 144 teams, with a new profile each day counting down to the season start. UNC-Asheville they have at #106, predicted to win their conference. Pretty well done piece for a site I don't think I'd heard of before.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14955
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Glad to see the holy cross game when the students are on campus. Don't need games on week days before thanksgiving.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If you thought scheduling a Big Ten school was already very difficult (which it is), it looks like it will become even more so starting in 2018-19 with two less OOC games (replaced with an additional two league games):

Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just like the ACC announced
Two big, prestigious P5 Conferences going to 20 game schedules. Will the other 3 be far behind?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Just like the ACC announced
Two big, prestigious P5 Conferences going to 20 game schedules. Will the other 3 be far behind?

Probably not. It makes scheduling OOC games against P5 schools even tougher. Series games vs the likes of teams like Nevada will for the most part become the best that URI will be able to do.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Would love to see Rhody schedule a home and home with a Gonzaga too. And don't say Gonzaga is too big. They did a home and home with St. Joe's in recent years.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree that would be awesome
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steviep123 wrote:Would love to see Rhody schedule a home and home with a Gonzaga too. And don't say Gonzaga is too big. They did a home and home with St. Joe's in recent years.
The difference in Gonzaga playing St. John's means 1) the Zags played at MSG, which is a huge deal and 2) they got some national TV exposure out of it and 3) I believe it was part of the NIT Season Tip Off. If the Zags are going to do such a thing (i.e. schedule a team like URI), they need to have some compelling reasons ($$$$$).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Would love to see Rhody schedule a home and home with a Gonzaga too. And don't say Gonzaga is too big. They did a home and home with St. Joe's in recent years.
The difference in Gonzaga playing St. John's means 1) the Zags played at MSG, which is a huge deal and 2) they got some national TV exposure out of it and 3) I believe it was part of the NIT Season Tip Off. If the Zags are going to do such a thing (i.e. schedule a team like URI), they need to have some compelling reasons ($$$$$).
He said St. Joe's, not St. John's. However, the @ St. Joe's game was 10 years ago (it was their only OOC road game in 07-08). They have generally only played 2-3 road games in OOC since, almost exclusively against P5 teams, mostly out west, with the exception of Xavier in 11-12. In some years they've played one road game; last year they played none and this year they play none.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Gonzaga to come here.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Gonzaga is a smaller school with a total budget of 265 million.
....Their athletic budget is 20 million, including all scholarships.
....Their travel expenses for all sports is 2.4 million.

Inspite of their men's basketball success, their budget pales to that of a P5 school. Like ourselves, probably many considerations with each expenditure.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
He said St. Joe's, not St. John's. However, the @ St. Joe's game was 10 years ago (it was their only OOC road game in 07-08). They have generally only played 2-3 road games in OOC since, almost exclusively against P5 teams, mostly out west, with the exception of Xavier in 11-12. In some years they've played one road game; last year they played none and this year they play none.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Gonzaga to come here.
My fault. I was wrong on the St. John's reference. Sorry about that.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Update: As of today, eight A-10 members have announced their OOC schedules. With the exception of St. Bona all have the desired 13 game schedule, the Bonnies will play only 12 games. Besides URI, St. Joe's, Richmond, Fordham, GW and Davidson have yet to announce.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Update: As of today, eight A-10 members have announced their OOC schedules. With the exception of St. Bona all have the desired 13 game schedule, the Bonnies will play only 12 games. Besides URI, St. Joe's, Richmond, Fordham, GW and Davidson have yet to announce.

I have to assume the hold up is that they might still be trying to get that one last allowable game. Given there may be a game vs a non D1 school (Oakland City), it is important to play a full slate with as many D1 opponents as possible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Update: As of today, eight A-10 members have announced their OOC schedules. With the exception of St. Bona all have the desired 13 game schedule, the Bonnies will play only 12 games. Besides URI, St. Joe's, Richmond, Fordham, GW and Davidson have yet to announce.

I have to assume the hold up is that they might still be trying to get that one last allowable game. Given there may be a game vs a non D1 school (Oakland City), it is important to play a full slate with as many D1 opponents as possible.
I remember one year, not too long ago, where we released the schedule, short one game, and then added one later on - in mid September I believe to give us the full allotment. I think it might have been Detroit that we added and it might have been a home and home.

Still lot's of teams without their OOC Schedules out there
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

It was Iona that was added after the schedule was released.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Who would the A-10 play if it went this route? The P5 leagues and Big East would probably not cooperate with the A-10. The most similar league in strength has been the AAC but many of their members still live in the past thinking they are higher up in the pecking order than current reality. The only other leagues worth consideration might be the MWV or WCC.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wonder what the hold up is on our unknown Preseason NIT game. The other three schools playing in Brooklyn have their two home NIT opponents named already.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RF1 wrote:

Who would the A-10 play if it went this route? The P5 leagues and Big East would probably not cooperate with the A-10. The most similar league in strength has been the AAC but many of their members still live in the past thinking they are higher up in the pecking order than current reality. The only other leagues worth consideration might be the MWV or WCC.

The AAC is the logical choice...some interesting matchups with their current configuration like Dayton vs Cincy, URI vs UConn, Temple vs St. Joe's, VCU vs SMU or Memphis. Would be a great idea for the league to guarantee some high caliber games, which is becoming more necessary with the P5 conferences adding more league games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree AAC would be the best choice for that
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I see we are scheduled to play UConn in football next August 30, 2018 [UConn football website]. Maybe it could happen in men's basketball as well? UConn has had a tough time filling the Civic Center. I'm not sure that they would have any incentive to play at the smaller Mohegan Sun Arena though.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: The AAC is the logical choice...some interesting matchups with their current configuration like Dayton vs Cincy, URI vs UConn, Temple vs St. Joe's, VCU vs SMU or Memphis. Would be a great idea for the league to guarantee some high caliber games, which is becoming more necessary with the P5 conferences adding more league games.

Jon Rothstein wrote an article about such a challenge between the leagues back in June:
https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothst ... challenge/

Rothstein's tweet for above article and comments:

Many UConn fans panned the idea on their board:
https://the-boneyard.com/threads/rothst ... ge.112499/

Excerpts:
It would also further the AAC's image as a mid-major conference.

That is probably a smart idea but makes me want to vomit

The saddest part about this is it makes a lot of sense :(

kill me now please. I never wanted to believe it was over. Its over.

It makes no sense at all.

Sad!

No, no , no!

I'm in agreement with BB, the A10 is a horrific conference. We definitely do NOT want to partner up with them ever! Sorry brother but NO!!!

Most of the UConn fanbase is still living in the past and believe their program is still on par with its past. They refuse to accept that the AAC is quite similar to the A-10 in strength. They choose to ignore the fact that the leagues have traded places in the last few years with regards to which has the better RPI ranking and more NCAA bids. Many Uconn and AAC fans denigrate Duquesne and Fordham of the A-10 while ignoring the fact they have Tulane, USF, UCF, and ECU. They are oblivious to the reality that the A-10 has had 15 NCAA participants to 12 for the AAC since their league was formed.

There was a thread here right after Rothstein's article and tweet.
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6911
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We live in the past too.

UCONN just doesn't look good on the gridiron or the hardwood. People on this board rush to protect them but they are on the decline.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Asked someone in ticketing when the schedule is going to be released. He said mid-September.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

UConn may have one or two years left to separate themselves. But if they don't they will slide back to mid major status which would be sad. As far as the AAC goes they are weak at the bottom but no A10 team has the pedigree of UConn Cinci or even Memphis. Plus Wichita State now. Matching up with the AAC still has upside for the A10
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

In the conference re-shuffling over the past 10 years UConn has become the school which has lost the most stature.

They needed football and basketball to take them to the ACC or the Big10 and it didn't....the AAC needs a couple of more top notch football and basketball schools before they can challenge the Power 5 conferences....and I don't think those schools are out there
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The AAC's advantage over the A10 is their level of football.....basketball is close to a wash.....both conferences are weak at the bottom and comparable at the top and middle.

The AAC wants to improve their stature and thinks that they won't do that playing the A10 in basketball.

But it would help the A10 at least a little.....one problem though would be the travel costs involved playing the AAC since that conference is spread out quite a bit, and some of their schools are well over 1000 miles away.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

And UConn...is not helping their football look right now at all... trailing Holy Cross 20-7...at home....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is they will struggle early but improve as the season goes on.....the staff should be an upgrade over the previous one....the question is, can they recruit well enough? Being in the AAC is not doing them any favors.....maybe we can spring an upset next August.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody v Wichita would be great !!!
1 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

A10 schedule released tomorrow per twitter
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like their whole schedule will be out tomorrow.

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 8m8 minutes ago
Hearing that @RhodyMBB will release their non-conference schedule tomorrow, on top of @A10MBB schedule drop. #GoRhody
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GW just announced their 13 game OOC schedule. They open with an exhibition match against. Fairmont State. They play Xavier in the Las Vegas Invitational and then either K-State or Arizona State. Other notable opponents are Florida State (away), Penn State (away), Miami (home) and Temple (home). Will also host games versus Harvard and Princeton.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We will finally find out if they filled out the last allowable game and whether a school coming off a win in the NCAA Tournament is actually going to play a tiny christian non D1 school (Oakland City).
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Obadiah wrote:GW just announced their 13 game OOC schedule. They open with an exhibition match against. Fairmont State. They play Xavier in the Las Vegas Invitational and then either K-State or Arizona State. Other notable opponents are Florida State (away), Penn State (away), Miami (home) and Temple (home). Will also host games versus Harvard and Princeton.
Wow. Best OOC in the country???
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I'm hearing they will release what they have scheduled to date, not necessarily where the schedule will finish. Still working out details to complete the schedule.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:GW just announced their 13 game OOC schedule. They open with an exhibition match against. Fairmont State. They play Xavier in the Las Vegas Invitational and then either K-State or Arizona State. Other notable opponents are Florida State (away), Penn State (away), Miami (home) and Temple (home). Will also host games versus Harvard and Princeton.
Better than ours, that's for sure.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Sexier names for sure, better RPI OOC SOS? We'll see. Ours will be strong.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last week, St. Joseph's released their OOC schedule and the Hawks will play only 11 games. The Hawks will travel to California to play in the Wooden Legacy where they will meet Washington State and Harvard or St. Mary's and one other team. The schedule includes the usual Big Five rivals. They will also play St. John's at Mohegan Sun in the Holiday Showcase.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

rambone 78 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Not by choice, I know our staff tried to schedule some tough games. Florida State, South Carolina, and Minnesota all turned us down for games at their place.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
PC
Seton Hall
Alabama
UVA or Vanderbilt
Nevada
Iona

4 of those 6 are Top 30ish teams. Not sure how anyone could ding the schedule DH put together.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
PC
Seton Hall
Alabama
UVA or Vanderbilt
Nevada
Iona

4 of those 6 are Top 30ish teams. Not sure how anyone could ding the schedule DH put together.
Dan knows what he's doing obviously. The OOC SOS will be extremely high this year, not many cupcakes and a bunch of solid top 100 type RPI mid's on the schedule. If we continue this success, sexier names will want to schedule home and homes. It's already paying dividend with Alabama signing on this year, more to come hopefully.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: Not sure how anyone could ding the schedule DH put together.
But everyone will try anyway!
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's why we can't have nice things.

Moving the goal posts is Bone's MO. Best OOC schedule in the last decade plus in terms of chances for quality wins.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:That's why we can't have nice things.

Moving the goal posts is Bone's MO. Best OOC schedule in the last decade plus in terms of chances for quality wins.
Hey let's give this fan base the benefit of the doubt for once. I think the vast majority of fans on here understand the strategy within this schedule. It's core mission is simple really, schedule the best projected RPI programs you can. The sexier names have more leverage so while we are still accending up in national awareness/perception, we schedule what we can to have a strong RPI. It's as simple as that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sheesh.....you guys are ridiculous. All I was saying was our OOC didn't measure up to GW's.....theirs is a very good one.

Ours is good too, just not as good. Never said it was bad....but some of you just can't wait to make something out of nothing.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

A10 comes out at 2 today. 50 conference games televised this year.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:A10 comes out at 2 today. 50 conference games televised this year.

URI game at SBU will be a Friday night on ESPN2 according to a Bonaventure blog. SBU return afternoon game (probably a weekend?) in Kingston will be on ESPNU. One would think URI, coming off an A-10 Tournament Championship and NCAA Tourney win, will get more national tv games this season than most recent past years. With Cox no longer doing games, this is a good thing for the program. Hopefully, URI has a local partner (such as MyRITV or MeTV) for the games this season not picked up by national carriers.

The Bona Blog
http://thebonablog.com/2017/09/06/break ... ling-news/
0 x