2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Iggy1979 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Regardless where those games are played I see a lot of L's on that schedule based on their returning roster.
The roster that's predicted to finish first in A10?
By who? The only press mentions of the A10 next year say it's us and then everyone else. I haven't seen anyone predict VCU is the team to beat. New coach, young team, some transfers and a very difficult OOC early season schedule would seem to present quite a challenge for them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Iggy1979 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Regardless where those games are played I see a lot of L's on that schedule based on their returning roster.
The roster that's predicted to finish first in A10?
I think he was talking about Dayton's schedule and they aren't going to be picked first this season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lots of confusion going on here. This is like a three stooges skit (not calling you guys stooges, just amused by the crosstalk).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Absolutely sucks that we are playing Thanksgiving Day at 6:00. We were planning to go to the games but now will have to watch on TV.
Also, I wonder why the NIT games are scheduled against the NFL games on Thanksgiving which are typically get high ratings.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Agreed. Would have been fun if it was Friday Saturday.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thanksgiving in NYC doesn't sound so bad...just might have to make this trip.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Thanksgiving is family, football and turkey. Not good scheduling, IMO.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bummer indeed on the Thursday game.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep I'll be missing that one live..... DVR material
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

adam914 wrote:Thanksgiving in NYC doesn't sound so bad...just might have to make this trip.
If you're driving from your home and find yourself in North Carolina, turn left....lol
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Thanksgiving is family, football and turkey. Not good scheduling, IMO.
I get not going to the game, but I don't get people acting like they won't watch on TV. Are people seriously this invested in the end of the Chargers at Cowboys? That game is going to suck.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramfan85 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Thanksgiving in NYC doesn't sound so bad...just might have to make this trip.
If you're driving from your home and find yourself in North Carolina, turn left....lol
Haha, I was just going to wait until I saw water again to turn left, but this advice might save me a few hours!
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sometimes I wonder who plans this games...yea let's just go head to head with football on thanksgiving.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It isn't like these games are scheduled in a vacuum. You have arena and TV schedules to contend with, also. Personally, I'm kind of bummed I won't make it to the opening game with it falling on Thanksgiving, but on the plus side I get to watch Rhody as the food and beer consumed to that point in the day help me become one with my couch and I will have football to flip to during commercials. There are worse things.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Don't watch the game then. Quit bitching about it. 6pm on Thanksgiving Day, The URI Rams will be on my tv.
6 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Cheap programming for ESPN to put up against the football games. ESPN owns the tournament.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote:Don't watch the game then. Quit bitching about it. 6pm on Thanksgiving Day, The URI Rams will be on my tv.

Woah cool it there hardo.

I was talking more about attendance / ratings for the game, obviously I'm going to watch it.

Now take a chill pill and have a good night.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'll be leaving Thanksgiving early and heading to NY. No way I'm missing this one.

Any suggestions on hotels?
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I am really intrigued by VCU this season. They're VCU, so they have all the resources and fan support in the world. They also have eight new players to work in. Their fans are completely in love with Rhoades. He's probably a good coach, but they're also really counting on him never leaving them. Time will tell.

Duquesne released their OOC schedule. It's a disaster, which is by plan, I imagine.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Dukes will not play a single true road game. Other than two neutral site tournament games in Las Vagas, every game is basically on campus (PPG Paints Arena is two blocks over). Schedule has but one P5 (an expected bad Pitt team) and a bunch of lower profile opponents. Not one team (out of 13) was in the 2017 NCAA Tournament. Given the quality of opponent and site for games, they should get some wins. They however will not be worth much and their RPI SOS will be really bad.

2017-18 DUQUESNE MEN’S BASKETBALL
Complete OOC schedule
Date Day Opponent Site Time (ET)
Nov. 11 Sat. ST. FRANCIS BROOKLYN A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Nov. 14 Tues. VMI A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Nov. 19 Sun. ROBERT MORRIS A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Nov. 27 Mon. CORNELL A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Dec. 1 Fri. vs. Pitt PPG Paints Arena TBA
Dec. 4 Mon. MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Dec. 6 Wed. STETSON A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Dec. 9 Sat. DELAWARE STATE A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Dec. 13 Wed. MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
LAS VEGAS CLASSIC
Dec. 17 Sun. NORTH CAROLINA A&T A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Dec. 19 Tues. LAMAR A.J. Palumbo Center TBA
Dec. 22 Fri. San Francisco Las Vegas, Nev. TBA
Dec. 23 Sat. Southern Illinois Las Vegas, Nev. TBA
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Don't watch the game then. Quit bitching about it. 6pm on Thanksgiving Day, The URI Rams will be on my tv.

Woah cool it there hardo.

I was talking more about attendance / ratings for the game, obviously I'm going to watch it.

Now take a chill pill and have a good night.
Glad you will be watching. Umm, the NIT Preseason Tip Off along with multiple tournaments happen on T Day. Not a new concept.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Right? I don't remember this amount of complaining when we played Kansas on Thanksgiving a few years back
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think there's more complaining because Brooklyn is within reasonable driving distance for many, but just not on Thanksgiving afternoon.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

first thing my wife said was "let's do a thanksgiving breakfast and we can hit the road by noon."

I married well.

We'll be doing whiskey and turkey clubs in Brooklyn if anyone wants to do a KB thanksgiving.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Would be great but the wife wouldn't go for that lol. Ill be in the back room at the in laws watching while they watch a shitty football game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

For those of you that have gone to Barclays before, can you recommend any good hotels nearby?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I think there's more complaining because Brooklyn is within reasonable driving distance for many, but just not on Thanksgiving afternoon.
+1
1 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How about Friday though? Most people are probably off work already.
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

The wife and I will be there (She said "sounds great" to no cooking this year). Booked hotel already.
6 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I'll be enjoying a KB Thanksgiving in Brooklyn. How does 2-0 against the Big East sound this year, eh?
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote:For those of you that have gone to Barclays before, can you recommend any good hotels nearby?
Adam not sure of hotels by the arena, but its very convenient to get to Barclays from Manhattan (its adjacent to a massive transit hub so bunch of subways go there) and you will have more choices in manhattan in terms of price and location. That said, it's Thanksgiving and the city will be crazy with tourists...macy's day parade, etc so I am sure prices will be jacked up. I always love Hotels Tonight app but that requires you wait until a few days before to book. Not everyone has the stomach for that!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:
adam914 wrote:For those of you that have gone to Barclays before, can you recommend any good hotels nearby?
Adam not sure of hotels by the arena, but its very convenient to get to Barclays from Manhattan (its adjacent to a massive transit hub so bunch of subways go there) and you will have more choices in manhattan in terms of price and location. That said, it's Thanksgiving and the city will be crazy with tourists...macy's day parade, etc so I am sure prices will be jacked up. I always love Hotels Tonight app but that requires you wait until a few days before to book. Not everyone has the stomach for that!
Good to know, I am way way more familiar with Manhattan, go there for work all the time so if its that easy to get back and forth I will focus more on that. Between flights, game tickets, etc. I am just ignoring how much this is all going to cost and am going for it!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When this tournament was announced we knew we would be playing Thanksgiving Day because that is when they play - just like last year.
Great time to be in NYC if you can get away with being there on Thanksgiving Day and on Black Friday.
Have to go to this. Thanksgiving Lunch - not Dinner.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You can stay in the Ground Zero area and there are many choice hotels there such as the Hilton Millennium, the Four Seasons, et al. You can then work in a visit to the 9/11 museum, in addition to visiting two shopping centers, an incredible new transportation center, and a visit to Eataly for a gastronomic experience. From there it is a two subway stop to Barclay's.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

To echo what a few have already said, staying in Manhattan is plenty convenient. It's about a 20-30 minute ride by subway, depending on an express or local train to Barclays. You can always cab back from Brooklyn one way for about $30-40.

I've already booked a hotel and found a really good rate using Kayak. Amtrak (from Kingston) or Metro North (from New Haven, plus parking) will each run less than $125 round trip. Pretty certain I'll be hitting the town at some point with Blue Man (and his understanding, lovely plus-1) if anyone would like to meet and trade some holiday cheer/ideas over a drink.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bill Koch wrote:To echo what a few have already said, staying in Manhattan is plenty convenient. It's about a 20-30 minute ride by subway, depending on an express or local train to Barclays. You can always cab back from Brooklyn one way for about $30-40.

I've already booked a hotel and found a really good rate using Kayak. Amtrak (from Kingston) or Metro North (from New Haven, plus parking) will each run less than $125 round trip. Pretty certain I'll be hitting the town at some point with Blue Man (and his understanding, lovely plus-1) if anyone would like to meet and trade some holiday cheer/ideas over a drink.
Would love to take you guys up on this. We'll have to get a meet up thread going when it gets closer.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Booked my room at the Best Western Plus Arena for $150 a night.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

adam914 wrote:How about Friday though? Most people are probably off work already.
for the A10s i stayed at the Union Hotel, i just looked it's $140 a night that weekend, you can walk to barclays center easily too

one warning the rooms are most New York style, aka bed, bathroom, tv, not a lot more
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote:first thing my wife said was "let's do a thanksgiving breakfast and we can hit the road by noon."

I married well.

We'll be doing whiskey and turkey clubs in Brooklyn if anyone wants to do a KB thanksgiving.
She's a keeper!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I don't think I can get a free pass from my mom and miss Thanksgiving. I talked to one of my friends this weekend, and I am thinking of taking the train down from Kingston on Friday morning. Looks like the earliest you can get to NYC is around 10:30AM. Sounds like it should be early enough to make the game we play on Friday? I know time is still TBD, but I really don't want to miss this!
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

steveystuds06 wrote:Booked my room at the Best Western Plus Arena for $150 a night.
That's where I'm booked for 2 nights. Nice walking distance to the arena.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In a rather surprising development concerning two New England D1 schools, Hartford of the America East, will host ACC member Boston College on December 2nd.

http://www.hartfordhawks.com/news/2017/ ... edule.aspx
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:In a rather surprising development concerning two New England D1 schools, Hartford of the America East, will host ACC member Boston College on December 2nd.

They played last season at BC... and Hartford won.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:In a rather surprising development concerning two New England D1 schools, Hartford of the America East, will host ACC member Boston College on December 2nd.

They played last season at BC... and Hartford won.

Anyone beating BC these days is not a surprise. The surprise is that BC, a member of the vaunted ACC, would consent to playing a road game in a 3,500 seat gym at Hartford, a team from America East. BC has in the past felt they were far above everyone else in New England. The only way URI got them to visit twice was in series whereby they got two home games for each Ryan Center game. Their oldest rival in New England hasn't gotten them to play on their campus in decades. BC would only grant them 2-1's with the Holy Cross game having to be played at the DCU Center.

Chase Arena at U of Hartford

Beating BC at Conte Fourm is not an unusual feat. Rhode Island has an overall winning record there of 3-2. Most D1 New England schools have recorded wins there in the last decade as Hartford, UMass-Lowell, Bryant, Harvard, UMass-Amherst, BU, URI, Yale, Maine, and Vermont all came away with victories at Chestnut Hill.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Can you imagine getting your last win of the season on January 11th?
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Thanksgiving is family, football and turkey. Not good scheduling, IMO.
I get not going to the game, but I don't get people acting like they won't watch on TV. Are people seriously this invested in the end of the Chargers at Cowboys? That game is going to suck.
Fortunately for me, I couldn't care less about pro football, and am always looking for a college game to watch. Having it be URI is a bonus.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Two pieces of information from the UNC Asheville site. First, our game against them will be Saturday November 11th. Personally, I'd prefer to play this the day before so the team had the maximum time to get ready for the next game and so I wouldn't have to wait an extra day for the season to start. I imagine it's on Saturday so the athletic department can have a double header that day, with football hosting Villanova at noon. So I wouldn't imagine the basketball game starting before 4 or 5.

Also, there's an additional unbracketed team in the NIT Tipoff. The Oakland City Mighty Oaks, a division 2 school from Indiana, are also taking part. No word on who they're playing other than Austin Peay and UNC Asheville so they may just be part of this to fill out home games for the other unbracketed schools. So with getting UNC Asheville and Austin Peay and Monmouth already scheduled for two games against bracketed schools it appears our other NIT Tipoff game will be against Fairleigh Dickenson or Oakland City.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Let's hope it's against FDU....obviously.

Still no word on the last 2 games to be scheduled.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Also, there's an additional unbracketed team in the NIT Tipoff. The Oakland City Mighty Oaks, a division 2 school from Indiana, are also taking part. No word on who they're playing other than Austin Peay and UNC Asheville so they may just be part of this to fill out home games for the other unbracketed schools. So with getting UNC Asheville and Austin Peay and Monmouth already scheduled for two games against bracketed schools it appears our other NIT Tipoff game will be against Fairleigh Dickenson or Oakland City.

I thought there were eight teams in the NIT Tip-Off Tournament. Oakland City would make it nine. How can that be? Are there teams that will not play the full four games?
0 x