2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There was also the CoSIDA Classic to start the 1998-99 season that featured doubleheaders on back to back nights and included TCU and Vanderbilt.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:I was there too. We almost blew that game, but held on......then we were supposed to get a home game for the next round, and got screwed over by the NIT committee and had to go to Utah, where we lost a close game...

Should have made the NIT FF that year.
You are confusing 1996 with 1992. URI got its first ever home NIT game (after much lobbying from Skinner after 1992 fiasco) in 1996 beating Marist at Keaney Gym. They next beat Charleston as part of a 2nd round NIT doubleheader at the PCC. They then lost at St. Joe's (which had beat PC in the doubleheader at the PCC in the preceding game).

In 1992, URI won at Vanderbilt and BC before falling at Utah.

I was fortunate to see the three New England games (@BC, Marist, and Charleston at the PCC).
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RF1, thanks for the correction. It's all there, just kind of jumbled up.....it was 1992 that URI got the shaft with that Utah game.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Home and home with Alabama starting in Tuscaloosa

3 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

This is going to be a really tough game. I hope it's early in the year so that their two 5* guards don't have as much time to settle in.
Last edited by 860_rhody 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Our only previous meeting with Alabama was a 79-78 loss on 12/29/92 in the Cable Car Classic in Santa Clara, California
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I like it, nice work.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I like it. Power 5 opponent
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Reminds me of the Auburn game.
Very nice to get a home and home with Alabama, especially since their program is looking up from a recruiting standpoint. Looks in a solid P5 opponent for 2 years.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Hurley gets his wish with only two road games, the OOC road schedule is completed with @ Alabama and @ Holy Cross (DCU Center-Worcester). Good highlight game for the Ryan Center in 2018 (PC game at DDC that season). Possible five remaining OOC home or neutral site games for 2017 yet to be announced.

FWIW:
Rhody has won its last two games vs SEC teams, both on the road - at Auburn in 2012-13 and at LSU in 2013-14.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'd expect at least one neutral next fall (in addition to the NIT Tip-Off tournament).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This is a nice addition to the schedule. Alabama is on the rise under Avery Johnson and its's P5.
Last edited by STC 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm glad we play them on the road this upcoming year. Gives us a marquee home game when we play at PC in 2018/2019, and we have a MUCH better chance of beating them at their place when we still have EC, Jared, Stan and Jarvis.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Alabama with the 4th ranked recruiting class this upcoming season

https://www.google.com.ar/amp/s/www.fan ... eries/amp/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/way-too-e ... 01438.html

23. ALABAMA
Key losses: G Corban Collins, F Jimmie Taylor, F Bola Olaniyan
Key returners: F Riley Norris, F Braxton Key, G Dazon Ingram, F Donta Hall, G Avery Johnson Jr., G Ar’mond Davis
Notable newcomers: C Daniel Giddens, G Collin Sexton, G John Petty, F Alex Reese

Outlook: There is a lot to like here. Sexton is a consensus top-10 recruit. Giddens, a transfer from Ohio State, is a former top-50 prospect and projects as a big-time shot-blocker. The class of newcomers is the reason Alabama is in this top 25. But don’t sleep on the returning core either. Key and Ingram were solid as freshmen, and should improve. Norris is a capable secondary scoring option. Avery Johnson should get to the tournament in his third season in Tuscaloosa.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:I'd expect at least one neutral next fall (in addition to the NIT Tip-Off tournament).
I failed to mention this in the "An Evening with Dan Hurley" thread, but they did mention they are working hard to get a neutral site game this season against a quality opponent. They didn't want to mention the team as they are still working hard to make it happen. However, I asked Thorr after if he was willing to mention the probable venue. He said it would likely be Nassau Coliseum. I'd be up for that if I couldn't make the NIT tip off at Barclay's. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

I'm also looking forward to the Worcester game. One of my closest friends lives there. He's a UNC fan, but I also turned him into a Rhody fan this year, so he's pumped to join me for that game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

With PC, at Bama, and two of UVA, Seton Hall and Vandy, we already have a solid OOC schedule.

If we get a neutral site game against another quality opponent, that would be ideal. Then throw in the home games against some cupcakes and I'm loving the OOC schedule.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting that Alabama just finished up a home and home series with Dayton. Both Games were on the ESPN Season Kick Off 24 Hour Marathon

- Tuesday November 17, 2015 Alabama @Dayton 1:00pm on ESPN for the 24 Hour Marathon
- Tuesday November 15, 2016 Dayton @ Alabama 1:15pm ESPN2 for the 24 Hour Marathon

Is it possible that the URI - Alabama Series could be slotted for the ESPN 24 Hour Marathon????

http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/ind ... on_no.html
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I may be mistaken, but didn't we have someone that worked under Thorr just accept a job at Alabama? Could've been the marketing arm of athletics. I think there may be some connection there...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote:I may be mistaken, but didn't we have someone that worked under Thorr just accept a job at Alabama? Could've been the marketing arm of athletics. I think there may be some connection there...
good question 104,

Our Assistant AD Marketing Ryan Majercik earned his MBA at Alabama. Would be a good question for the May 2 Dinner as to how the Alabama Series came about and also is there a chance this series ends up on the ESPN 24 Hours of Basketball like the home and home series with Alabama - Dayton was the past two years. Alabama also is connected with Learfield.

http://www.gorhody.com/information/staf ... n?view=bio

Majercik came to Rhode Island from the University of Alabama Athletic Department where he had served as Assistant Director of Marketing since October, 2013. He led the marketing, promotion, sales and gameday atmosphere efforts for the Crimson Tide women's basketball and baseball programs. He also managed the daily operations of the department's 20,000-member fan loyalty program and directed significant growth of the outbound sales team which generated nearly $300,000 in incremental ticket revenue during his tenure.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

FINALLY some basketball news!
I was thinking Bama might be a possible opponent since they've scheduled Dayton before.
They don't mind playing the A-10.
They're supposed to compete for the top of the SEC.
Beating Bama would be neato!
Thank all things merciful this isn't our football team we're talking about or the football program would quite literally be killed in Tuscaloosa...
Ya think we get this game if we didnt make the tournament this year?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I doubt a marketing guy has that kind of basketball scheduling pull, but maybe it started the conversation.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

ramster wrote:
Section104 wrote:I may be mistaken, but didn't we have someone that worked under Thorr just accept a job at Alabama? Could've been the marketing arm of athletics. I think there may be some connection there...
good question 104,

Our Assistant AD Marketing Ryan Majercik earned his MBA at Alabama. Would be a good question for the May 2 Dinner as to how the Alabama Series came about and also is there a chance this series ends up on the ESPN 24 Hours of Basketball like the home and home series with Alabama - Dayton was the past two years. Alabama also is connected with Learfield.

http://www.gorhody.com/information/staf ... n?view=bio

Majercik came to Rhode Island from the University of Alabama Athletic Department where he had served as Assistant Director of Marketing since October, 2013. He led the marketing, promotion, sales and gameday atmosphere efforts for the Crimson Tide women's basketball and baseball programs. He also managed the daily operations of the department's 20,000-member fan loyalty program and directed significant growth of the outbound sales team which generated nearly $300,000 in incremental ticket revenue during his tenure.
Looks like he recently accepted a job back at Alabama. Assistant AD - Marketing

https://twitter.com/RyanMajercik
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I doubt a marketing guy has that kind of basketball scheduling pull, but maybe it started the conversation.
Certainly not trying to say someone like this drive it, but could have provided or facilitated the connection.
The fact that Alabama played Dayton the past two years provides a posdible link as well.
Tomorrow nights dinner can shed some light an how it came about as well - surely no secrets here to protect.
All in all a great news story for scheduling.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be a great ESPN marathon day matchup
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely, one of the better matchups. Jon Rothstein had URI and Alabama in his Too Early Top 25 back in March. SEC vs A10. Potential Top 25 Teams. Both with high potential Freshmen Guards in Sexton and Russell.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

CORRECTION:

I have heard from a very good source that Rothstein jumped the gun on this Alabama-URI basketball game. He got his facts wrong.

It's actually URI vs. Alabama in football. Apparently, Nick Saban is looking to impress the BCS selection committee with an impressive road win at Meade Stadium. Mark it down. Plus, it will allow Belichick to make the short drive down to Kingston to scope all his future draft picks.

Donta Hightower will be flipping the honorary coin. Heads = URI wins, Tails = 'Bama loses

I believe the date of the game is October 32nd.
3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

PeterRamTime wrote:FINALLY some basketball news!
I was thinking Bama might be a possible opponent since they've scheduled Dayton before.
They don't mind playing the A-10.
They're supposed to compete for the top of the SEC.
Beating Bama would be neato!
Thank all things merciful this isn't our football team we're talking about or the football program would quite literally be killed in Tuscaloosa...
Ya think we get this game if we didnt make the tournament this year?

Beating Bama next year at their place would probably be as good a win or better then the Cincinnati win this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Alabama, UMASS,Minnesota and BYU to play this thanksgiving time at the Barclays Classic.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Do we know when the NIT kickoff will be? I thought it was around thanksgiving at Barclay's.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

IDK, but I just checked the Barclay's calendar on their website expecting to see the NIT Tip Off and the Barclays Classic, and instead they have neither listed yet but do have the "Legends Classic" with Oklahoma State, Penn State, Pitt and Texas A&M on 20th and 21. Thanksgiving is the 23rd. The Barclays Classic is supposed to be Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. I'd guess that would leave the NIT Tip Off to take place on the Weds/Thurs (Thanksgiving), except that I checked last year and the Barclay's Classic and NIT Tip Off actually overlapped, with the NIT going Thurs/Fri and the Barclays going Fri/Sat (keep in mind that the Islanders and Nets will also be in their seasons, as well, so it'll be a busy few days in Brooklyn).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If the Preseason NIT follows what it did last year, the first games are on Thanksgiving November 23rd and the second games are November 24th, with the games taking place in the afternoon. So maybe it's preseason NIT in the afternoon with the Barclay's Classic at night on Friday, almost like an NCAA tournament schedule set up?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The preseason NIT will be played in the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There has been talk of a neutral site game at Nassau Coliseum, but according to the NIT Tip Off web site it will be held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. I know that the Barclays Center purchased the Coliseum and is renovating it, so maybe you're early on news they have decided to move the event out to LI to utilize and showcase the renovated arena? But according to what is out there publicly it will be at Barclays.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:The preseason NIT will be played in the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
No, it's at Barclays
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Posted this on the 18-19 thread by accident: I was at the Auburn game where Dan won his first URI game and looking forward to this visit too!
1 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Speaking of Southern teams, you read it here first: after another year or two of Al Skinner recruiting at Kennesaw State, we will schedule them in a home and home. It will happen. Not necessarily a "power" team, but gets us an Al visit and Atlanta visibility.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you're the type to plan really, really far ahead, presale A10 tournament tickets are available this morning.

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2016 ... 0524oxhwmt
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ive planned on attending the DC tournament since it was announced. Now buy tickets..... that's another story.

Perfect way to visit the in laws. Spend the whole time watching A10 bball.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its cheaper to fly to see the boys play over seas right now. My barber told me he saw round-trip plane tickets to Paris for $350..for obvious reasons. Would love to head to DC though.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just in case anyone forgot how many straight games we had lost in the series
Seriously annoying to keep stating over and over and over again

Let the streak go to 50 straight games. It does not matter to the players who have at most only played only 3 of these "7 straight". The game matters like all games do but to the players the 7 straight is irrelevant. I don't care. It's much more about the A10 Conference Play, A10 Tournament the NCAA Tournament and winning games in the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is one scary Halloween Costume........oh wait, it's not Halloween. Has to be hand's down the ugliest Mascot outfit :lol: :lol:

Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Much better mascot

2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Just in case anyone forgot how many straight games we had lost in the series
Seriously annoying to keep stating over and over and over again

Let the streak go to 50 straight games. It does not matter to the players who have at most only played only 3 of these "7 straight". The game matters like all games do but to the players the 7 straight is irrelevant. I don't care. It's much more about the A10 Conference Play, A10 Tournament the NCAA Tournament and winning games in the NCAA Tournament.

If we keep going to the NCAA tournament and winning games in it, winning the PC game loses relevance. Which was a better result last year - URI losing at PC but winning an NCAA game OR PC beating URI for a 7th straight win but again losing another 1st round NCAA game? I will take NCAA wins anytime.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Much better mascot

I personally strongly dislike this version of the Ram compared to the Rhody I grew up with. However, our "bad" Ram mascot is 1000X better than the Friar. Whoever designed and OK'd that thing should never work again.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:Much better mascot

I personally strongly dislike this version of the Ram compared to the Rhody I grew up with. However, our "bad" Ram mascot is 1000X better than the Friar. Whoever designed and OK'd that thing should never work again.

Totally agree. That Friar is one scary looking guy.
They've had some odd mascots through the years. Friar Roy was their best. We all know what happened to him
Still trying to figure out the Dalmatian.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we were the ones to have beaten PC 7 straight times, we all 100% would talk about it any time we could. That is a fact. Beat them to shut everyone up. Until then people will continue to talk about it and I can't blame them one bit cus I (along with 99% of other posters) would do the same.
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm not sure how they'll group teams for the NIT Tip-Off, but, with Angel Delgado back for Seton Hall, they look to be the best of the four (Virginia, Vanderbilt).

Last year, Temple played FSU, and Illinois played West Virginia.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote:If we were the ones to have beaten PC 7 straight times, we all 100% would talk about it any time we could. That is a fact. Beat them to shut everyone up. Until then people will continue to talk about it and I can't blame them one bit cus I (along with 99% of other posters) would do the same.
We are fans. Yes, If we beat them 7 straight times, of course we'd be talking shit. They have the right to talk shit now. Koch is a journalist, not a fan. Everyone knows about the 7 game streak. He doesn't have to bring it up in every post and article he writes about us and them.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:If we were the ones to have beaten PC 7 straight times, we all 100% would talk about it any time we could. That is a fact. Beat them to shut everyone up. Until then people will continue to talk about it and I can't blame them one bit cus I (along with 99% of other posters) would do the same.
He was talking about the 7 game streak AFTER the PC game, in article about a following game.
No need to keep harping on it. Even now when talking about next Decembers game being announced it has to be mentioned in a tweet yet again. It's weird.
As ed Cooley himself says it's only another game on the schedule and it's not a rivalry.
Let it go people.
Conference is much more important as this season showed
If we lose to PC at home this year we lose at home and move on to the next game.
I used to be crazy about this game but no more. I still go home and away but it's just another game that I try to temper. It's way overblown.
0 x