Insensitivity of the BE Catholics

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Insensitivity of the BE Catholics

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Insensitivity of the BE Catholics

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The article is a joke ... I can't believe URI played a game after such a tragedy as well.

Look, we all feel awful about what happened. But the world doesn't stop unfortunately because of such events. I wish it did so we could stop and mourn with those who suffered, but it doesn't. People still go to work, run a business, or play/spectate sporting events. Is it classless for those who had games yesterday? No. Just like we all kept working on Friday after word got out (at least most of us).

God bless all the young children who suffered from this heinous act.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Good fro Mark Baldschun.
He makes a lot of valid points.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:The article is a joke ... I can't believe URI played a game after such a tragedy as well.

Look, we all feel awful about what happened. But the world doesn't stop unfortunately because of such events. I wish it did so we could stop and mourn with those who suffered, but it doesn't. People still go to work, run a business, or play/spectate sporting events. Is it classless for those who had games yesterday? No. Just like we all kept working on Friday after word got out (at least most of us).

Little bit different set of circumstances with a game that had been scheduled months in advance along with a team that had traveled 1500+ miles for the meeting.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:The article is a joke ... I can't believe URI played a game after such a tragedy as well.

Little bit different set of circumstances with a game that had been scheduled months in advance along with a team that had traveled 1500+ miles for the meeting.
Right because that URI/SMU game was so important in the scheme of things.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:

I was just blowing smoke. I have no problem with the games being played, just like I don't have a problem with a business decision being made. It's truly tragic what had happened, but it's not like the C7 just got up and decided to do this. This had been in motion for weeks. The country should stop and mourn, but it doesn't. It's more of a societal problem than it is anything else, can't blame the 7 schools any more than you can blame anyone else who continued to conduct business/press conferences after this event. You don't hear anyone crushing the NHL for lockout press conferences... Our corporate headquarters for work is located in CT. We had workers with family involved in this tragedy, yet we didn't close down here in RI, or anywhere else because of it. That's more my point.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Brutus wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Right because that URI/SMU game was so important in the scheme of things.
Well canceling or postponing the game would have lead to tangible loss from both URI and SMU.

If the ex-Big East teams waited until Wednesday, what would have been lost?
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

You're not really going to go with that pitiful excuse are you, Ed? If so you should be embarrassed.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This conversation is dumb. What happened in CT was an unthinkable tragedy, but the world keeps spinning. I don't believe in canceling life when tragic events happen. If you have been personally effected, society will understand that you need some time, but everyone else has to keep moving.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I join with TP.....an unthinkable tragedy....but what is the rest of society to do ?

I don't agree with the writers premise....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Brutus wrote:You're not really going to go with that pitiful excuse are you, Ed? If so you should be embarrassed.
So there is no tangible loss by waiting to announce, correct?
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I thought Blaudschun made an excellent point and was classy.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I had thought this...but I thought I was just being biased because of the situation. I'm happy to find out others thought this way too.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Obadiah wrote:I thought Blaudschun made an excellent point and was classy.
What a surprise.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There are some who think in classy terms and then there are those like you. And that comes as no surprise either.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Again, who cares?

The school AD's had a conference call Saturday morning. It was at that point after weeks of talking that it was time to end the talks and just get it done.

Rather than live with speculation, they threw together a quick little presser to formally announce their intentions, rather than have the story broken by someone who knew someone who knew the son of a guy who dated the daughter of a man who was best friends with the AD of DePaul.

Is it really that big of a deal?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In your mind, obviously not a big deal, but it is thoughtlessness on the part of Presidents who in many cases are clerics and who should have aspirations to higher values. In the final analysis this is not about conferences or basketball, but about money and the ultimate worship of it. Even Saturday Night Live dispensed with their usual comedic opening to honor the victims of Newtown, but the Catholic Seven could not postpone their announcement until Monday?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote:In your mind, obviously not a big deal, but it is thoughtlessness on the part of Presidents who in many cases are clerics and who should have aspirations to higher values. In the final analysis this is not about conferences or basketball, but about money and the ultimate worship of it. Even Saturday Night Live dispensed with their usual comedic opening to honor the victims of Newtown, but the Catholic Seven could not postpone their announcement until Monday?
So did your job let you leave as soon as everyone heard about the tragedy?

Did the NHL have a problem fighting over their negotiations and talk publicly about decertification all weekend? Where is the outrage there?

This is a terrible tragedy, but like one of you guys said, the world doesn't stop spinning. Businesses kept going, people kept working, those who weren't working were probably going to the Ryan Center to catch a URI game or some other arena, bar, or theater across the country.

That's why I don't think it was that big of a deal. But to each their own. Many of the people complaining about the C7 and how insensitive they are, are also probably the ones who flipped to NBC Sports to keep watching the Patriots instead of the President's address. Oh well...
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In the end you are entitled to your view that it was not a big deal. It does reflect what you value.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

BTW, superfly, I went over to the PC board to see if I could get the gist of your thinking on other subjects. Man, you are one mean dude and you never have anything nice to say about URI. Now with that perspective, I fully understand why you are on this board and posting the way you do.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote:BTW, superfly, I went over to the PC board to see if I could get the gist of your thinking on other subjects. Man, you are one mean dude and you never have anything nice to say about URI. Now with that perspective, I fully understand why you are on this board and posting the way you do.
You sure you don't have me confused with someone else? Oh well, can't win them all.
0 x
Jks1985
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Jks1985 »

This guy will find anything he can to criticize the "catholic 7" about. Just sounds like a bitter Uconn fan mad that they will be left in the dust.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Jks1985 wrote:This guy will find anything he can to criticize the "catholic 7" about. Just sounds like a bitter Uconn fan mad that they will be left in the dust.
RF1 has always been very bitter towards PC. If he saw Coach Cooley step on an ant he'd report how heartless those PC bastards are.

TruePoint's post was correct and showed he looks at things like an adult and not like a bitter jealous child(BAR, Obadiah, RF1...).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Get the hell off our board, troll.
Go bother your fellow elitists on your own board.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

rodfromcranston wrote:Get the hell off our board, troll.
Go bother your fellow elitists on your own board.
Merry Christmas, Rod.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I dont understand why we alow them to post here. Ruins the board.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

getting called out by the basement dweller Brutal is a great start to the week. go away clown, you must have something else to do besides troll the message board of another team. its funny that we never hear a fellow friar fan like sean even try to associate himself with your opinions....your own fellow fans think you are a loser.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brutus wrote:
Jks1985 wrote:This guy will find anything he can to criticize the "catholic 7" about. Just sounds like a bitter Uconn fan mad that they will be left in the dust.
RF1 has always been very bitter towards PC. If he saw Coach Cooley step on an ant he'd report how heartless those PC bastards are.
Where are my bitter comments in this thread. All I did was merely post what Blaudschun wrote. If you have issues (and I think it is abundantly clear on numerous levels that you have many), take it up with him.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

RF1 wrote:
Brutus wrote:
Where are my bitter comments in this thread. All I did was merely post what Blaudschun wrote. If you have issues (and I think it is abundantly clear on numerous levels that you have many), take it up with him.
Imagine RF1 he wrote that article on Saturday. How thoughtless and classless was that? He wrote an article the day after that tragedy. Just heartless.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bigappleram wrote:getting called out by the basement dweller Brutal is a great start to the week. go away clown, you must have something else to do besides troll the message board of another team. its funny that we never hear a fellow friar fan like sean even try to associate himself with your opinions....your own fellow fans think you are a loser.
BAR, I wish URI nothing but the best especially for the good fans on this board who are intelligent and show no animosity towards PC. But it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed and such a character as yourself, is getting what you wished for.

Good day.
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

Very clear to all that the only real child like & shoddy behavior on this board is by PC interlopers who come here just to disrupt. This from the fans of a school that cannot even do its duty to the City of Providence as the other finer institutions in the city have done.

The apple does not fall far from the tree.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Issac wrote:Very clear to all that the only real child like & shoddy behavior on this board is by PC interlopers who come here just to disrupt. This from the fans of a school that cannot even do its duty to the City of Providence as the other finer institutions in the city have done.

Good afternoon, Issac and Merry Christmas!
0 x
bkrichmond

Unread post by bkrichmond »

Brutus wrote:
Issac wrote:Very clear to all that the only real child like & shoddy behavior on this board is by PC interlopers who come here just to disrupt. This from the fans of a school that cannot even do its duty to the City of Providence as the other finer institutions in the city have done.

Brutus, this is why people want to ban you. Open sarcasm and condescending behavior that doesn't add to the basketball discussion usually isn't met with much favor.

The A-10 is far from doomed. It stood to be a much improved league with Butler and VCU, but the net end of this current realignment phase amounts to adding VCU and losing Xavier, Dayton and St. Louis. If the league can add some other solid programs like George Mason, Drexel, Old Dominion or someone in that class, it'll remain on solid footing.

Bottom line is every league in the country left out of the football cash grab is going to be playing catch-up, and that includes the Catholic 7 plus whoever else they invite. You can't match what will be hundreds of millions of dollars coming from the television deal that the Alabamas, USCs and Floridas are about to share.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bkrichmond wrote:
Brutus wrote:

Brutus, this is why people want to ban you. Open sarcasm and condescending behavior that doesn't add to the basketball discussion usually isn't met with much favor.

The A-10 is far from doomed. It stood to be a much improved league with Butler and VCU, but the net end of this current realignment phase amounts to adding VCU and losing Xavier, Dayton and St. Louis. If the league can add some other solid programs like George Mason, Drexel, Old Dominion or someone in that class, it'll remain on solid footing.

Bottom line is every league in the country left out of the football cash grab is going to be playing catch-up, and that includes the Catholic 7 plus whoever else they invite. You can't match what will be hundreds of millions of dollars coming from the television deal that the Alabamas, USCs and Floridas are about to share.
Don't have to match what the BCS schools make from television because no school in the new conference has a BCS football team. Get it?
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

What you don't get in your density is that the BCS football money will help all their athletics programs including basketball. You get a windfall from basketball, they get it from both. Now do you get it or are you that dense.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Issac wrote:What you don't get in your density is that the BCS football money will help all their athletics programs including basketball. You get a windfall from basketball, they get it from both. Now do you get it or are you that dense.
That may be the stupidist post I've read here, but coming from you, it's expected.
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

What's stupid about it? Or are you your usual inarticulate self.
0 x
bkrichmond

When all this shakes out, the football schools who participate in the playoff system -- the new BCS, for lack of a better term -- are going to be sharing in hundreds of millions of dollars that conferences like the Catholic 7 won't be able to access. The basketball money will still be shared, but that football money will be exempt and even more plentiful. It's exactly what they want to happen.

The Big East as currently constituted gives no football money to the basketball schools. That football money is about to explode -- if they're sharing $20 million now, let's say, it'll be far more than that once realignment is complete and a playoff football contract is signed with multiple networks.

The NCAA Tournament's current TV package is about $11 billion. You don't think a football playoff -- money exempt to the football schools only, unavailable to basketball schools -- won't be at least half that total? That's a very conservative estimate, and it's only going to be split among about 60-70 schools instead of 340. Do the math. The financial windfall is astronomical.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Issac wrote:What's stupid about it? Or are you your usual inarticulate self.
Who cares about BCS football money? The bball schools in the Big East never received a PENNY from the football tv contract. All they are looking to do is to make close to what they made in the Big East from the basketball tv contract. And most pundents think they will. But I'll give you some inside info Issac, weeks ago media outlets were approached by the BE7 to gauge what they could possibly expect in a deal, and let's just say it'll be business as usual. Come in, we're open!
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bkrichmond wrote:When all this shakes out, the football schools who participate in the playoff system -- the new BCS, for lack of a better term -- are going to be sharing in hundreds of millions of dollars that conferences like the Catholic 7 won't be able to access. The basketball money will still be shared, but that football money will be exempt and even more plentiful. It's exactly what they want to happen.

The Big East as currently constituted gives no football money to the basketball schools. That football money is about to explode -- if they're sharing $20 million now, let's say, it'll be far more than that once realignment is complete and a playoff football contract is signed with multiple networks.

The NCAA Tournament's current TV package is about $11 billion. You don't think a football playoff -- money exempt to the football schools only, unavailable to basketball schools -- won't be at least half that total? That's a very conservative estimate, and it's only going to be split among about 60-70 schools instead of 340. Do the math. The financial windfall is astronomical.
Tell me you're not serious? Well Issac you now have a challenger.
0 x
bkrichmond

Brutus wrote:
Issac wrote:What's stupid about it? Or are you your usual inarticulate self.
Who cares about BCS football money? The bball schools in the Big East never received a PENNY from the football tv contract. All they are looking to do is to make close to what they made in the Big East from the basketball tv contract. And most pundents think they will. But I'll give you some inside info Issac, weeks ago media outlets were approached by the BE7 to gauge what they could possibly expect in a deal, and let's just say it'll be business as usual. Come in, we're open!
Again, you miss the point. This is going to be an additional revenue stream that the basketball schools will not have. It's going to allow the football schools to pay higher salaries for coaches, improve facilities without hesitation, etc. It's going to fuel entire athletic programs, not just football or basketball programs.

Also, the Catholic 7's television leverage -- no matter who they add -- isn't the same without schools like Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia, etc. who have all had NCAA Tournament success and have great fan bases. It'll still be a solid league. It just won't be a power conference anymore.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Brutus, there is no way that you don't understand the point about BCS football and its economic impact in college athletics. For a long time and up until very recently, the best programs in your league have been propped up by the money generated by their football programs. Im not even understanding your perspective here. Our perspective has been that the emergence of the new catholic league is a tough break for us (which it is), but the rest of basketball world understands that it isn't exactly a triumphant day for current Big East members, either. You C7 schools have gone from the top basketball league in the country to the top mid-major basketball league in the country. You're the new A10 - the conference you and your fellow PC fans have ragged on for years. I don't understand the seemingly blind arrogance you're demonstrating here. If you're really this happy about everything that's gone on then you would have to be more anti-URI than a fan of PC.

If you have a different perspective on that which you would like to explain rationally and in a non-confrontational manner, please do so. But I would pick your next words carefully. Everything you have said here lately has been argumentative and confrontational, and many longtime contributors to this community would rather see you gone. My preference would be to allow for diversity of opinion on the board, but you are functionally a guest here and I think you should take that into consideration when you post. A guest that insults his hosts and takes advantage of their hospitality becomes an unwelcome pest.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bk, I know what you're saying, but I also know what's being planned and offered and you'll be surprised. That's what kills me with some over here, you're just praying this new conference will be a failure so naturally they won't get good tv deals, and will be nothing more than a mid major, but I'm telling you the new conference is: OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!!
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

TruePoint wrote:Brutus, there is no way that you don't understand the point about BCS football and its economic impact in college athletics. For a long time and up until very recently, the best programs in your league have been propped up by the money generated by their football programs. Im not even understanding your perspective here. Our perspective has been that the emergence of the new catholic league is a tough break for us (which it is), but the rest of basketball world understands that it isn't exactly a triumphant day for current Big East members, either. You C7 schools have gone from the top basketball league in the country to the top mid-major basketball league in the country. You're the new A10 - the conference you and your fellow PC fans have ragged on for years. I don't understand the seemingly blind arrogance you're demonstrating here. If you're really this happy about everything that's gone on then you would have to be more anti-URI than a fan of PC.

If you have a different perspective on that which you would like to explain rationally and in a non-confrontational manner, please do so. But I would pick your next words carefully. Everything you have said here lately has been argumentative and confrontational, and many longtime contributors to this community would rather see you gone. My preference would be to allow for diversity of opinion on the board, but you are functionally a guest here and I think you should take that into consideration when you post. A guest that insults his hosts and takes advantage of their hospitality becomes an unwelcome pest.
TP, I keep hearing I insult others, so please could you point out these insults to me?

BTW, your posters have called me names, put down my school and the conference they play in, but that doesn't seem to bother you. All I know is as a host, if you were in my home, I'd be cordial to you.
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

What a weak response. Let me give some real facts, not opinion. College Athletics is currently racked by what is called the "arms race", the continuous building of new and better facilities for all sports and all the BCS schools with their football money (not just TV) are in the lead. First it was the basketball arena that got upgraded, then the game moved to weight facilities, now it's moved to elaborate and separate BB practice facilities. UConn, for example, is planning a $30 million BB practice facility. The BE7 has to compete with all these FBS football schools in basketball today and in the future. How do these BE7 schools do that on a consistent basis given this "arms race".

Apart from the rather small arenas at Villanova and St. John's, who in the BE7 has made an investment in facilities even at the level of Gonzaga? And if you can't keep up on the basic facilities investment (arena), how do manage the newer ones??? And being "open for business" statement is a weak response and it doesn't cut it in the future.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I only have to go back a handful of posts to find you calling people stupid. And sometimes that can be OK if its warranted, but when you do it instead of rebutting a pretty reasonable post with an actual counter argument then you're basically trolling. And that's been pretty standard operating procedure for you since you've gotten here. If you want to be the voice for what you feel is an underrepresented perspective, you're welcome to have at it. If you're needlessly argumentative, you're gone.

The fact that this is not the first post I've had to write explaining to you what is acceptable behavior and what you need to do to stay on the board is a problem. I'm not going to do it again.
0 x
bkrichmond

"In April of 2011, former Big East commissioner John Marinatto recommended the Big East accept a nine-year deal from ESPN worth $1.17 billion, an average of $130 million annually. That deal would have earned full members $13.8 million a year and non-football members $2.43 million a year. However, the league's presidents voted to turn it down."

This is quoted from an October story by Brett McMurphy on ESPN.com. The football schools were going to enjoy an $11 million annual advantage compared to the basketball schools, and that's under the current BCS system. A true playoff system will increase that number going to the football schools, and their withdrawal makes the basketball schools less valuable. A basketball conference without Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, etc., simply isn't as valuable.

The football schools, by contrast, will be splitting more money among fewer shareholders. Throw out South Florida, Connecticut and Cincinnati and those football schools would have split an addition $30 million. That's $6 million per school to do what they please, and that doesn't even include what a new television contract will yield the football schools under the true playoff system. That number could double or even triple. The schools can then take that cash and put it anywhere in their athletic departments. They could up their head basketball salary by millions and still have a huge percentage of the money remaining.

That's the danger of this realignment to the smaller, basketball-only schools. The revenue gap is only going to widen.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

TruePoint wrote:I only have to go back a handful of posts to find you calling people stupid. And sometimes that can be OK if its warranted, but when you do it instead of rebutting a pretty reasonable post with an actual counter argument then you're basically trolling. And that's been pretty standard operating procedure for you since you've gotten here. If you want to be the voice for what you feel is an underrepresented perspective, you're welcome to have at it. If you're needlessly argumentative, you're gone.

The fact that this is not the first post I've had to write explaining to you what is acceptable behavior and what you need to do to stay on the board is a problem. I'm not going to do it again.
Please TP, remarking about a statement being stupid doesn't make the poster who said it stupid. Please don't even try to compare the two. You find where I outright called another poster stupid, or made fun of their handle or URI.

BTW I couldn't help but notice how you totally ignored my comment about YOUR posters who have called me names(just look at BAR's posts to me), my school or the conference they will be playing in. I guess it's alright when it fits the agenda.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Brutus i will call you whatever i want, you are on my turf. The next time you see me care enough about anything to do with PC to post on their board will be the first time. If you don't want to be insulted then take your ball and go home, because just like in real life you have no friends here either. Its not coincidental that Sean is not treated or spoken to in the manner in which you are, and its also not a coincidence through all this that he hasn't lobbed in even 1 comment in your defense. I assume that means you are as well liked there as you are here. Must be sad. Go home troll.
0 x
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bigappleram wrote:Brutus i will call you whatever i want, you are on my turf. The next time you see me care enough about anything to do with PC to post on their board will be the first time. If you don't want to be insulted then take your ball and go home, because just like in real life you have no friends here either. Its not coincidental that Sean is not treated or spoken to in the manner in which you are, and its also not a coincidence through all this that he hasn't lobbed in even 1 comment in your defense. I assume that means you are as well liked there as you are here. Must be sad. Go home troll.
TP, I just want to show you that I no longer will become a party to posts like the one that one of your members just posted. You and ATP run a very nice messageboard here, and you both do a nice job with it. I wouldn't want to take the time to moderate any messageboard so kudos to you for taking on this task. It's much better than those old Projo boards.
0 x