TJ Buchanan

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

TJ Buchanan

Unread post by sf2010 »

I love what TJ brings to the table as an excellent on and off the ball defender, plus solid rebounding skills for a guard and all-around hustle and energy. It's no secret that the reason he doesn't see more PT is his lack of offensive skills and ability to knock down open shots.

I think he should shoot 200 3's a day in the gym and not worry about any other aspect of his offensive game. I don't think his offensive ceiling is anything above a 4th scoring option on the floor, but we don't need him to be anything more than that with what he brings on the defensive side of the ball. Being able to provide 15-20 minutes off the bench of solid defense and merely being a threat to knock down a 3 at a 35% clip would fill a need. Best case scenario, a Bruce Bowen or (more recently) Thabo Sefolosha type who are absolute shut-down perimeter defenders who on offense hang around the 3-pt line and run off the occasional screen to get open and provide a fall-back option in case nothing happens in the flow of the offense for the primary scorers.

With our incoming talent at the guard/small forward spots it is possible that he could get squeezed out of the rotation, but this is one way for him to make sure that he's still a valuable member of this team during his junior and senior seasons.
Last edited by sf2010 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: TJ Buchanan

Unread post by Ramulous »

TJ is not 100% healthy in my opinion.....I noted that watching him run into the runway at the completion of the game..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sorry, but TJ is shooting exactly 10% so far.
That's just not acceptable.
He hustles and plays defense, but so does
Powell and Munford, who play well on both sides
of the ball.
TJ is far too one dimensional. I'm sure his injury has something to
do with this, but 10%?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

He a good guy to be able to bring in and give Powell a breather and he's able to run the point effectively
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think much of the intial post was about next season.
With Matthews, Minnis and Powell at point, TJ's not spelling any of them.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

That was the sentiment exactly, Rod. Personally, I haven't seen any notable ability from TJ to handle the ball (much rather have Munford there if Powell is out), and I don't think he should waste any energy trying to develop that part of his game too deeply given what the team needs will be going forward. There is always room for lock-down defending, which he provides, and outside shooting, which he may be able to develop if he puts the work in.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought TJ would be more of a contributor, her needs to do better
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

While he certainly isn't the next steve Kerr, I think 10% has to be at least partially due to a small sample size. The more attempts he has, the closer his percentage will get to respectable, even if it ends up on the lower end of that spectrum.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

20 minutes Saturday. 0-2.
When he's in, it's 4 on 5 on offense.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Yeah, but locking down a scorer or causing turnovers that lead to points on the other end certainly have value. It would be nice if he could pull down some rebounds as we obviously need to team rebound.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I see a more defined, well-suited role for him next year. This season is tougher- not much offense coming off the bench from anyone in TJ, Bigby, or Brooks. Aaman will find his moments.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

asking him to be a 35% three point shooter when munford is shooting 27% is ridiculous..you turn someone with his skills into a 35% 3 ball shooter overnight.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't think TJ is as bad as 10 percent from the field - small sample size - but I also don't think his peak is as a 35+ percent 3-point shooter either. At best, he's probably a good reserve guard, who can hit the open 15 to 20-footer enough to keep the defenses honest. Right now, his defense is pretty solid, but the offense definitely needs to catch up. I'm not sure if it's just rust because of injuries, or if he's just not a good offensive player.

I also worry that he might be another Jon Lucky. I have no idea how good Lucky really was, because he was constantly hurt. TJ missed time last year, IIRC, and this year as well. Next year, he needs to stay healthy the whole year, otherwise I don't think there is a chance he hits his peak potential as a senior.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm not really concerned about TJ. He's not a defensive liability. I think the offensive part of his game will develop as the season goes on. He's way behind the rest of the team in terms of development because of the injury. There are good point guards that aren't the biggest offensive threats. Rondo was never much of an offensive threat in his first few years with the Celtics, but he was great at creating opportunities for everyone else on the team. Now I'm not saying TJ is Rondo, but as long as TJ plays well on defense, doesn't turn the ball over and learns to distribute the ball well to his teammates I'll be perfectly happy with him as a point guard. He's a nice compliment to Powell. Powell is a smaller, quicker and currently more of a scorer. TJ is has more size, can't get bumped off the ball easily and is a force on defense. I like the one two punch Powell and TJ offer. It will be hard for teams to create a mismatch at the point guard position with these two on the team.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Does TJ Buchanan play pg anywhere other than this message board. I mean, am I missing it? He seems to play more of a small forward position than pg most of the time.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i agree with that, he has probably brought the ball up court and run the offense a total of 5 times in 2 years

he seems to lack confidence on the offensive end, and barely looks to be a threat. he does seem to be good enough off the dribble to try and get by people and get to the rim, but he rarely does. he is a good defender but i think that is overstated a bit here b/c we all like him. he is not a keith cothran type defender who disrupts an offense, he does move his feet well and have a good nose for the ball but he should be bringing more to the table. perhaps he is hurt, that would explain a lot.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He comes into the game to spell Powell.
When he does, he sometimes brings the ball up the court.
Usually Munford does, as he's a better handler.
Yes, he obviously lacks confidence, as he and Bigby often pass up wide open mid-range shots.
A lot will depend on who they bring in as the off guard, to succeed Munford.
If the guy is one of the three studs, we've heard mentioned, then
TJ's time could be even more impacted, next year.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The Dude wrote:I'm not really concerned about TJ. He's not a defensive liability. I think the offensive part of his game will develop as the season goes on. He's way behind the rest of the team in terms of development because of the injury. There are good point guards that aren't the biggest offensive threats. Rondo was never much of an offensive threat in his first few years with the Celtics, but he was great at creating opportunities for everyone else on the team. Now I'm not saying TJ is Rondo, but as long as TJ plays well on defense, doesn't turn the ball over and learns to distribute the ball well to his teammates I'll be perfectly happy with him as a point guard. He's a nice compliment to Powell. Powell is a smaller, quicker and currently more of a scorer. TJ is has more size, can't get bumped off the ball easily and is a force on defense. I like the one two punch Powell and TJ offer. It will be hard for teams to create a mismatch at the point guard position with these two on the team.
Eh, even when Rondo couldn't shoot AT ALL, like in his rookie year, he had enough foot speed and penetration skills to keep defenses relatively honest on him beyond the jumper. You couldn't leave Rondo alone because his athleticism was enough that he could finish at the rim at least. With TJ, he hasn't really shown much on offense, either from an ability to hit open shots or to get to the rim to draw fouls or get interior opportunities. He would need to take a quantum leap on the offensive end, or the incoming guys would have to be big disappointments, for me to believe that he's a starter in his junior or senior year.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

1st semester grade; B-, his defensive presence is the only thing that gets him into the B grade. His offense(or lack there of)in both shooting %, and inability to offer anything at the point is below where we need that coming off the bench role to be. Didn't Marquis go from scoring very little(in sharing the point with Stevie Mejia)to being a dependable shooter from 3??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

105, wish I had you as a prof.
Defense is only half of the game.
If you gave him an A for defense (which is a stretch)
and an F for offense, you'd get a C- or D.
The point is, none of your proposed improvements in his shooting will
happen this season.
Next year, Matthews, Minnis and Powell play point.
Munford and whoever they bring in, will play the SG, along with Minnis, who is 6'3" and
ruggedly built.
Frontcourt will be well populated with talented players.
So, what's TJ's role going forward?
I don't clearly see one.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I like his hustle, leadership and defense (and, yes, he's still hobbled). But his handle isn't good enough to play PG and he doesn't shoot well enough to play 2G. If he has a role on next year's team it might be at SF.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

deff a fill in player next season with less playing time, but if theres a spot I would take him again. Very efficient player although he doesnt score much
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

10% shooting isn't efficient.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote:1st semester grade; B-, his defensive presence is the only thing that gets him into the B grade. His offense(or lack there of)in both shooting %, and inability to offer anything at the point is below where we need that coming off the bench role to be. Didn't Marquis go from scoring very little(in sharing the point with Stevie Mejia)to being a dependable shooter from 3??
Yup. In my opinion TJ will improve as the season goes on. He needs to stay healthy. Then he'll be able to build some confidence. He may have a hard time finding a spot next year if he doesn't improve enough by the end of the season. On a positive note, he did have two points today. I think he'll come along slowly but steadily.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:10% shooting isn't efficient.
I meant turnover wise
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have a hard time projecting TJ to be anything more than a good defensive sub on an NCAA tournament team. I hope he proves me wrong, but there isn't much time left for him.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

If his role going forward is to play the off-guard and be a lock down defender, then maybe he can develop the spot up three pt shot. His create his own shot off dribble/penetrate/off pass is not there. Good shooters are born or made??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hey if he can play 8 mpg a game as a lock down defender on a great team I am all for it
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

TJ has played average defense at best this year. He was better defensively last year, so I would have to think his injuries are restricting his mobility.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote:I have a hard time projecting TJ to be anything more than a good defensive sub on an NCAA tournament team. I hope he proves me wrong, but there isn't much time left for him.
What's wrong with that? Somebody has to be that guy. It's an important role.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I haven't seen a lot of TJ that would make me believe he is the standout from last years group as Ramster was touting. I think he is a decent defender with a lot of hustle, but I cannot be convinced that you can make him into a scorer.
Last edited by RAM67 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Also not sure he's a lockdown defender, either.
He's OK, but I think there's a growing myth to compensate for his
total lack of offense.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Also not sure he's a lockdown defender, either.
He's OK, but I think there's a growing myth to compensate for his
total lack of offense.
This is pretty common in most sports, actually. Like the worse a catcher hits, he normally acquires a reputation for being good defensively.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i second that notion...i feel some here overstate his defensive presence. a true defensive presence fills the stat sheet with some or all of rebounds, steals, blocks and charges drawn. i dont think i have ever seen that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He went 2-2 tonight, a big improvement
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

SMU in 20 minutes
0-2 FG
0-1 3pt

GSU in 15 minutes
1-2 FG

SMU in 14 minutes
2-2 FG

It appears he's making slow progress after coming off his injury. I think he'll continue to improve as the season goes on.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

There's been several times this season where he's had wide open looks, and doesn't shoot. Almost looks scared... if you're open, shoot!
Liked his drives to the hoop yesterday, nice to see some offensive aggressiveness.
0 x
Go Rhody!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

he needs to go to the hoop more, he did it last night. him and malone are not aggressive enough on the offensive end. they both seem to have the athletic ability to get by people and hit a 10 footer, yet they never try to. andre goes away for large stretches of play on the offensive end way too often, and in fact he has one of the prettiest strokes on our team.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

TJ Stat Update (Brown Game):
1-3 FG
0-0 3pt
3-4 Free Throws
6 Rebounds
2 Assists
1 Turnover

5 Points

Seems to me TJ's slowly continuing to improve each game.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Aggressiveness is the number one improvement he could make,I saw him make a sweet crossover a few time and finished at the basket. He makes jump shots and plays good d
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Aggressiveness is the number one improvement he could make,I saw him make a sweet crossover a few time and finished at the basket. He makes jump shots and plays good d
With his size, he should go to the basket more.
Rhodymob05 wrote:Aggressiveness is the number one improvement he could make,I saw him make a sweet crossover a few time and finished at the basket. He makes jump shots and plays good d
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Going back to Andrew's point, TJ did play well on Saturday, but there were still times that he refused to take wide open mid range jump shots. Your only going to get confident by making a couple.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

neil wrote:Going back to Andrew's point, TJ did play well on Saturday, but there were still times that he refused to take wide open mid range jump shots. Your only going to get confident by making a couple.
As much as that sucks that he isn't taking open shots...it could be that he's falling into a role. We don't have NBA talent right now, and the talent we have is overachieving because of our coach.

Everyone on your team isn't going to be good at shooting, but a huge part of maturity in any aspect of life is understanding what you do well, and what you don't. He's helping this team as a solid on and off ball defender and distributor.

Of course I'd rather him be able to take and hit open shots, but if I had wheels I'd be a wagon. I like that he's playing within himself and helping us win.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I thought it was TJ who in the Brown game took 2 shots in succession with the shot clock expiring and neither hit the rim. I hope TJ improves, but his shooting is so bad that defenders can slack off him to help out defending others. Thus when TJ is in the game, it reduces our offensive options by two. He needs to develop some scoring threat to keep the defense honest. Unless there is significant improvement, his minutes will shrink substantially next season. He is benefiting from a short bench this season.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

I agree with Blue Man. TJ appears to be playing within his comfort zone right now. He doesn't appear to be trying to do too much. Players can build confidence from a number of things in a game. You can gain confidence by playing good defense or by contributing to the team in other areas. The confidence from other aspects of a person's game can slowly help a person to take steps towards becoming more confident on offense. In my opinion, TJ seems to be taking things one step at a time. One of the most difficult things to do is to regain confidence in your body...meaning when you come off an injury. TJ was injured for a good portion of the beginning of the season. His first couple games back you could tell by the way he was moving (somewhat awkwardly) that he wasn't 100% but was good enough to eat up some minutes.
Soccer and Basketball are very different sports, but both require quick foot movement and they're demanding on the lower body, if you consider all the cuts, fast breaks and side-to-side lateral movement they require. I've been playing indoor soccer with a bum ankle that I rolled a couple weeks ago. I played last night and had one assist. I typically average 3 goals when healthy. The point is even if you're healthy enough to play it takes even longer for the mind to get comfortable (so a person no longer thinks they are going to re-injure it). Until then people tend to move a little differently, or favor the formally injured area, or have a so called "hitch in their giddy up".
After watching TJ play with the team last year and after watching the games this season, it looked to me like he was moving more fluidly on the court during the Brown game, which is generally a sign of a person no longer thinking about their body or injury and simply moving and reacting like a healthy person. In the games prior, it appeared to me that his stride was slightly awkward. This is my take on things.
I see TJ improving throughout the season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

anybody notice this?
TJ started the season off 0-5 on 3 point shots.
He has now hit 6 of his last 11
TJ now leads the team in 3 point percentage at 37.5%
Hope he stays hot as we need him strong against Duquesne and Xavier
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TJ hits 2-2 on three's last night against Duquesne
He is now 8 for his last 13
Having missed his first 5 of the season TJ's totals are 8 for 18 = 44.4% and leads the Rams in 3 point percentage
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Nice to see the growth, contiuned work on 3 pt shot, hopefully he can stay healthy, he does seem to have these being nicked up issues...no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I know he came back in the game, but in today's paper he was quoted that he heard something pop in his knee. I'm guessing they will take a closer look at it today. Hopefully, he is ready to go on Wednesday.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like TJ is coming along fine, that is great news for URI
0 x