Andre Berry looking Good

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Andre Berry looking Good

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wow, it looks like Andre has really slimmed down. Could he be a bigger contributor than we expect this year?

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Andre Berry

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Good lord, URI basketball needs to put out workout videos all of us can follow. Great results. Clearly they have a very good plan for him and he's done a great job of putting in the work.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great news!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Wow, it looks like Andre has really slimmed down. Could he be a bigger contributor than we expect this year?

You beat me to it Billyboy, that was my first thought when I saw this to. It was immediately noticeable.

Always love seeing the team doing this kind of stuff in schools to.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

That's amazing, he must have lost 40lbs... That would be huge if he were to give us solid minutes with scoring ability in the post... Next year is gonna be fun!!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We expect?

There is a small Berry camp that notices all the same things about Berry and really likes him.

Then there is a camp that wonders if Berry can keep a scholarship

I love Berry. Maybe double since Earl is gone and the freshmen haven't played yet.

IDK how kids out of high school at this level will oust a guy like Berry that is already got a jump on manhood. Plus his skills.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:We expect?

There is a small Berry camp that notices all the same things about Berry and really likes him.

I love Berry. Maybe double since Earl is gone and the freshmen haven't played yet.

IDK how kids out of high school at this level will oust a guy like Berry that is already got a jump on manhood. Plus his skills.
I'm not sure what expectations are/were. I figured maybe 10-12 solid minutes off the bench. You're right, he does have skills. Since he looks to be getting into good shape, maybe he gives more than that.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Wow!! he looks like he's in better shape than ARD in this photo. My personal feeling is he has the tools/skills to get us around 8pts and 6r per game this year. Kid's got great hands and keeps the ball high, an easy 4pts per game just on put backs/tips.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

amazing - i remember hurley personally challenging him and bringing it up during one of his interviews
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If he shows he can run and jump at a normal level for a college player after he sheds those pounds, then he could really be a force. I think he has the best hands on the team right now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Andre has been on a continuous weight reduction and fitness improvement path since arrived here last summer.
Credit of course goes to Andre for sure, but also to the entire URI staff especially to the training staff.
Andre came in somewhat similar to Quad at PC, signed at about the same time. Quad was the same size when he just departed recently.
How much of this is the individual and how much is the Team Staff? Don't know exactly but we do know the results are amazing!!
Great too that Andre is then telling his story on the road like this. I would have loved to have been in attendance just to get some advice myself from these guys.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I really want Andre to succeed - what a great story!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Good for him. Not sure how he fits next season. But good for his overall health if nothing else.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: Andre Berry looking Good

Unread post by Ramulous »

Thank the mods for changing the thread title !!!!!!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramulous wrote:Thank the mods for changing the thread title !!!!!!
That's why we make the big bucks
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Good for Andre!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Praise the mods
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Someone needs to replace the minutes from Earl Watson. Its alot to ask of any freshman so I think Andre will play a bigger role than most are expecting, especially if/when Has has trouble staying on the floor.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think it's great he's losing weight and getting in shape, but he's not that big anymore. Imagine Berry with his current weight matched up against the big dude from UMASS? He's gonna get crushed, unless hes on some Arnold workout routine.
0 x
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I think it's great he's losing weight and getting in shape, but he's not that big anymore. Imagine Berry with his current weight matched up against the big dude from UMASS? He's gonna get crushed, unless hes on some Arnold workout routine.
Would rather have Andre at an in-shape 250-260 than an overweight 290. The one matchup you mention is literally the only one out of 30+ games where it could maybe have a negative impact. And even in that case, I would argue that a better-conditioned Andre is more effective than a more poorly-conditioned Andre who simply has more mass.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I'm one of those in the wondering if he can keep a scholarship camp but of course I wouldn't be upset if he proved me completely wrong.

I think it's great he's losing all this weight but ultimately how athletic is he? With Earl you could tell that for a big guy he was still fairly athletic but I'm not sure Berry's the same. We saw one great game from Berry against a team that probably wasn't prepared for him so it's too early to say that game was a fluke but I also think it's too early to expect Berry to have any more games like that.

Also one of the things to remember is that we were one of the only teams looking at Berry and we were in desperate need of a big. From the video of his juco play is was clear he has very good hands and nice moves but was overweight. It's possible no other teams were interested due to his lack of athleticism. It's also possible teams weren't interested due to his weight so hopefully we end up getting a diamond in the rough with Berry.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very good news indeed. He will contribute
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

was Larry Bird a great athlete? More athletic than the average person sure, but how athletic compared to Pro ballers? Yet roundly considered one of the best basketball players ever. And stop! any of you who even has a notion to claim I'm comparing Berry to Bird, I'm not. Berry is skilled around the basket, having a soft touch doesn't make a player soft, and if the only thing that comes of Berry's getting into better shape is better endurance, it will still help the team greatly.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
I'm one of those in the wondering if he can keep a scholarship camp but of course I wouldn't be upset if he proved me completely wrong.
I think it's great he's losing all this weight but ultimately how athletic is he? With Earl you could tell that for a big guy he was still fairly athletic but I'm not sure Berry's the same. We saw one great game from Berry against a team that probably wasn't prepared for him so it's too early to say that game was a fluke but I also think it's too early to expect Berry to have any more games like that.
Also one of the things to remember is that we were one of the only teams looking at Berry and we were in desperate need of a big. From the video of his juco play is was clear he has very good hands and nice moves but was overweight. It's possible no other teams were interested due to his lack of athleticism. It's also possible teams weren't interested due to his weight so hopefully we end up getting a diamond in the rough with Berry.
Some additional thoughts....
I don't think Dan Hurley, Daniel Marshall and Antonio Reynolds Dean would be continuing to drive Andre to lose weight. Andre began losing weight upon arrival in Kingston and his fitness improvement drive has continued. They are not worried that it might turn him into a less effective player but just the opposite. So I trust the staff on this.

Berry has soft hands but he also plays physically, especially on the offensive boards. He gains good position and his excellent basketball instincts. He has good inside moves, good faking ability and he keeps the ball elevated upon gaining a rebounding

He had several good games last year:
Of course the first one was incredible against Brown at Brown. 8 minutes, 3-3 FG, 7 points, 3 rebounds and 2 were offensive.
then back to back games:
At Dayton was amazing: 13 minutes, 7-7 FG, 15 points, 3 rebounds and 2 were offensive.
UMASS was strong: 13 minutes, 4-6 FG, 10 points, 6 rebounds and 2 were offensive.

Explosiveness and effectiveness tends to come to mind with Andre, consider this stat line:
In an 80-71 loss to Otero in JC Andre came off the bench:
14 minutes, 8-9 FG, 29 points, 13-16 FTs, 7 rebounds and 2 were offensive.

Andre will be a Junior this year. I don't think he will regress from the weight loss but in fact improve and could possibly be the first big man off the bench. I also love that he came from St Andrew's and the St Andrew's Coaching Staff and the St Andrew's players can see what URI Coaching Staff and Andre himself have done to improve his game. All in all a great story and one that could have some very nice chapters added to the book during the next two seasons.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I heard 50 pounds.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Since when? When he got here or 50 more pounds since the end of the season?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Since end of season.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

WOW, that's amazing. He must be down about 100 pounds total since he got here. I mean nevermind helping us out on the basketball court, though he should be able to do that even more now, that's the kind of thing that could really help him his whole life.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'vE lost 30 pounds since April so it's certainly possible.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

How will he play at the lower weight? More importantly, he is a more healthy person. Don't expect too much too soon. This may be one step backwards in order to make an eventual major improvement to his game.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Berry should have more stamina with less bulk. Good for him. As for Larry Bird, he had incredible hand-eye coordination, which is far more important than dunking.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If there are concerns that Berry will not be as effective at his lower weight - then that is the same as saying by gaining weight he would make himself more effective. No way can the increased weight translate into better basketball.
Will be most interesting to watch him run the floor this year and see how his stamina has improved.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
I don't think Dan Hurley, Daniel Marshall and Antonio Reynolds Dean would be continuing to drive Andre to lose weight. Andre began losing weight upon arrival in Kingston and his fitness improvement drive has continued. They are not worried that it might turn him into a less effective player but just the opposite. So I trust the staff on this.

Berry has soft hands but he also plays physically, especially on the offensive boards. He gains good position and his excellent basketball instincts. He has good inside moves, good faking ability and he keeps the ball elevated upon gaining a rebounding

Of course the first one was incredible against Brown at Brown. 8 minutes, 3-3 FG, 7 points, 3 rebounds and 2 were offensive.
then back to back games:
At Dayton was amazing: 13 minutes, 7-7 FG, 15 points, 3 rebounds and 2 were offensive.
UMASS was strong: 13 minutes, 4-6 FG, 10 points, 6 rebounds and 2 were offensive.

Explosiveness and effectiveness tends to come to mind with Andre, consider this stat line:

Andre will be a Junior this year. I don't think he will regress from the weight loss but in fact improve and could possibly be the first big man off the bench. I also love that he came from St Andrew's and the St Andrew's Coaching Staff and the St Andrew's players can see what URI Coaching Staff and Andre himself have done to improve his game. All in all a great story and one that could have some very nice chapters added to the book during the next two seasons.
Good points, I hope you're right.

I'm not concerned about him regressing due to weight loss. I'm more concerned, as I said before, about his overall athleticism. This year he didn't play much because I'm assuming Hurley felt like he was a defensive liability. We all know how much Hurley values defense so I'm not sure how much the weight loss will help Berry defensively. Obviously he should be quicker than before but ultimately how much quicker will he get and will he be able to defend well enough for Hurley to give him playing time?

Also you mention Hurley, Marshall, and ARD continuing to drive Berry to lose weight but what else would they be doing? Hurley was the one who decided to give Berry a scholarship so I'd hope he would continue to push Berry to reach his ceiling but who knows what Berry's ceiling actually is.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Berry's defensive ability, I don't think it would get worse by slimming down. I mean, from the photos, he still doesn't look tiny to me; he doesn't look like Lamonte Ulmer, to pick out the name of a skinny 4 from the past. Last year, unless I'm mistaken, Berry could only play in zone lineups, and at least by look from the new photos, I wouldn't be surprised if he now has Hurley's trust to be on the court when they go man.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just because he's lost close to 100 lbs. doesn't mean he isn't as strong as he used to be. In fact, with the weight training that these guys do, I'm willing to bet that he is stronger. More strength, more quickness, more endurance.... I can't find anything negative whatsoever about this.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Berry was pretty good at jumping straight up and contesting ppl around the rim.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Only on this board would we find negativity in some way on this lol
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As I suggested, I expect that Andre will be an improved basketball player after he adjusts to his new physique.

He may not be the immovable object in the paint that he was last year and will have to learn to use leverage and technique rather than shear bulk. He may be quicker and jump higher and will have to adjust to incorporating these assets into his game. His basketball instinct that evolved over years will need to adjust to his capabilities. Don't expect too much improvement too soon.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

This could only be a good thing for Berry and the Rams. He has alot of basketball ability, his body actually limited him last year. With a better body shape, he could be a nice option off the bench to give quality minutes. He has soft hands and great footwork, I think he will be a pleasant surprise next year. You can never have a deep enough bench.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slimming down helped Earl Watson's game. I think Andre has better hands, so I would expect he can provide a solid 10 or 12 mins a game.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Regardless of what Berry gives them on the court, his commitment to making the most of his opportunity has been impressive. Every guy on this roster is easy to root for, Andre included. The official word (from his training buddy D. Marshall) is he started at over 320, now weighs 280 and is still working.
Last edited by ace 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So he's "only" lost 40 since he got here or the beginning of the offseason?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:So he's "only" lost 40 since he got here or the beginning of the offseason?
according to Marshall, in the year that he's been at URI- but muscle development and overall fitness isn't necessarily reflected in just the weight number
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:

then back to back games:

Good points, I hope you're right.

I'm not concerned about him regressing due to weight loss. I'm more concerned, as I said before, about his overall athleticism. This year he didn't play much because I'm assuming Hurley felt like he was a defensive liability. We all know how much Hurley values defense so I'm not sure how much the weight loss will help Berry defensively. Obviously he should be quicker than before but ultimately how much quicker will he get and will he be able to defend well enough for Hurley to give him playing time?

Also you mention Hurley, Marshall, and ARD continuing to drive Berry to lose weight but what else would they be doing? For Hurley was the one who decided to give Berry a scholarship so I'd hope he would continue to push Berry to reach his ceiling but who knows what Berry's ceiling actually is.
The reason I think the staff gets special credit is that they have helped make this remarkable transition happen. It is not easy to change eating habits, exercise habits. Look no further than with Quad Smith who chose to go PC at the same time (May 2015) as Berry chose to go to URI. Smith left PC last month looking the same size as when he arrived - no change. Sure that's Smith's responsibility but also have to look at the Coaching and training staff at PC as well. That is why I think kudos goes to the HC, assistant coaches, Team Athletic Trainer, Team Academic Advisor, Team Strength and Conditioning Manager and let's throw in Berry's family, friends and URI teammates for good cause. Great job all the way around and certainly something the staff can point to with future recruits regarding how this staff can help an incoming player to develop in many ways.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Will be interesting to see what he's listed at on the roster. Last year they had him at 285, which couldn't be true if he's now 280.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

FYI, in Daniel Marshall's IG account he posted about Berry's phenomenal workout commitment and progress just a few days ago. In it he stated that Berry arrived at URI a year ago weighing in at 320 lbs+. His post included some 'before and after' photos of Berry demonstrating the physical difference.

For his part, Berry commented that he's still working hard.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Would someone take this dude for a dozen clamcakes? After a doughboy breakfast, of course.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

If he can be in the kind of shape where he can be on the floor for big minutes that could be a huge unexpected factor for next year.

I think he is potentially really good from what I saw skill wise. And it wasn't just being big, it was hands, shooting, all of that looked good.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

reckless jake wrote:FYI, in Daniel Marshall's IG account he posted about Berry's phenomenal workout commitment and progress just a few days ago. In it he stated that Berry arrived at URI a year ago weighing in at 320 lbs+. His post included some 'before and after' photos of Berry demonstrating the physical difference.

For his part, Berry commented that he's still working hard.

For reference ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHAkW1ApXi9 ... marshall85
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The key number: 53 pounds of fat.
0 x