2016 offseason odds and ends

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2016 offseason odds and ends

Unread post by bigappleram »

The Rams horn front of short motif probably sounded good on paper but in execution, ehhhhh
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote:The Rams horn front of short motif probably sounded good on paper but in execution, ehhhhh
Yea, not a big fan of the Ram horn on the front.

Hopefully it looks better in person.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm glad we mixed it up with more graphics on the shorts and kept the tops mostly the same, but yea the rams horn is a little confusing. Colors looks perfect though. It must be the new unis, they don't look like practice uniforms. But hey it looks like a top 25 team!
0 x
GO RAMS
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I like the new uni's! They are a little different, but that's okay because that makes them unique to us and not just a cookie cutter adidas style that several other teams might be wearing.

The team seems to like them and that's probably the most important thing.

Btw, I count 15 players in that second pic.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It is nice that there is at least something unique about them, definitely agree with that.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reckless jake wrote:I like the new uni's! They are a little different, but that's okay because that makes them unique to us and not just a cookie cutter adidas style that several other teams might be wearing.

The team seems to like them and that's probably the most important thing.

Btw, I count 15 players in that second pic.
Yeah, #15 and #5 must be walk-ons. Anybody know who they are?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

#15 must be the recruited walk on, if I remember correctly he's from New Jersey.

#5 must be the walk on from Classical High School who Koch just tweeted about.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The size at each of end of the team show shows a much bigger team.
Did Berry grow high what he lost in wide? He looks to be around the same height as Tertsea, clearly taller than Hass, Cyril, Nikola
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:#15 must be the recruited walk on, if I remember correctly he's from New Jersey.

#5 must be the walk on from Classical High School who Koch just tweeted about.
Eric Dadika.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Weird shorts ... don't like em.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Overall, I really like them. The script is perfect- classic looking and no more weird lettering (the angles on D and O, the capital I that looked like a lowercase l). I like having the numbers and lettering match, and the consistent dark with the light trim looks good. The interlocking RI is back on the shorts, which I think is a good look.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The Island disappears when the shirt is tucked in.

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He was just playing. No one wears clothes like that.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:He was just playing. No one wears clothes like that.
My grandfather used to wear his pants up to his chest.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Maybe they'll look better in person but I'm not a fan so far
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Ram horns are weird on the shorts.
But I think I can dig it!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'll fall in love with the unis when we start winning lots of games in them... big wins!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

darn.. just catching up on this thread

does anyone have a picture of the new unis ?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ok, i see them now

yikes

cumby on steroids !
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Those are supposed to be ram horns? I thought they were just swirls, possibly designed by a drunk.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

TP.. our worse nightmare

wins will make up for this tho !

never liked Adidas tho..

they try to be too cute
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i have to be careful what i wish for..
the rams horns are not cookie cutter .. LOL !
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:Those are supposed to be ram horns? I thought they were just swirls, possibly designed by a drunk.
Whether or not those are supposed to be ram horns the shorts look like they were designed by a drunk or a 10 year old. Pretty sure when articles come out titled "Worst College Basketball Jerseys This Year" we'll be on the list.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

should have switched to nike when we had the chance

this adidas is too much of a wild card
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bill Koch has a series of tweets from practice as well

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:
Is this an interesting tweet considering Bill is now charged with covering both PC and URI for the projo with KMac putting the columnist hat on?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Is Bill really covering both URI and PC now? Along with all the HS coverage he does? That's crazy..
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Darn - I still see the black shower curtain the press row

Will they ever learn ?!????
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

TP -- the answers to the coverage questions can be found in the 2016-17 debut of the Pick-n-Pop (pretty much inside the first three minutes). I'm personally crushed you haven't listened already. :D

Elm City -- The constant clamoring to move the media seating would have more merit if URI could average more than 5,500 fans per game in attendance in a given year. Since that isn't the case, it's likely a nonstarter for now. It's also not a section of the building that can be seen on a TV broadcast, so it's hardly the nation-wide eyesore that you portray here.

Also, a general note on coverage that I've shared with ATP in the past -- if it ever comes down to making a choice (which isn't in the near future, for the record), general factors like program success, home game attendance, website hits on stories and more would be considered. Those are the real tangible metrics we have to determine interest in a particular topic. There's a reason PC and URI get more ink than Brown and Bryant, for example. The social media response and web hits from PC fans to Big East Media Day was certainly noted. I hope the same can be said when I make the trip to Pittsburgh next week for the Atlantic 10 version.

Kevin and I are committed to covering PC and URI to the best of our abilities. I give you my word that commitment will not change, regardless of personal sacrifices either one of us have to make. We realize that college basketball is one of the things that makes the Journal's voice a distinct one compared to some other papers in the region that are more inclined to focus on professional beats, and we don't want to lose that in any way.

Any questions or concerns, my email (bkoch@providencejournal.com) and Twitter page (@BillKoch25) are always reachable. Thanks for reading.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Interviews with coach and players from Yianni were not on the 6 o'clock news. He said they'd be on at 10 (channel 64) and on channel 12 after the football game.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Thanks for the info Bill! Great to see him posting here!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not a big fan of the blue swirls on the shorts but the rest look good
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thanks Bill for your opinion on the press area.

I agree and hope we (one day) will consistently need those seats.

While I disagree in terms of the current press area vs the base and sideline areas, I respect your insight.

Best of luck and continue success.

Let's hope the product on the court gets over the hurdle and delivers a fun season for all of us !
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:The size at each of end of the team show shows a much bigger team.
Did Berry grow high what he lost in wide? He looks to be around the same height as Tertsea, clearly taller than Hass, Cyril, Nikola
It's striking when you look at the team all together- Hassan is now maybe the 6th or 7th tallest guy on the team. Their best players overall are still their guards, but the evolution of the roster and what players they want to get is pretty evident. Their height is young, so there will be growing pains. Langevine continues to be the one I'm most excited to see.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I want to see the growth of Akele. 8 wonder if he want get an opportunity to prove himself though.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CT Rhody wrote:I want to see the growth of Akele. 8 wonder if he want get an opportunity to prove himself though.
They seem to like his skilled effort, especially defensively, and he can create some mismatches if he shows he can hit an outside shot with consistency. That should get him an opportunity. I think he's easily in the rotation, even as he works on his offensive game.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:I want to see the growth of Akele. 8 wonder if he want get an opportunity to prove himself though.
They seem to like his skilled effort, especially defensively, and he can create some mismatches if he shows he can hit an outside shot with consistency. That should get him an opportunity. I think he's easily in the rotation, even as he works on his offensive game.
Is Dan going to spread minutes around this season with this depth is the question? He seems to play a core group that he get comfortable with even when they become exhausted. I guess we'll see this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
ace wrote:
Is Dan going to spread minutes around this season with this depth is the question? He seems to play a core group that he get comfortable with even when they become exhausted. I guess we'll see this year.
He said on the podcast that he'd like to play at least 10 and get Jarvis and Jared's minutes into the low 30s instead of the high 30s.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CT Rhody wrote:
ace wrote:
I don't think that's ever really been by design, though. These are the stats for the Wagner team he referenced in the podcast, which BB was talking about. Different level of play, of course, but here they are.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... /year/2012

They also had a transfer sitting out, which was the 13th roster spot. This was also the season that former Seahawk/current Rams Assistant DBO Chris Martin became one of my favorites- lost his starting job to a younger player but still made the most of his minutes and was a great teammate.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bill Koch wrote:TP -- the answers to the coverage questions can be found in the 2016-17 debut of the Pick-n-Pop (pretty much inside the first three minutes). I'm personally crushed you haven't listened already. :D

Elm City -- The constant clamoring to move the media seating would have more merit if URI could average more than 5,500 fans per game in attendance in a given year. Since that isn't the case, it's likely a nonstarter for now. It's also not a section of the building that can be seen on a TV broadcast, so it's hardly the nation-wide eyesore that you portray here.

Also, a general note on coverage that I've shared with ATP in the past -- if it ever comes down to making a choice (which isn't in the near future, for the record), general factors like program success, home game attendance, website hits on stories and more would be considered. Those are the real tangible metrics we have to determine interest in a particular topic. There's a reason PC and URI get more ink than Brown and Bryant, for example. The social media response and web hits from PC fans to Big East Media Day was certainly noted. I hope the same can be said when I make the trip to Pittsburgh next week for the Atlantic 10 version.

Kevin and I are committed to covering PC and URI to the best of our abilities. I give you my word that commitment will not change, regardless of personal sacrifices either one of us have to make. We realize that college basketball is one of the things that makes the Journal's voice a distinct one compared to some other papers in the region that are more inclined to focus on professional beats, and we don't want to lose that in any way.

Any questions or concerns, my email (bkoch@providencejournal.com) and Twitter page (@BillKoch25) are always reachable. Thanks for reading.
In light of that,

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

more on minutes, depth-

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He also confirmed that the second scrimmage would be against Harvard. The St. John's game had already been announced. He has a few other comments on the practice, too, if you want to check his twitter feed.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cool, should get some good stuff from Zags today.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And this...

Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria
The word from NBA folks is this Rhody team has multiple prospects so expect scouts to follow this team all year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kuran Iverson was getting looks from NBA personnel last season. He has very good tools to Project to the next level.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

We want as many NBA scouts as we can get but it does put added pressure on the coach. The game is only played with one ball at a time so egos need to fit in. Over trying to impress can be a problem.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This picture is awesome. Jarvis is an impressive young man- really glad he's a Ram.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2016/10/21/doub ... p-25-team/
0 x