Hurley, URI agree on one-year contract extension

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Hurley, URI agree on one-year contract extension

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: Hurley, URI agree on one-year contract extension

Unread post by josephski »

I might be in the minority here but it'd be nice to make the ncaa tournament before continuing to give Hurley contract extensions.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

josephski wrote:I might be in the minority here but it'd be nice to make the ncaa tournament before continuing to give Hurley contract extensions.
If he was the one benefitting from them, maybe. Since every extension has improved the program, it's a good thing if you're a fan, regardless of what you think of Hurley. Either side could part ways at any time with the already established provisions. Cox seems to be the biggest winner in this new deal.

And this from the article is a pretty good showing from the conference as a whole:
"(Hurley) stands to make a guaranteed $1 million per season from 2017-18 through the final season, one of eight coaches in the 14-team Atlantic 10 to reach that mark."

Anyone know how Rhode Island's assistants salary pool measures up to the rest of the conference?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ace wrote:
josephski wrote:I might be in the minority here but it'd be nice to make the ncaa tournament before continuing to give Hurley contract extensions.
Either side could part ways at any time with the already established provisions.
Unless I'm missing something it seems like URI would be in a tough situation if they parted ways early with Hurley but if Hurley is the one who decides to leave then URI is still in a decent position.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Advantage, Hurley. He gets job security. If he wins and leaves, URI can't stop him. If he loses, he's still our guy. I do believe he will win and soon. These coach contracts work one-way.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Do these tend to work only for the coaches? Sure. But would you be ok if we lost him to Rutgers over one year and more money for his assistants? I wouldn't.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think it's a great thing...but my (admittedly limited) time on this board tells me you will NOT be in the minority :lol:
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I don't believe we can assume that Rutgers was the only school asking about Dan.

I've had some issues with his coaching but he is a quality guy and is learning from his mistakes.

No downside to this move IMHO. He's delivered on the promise of bringing elite talent here. Next season I expect we all get rewarded with a monster season.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

It's great for Hurley. For URI, it can show recruits that the school wants to keep its coach. It's symbolic, but not a bad thing.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

We will know a year from now how this contract is looking.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I think it's a great thing...but my (admittedly limited) time on this board tells me you will NOT be in the minority :lol:
NYG, we've just all been scarred from a past admininistration constantly getting extended with no results. I love this coach, but many of us are just cautiously optimistic.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am happy with this news. I am expecting big things next season I just hope we live up to the billing
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great news. I would think most here would agree that Coach Hurley leaving for a bigger job is more likely than the school needing to fire him before the contract is up.

The school is in an excellent position with the buyout provisions.

I'm ready for the season to begin.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We want to show we will be investing in the program as a committed behavior, in an ongoing manner. Even with what DH has done to this point he is worth the investment, check his sal and benni's with other coaches, I'm sure someone of his abilities could get this deal and better all over the country! That being said, yes the risk is on the program, but the likelihood of DH crapping out is very very low and the likelihood we go NCAA this year and next seems pretty high. If we do CHA CHING!!! everybody's happy!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

While I am optimistic about Hurley and the direction of the program to say there is no downside is craziness.

Seems like 95% of this board has already penciled in URI for the 2017 NCAA Tournament. But as we know, shit happens.

What if URI whiffs on the NCAA Tournament in 2017? Contract won't be looking so great then. In that scenario Hurley is 0-5 with 5 years still left on a contract in which URI has really extended themselves.

Let's keep in mind Hurley has as many contract extensions during his URI tenure as he does first round exits from the A10 tournament.

I'll give Hurley credit he doesn't backdown from expectations but if URI whiffs on the 2017 tournament then it could get ugly.

2016-17 season is put up or shut up time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What, there's pressure on Dan to make the Dance this season?

What pressure? :roll:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe in DH to get the job done. His work ethic is second to none and this is the year we will reap the benefits
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Hurley needs to beat PC by 20 and get to the Sweet 16 next season. Piece of cake.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

STC wrote:While I am optimistic about Hurley and the direction of the program to say there is no downside is craziness.

Seems like 95% of this board has already penciled in URI for the 2017 NCAA Tournament. But as we know, shit happens.

What if URI whiffs on the NCAA Tournament in 2017? Contract won't be looking so great then. In that scenario Hurley is 0-5 with 5 years still left on a contract in which URI has really extended themselves.

Let's keep in mind Hurley has as many contract extensions during his URI tenure as he does first round exits from the A10 tournament.

I'll give Hurley credit he doesn't backdown from expectations but if URI whiffs on the 2017 tournament then it could get ugly.

A wise man once said not long ago.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Geesh, I thought they just gave him another year.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Running Ram wrote:We want to show we will be investing in the program as a committed behavior, in an ongoing manner. Even with what DH has done to this point he is worth the investment, check his sal and benni's with other coaches, I'm sure someone of his abilities could get this deal and better all over the country! That being said, yes the risk is on the program, but the likelihood of DH crapping out is very very low and the likelihood we go NCAA this year and next seems pretty high. If we do CHA CHING!!! everybody's happy!
Care to take back this statement?
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

theblueram wrote:
STC wrote:While I am optimistic about Hurley and the direction of the program to say there is no downside is craziness.

Aw shucks, wish I had been wrong though.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

STC, me too. Really.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

STC wrote:
theblueram wrote:

Aw shucks, wish I had been wrong though.
Ans they make such a big deal about Nostradamus.......lol
Last edited by ramfan85 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Running Ram wrote:We want to show we will be investing in the program as a committed behavior, in an ongoing manner. Even with what DH has done to this point he is worth the investment, check his sal and benni's with other coaches, I'm sure someone of his abilities could get this deal and better all over the country! That being said, yes the risk is on the program, but the likelihood of DH crapping out is very very low and the likelihood we go NCAA this year and next seems pretty high. If we do CHA CHING!!! everybody's happy!
Pmx3, you're too funny, I wrote that six months ago, I was feeling optimistic, is that so wrong? While I'm not happy about the results on the court at this point, or the overall length of the contract I sort of still stand by the sentiment of my post, DH is not over-paid compared to coaches at his level, I do think it's important for the university to show it is serious about upgrading the program and I'm also grateful that DH leveraged the interest in him by other programs into upgrades for our program, including facilities upgrades, transportation upgrades and not to be dismissed he negotiated salary increases for the assistant coaches. He didn't go after the big $ for himself, he gave the program more legitimacy, that says something about him as a person, great guy, unfortunately at this point I could only say he's an okay coach and trust me nobody is routing harder than me for DH to become a great coach, but I'm a realist and the proof is in the pudding as they say, so if anything I'll take back the last few sentences because the likelihood of crapping out seems a little higher these days.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Pmx3, you're too funny, I wrote that six months ago, I was feeling optimistic, is that so wrong? While I'm not happy about the results on the court at this point, or the overall length of the contract I sort of still stand by the sentiment of my post, DH is not over-paid compared to coaches at his level, I do think it's important for the university to show it is serious about upgrading the program and I'm also grateful that DH leveraged the interest in him by other programs into upgrades for our program, including facilities upgrades, transportation upgrades and not to be dismissed he negotiated salary increases for the assistant coaches. He didn't go after the big $ for himself, he gave the program more legitimacy, that says something about him as a person, great guy, unfortunately at this point I could only say he's an okay coach and trust me nobody is routing harder than me for DH to become a great coach, but I'm a realist and the proof is in the pudding as they say, so if anything I'll take back the last few sentences because the likelihood of crapping out seems a little higher these days.
RR,
You might want to take out that part about "everybody's happy".............not sure that's possible :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good to bring this thread back up.Looking back I said I was happy with the news now I don't know what to think
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

reef, there should be no more extensions.....until we Dance......Dan has made promises that aren't happening......
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Another bi-daily reminder that it's December and the NCAA happens in March.

Now back to your regularly scheduled misery.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL