EC Matthews Progress Report ?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: EC Matthews Progress Report ?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Some have said EC is being used as a decoy which imo, isn't happening......he's not confident in his shot, and his driving to the hoop isn't as effortless as it was the first week of the season.....we have plenty of guard depth, use it.....if we are to win at least 3 out of the next 4, he's got to be closer to 100% if he's going to be out there major minutes.....or else he could be hurting the team....I'm sure Dan knows if there's a problem, but he ain't talking...which he shouldn't....
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

There was a quote from Hurley very early in the year that, if memory serves as I'm trying to summarize, went something like "The defense we're facing will indicate where the ball goes [i.e. who will get shots]."

We have enough talented players on offense where we do not need to force our best player to carry the load completely. If they want to take away EC at the expense of having Jarvis and Hassan beat them (like Belmont did), then fine, we will beat them that way. Having EC force the issue would be counter-productive.

I would also not be surprised at all if EC is not yet fully 100% and a bit rusty.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Trust me, I'm not questioning anybody's work ethic in returning from injury. I'm pretty sure he's doing everything the doctors, trainers, strength/conditioning coaches, etc. are asking of him.

But I've also seen many more guys come back from an ACL and never being as good as they once were. They can still play but they lost a whole lot. Some of it was mental but I believe it was more physical. Brain and heart say yes but the body may say no.

I (this is me personally) am not counting on E.C. to play like old E.C. I think his shooting percentages will be down, his style of game may change, and he won't be able to make some of the explosive plays he once did. That's my expectation for this year.

We shall see...long way to go. I hope to come on the board in mid-January and have a full plate of crow to eat. That would be nice.
The above was what I posted 5 months ago. I'll wait until mid-January before assessing the state of "current EC" vs. "old EC."
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I also think that the Zone's that we have seen in the last few games have given EC some grief. He couldn't get to the hoop as easily because of the D and his shot just wasn't falling.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Some have said EC is being used as a decoy which imo, isn't happening......he's not confident in his shot, and his driving to the hoop isn't as effortless as it was the first week of the season.....we have plenty of guard depth, use it.....if we are to win at least 3 out of the next 4, he's got to be closer to 100% if he's going to be out there major minutes.....or else he could be hurting the team....I'm sure Dan knows if there's a problem, but he ain't talking...which he shouldn't....
Dan Hurley said before the season that we would see a more efficient EC Mathews this year.

Sophomore Year Results:
32.9 mpg
16.9 PPG
FG 172-420 for 41%
3 pointers 68-209 for 32.5%
FTs 130-177 for 73.4%
4.6 RPG

This year:
29.7 mpg or 3.2 fewer minutes per game or 9.7% less time on the floor
15.5 PPG or 1.4 PPG fewer or 8.3% fewer points
FG 32-62 for 51.6% for 10.6 percentage points higher
3 pointers 10-22 for 45.5% for 13 percentage points higher
FTs 19-27 for 70.4% for 3 percentage points lower
3.8 RPG

Last game EC got 6 points. Last game Terrell got 6 points.
Could out be that DH said we are going to exploit Martin down low? And we know DH told Garrett he had to take a greater role and take charge of the game and be more assertive.
Could it be EC and Terrell and team simply played to the two very hot hands in Martin and Garrett?

Statistics don't show EC being less confident in his shot than two years ago - in fact just the opposite.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That knee might be better but it's the same EC who forces and misses clutch shots at the end. Ball should go to 32 or 12 only.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm not sure the knee is better either. He looked more explosive in the first couple of games. I know it was against inferior competition, but I mean the way he was moving. I don't think he's right either physically or mentally at this point. I don't know what the solution at this point either.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

I would have to agree with you. I think physically he knows something is not right which has lead to zero confidence in his game.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

There is no external solution.

The solution is strengthening the muscles around the leg, conditioning, confidence, game experience, and time/patience by EC, coach, trainers, teammates, and fans. If you allow for that, then you have a chance at seeing EC with a full recovery. But even with all that, there is no guarantee he'll be what he once was.

People were drinking the "EC is back" cool aid months ago. I was one of those who was more reluctant with my expectation level. Of course, some roasted me, thought I was negative, and was just making stuff up. Sorry folks, there is no magic wand.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

There was one drive tonight that made me say wow, but overall not very explosive.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Plus his stats the first 2 games led us to believe he was back even though it was v bad teams but obviously he has a ways to go
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

EC is not the EC of old. He does not have that burst he once had. He used to be a plus defender. I see people blowing by him now. Hopefully he will continue to develop as time goes on.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yeah he was a legit defender and rebounder.

He doesn't have the legs past 2 weeks. Really started with Cinci. Against the scrubs he was gliding through the air with pop. That has disappeared.

Regardless of opponent or any other stat. Your eyes can see him jump from farther away and higher. He hasn't jumped in weeks.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hopefully the time off in the last 2 weeks has him back
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Are we all in agreement that EC will be back next season ?

At this point, I don't see how he gets drafted
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

And I saw last game and saw how he played very well.. In overall terms so far this year.. I don't see how he is drafted early enough to leave URI
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Agreed.
Although some NBA scouts may feel he has a chance and would rather him come out now instead of coming out a year older.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

No offense but there's not a chance he's drafted after this season unless he starts lighting it up. Makes me wonder if you guys have seen him play this season ? Its a work in progress still. I think there are many areas that still need improvement in his game and this is contingent on if he is physically ever able to get back to where he was before the injury. I think the ability and skill is there but time will tell.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....if there's a large projected pay day coming via coming out this year, sure go for it......if not return to team, strengthen all skills, body, and mental approach, and the see what happens.....of course further injury is a possibility, cause we all are day to day.....did I ever think he was a can't miss NBA level prospect?.....no.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Can we please end this fantasy about EC being an NBA draft choice?
The landscape is littered with 2 guards, with better handles, defense and
passing ability.
Even a stud like Kris Dunn only gets 17.7 minutes a game,
and he has a complete game as a PG.
X Munford has a better all around game than EC, and he's in the D League.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

If EC does get drafted it won't be this year and it will be late second round which is probably still unlikely. Unfortunately I don't think he progressed the way many thought he would after his freshman year. I remember when there was talk about EC gaining the skills to be able to play the point, look at how well that's gone.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Remember, as a freshman, Munford was the guy
the other team was geared to stop.
EC had the advantage of not being "The Guy".
After so long, still the high dribble, just
waiting to become a turnover.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

sounds like we all agree..

and expect to see him at rhody next year.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

EC is not getting drafted unless he starts playing without that knee brace. No chance.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My guess is 5 options in order of likelihood:
1. 5th year at URI going to graduate school
2. 5th year at another school going to graduate school - there is quite a bit of this transferring now as compared to the past, especially for guys who had injury redshirts
3. Play Overseas
4. Go into draft, then go NBA Development league
5. 5th year at another school going with Hurley

I can't really think of any other options
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

To me, EC will be graded solely on whether he is part of an NCAA tournament team or not. But the NBA teams could care less about uri's failures. They look solely on whether they think his game translates to the NBA. And that's hard to tell because his role on a professional team would not be the same role he's been given here.
Last edited by URI2006_Andy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI2006_Andy wrote:To me, EC will be graded solely on whether he is part of an NCAA tournament team or not. But the NBA teams could care less about uri's failures. They look solely on whether they think his game translates to the NBA. And that's hard to tell because his role on a professional team would not be the same role he's been given here.
agree
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......one more option; he goes into the NBA draft this year and is drafted to the team that offered Dan a deal he could not refuse to jump to the NBA......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

that would be a very distant option 6
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if I'm EC I'd leave if I'm considered a surefire second rounder. Especially IF we get to the tourney. Chances are he won't be elevating his draft status too much higher. Take the money if you can because the longer you stay the more chance you have of re-injury and/or having your game picked a part even more. If you haven't developed certain skills after 4 years here...magic ain't happening in that 5th!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dre3000 wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if I'm EC I'd leave if I'm considered a surefire second rounder. Especially IF we get to the tourney. Chances are he won't be elevating his draft status too much higher. Take the money if you can because the longer you stay the more chance you have of re-injury and/or having your game picked a part even more. If you haven't developed certain skills after 4 years here...magic ain't happening in that 5th!
I put the 5th option in there for the Baron 2.0 thread people

I agree Dre, that going to the NCAA Tournament makes a big difference as does how well URI plays in the A10 Tournament. If URI makes the NCAA's this year you can't necessarily count on the NCAA's again next year. And if URI were to win a game or two in the Tournament then things change a lot. Lot's of games to be played.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dre3000 wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if I'm EC I'd leave if I'm considered a surefire second rounder. Especially IF we get to the tourney. Chances are he won't be elevating his draft status too much higher. Take the money if you can because the longer you stay the more chance you have of re-injury and/or having your game picked a part even more. If you haven't developed certain skills after 4 years here...magic ain't happening in that 5th!
I'm pretty sure that 2nd round draft picks don't have guaranteed contracts.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Call Ben Bentil, a Celtics 2nd round draftee.
He's in CHINA on a temporary contract.
No guarantee money for 2nd round.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......while we are still on this, hopefully any student athlete has in their counsel a realist, that can put the full picture into focus, rather than blind support for the bright lights..... wonder what info a Monday morning QB like Ben Bentil could provide...."surefire" anything; yes a solid college player with limitations......say hello to the Euro, as the ceiling.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

FWIW: My wife and I sat next to a few NBA scouts during the Cincinnati game. One scout was high on Terrell and Martin, but A. Didn't seem to know much about Matthews and B. Strongly believed that he should stay another year after looking up his stats from two years ago... Matthews is going anywhere until the end of next year unless he starts to play like he did against UH or better
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

..... regarding Martin; were any of them NFL scouts?
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:FWIW: My wife and I sat next to a few NBA scouts during the Cincinnati game. One scout was high on Terrell and Martin, but A. Didn't seem to know much about Matthews and B. Strongly believed that he should stay another year after looking up his stats from two years ago... Matthews is going anywhere until the end of next year unless he starts to play like he did against UH or better
He'll need a lot more games approaching the Houston game to approach draft consideration (I also agree withthe knee brace removal theory)...but if he has them...and the rest play to their capability...this team makes the NCAAT. And from reading this board that almost sounds like a better shot than next year even given current performance. Can't really see any way he goes without Rhody making noise in the tourney (and he'd have to be really good for that to happen)...and I think a lot of folks would choose that trade-off...they make tourney noise and he goes. More likely (at least it seems right now)...he stays or transfers. jmo
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......not being an NBA scout, and NOT staying at the Hoilday Inn Express last nite, I can only think that the NCAA tourney does bring more scout eyeballs to the games......but those games usually do not put rose colored glass views of midmajor players whose collective body of work is already known.....unless of course they strap their team on their backs and carry their team to the final four....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

EC needs to make shots and plays to win games.....he did against Cincy but it needs to happen way more often....I don't see him going anywhere after this season.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Sure we can hand pick guys that don't play his position but looking back at the drafts from 2014-2016 of the SG taken in the 2nd round the following made an NBA roster for at least one year:
Joe Harris
Spencer Dinwiddie (who also tore his ACL)
Nick Johnson
Markel Brown
Russ Smith
Lamar Patterson (Cut first year but made it back after playing overseas and in D-League)
Jordan McRae (Cut first year but made it back after playing overseas and in D-League)

7 out of 10 2nd round SG played in an NBA game (1 that did not is a foreign player)

Darren Hilliard
Josh Richardson
Norman Powell

3 out of 6 played in an NBA game (2 that did not are foreign players)

Malcolm Brogdon
Patric McCaw
Isaiah Whitehead

3 out of 8 have played in an NBA game to date (2 that did not are foreign players)

I think this shows there's a good chance of playing in the NBA as a second rounder. And if the alternative is being Ben Bentil I still think it beats staying in school for a year. Bentil couldn't have raised his stock much more than it was. Also considering he made $250,000 from the Celtics, and another $50,000 from the Pacers for simply signing his name on a contract. That's $300,000 without playing a game, not to mention what he's making in China (likely another $300,000 at least). If I'm EC that sounds better than sticking around Kingston, RI to play for "Baron 2.0".
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bentil was a sophomore.
His game needed refinement.
His decision is widely regarded as a poor one.
NBA minimum rookie salary is $562,493, IF a player sticks.
Not sure where you're getting these salary figures on Bentil.
In early September, it was a foregone conclusion he'd be cut.
If he honed his game for another year of two, he may
have made guaranteed money as a 1st rounder.
His contract in China is a temporary one,
filling in for an injured player, and nowhere near $300K.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

The numbers for Bentil are all over the internet. $250k of the contract he signed with the Celtics was guaranteed, as was $50k of the contract he signed with the Pacers.

As for him not making much in China, guess again. The player he replaced in China is Andre Blatche who had a 3 year deal with that Chinese team worth $7.5 MILLION. $300k to that team is not a large chunk of change.

So while it may be an unwise decision to a lot of people, he's certainly making the most of it. But in my opinion it is hard to believe he could have played much better this year than he did last year, especially during Big East play.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I couldn't find anything.
Link?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

There's more but I'm too lazy/ not tech savvy enough to post them all.

Here's the guaranteed $250k:
https://www.google.com/amp/boston.cbslo ... tmobile-us

Here's the guaranteed $50k:
https://www.google.com/amp/8points9seco ... tmobile-us

Here's the info about Andray Blatche's contract in China:
http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/3/21/8269 ... inese-team
Last edited by Dre3000 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

EC definitely needs to come back next season. He is nowhere near NBA ready. Possibly after next season he may have a shot
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think this line about the Houston games says so much.
This was EC's best game, too!
"Per hoopslens.com, the Rams were significantly better on offense (1.12 PPP compared to 1.25 PPP) and defense (1.38 PPP allowed vs. 0.84 allowed) when Matthews wasn't on the floor."
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:I think this line about the Houston games says so much.
This was EC's best game, too!
"Per hoopslens.com, the Rams were significantly better on offense (1.12 PPP compared to 1.25 PPP) and defense (1.38 PPP allowed vs. 0.84 allowed) when Matthews wasn't on the floor."
The combination of players that works the best may not align with individual statistics. I said in a post last year, brad Stevens looks at those types of unit +/- stats and tracking those stats could be very useful come conference tournament time. Just from the naked eye, Terell, iverson and Robinson combo seems to work the best. Those 3 had big minutes in the second half of cincy and first half of odu.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, Andy, you really need to look at more than one half of
a game, which we may have played over our heads.
You're right about the +/- stats.
As I said, EC in his best game in God knows how long,
still wasn't a plus, compared to when he wasn't
on the court.
I'd like to see more of these stats for the season,
to see if that's a fluke or a trend.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I agree way too small of a sample size to make decisions off of but by the end of the year, you may see some patterns.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Watching EC's highlight tapes from his freshman and sophomore's years, it's so clear he isn't close to the player he used to be. He isn't as explosive or aggressive. Sucks.

Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody