2016-17 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Life on the bubble. Best we can hope for.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really believe we dance at 23-10 win out til the a10 finals

The committee will do us a favor
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I think it's win the A10 Tournament or no dice.
I don't see the A10 being a 3 bid league, especially when Dayton and VCU have clearly separated themselves from everyone else in the A10 when it comes to their record and play in the A10.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

We dont win out...but beat vcu and we have 4 or 5 top 100 wins, including vcu, st bonny, lasalle and belmont.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

The Dude wrote:I think it's win the A10 Tournament or no dice.
I don't see the A10 being a 3 bid league, especially when Dayton and VCU have clearly separated themselves from everyone else in the A10 when it comes to their record and play in the A10.
The 8th conference. We deserve our third vs the acc 9. I would tKe that bet every day
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Just to translate I meant we are the 8th ranked conference, but I would bet the atlantic tens third team would beat the acc's 9th
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

There is a ton of basketball left. Beat VCU and take care of business. Many teams will play themselves out of the DANCE in the next few weeks. RHODY after 17 years is going to play themselves in.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

The Dude wrote:I think it's win the A10 Tournament or no dice.
Actually VCU SHOULD have 2 more losses. If we beat them today that puts them at 3 and if they lose at Dayton that'd be 4. 4 losses is not much separation from 5 especially when that 5 loss team won the head-to-head.

But really, we just need to worry about 1 game at a time. Truth is we could easily be this year's Tulsa, or this year's St. Bonn, or worst, this year's URI :lol: .
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

What if we beat VCU twice in the next two weeks?

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Roz wrote:Just to translate I meant we are the 8th ranked conference, but I would bet the atlantic tens third team would beat the acc's 9th
Right now the acc's 9th place team is Virginia do you really think URI gets in over them ?
Last edited by woodennickel1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote: Many ACC teams have been able to manipulate every metric this season ... They play tough schedule because their conference is tough so their RPI's are inflated ... It's also helped with their KenPom, they've won some tough games but not many, but they aren't often blown out, and also outperform expectations when an underdog.
If you're worried about ACC teams getting in that don't deserve to be in then you want an objective system over a committee. Trust me.
Not this year -- if we just used metrics, the ACC would get in all 4 of Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Wake. With the committee, at this point they'd be thrown 1, maybe 2 of those bids. Wake really has no chance, neither does Clemson.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

adam914 wrote:
Hate to sound like potus but that was the greatest win in 7+ years. Definitely biggest in DH tenure. No question.
They still need the auto bid, but now maybe they finally will be tough enough to play like they are able.
Closest they've been to being a fine-tuned machine. Can they win three straight in Pitt? Time will tell.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It was a program building win, and I heard of two recruits that were at this game, national reputation got a boost on espn as well.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Agree....HUGE win...big numbers-wise, but even bigger in that it showed they can not only 'play' with the upper echelon teams...they can actually beat one. Kudos to Hurls and crew, was a great time at the RC. And the crowd was fantastic...
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That is what we all hoped the atmosphere would be this year. I think VCU is better than Dayton. They are certainly bigger and stronger. I love the way we are pounding the ball inside now. We played really strong basketball today; we out-toughed a pretty tough front court
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm hoping to do enough in the next two weeks that we don't need to, but there is no reason that team I saw today can't just win the damn thing in Pittsburgh and make all of this moot.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

2 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

Obviously there is a chance that URI could win out until the A10 final and still miss out on an at-large bid, that said there is something meaningful to the fact they are are hot down the stretch and won against VCU today. In all the years they have been close since 99 they have not been doing what they are at the moment
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

giovanni wrote:
Is this really true?
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Now if we win all the way to A10 finals and lose to finish 23-10 I will be pissed off if we don't get a bid

When was the last time the a10 only had 2 bids ??

I think in that scenario they will look and see we did make a challenging OOC schedule and reward us
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

CBS bracketology has us playing Syracuse game n one of the play in games at Dayton
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

CBS bracketology has us playing Syracuse game n one of the play in games at Dayton
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

If URI makes it in as the third team from the A10 (not the autobid) my guess is we will have to ask our Dayton friends to set aside how much they hate Dan and cheer for the A10 team in their house.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I would love to play cuse
1 x
GO RAMS
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote:
giovanni wrote:
Is this really true?

I saw a twitter remark about how great PC wins were over Xavier and Creighton last week some time. Some writer, I think it was Evan Daniels, don't quote me on that, but it was a national writer, saying don't look now, but Providence had 2 great wins in a row. Gottleib and a couple others chimed in agreeing. Then there was a reply by someone , and it may have actually be a PC fan,asking, though those wins were very good, does the committee take into effect that Xavier obviously was not a top 20 team without Sumner and Bluett and the same can be said about Creighton without Watson. There were a few guys involved in conversation, but apparently, at least one didn't know Sumner was out, let alone Blueitt, which apparently a couple didn't know about. Don't think even Gottlieb knew about Blueitt at the time. He responded something to the effect that is tricky, the way wins like that are looked at. I found it to be a good commentary about wins/losses without star players. Not going at PCs wins, but I tend to agree that the X win in particular, certainly shouldn't be looked at the same with X playing without their 2 best players. I would say the same thing with our St Joes win, them playing without Newkirk, Joes clearly is not the same team without him. On the other side, I recall seeing a few comments attached to URI's 1st loss at Dayton, saying URI lost to Dayton and "Charles Cooke didn't even play" . So it should work both ways. Presenting it in a way, that because Cooke didn't play, it was a worse loss than it would appear to be.

Also, I found it a bit interesting that a couple of guys making these remarks had no idea Blueitt didn't play and one seemed unaware of Sumner also, who had been out for a while. I think it points to the fact that even some of these national writers, who make these comments, many people take as gospel. While at times, these comments are made somewhat blindly, without all the accurate information. Its impossible to be totally in tune with entire country like they try to be. There is no doubt some of these guys make commentary about how good or bad a team is on hearsay and looking at box scores without ever seeing a team play or maybe seeing them once or twice. Yet, when some of these national people write something, it seems to carry a lot of weight with the public and I wouldn't doubt , to an extent with the committee also. Presenting it in a way, that because Cooke didn't play, it was a worse loss than it would appear to be.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

A number 7 seed in lunardis bracket
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THIS WEIRD SITUATION HAPPENED

WE WIN OUT TO THE A-10 FINAL AND LOSE TO SOMEONE OTHER THAN DAYTON OR VCU

DOES THE COMMITEE PUT US IN AS THE 4TH A-10 TEAM
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If VCU loses to Dayton this week then gets knocked out of the A10 tourney by Richmond, who beats URI in the final after URI beats Dayton in the semis (not even sure if seeding-wise this is possible), I think URI would get in but I'm not sure about VCU in that scenario honestly.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

kal-65 wrote:WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THIS WEIRD SITUATION HAPPENED

WE WIN OUT TO THE A-10 FINAL AND LOSE TO SOMEONE OTHER THAN DAYTON OR VCU

DOES THE COMMITEE PUT US IN AS THE 4TH A-10 TEAM
Steve and Don were talking about this yesterday too, and they said no. I tend to agree - this isn't a four-bid league. If URI doesn't win the A-10 Tourney, they NEED either Dayton or VCU to win it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I thought Steve was saying that if we lost in the semis he thought we could still get in as long as VCU or Dayton won. I think that's overly optimistic, but that's what I think they were saying.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I def agree that's too optimistic. I still don't see four teams getting in from the A-10 though. The bubble would REALLY have to go in the toilet for that to happen.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No, I agree with that. As I said above, I think there is a scenario in which VCU slides off the bubble if they lose this week to Dayton and then in the semis and a fourth team wins the tournament.
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

with 2 top 50 wins and an rpi between 40 and 50 we have a 57% chance of an at large bid at the moment
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If Richmond were to beat us in the finals then there shouldn't be any reason we don't get in along with three other A10 teams. We have been a 6 bid league before in recent years. Why would other A10 teams not get picked just because it's too many bids? Doesn't make sense.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

in the update of todays brackets on bracketmatrix.com URI appears in 10 of the 31
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't see Rhody getting into the NCAA Tournament unless they make it to the finals of the A10 tournament at the very least.
This is what Joey-brackets has today.
Attachments
NCAA Tournament.tiff
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The Lunardi bracket was dated feb 23 he hasn't done his next bracket yet I don't think

If VCU splits this week and wins their 1st game in a10 tourney they will have 25 wins should be in

Too bad Richmond has two cupcakes left which should put us as the 4 seed
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Lunardi hasn't updated his yet. After the win he said we were in the conversation. I'm sure we will be in his first or next four out.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14158
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

pretty much we have 1 path to an at large...our next loss must be in the A10 finals and be to VCU or Dayton.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote:Lunardi hasn't updated his yet. After the win he said we were in the conversation. I'm sure we will be in his first or next four out.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14158
Play in game against Illinois State to take on Notre Dame, I'll take that.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Lunardi has us third out this morning.
Attachments
2-27-Bracketology.png
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:pretty much we have 1 path to an at large...our next loss must be in the A10 finals and be to VCU or Dayton.
I'm not sure anyone on Keaneyblue is disagreeing with that. In fact, most all felt we had to win out after the Fordham Loss at home to at the least the Championship Game of the A10. Some felt we actually had to WIN the Championship game to boot.

I see two options:
- Win out Conference Play and get to the Championship Game and lose it
- Win out Conference Play and get to the Semi-Finals and lose and pray very, very hard

Obviously winning the A10 Tournament gives the Auto Bid
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Need to figure out a way to have both GT and Syracuse lose when they play each other in the last regular season game... :roll: :roll:
1 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:Need to figure out a way to have both GT and Syracuse lose when they play each other in the last regular season game... :roll: :roll:
Should be rooting for Cuse in that one. Their resume is WAY better than GT.
2 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

This is the last 6 years and only at large bids. Considering a weak bubble this year it is something to ponder in terms of what URI needs to get the at large. I think the focus on the difference between us losing in the semis or the finals may be overrated and bigger picture factors may determine our fate.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thank you for this chart!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

So right now excluding the eye test and BPI, we have a 57% chance. Assuming we continue to win, our chance can only go up!
0 x
GO RAMS