2016-17 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by rambone 78 »

208, don't want to bust your bubble...ha ha....but that's a BIG if......

Consistency is not our middle name....could we do it? Sure....but reality says otherwise.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:It doesn't make any sense to keep worrying about the at-large scenarios. I guess we are technically not mathematically eliminated, but in order to get an at-large, we'd have to win out to the A10T final. If we get that far, might as well win it and remove all doubt. The path for URI realistically is to secure the double-bye and win three games in theee nights in Pittsburgh. That is the goal. If in the process of doing so you happen to win the next six games, maybe you could sneak in without winning the 7th. But I wouldn't count on it and at this point it is what's it's going to be. I felt URI has lost 3 different games already that they "needed" to win to get into the field as an at-large, and after each of those losses we moved the goal posts a little and calibrated a new scenario where it didn't totally kill us. Well, the goal posts can't move any further; they're pushing up against the wall. So forget about bracketology and worry about the A10T brackets because that's our last best hope.
Didn't you already say on more than one occasion that the season was over? Are you back saying there is a chance now?

What I posted was simply that it was interesting that this bracket had both PC and URI as the last 4 in. I don't think there is anyone here that does not believe that URI has their backs firmly up against the wall. No.body.

So if people talking about Bracketology bother you then the title of the thread says it all, just ignore it. Just interesting to consider that URI and PC could be last 4 in, that's all. Odds of that are slim, very slim, we know
1 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Imagine if the committee has to decide between us and PC for the last spot in the tourney? And they see that they beat us during OOC play? That would be.....unpleasant
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster I was not (specifically) talking about you. When I say the season is over, I mean that the ever-changing equation in which what we have to do is balanced against what it seems we are capable of has shifted to the edge of possible. Two weeks ago I honestly thought it was in the realm of likely. I just think monitoring the bracketology situation is wasted energy at this point (I didn't believe it was up until the Fordham game).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's only ONE scenario where that could happen with PC and us....win out until the A10T final.......and like GBG,TP, and ramster said.....the odds of that happening are very long.......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:208, don't want to bust your bubble...ha ha....but that's a BIG if......

Consistency is not our middle name....could we do it? Sure....but reality says otherwise.
Best way to get through this season...every time they bust your bubble...just get a new one... :lol:
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The reality of the tournament is that URI was going to have to win a bunch of games in a row to make the dance. The schedule still offers that opportunity.

IF URI won out for the regular season, I would think URI is basically in a toss up with Dayton for the conference tournament at that point. Now 2 losses to Dayton. But 2 close losses. Either meet/beat Dayton in the semis or meet in the title game if VCU losses its last 3 and we win out.

I just can't imagine URI can beat so many respectable programs in a row for the end of the regular season. But I will hold my breath as usual. We are the most healthy we have been all year. We also have the scars of an experienced team now, which we didn't have in November.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When you think of it, the fact that we have only won 3 games against top 100 RPI teams all season is sad...really sad.

And Bona is barely under the cut line.....
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

So far, we haven't shown the toughness needed to win on back to back days. There's just something missing from this team.
The real sad thing is that we're good enough to beat anyone in this league.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is it possible we can play PC in the first 4 game ??
Wouldn't that be something
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The latest NIT bracket from NYCbuckets.com:

1. Rhode Island
8. San Francisco
4. Georgia
5. Illinois
3. Georgia Tech
6. Auburn
2. Providence
7. Arkansas St.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ooooh NIT Bracketology!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We won't be a 1 seed unless we are among the first 4 out according to the NCAA selection committee.

We're currently not that close to the cut line no matter what some say. If we get to the A10T final and lose, then I think we might be there.....of course I'd rather be one of the last 4 in......

If I had to guess right now we'd be either a 2 or 3 seed.....of course by the end of this week we'll know a lot more.

That's if anyone cares......correct ATP.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Please no NIT
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Play like the first half of GM and we can beat anyone
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

See if you can fill in the teams:

Record (SOS); wins vs top25 RPI (lunardi seed)
15-11 (52); vs 5, vs 12, at 25 (11)
16-12 (60); vs 12; vs 15 (12)
16-10 (66); vs 2; vs 18; at 22 (11)
17-10 (49); at 3 (11)
17-9 (51); vs 14 (n) (out)
17-9 (53); at 1 (7)
18-8 (69); vs 11, vs 15 (10)
18-8 (68); vs 5 (9)

It's interesting that teams around the 15-18 win total with a SOS like ours and a marquee win seem to be in. Either everyone is using the wrong metrics for strength of schedule or the experts just assume that the so called power conference teams play a tougher schedule than everyone else. I think the reason is too much emphasis is put on the arbitrary record vs top 100. Means nothing with today's parity as teams 101-150 aren't far off from numbers 51-100. Whether you play on the road or at home means more and an objective SOS factors that in.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

URI2006_Andy wrote:See if you can fill in the teams:

17-10 (49); at 3 (11)
17-9 (53); at 1 (7)
18-8 (68); vs 5 (9)

It's interesting that teams around the 15-18 win total with a SOS like ours and a marquee win seem to be in. Either everyone is using the wrong metrics for strength of schedule or the experts just assume that the so called power conference teams play a tougher schedule than everyone else. I think the reason is too much emphasis is put on the arbitrary record vs top 100. Means nothing with today's parity as teams 101-150 aren't far off from numbers 51-100. Whether you play on the road or at home means more and an objective SOS factors that in.
Sorry Andy...
1) You gotta draw the line somewhere and this where they draw the line 50/100/150
2) There's quite a bit of difference between team 50 and team 150. URI is #51, Furman #101, and La-Lafayette is #150. We've seen how "good" this URI team, you can imagine how "good" Furman and La-Lafayette is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the overall national people have a more favorable opinion of us as opposed to most on this board so I tend to think if we do win out til a10 finals then I think we do dance
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote:I think the overall national people have a more favorable opinion of us as opposed to most on this board so I tend to think if we do win out til a10 finals then I think we do dance
Yeah I think we'd be in a pretty good spot if that happens.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote:I think the overall national people have a more favorable opinion of us as opposed to most on this board so I tend to think if we do win out til a10 finals then I think we do dance
FWIW, people outside the state have a better opinion of URI in general than do Rhode Islanders.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:See if you can fill in the teams:

17-10 (49); at 3 (11)
17-9 (53); at 1 (7)
18-8 (68); vs 5 (9)

Sorry Andy...
1) You gotta draw the line somewhere and this where they draw the line 50/100/150
2) There's quite a bit of difference between team 50 and team 150. URI is #51, Furman #101, and La-Lafayette is #150. We've seen how "good" this URI team, you can imagine how "good" Furman and La-Lafayette is.
The whole point of having a SOS formula is so you don't have to draw the line at some arbitrary cutoff mark. Right now stB is 96, las 97, rich 99, dav 107, w&m 109, gmu 116. It's arbitrary to say that a team's results versus stb lasalle and Richmond are more telling than the results versus Davidson w&m and GMU especially without even looking at venue.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

that really is the only possible way to get an at large.

win out to the A10 finals
have no upsets infront of them in the A10 tourney
loss in the finals must be to Dayton or VCU and must be close
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Joe wrote:Imagine if the committee has to decide between us and PC for the last spot in the tourney? And they see that they beat us during OOC play? That would be.....unpleasant
Hahahahaha if this happens it'll be "One Flew Over the Coco's Nest" around here, I'll be in the lead roll, you'll all think 'poor Running Ram, he's finally lost his last marble,' yet another year URI was supposed to be the top team in state and the other team was supposed to be"rebuilding" and here we are again about to be in the other tourney, while PC is in a better position to get in to the NCAA's because they beat us. It's just sad really, all the excuses and conversation shifting has some people still thinking we are right there, about to put it all together......

because we all see this,
Roz wrote:Play like the first half of GM and we can beat anyone

some of us still think we are good enough to play in the big tourney, our players have enough talent but we can't put it all together, cept for one half game here and one half game there. Every so often two good halves in the same game and two bad halves in the same game, which explains the Cincy and Fordham games in a nutshell.

I love this quote from Good Times URI BB has been doing the "Jimmy Carter Shuffle" for decades now, "Two steps forward and two steps back" which isn't at all "DYNOMITE!!" James Evans Jr., JJ.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It is VERY true that people outside of the state/area have a higher opinion of URI than most on this board. A lot of people still consider this a serious bubble team...on the very surface, record looks 'eh...ok'...but so does sausage...until you see how it is really made...
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

We're back on Bubble Watch today, basically saying what we already know, win out.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....wasn't sure which thread to put this.....wonder what Bress is thinking.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rhodysurf wrote:We're back on Bubble Watch today, basically saying what we already know, win out.
The team I've watched all year is not capable of either winning the next 6 games in a row or 3 straight in Pittsburgh.
A bunch of hacks who haven't been paying attention can speculate all they want, but there are too many holes.
Last edited by rhodyrudder 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyrudder wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:We're back on Bubble Watch today, basically saying what we already know, win out.
The team I've watched all year is not capable of either winning the next 6 games in a row or 3 straight in Pittsburgh.
A bunch of hacks who haven't been paying attention can speculate all they want, but there are too many holes.
But they aren't predicting that we will win out. Nobody is predicting that. They say we need to go 4-0 to "to have a puncher's chance", which means even then it may be a long shot. So what exactly is the speculation here that makes them "hacks"?
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

We're not talking about auto bids, just at-large. So the hacks say if we win 6 in a row, we have a shot at a bid. But they're wrong. We have no chance for an at-large. Period.
For one thing, we can't win 6 in a row so it's irrelevant. But even if we could, the resume stinks. It's over. Pittsburgh or bust.
The A-10 is not a 3-bid league. And even if it were, Rhody's not getting an at-large bid. It's not happening.
Have you been watching?
They can't win big games. They're not about to start now. They're not winning 6 in a row, and they're not winning in Pittsburgh.
Wish I were wrong, but this team is not good enough.
1 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

rhodyrudder wrote:We're not talking about auto bids, just at-large. So the hacks say if we win 6 in a row, we have a shot at a bid. But they're wrong. We have no chance for an at-large. Period.
For one thing, we can't win 6 in a row so it's irrelevant. But even if we could, the resume stinks. It's over. Pittsburgh or bust.
The A-10 is not a 3-bid league. And even if it were, Rhody's not getting an at-large bid. It's not happening.
Have you been watching?
They can't win big games. They're not about to start now. They're not winning 6 in a row, and they're not winning in Pittsburgh.
I think you're wrong. If we win out and reach the A10 finals, an at-large is possible, if not probable.

And if you don't hold out hope that these guys can gain some consistency, why even bother following the team?
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It really shocks me how much the TV talking heads still love Rhody. Dan played right into it with CBSSports post game interview.

Remains to be seen if that love plays a role on selection Sunday.

I'd rather just win out and skip the drama.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:It really shocks me how much the TV talking heads still love Rhody. Dan played right into it with CBSSports post game interview.

Remains to be seen if that love plays a role on selection Sunday.

I'd rather just win out and skip the drama.
I hear ya...it is kind of amazing about the Talking Heads. Agree with win out and reach the A10 final = in.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Thank God for the preseason hype!!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

IMO, winning to the finals is the only chance. And that still may not be enough.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ramfan85 wrote:IMO, winning to the finals is the only chance. And that still may not be enough.
There's also the possibility that other bubble teams keep losing.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Could it come down to us and PC for the last in?

Yikes.....

(shudder)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyrudder wrote:We're not talking about auto bids, just at-large. So the hacks say if we win 6 in a row, we have a shot at a bid. But they're wrong. We have no chance for an at-large. Period.
Have you been watching?
Again, nobody said they are going to win 6 in a row. So you are arguing with nobody right now.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:IMO, winning to the finals is the only chance. And that still may not be enough.
The other bubble teams are losing..

The level of negativity is unwarranted right now.

Weird stat, URI on a 4 game road win streak and a 2 game home slide.

URI looks like they have an identity for the first time since Gil Biruta was giving high fives to TJ Buchanan.

Still have no idea how the URI midgets beat the VCU height, but I think we could win.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:
Have you been watching?
Again, nobody said they are going to win 6 in a row. So you are arguing with nobody right now.
I think they have a serious shot at 6 in a row. They got 2.

Big game at home late in the season. A team that now has the experience it didn't have months ago. A team that has the health that it didn't have a month ago.

If they win Saturday, it really sets up for a 6 in a row.

IF it is 3-0 Saturday night, you get a really beat up Joes team. Hassan Martin and Iverson's senior night. Thats 5.

The 6th would be the quarterfinal game against a middle of the pack A10 squad. Winnable.

6 is within reach for a determined team. Would take guts.
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

Clemson loses by a point vs Vt tech

GT loses at home vs NCSU

Indiana in a close game vs iowa

Miss in a ugly brickfest vs rival miss state

Marquette does win vs St Johns
1 x
Clapton is God
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: I think they have a serious shot at 6 in a row. They got 2.

Big game at home late in the season. A team that now has the experience it didn't have months ago. A team that has the health that it didn't have a month ago.

If they win Saturday, it really sets up for a 6 in a row.

IF it is 3-0 Saturday night, you get a really beat up Joes team. Hassan Martin and Iverson's senior night. Thats 5.

The 6th would be the quarterfinal game against a middle of the pack A10 squad. Winnable.

6 is within reach for a determined team. Would take guts.
I think they have a shot, but no chance I am going to predict it or expect it at this point. Win Saturday and then that might change. I need to see this team go into a big game and not send the fans home disappointed before I'll even think about it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Atlantic 10 Conference
Teams that should be in: VCU, Dayton
Work left to do: Rhode Island

With the exception of Rhode Island sneaking on (or off) the page, this section isn't going to change much in the next couple of weeks. VCU and Dayton are both good enough to deserve bids right now, but nowhere near earning locks, and unlikely to alter that math given the rest of the A-10. Every win is an incremental step; none will be a giant leap.

VCU [22-5 (12-2), RPI: 26, SOS: 63] VCU went ahead and squashed the notion of a surprise Richmond conference title run -- however vague it was by this point -- in Saturday's 84-73 win at the Robins Center. The Spiders jumped out to the top of the standings in the first half of A-10 play; now the Rams and Flyers sit together at 12-2. In a larger sense, Saturday was VCU's eighth win in a row, and yet another solid step toward making their NCAA tournament bid more concrete.

Dayton [21-5 (12-2), RPI: 27, SOS: 82] Dayton trailed by as many as 15 in the first half against St. Bonaventure on Saturday; they eventually rallied, took the lead, and held on for a 76-72 win. As unhelpful as it would have been, the Flyers' position remains strong enough to sustain a loss to a decent team like the Bonnies. But they can't afford more than one or two of those types of losses in the final four outings -- George Mason, at Davidson, VCU, at George Washington -- if they want to feel snug in the bracket by the time the A-10 tourney tips off.

Rhode Island [17-9 (9-5), RPI: 51, SOS: 50] This weekend, the Rams got out of Fairfax, Virginia, with a three-point win at George Mason, which, not for nothing, saw Rhode Island squander most of an 18-point second-half lead. Anyway, the Rams as they currently stand would be an interesting Rorschach test for the committee: How much will raw RPI and SOS ranks factor, especially relative to the breakdown of a team's wins? Rhode Island beat Cincinnati, but has just two other top-100 victories; it probably needs to finish 4-0 -- with a win Saturday over VCU -- to have a puncher's chance.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Interesting what Rothstein said about Belmont being a resume building win since tbey are number one in their conference.
0 x
GO RAMS
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Interesting what Rothstein said about Belmont being a resume building win since tbey are number one in their conference.

that was silly belmont is a nice team but that will never be a resume building win in the eyes of the committee....

another bubble team goes down tonight Indiana loses 5th straight

looks like Ole Miss will hang on in OT but overall bubble teams stumbled tonight opening up possibly a tiny window for us.
0 x
Clapton is God
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Indiana goes down as well!
Yeah we beat VCU Saturday then I think we are a lock to beat st joes and Davidson.
At 21-9 with a respectable RPI we may not look too bad compared to the other bubble teams heading into the conference tournament.
Just fuckin do it damn it!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
Have you been watching?
Are you saying they'll get an at-large even without winning out til the finals, which is 5 more in a row from now?
That's absurd.

I don't understand.
The a-10 tourney champ gets an auto bid...everyone knows that.
If we're not talking about an at-large, then what are we talking about?

I'm saying they will not win the next five games.
But even if they do, it won't be enough without the title.
And they're not winning that either.
We're not dancing this year.

To answer Joe: spite.
Keep dreaming.

Tonight showed absolutely nothing.
Saturday showed nothing.
They have ONE win.
1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
O
N
E

They don't beat good teams.
Ever.

You don't get an invite without earning it, and this team has not even come remotely close to earning it.
Not even close.

The 9 losses are way too many, and in many cases just dreadful.
How many top 25, at-large teams get blown out by LaSalle, Richmond and Fordham?
ZERO!!!!!!!!!!

The 11th place ACC team will get a bid before we do.
WE HAVE 1 WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

College basketball is crazy man, Indiana is now 15-13 but beat Kansas and UNC.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

IU is really scuffling in the last 10 canes and I want Crean fired

VCU is the big one I also agree if we get that game I think we win last 2 to finish 21-9

Look at it this way if we don't beat VCU we don't deserve to be at large anyway
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Did Rothstein mention Belmont played here
without their top player?
Nope!
He has zero credibility.
Same guy who said we were a "dark horse Final Four team."
Seriously?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I agree Belmont at home without their best player is a stretch but we need statements like the ones Rothstein makes to offset some of the garbage that's spewed out in favor of the so called power conference schools who get credit for losing. Plus I don't think the committee will be factoring in that other bubble teams may have got wins versus a team missing players. Off the top of my head, PC beat X when X's roster was decimated and Houston beat us without Martin. I'm sure there are more instances.
2 x