2016-17 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: 2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

jmck wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:People stop reading this Lunardi moron.

He hates your team.

Stop posting his crap.

Doesn't matter.

He sucks. He hates Rhody, there is probably history somewhere.

Stop!!!! I'm begging ya stop!!!!!!!
Probably has something to do with the Ram vs Hawk mascot battle of 1998. Won by the Ram

Never looses its awesomeness. Tyson pretty good too!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Davidson is also a top 100 team. So another top 100 team has no effect? This guy is a tool.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

From a bracketologist who actually knows what he's talking about:

Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

1 more win and we are in.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

theblueram wrote:1 more win and we are in.
Probably right, still depends on what happens with other teams. I can't see four teams from the A10 making the tournament so losing in the final to any team other than VCU would probably knock us out. Indiana could still win the Big Ten and get in as an autobid which would take away a spot for an at large. Cal beating Oregon tonight would probably make them a lock as well.

Overall a win against Davidson tomorrow will put us in a great position and in all likelihood I think we'll get in but at this point it's still not a definite. By the end of the night we'll have an even better idea of whether or not a Davidson win should get us in.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great win.....wish I could have watched it at work, but I followed as much as I could on my phone......

At least tomorrow I will be able to watch....we have CBSSN.......

I agree that we might not have to win the tourney.....but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much if we get to Sunday and lose....if VCU isn't our opponent we have to win it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Great win.....wish I could have watched it at work, but I followed as much as I could on my phone......

At least tomorrow I will be able to watch....we have CBSSN.......

I agree that we might not have to win the tourney.....but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much if we get to Sunday and lose....if VCU isn't our opponent we have to win it.
Totally disagree.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I kinda feel like we have to win the whole thing.
I won't feel safe with a loss on Sunday. At all.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

The chicken little crowd comes out after dark.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 isn't getting 4 bids guys....if VCU stumbles tomorrow it's all or nothing Sunday.

What's so hard to understand about that?

Lunardi still refuses to put us in......bracket matrix now has us ahead of Syracuse, for what it's worth.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Cut down nets and leave no doubt...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think a saw a rerun tonight. Duke just beat a light powder blue team with a familiar fight song by 10 on a neutral court in a tournament. It was North Carolina this evening. In November it was Rhode Island.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:The A10 isn't getting 4 bids guys....if VCU stumbles tomorrow it's all or nothing Sunday.

What's so hard to understand about that?

Lunardi still refuses to put us in......bracket matrix now has us ahead of Syracuse, for what it's worth.
Cuse is a fraud. If they get in, it should be investigated.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes agree on Cuse I will be pissed if they dance

Those ram v hawk highlights were great with Rich Eisen

If we win tomorrow then lose Sunday it will be a long 3.5 hours to wait to find out if we end our dance drought
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Here is where I see it:

the last spot 2 spots in the field are between Kansas State, URI, Syracuse and Illinois St
Kansas St is probably the safest of those 4
That leaves URI, Syracuse and Illinois St for the last spot

This could all change if:
-Middle Tennessee doesn't win the CUSA Final tomorrow
-SMU or Cincy doesn't win the AAC championship
- URI or VCU doesn't win the A10 championship
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

twisted3829 wrote:Here is where I see it:

the last spot 2 spots in the field are between Kansas State, URI, Syracuse and Illinois St

If no one steals a bid you would think it's just URI and cuse.

I know the A10 was in that position with the bonnies last year, but the bonnies didn't play anyone, didn't beat anyone good outside of the conference.

Cuse also has only 2 wins away from the carrier dome and an rpi of 85, much worse than last year's team.

We have a true marquee win, the a10s best in the non conference, we're hot as fuck right now, and I honestly beieve that we may get a fair bounce this year because of the outcry about bonaventure.

Let's just win today.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:

I know the A10 was in that position with the bonnies last year, but the bonnies didn't play anyone, didn't beat anyone good outside of the conference.

Cuse also has only 2 wins away from the carrier dome and an rpi of 85, much worse than last year's team.

We have a true marquee win, the a10s best in the non conference, we're hot as fuck right now, and I honestly beieve that we may get a fair bounce this year because of the outcry about bonaventure.

Let's just win today.
Also St. Bonaventure's other metrics were poor. For instance, take a look at kenpom. Right now we're sitting at 52 and at our worst we were 56. Last year at their best St. Bonaventure was 60th and on selection Sunday they were in the mid 70's. Also St. Bonaventure was one and done in the A10 tournament, we're not.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Also, another factor that's been brought up for other team's but not for us...injuries.

The fully healthy rams are a much different team. Missing hass and jarvis, 2 starters, and missing CT, should carry some weight in our favor.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Your post makes a ton of sense, BM......but Syracuse is Syracuse......a much bigger "draw" to the money grabbers in the NCAA....as in ratings.....

It would SUCK big time to get left out, if it actually does come down to either us or them. But who would be surprised?

Win today, and we're 40 minutes away........
1 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rambone 78 wrote:Your post makes a ton of sense, BM......but Syracuse is Syracuse......a much bigger "draw" to the money grabbers in the NCAA....as in ratings.....

It would SUCK big time to get left out, if it actually does come down to either us or them. But who would be surprised?

Win today, and we're 40 minutes away........
And do you really think the NCAA would keep them out if it's that a-hole's supposed last year coaching?
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

i think next year is his last year
2 x
Clapton is God
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

theblueram wrote:Davidson is also a top 100 team. So another top 100 team has no effect? This guy is a tool.
This is the best example I can give you ...

Team A - Their Top 100 record is 10-7, but their wins are against 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100.
Team B - Their Top 100 record is 7-8, but their wins are against 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70.

Whose wins are more impactful? That's why there is no perfect metric to define the criteria. Everything can be manipulated.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think we're in if we win today. Unless Richmond beats VCU and wins the tourney, which is definitely a possibility.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Davidson is also a top 100 team. So another top 100 team has no effect? This guy is a tool.
This is the best example I can give you ...

Team A - Their Top 100 record is 10-7, but their wins are against 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100.
Team B - Their Top 100 record is 7-8, but their wins are against 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70.

Whose wins are more impactful? That's why there is no perfect metric to define the criteria. Everything can be manipulated.
Fair point but I would think they would at least look at the away/neutral record and sos. Historically they would be doing something no one else has done by getting in with such woeful marks.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lunardi just updated......last four byes are all BE teams......last four in he still has Syracuse at the top of that list....and he now lists only 2 teams left as first out.....us and Ill. State. And no next 4 out....everybody else has fallen off the bubble.

It's like he refuses to see us pass any of those P5 teams just above us......even if we win today I'll bet it doesn't change.

We are also the only team out of the 10 listed that is still playing.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: It's like he refuses to see us pass any of those P5 teams just above us......even if we win today I'll bet it doesn't change.
Because you need to beat GOOD teams. I've been saying this since January, wins are great, you'll never lose ground if you win, but if you don't beat legitimate teams, it's tough to jump people. You're relying on them to lose versus you to win. So Kansas St., they were maybe a hair behind URI before this week, but they go to a neutral court and beat a Top 10 team, you'd have to beat Davidson at least 3 times today to make up for that. That's why the "experts" recommended facing Dayton in that spot, legit team with a tourney resume would be another good win on the resume.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:
twisted3829 wrote: Cuse also has only 2 wins away from the carrier dome and an rpi of 85, much worse than last year's team.

There is a big difference in the away from home record of both URI and Syracuse.

URI 9-6 (last away loss was vs Richmond 01/25/17 - winners of six straight away games)
Game Breakout: Home-16 Neutral-3 Opponent-12
Record 22-9 RPI 40

Syracuse 2-11 (lost their first seven and last four four away games)
Game Breakout: Home-19 Neutral-3 Opponent-10
Record 18-14 RPI 84

The difference in the RPI's for the two teams has a lot to do with the lack of away wins for the Orange.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Let's just win today.
Also St. Bonaventure's other metrics were poor. For instance, take a look at kenpom. Right now we're sitting at 52 and at our worst we were 56. Last year at their best St. Bonaventure was 60th and on selection Sunday they were in the mid 70's. Also St. Bonaventure was one and done in the A10 tournament, we're not.
Most importantly i think Bona lost in the quarters last year. I think thats what killed them
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think we're in if we win today. Unless Richmond beats VCU and wins the tourney, which is definitely a possibility.
In the past we've seen that the Sunday games have had very little effect on the bracket. Seems like the committee wraps everything up early and goes home so I think they will have their mind made up on us after today which could bode well if URI and VCU win today.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Just heard Lunardi talk about us on ESPN. As far as our path to an at-large, we're still alive if we lose in the finals. "But, why risk it?"
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Joe wrote:Just heard Lunardi talk about us on ESPN. As far as our path to an at-large, we're still alive if we lose in the finals. "But, why risk it?"
That segment exposed him for being a URI hating piece of shit. If Middle Tennessee could be an at large team by losing in their conference final to a bum team outside of the top 100...how is URI a bid stealer needing to win the A10 final?

That and he said he only has Cuse in because he didn't last year and was wrong.

Fuck St Joes. Fuck Joey Brackets. I hope someone puts his favorite cereal on the top shelf and takes his step stool.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Blue Man wrote:
Joe wrote:Just heard Lunardi talk about us on ESPN. As far as our path to an at-large, we're still alive if we lose in the finals. "But, why risk it?"
That segment exposed him for being a URI hating piece of shit. If Middle Tennessee could be an at large team by losing in their conference final to a bum team outside of the top 100...how is URI a bid stealer needing to win the A10 final?

Fuck St Joes. Fuck Joey Brackets. I hope someone puts his favorite cereal on the top shelf and takes his step stool.
Facts!!

Middle Tennessee only has FOUR top 100 wins. We have literally twice as many.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Andy Bottoms updated his assembly call bubble watch and has us as the last team in ahead of cuse. A win today would solidify our spot in Dayton.

Given his track record over Lunardi's I will put more stock in this:

http://assemblycall.com/bracketology-br ... h-3-11-17/
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote:Andy Bottoms updated his assembly call bubble watch and has us as the last team in ahead of cuse. A win today would solidify our spot in Dayton.

Given his track record over Lunardi's I will put more stock in this:

http://assemblycall.com/bracketology-br ... h-3-11-17/
Assembly Call - which has been the most accurate - has URI in.
Bracket Matrix has actually been the 4th most accurate, despite not having an actual person making predictions. They have URI in as well.
I've seen Lunardi ranked anywhere between 23rd and 40-something when ranking accuracy.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Joe wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Facts!!

MTSU is not a team I'd want to fight on the bubble with.
They might only have 4 Top 100 wins, but they did go 4-2 against those teams.
They did win at Ole Miss, they did beat Vanderbilt, they also won at Belmont, and they beat UNC-Wilmington on a neutral court.
You give a team like MTSU the benefit of the doubt, whereas someone like Illinois St didn't quite make the most of those opportunities.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The nitty gritty Team Reports on all NCAA teams:
https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Sheets.pdf

URI is on Page 40
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Joe wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Facts!!

They did win at Ole Miss, they did beat Vanderbilt, they also won at Belmont, and they beat UNC-Wilmington on a neutral court.
You give a team like MTSU the benefit of the doubt, whereas someone like Illinois St didn't quite make the most of those opportunities.
But in the scenario where URI beats Davidson and mtsu loses in their conference final...URI has 8 top 100 wins and 2 losses outside of the top 100. MTSU would have 4 Top 100 wins and 3 losses outside of the top 100.

Both of URI's top 25 wins are better than MTSU's best win.

MTSU's worst loss is worse than URI's and they played 26 games outside of the top 100, 15 of those outside of the top 200.

Even if we don't compare the RPI and SOS I don't see how this is even a comparison.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Joe wrote:
Facts!!

But in the scenario where URI beats Davidson and mtsu loses in their conference final...URI has 8 top 100 wins and 2 losses outside of the top 100. MTSU would have 4 Top 100 wins and 3 losses outside of the top 100.

MTSU's worst loss is worse than URI's and they played 26 games outside of the top 100, 15 of those outside of the top 200.

Even if we don't compare the RPI and SOS I don't see how this is even a comparison.
This year more than others people are pushing for the "mid-major" to get a fair chance. And as I've said before, I think it's BS unless a team deserves it. I'm not saying MTSU's resume is better than URI's, but you know that if they lose their conference tournament, there is going to be a lot of media pressure to put them in the bracket, and they have enough of a resume to at least be seriously considered. They aren't one of these teams who goes like 2-5 or 1-4 against the Top 100 with a few bad losses and want a fair crack.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Alabama winning the SEC is another possibility that could change things. I doubt they beat Kentucky but as of now they could still steal a bid.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

This year more than others people are pushing for the "mid-major" to get a fair chance. And as I've said before, I think it's BS unless a team deserves it. I'm not saying MTSU's resume is better than URI's, but you know that if they lose their conference tournament, there is going to be a lot of media pressure to put them in the bracket, and they have enough of a resume to at least be seriously considered. They aren't one of these teams who goes like 2-5 or 1-4 against the Top 100 with a few bad losses and want a fair crack.
Fair points. The A10 being a "high major" always screws us. Not a power conference, but not a bad enough conference where people "feel bad' for us as a cinderella story.

Even though we have the 6th longest NCAA drought between the P5 and A10. Only Northwestern, TCU, Rutgers, Fordham, and Duquesne have waited longer than us.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:Lunardi just updated......last four byes are all BE teams......last four in he still has Syracuse at the top of that list....and he now lists only 2 teams left as first out.....us and Ill. State. And no next 4 out....everybody else has fallen off the bubble.

It's like he refuses to see us pass any of those P5 teams just above us......even if we win today I'll bet it doesn't change.

We are also the only team out of the 10 listed that is still playing.
Again please stop.....

Again he hates our team. Stop!!!

Zero cred talking Rhody......none.

Stop posting this feather head crap!!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Just win
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I feel in my heart of hearts that we punch a ticket with a win today . I think our resume is good enough

But I also know if we win today and lose tomorrow the committee could screw us and not put us in

I would be devastated
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Here's what Andy Bottoms posted on Assembly Call today:

"There are still potential bid thieves in Conference USA (Marshall), American (Connecticut and Central Florida), Atlantic 10 (Davidson and Richmond), and the SEC (Alabama), but otherwise it feels like two of this group will wind up left out: Providence, Wake Forest, USC, Kansas State, Rhode Island, Syracuse, and Illinois State. Maybe Cal, Illinois, and Iowa still have some life, but those seem unlikely."

The only thing that would keep us out of an at large if we beat Davidson is most likely bid stealers. So if Marshall, UConn, Central Florida, Richmond and Alabama lose today and we win then our odds at an at large look very good assuming we lose to VCU in the a10 finals. Marshall vs Middle Tennessee is the only championship game today so even if a few of the other teams win then we go into tomorrow hoping they lose in their conference championships.

Ideally we win the A10 tournament and none of this matters. Go Rhody!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Everyone's favorite, Lunardi makes us last team in.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

we are rooting for the following teams:

SMU currently playing UCF
VCU currently playing Richmond (bid steal only)
Cincinnati playing UCONN at 5
Middle Tennessee playing Marshall at 8:30
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

If there are no bid steals we are in
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

thats why we are rooting for the above teams
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Smu and vcu did their parts
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

urirx wrote:Smu and vcu did their parts
I really did not think that we would be in this position on Selection Sunday given many of the disappointments this season. The team has really surprised me and finished very strong having won the last seven (with only two at home). While I have thought that they had the capability for such a feat, I didn't think they could actually get it done.

I think the VCU win today helps and gives us two possible routes to the tournament. If we had lost to Richmond, it would not have been viewed as a good loss since they are rated behind us. Furthermore, it would have been very unlikely for the committee to take four A-10 schools. We now face #19 RPI rated VCU. A loss to them is not bad and we have already proven we could beat them with the win at home by double digits just two weeks ago. We might therefore still be able to sneak into the field with a loss to such a team. This would not been the case if we got beat a 2nd time by Richmond.

With the way URI has played as of late, they have proved they can play with anyone in the league so the opponent with regards to winning may not matter. Beat the other Rams tomorrow and remove all doubt. We would probably move up seeding if we did as our RPI would drop below 30 and might avoid the play in round.

Leagues like the A-10 and AAC have got shafted in recent years with the first team out. SBU of the A-10 got screwed last year and the year before it was Temple of the AAC (I think SMU of the AAC the season before that). Last year many speculated that the very odd selection of Tulsa (AAC) which nearly no one had predicted was payback for the snub to the AAC the year(s) before. If that was truly the case, is the A-10 in line this year for some crumbs? Furthermore, at this point, it is probably easier for the committee to pencil both VCU and URI in and just switch the seeds based on who gets the auto bid. That way, they can go about seeding and filling in the brackets tonight without having to worry about a big redo.
1 x