2016-17 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Wasn't Lunardi the one who said we'd be in if we won last night? I mean, I didn't agree with it, but I'm pretty sure he's the one who said it.
I've always felt that instead Lunardi giving us some love with his A 10 roots, he doesn't really care for us . With his Martelli connection.

One thing I'll say is I hear all this talk about top 100 wins. I've seen brackets where Wichita St is not in if they don't win their conference tournament. You can use URI, Wich St, Ill St, VCU and try to tell me that they all wouldn't have a few top wins if they were playing in the BE or Big 10 with those schedules. Any mid major misses a couple opportunities in December they can be doomed. Let them play PC, Marquette, SH, NW, Mich St, Ark or teams like that twice every year and there is no doubt in my mind even the Rams would have a few more top wins.
The NCAA selection process is rigged to favor the power conferences and big name schools. These schools will always get the benefit of the doubt while all sorts of changing criteria will be used to deny other teams. It has always been this way.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Agree totally RF. Its aggravating to see some of these teams continually mentioned after they win one big game. I read someone mention Indiana yesterday may have worked their way back in the discussion. They beat Ohio St who is not exactly Kansas on UNC. Illinois loses at Rutgers and still mentioned. Xavier is simply not the team it was in Dec and Jan. Not even close, but its impossible for them to work there way out of the tournament. Vandy, who I believe is a tournament caliber team, but will have 15 losses and will more than likely be in the tournament. 17 and 15 in the SEC . Shouldn't be in. The SEC may be somewhat better this year, but it is yet another conference that has KY and FLA and then a bunch of very marginal teams. Not exactly the ACC. Vandy is hot and playing well now, so that is looked at. But on the other hand Xavier is playing awful and shouldn't be in the tourney based on Dec and Jan. What they are doing now doesn't matter in their case, but when they want to slant something to a team like Vandy, it is let's look at how they are playing now.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

giovanni wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Wasn't Lunardi the one who said we'd be in if we won last night? I mean, I didn't agree with it, but I'm pretty sure he's the one who said it.
I've always felt that instead Lunardi giving us some love with his A 10 roots, he doesn't really care for us . With his Martelli connection.

One thing I'll say is I hear all this talk about top 100 wins. I've seen brackets where Wichita St is not in if they don't win their conference tournament. You can use URI, Wich St, Ill St, VCU and try to tell me that they all wouldn't have a few top wins if they were playing in the BE or Big 10 with those schedules. Any mid major misses a couple opportunities in December they can be doomed. Let them play PC, Marquette, SH, NW, Mich St, Ark or teams like that twice every year and there is no doubt in my mind even the Rams would have a few more top wins.
And the counter argument to that is that they may have a few more wins but also lose significantly more games. Go to a conference with average RPI of 65 from one with average RPI of 130 and solve the puzzle with a few more top wins.... not that simple. URI this year alone lost to comps of SJU and DePaul. And they went 1-2 against the Top 50? Winning vs Nova? Probably not. Winning vs Butler? Maybe 1? How did they do against PC at the Dunk? L. They shown the ability to win at any decent team? No. URI in the Big East based on what was seen this season would be at best an 8-10 team, probably closer to 7-11. And that's not to say I think URI sucks, but that we saw how they performed all season against tourney teams or on the road to know a conference switch with more high-end games probably doesn't net in a more positive outcome.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

The Big East will get 7 teams in the NCAA's. Four teams will lose in the 1st round and Nova will be the only team to make it past the Sweet 16. What's the point in that?
2 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

I think we get the Arch Madness finals loser in the first four. Without a doubt PC deserves to be in
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

the thinning of the bubble has really helped URI backdoor their way into this. GaTech and Illinois are 3rd and 4th out at the moment, but they feel like they're miles away to me
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We should have a much clearer picture of where we stand before we even play on Friday. All the teams in the Last 4 Byes and Last 4 Ins will have played in their tournament. Will be interesting to see if any are still standing by the time we play.
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

I wouldn't be shocked if we got Umass instead of St Bonnies.
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Idk if anyone considers the Campbell Fighting Camels a bid stealer but them and Winthrop are up for the Big South in 10 min
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I heard Disano say yesterday that only 3 mids got at large bids last year. Is that right?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

You can't place uri or other non power conference teams in power conferences and say we would have lost to this team or that team, it's not that simple, the money and level of recruiting is too different.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote:You can't place uri or other non power conference teams in power conferences and say we would have lost to this team or that team, it's not that simple, the money and level of recruiting is too different.
Of course that's true my rebuttal was only to the point that insert URI into a conference such as the Big East and it equals more elite wins. It's not that simple and you can tell just by using the eye test.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I heard Disano say yesterday that only 3 mids got at large bids last year. Is that right?

Depends on what you classify as mids. The five power leagues (ACC/Big Ten/PAC 12/BIG12/SEC) sent 31 teams last year. Only four leagues outside the power conferences had multiple bids last season. They were:

Big East 5
AAC 4
A10 3
MVC 2

This means that the P5 had 26 at large bids while the four leagues listed above had 10 which is all the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA ... Tournament
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Here's a good link to the nitty gritty report:

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Gritty.pdf
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You know what sucks? Davidson is at RPI 105 and George Mason is 106. If they were six and seven spots better, we would have 8 top 100 wins
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

And the counter argument to that is that they may have a few more wins but also lose significantly more games. Go to a conference with average RPI of 65 from one with average RPI of 130 and solve the puzzle with a few more top wins.... not that simple. URI this year alone lost to comps of SJU and DePaul. And they went 1-2 against the Top 50? Winning vs Nova? Probably not. Winning vs Butler? Maybe 1? How did they do against PC at the Dunk? L. They shown the ability to win at any decent team? No. URI in the Big East based on what was seen this season would be at best an 8-10 team, probably closer to 7-11. And that's not to say I think URI sucks, but that we saw how they performed all season against tourney teams or on the road to know a conference switch with more high-end games probably doesn't net in a more positive outcome.
It's impossible to know what our record would be in this year's big east, but to hypothesize that we would have the same record as SJU is ridic.
And how many good road wins does PC have?...Marquette i guess qualifies though they beat no one of consequence in the OOC, and Creighton without their MVP, game changing point guard. The injuries to Xavier and Creighton have made those teams shells of their former selves, to the point where if Xavier gets bounced in first round of BE Tournament they do not deserve a bid. The Top 5 of the BE deserve in no doubt, but Marquette and Xavier are both questionable IMO. And fwiw based on realtimerpi our record vs the Top 25 RPI is 2-2.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If Illinois state loses they are not getting an at-large.
Go witicha state.
We'll be in lunardis bracket by the end of the day if the shockers can win
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So looking at the layout, if Mason and Davidson win their first games, and then the beat Dayton and VCU in the quarters, they would both be top 100. That would give us 8 top 100 wins. If we play SBU in the quarters and win, that would be 9 top 100 and playing Davidson in the semis for another top 100. If we made it to the finals in that scenario, we would have 10 top 100 wins. Just thinking outside of the box.
1 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Jerry Palm's latest last four in:

Wake forest
Kansas St.
Cal
URI.
Attachments
RenderedContent-1BF47232-B7FF-4BC3-8B0F-F55E255B0661.JPG
Last edited by Justns11 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Justns11 wrote:Jerry Palm's latest last four in:

Wake forest
Kansas St.
Cal
URI.
My two favorite schools are in this list. Hoping both make it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Only person on KB, who played a football
for KSU and URI.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If VCU is playing Mason and Dayton is playing Davidson, I'm routing for Mason and Davidson. I would rather get 3 top 100 wins against a chance at playing a top 50.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Normally I'd say yes, but in that scenario we'd need to win the tournament. They're not taking four A10 teams and Dayton and VCU appear to be locks
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

To me VCU is not a lock. I do agree the A10 is most likely getting 2 bids...but only Dayton is the only lock. If VCU were to get bounced early they will be on thin ice.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

How the hell is Cal getting in with that resume?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In that scenario, if we get to the finals we would have 10 top 100 wins. If we play Dayton and win and lose to VCU in the finals we would have 6 top 100 wins. Which is better?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Top 50 wins > Top 100 wins

We need to play Dayton
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Palm lost credibility having Cal in the field as of now that's a joke

VCU got 24 wins now I think even if they lose 1st game they are over 90% in
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

theblueram wrote:In that scenario, if we get to the finals we would have 10 top 100 wins. If we play Dayton and win and lose to VCU in the finals we would have 6 top 100 wins. Which is better?
Shows you how arbitrary that top 100 cutoff line is. I'd rather play the easiest possible schedule in the A10 tourney and go for the win. I'd take any of stB, Dayton and VCU getting upset before we play them, especially Dayton. I'd take that at the expense of losing a chance for a top 50 win.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Top 50 wins > Top 100 wins

We need to play Dayton
1 win in the top 50 is better than adding 3 wins in the top 100?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

RPI is always used for the bigger conferences and also the BE , when in their favor, but not a factor for supposed lesser conferences;. What is URI and PCs RPI? Ken Pom? URI , yes, lost games they should have won, but in Nov and Dec. Give them those same games now. Lets play along and consider it a fantastic win vs X without Sumner and Bluett. Or SH, Creighton shorthanded. Mediocre league to begin with, not questionable to those that have eyes and discretion.Great win at St Johns, ok. Should have been played at Rucker. Depaul was awesome win too. Where do RPIs start? Where do many of these metrics start? Much of it is on expectations and last year's play. Ridiculous. Let's say PC is better than URI, they beat them very "handily" in early Dec, how many games you think they would win if they played 10 times now? I am sure you probably thing 8 or 9. Joke. BE was great last year, this year, not even close. Big 10 and SEC are the same. Deeper, yes, but let's shift finances to a a mid major program. Top level teams in mid majors can easily play with all these P% bubble schools and extremely overrated BE. Its not about Duquesne, St Louis, Bradley, Drake. Its about the top mid major teams.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

4 of the 7 teams being considered for the NBE are bubble teams.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Nova and Butler are very good. Creighton has a lot of talent but is borderline top 25 team without Watson.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The committee has taken into context injuries and other nuances within the season. They cannot ignore that Xavier and Creighton are not close to what they were in Dec & Jan. For Xavier that should put them on the outside looking in, and for Creighton the wins against them after losing Watson have to be taken with a grain of salt. They are moreso a Top 40 team without Watson, whereas they were playing as a Top 15 team with him.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'd cal gets in then I want an investigation, for gods sake
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

giovanni wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

RPI is always used for the bigger conferences and also the BE , when in their favor, but not a factor for supposed lesser conferences;. What is URI and PCs RPI? Ken Pom? URI , yes, lost games they should have won, but in Nov and Dec. Give them those same games now. Lets play along and consider it a fantastic win vs X without Sumner and Bluett. Or SH, Creighton shorthanded. Mediocre league to begin with, not questionable to those that have eyes and discretion.Great win at St Johns, ok. Should have been played at Rucker. Depaul was awesome win too. Where do RPIs start? Where do many of these metrics start? Much of it is on expectations and last year's play. Ridiculous. Let's say PC is better than URI, they beat them very "handily" in early Dec, how many games you think they would win if they played 10 times now? I am sure you probably thing 8 or 9. Joke. BE was great last year, this year, not even close. Big 10 and SEC are the same. Deeper, yes, but let's shift finances to a a mid major program. Top level teams in mid majors can easily play with all these P% bubble schools and extremely overrated BE. Its not about Duquesne, St Louis, Bradley, Drake. Its about the top mid major teams.
The point is bubble teams/no bubble teams, there are two gimmies in the Big East, and 1 of them, St Johns, ranks higher in KenPom than about 10 other A10 teams. Use any metric you want to determine strength of the BE to the A10, BE might not have the top end fire power it did last year but it's competitive Top to bottom. So if you're best true road win was against a KenPom team ranked 85, and in the BE that same team would rank basically right around SJU-Georgetown-DePaul, how do you want me to perceive it? So would URI magically figure out a season worth of road troubles playing in a tougher conference? That's why the "if we played in conference X we'd get more big wins" convo is bogus. It's only true if you've proven you can handle those moments.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What about RPI? Where do the jonnies rank on that? SJU has a better RPI than 5 A10 schools. not too impressive. Although they have a better RPI than Saint Joes, who is 4-14 in conference play.
Last edited by theblueram 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:What about RPI? Where do the jonnies rank on that? SJU has a better RPI than 5 A10 schools. not too impressive.
Who is saying SJU is impressive? My point was that if I pull up an unbiased strength metric (KenPom), and I look at URIs schedule, and I look at lines that have the words "win" and "away" in them, the best one is Davidson who has the number 85 next to them. And then if I click on the button for the Big East, and I read the numbers next to their teams, in order it would read "2-22-26-28-43-53-54-70-92-179." And if I do the same for the A10, it would read "31-49-51-85-90-94-115-124-135-150-173-197-218-276." So if you really believe your team would still boost a tourney resume in a tougher conference after barely being able to navigate a notable weaker one, so be it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

URI has better RPI, BPI and KenPom than PC. Yet PC is considered a lock and URI is on the bubble. Rubbish.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
theblueram wrote:What about RPI? Where do the jonnies rank on that? SJU has a better RPI than 5 A10 schools. not too impressive.
Who is saying SJU is impressive? My point was that if I pull up an unbiased strength metric (KenPom), and I look at URIs schedule, and I look at lines that have the words "win" and "away" in them, the best one is Davidson who has the number 85 next to them. And then if I click on the button for the Big East, and I read the numbers next to their teams, in order it would read "2-22-26-28-43-53-54-70-92-179." And if I do the same for the A10, it would read "31-49-51-85-90-94-115-124-135-150-173-197-218-276." So if you really believe your team would still boost a tourney resume in a tougher conference after barely being able to navigate a notable weaker one, so be it.
URI finished 13-5. I find it laughable you say they barely were able to negotiate this league. URI is still a top 50 team. I guess you don't count that one on pc's resume. Let's see how this bubble bursts. The NBE has 4 teams on the bubble. Let the games begin.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
URI finished 13-5. I find it laughable you say they barely were able to negotiate this league. URI is still a top 50 team. I guess you don't count that one on pc's resume. Let's see how this bubble bursts. The NBE has 4 teams on the bubble. Let the games begin.
Perhaps I misspoke... when I referenced navigate, it was in regards to Tournament position. When A10 play started, URI was still in good shape for a tournament birth. But after no notable wins and 3 tough losses (LaSalle, Richmond, Fordham), on Feb 15th they were all but left for dead with an 8-5 conference record. Credit them for turning it around the last portion of the season, but point was that in a more challenging conference, 5 losses would have probably been 8, and the remaining schedule probably would have included 3-4 tough games instead of 1.

You can't just take the good out of it that "If we played in that conference we would have won 1-2 more Top games."
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If PC loses their first round game they should be on the bubble

Who do they play ??
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

reef wrote:If PC loses their first round game they should be on the bubble

Who do they play ??
Creighton
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Have no issue with PC considered in - Marquette and Xavier are the BE teams that should be squarely on the bubble with work left to do.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote:URI has better RPI, BPI and KenPom than PC. Yet PC is considered a lock and URI is on the bubble. Rubbish.
Not that I don't think Pc should be in, but these statistics should matter, and this is why people have a problem with these mediocre P5 schools such as Georgia Tech who's RPI is in the low 90's! But go 4-10 against top 50 and everything else seems to not matter, it's unbelievable.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Perhaps I misspoke... when I referenced navigate, it was in regards to Tournament position. When A10 play started, URI was still in good shape for a tournament birth. But after no notable wins and 3 tough losses (LaSalle, Richmond, Fordham), on Feb 15th they were all but left for dead with an 8-5 conference record. Credit them for turning it around the last portion of the season, but point was that in a more challenging conference, 5 losses would have probably been 8, and the remaining schedule probably would have included 3-4 tough games instead of 1.

You can't just take the good out of it that "If we played in that conference we would have won 1-2 more Top games."

La Salle is RPI 128 and Richmond is 85. Not sure where you are getting your bad/tough losses numbers from.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

La Salle is RPI 128 and Richmond is 85. Not sure where you are getting your bad/tough losses numbers from.
Well usually anything over 100 is a bad loss, and at the time that was what those two were considered. Richmond hasn't turned out to be as bad of a loss as originally anticipated, but even so you're talking about a program that probably is headed to the CBI if anything at all. Personally, I'd consider Richmond a tough loss, although not a bad loss.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Replace those with St. John's DePaul and BC - wait who lost to those powerhouses?
2 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Why not look at bubble team top 25 wins. Uri has at least one, maybe two if vcu is there. How many other bubble teams can say that
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote:

St John's is not good. Not good at all. Georgetown is not good, not good at all. Xavier is not good, not good at all. RPIS show its deficiency with these type schools. Ok, they are certainly far superior to Duquesnse, Fordham, UMass. But neither are they as good as Dayton, VCU, URI. Sorry, thats is very biased and a belief that you are upper echelon over those who you believe are inferior, which is a very old and long and arrogant argument. Jay Bilas, smart guy, Jay Williams, smart guy, Steve Lavin smart guy,Seth Davis ( moron), but who are these guys ultimately paid by? A 10 people? No they are paid by the contracts of ACC, B 10, 12, BE, so on. Their comments are typically not very objective. How long do you think Jimmy Jackson would last of Fox saying anything negative about Big East? Its funny I am sure you believe PC or SH could run through the A 10 like they were Kansas. Hysterical. They would have the same losses as URI or VCU, if not more. You play to your league and competition. Again, we are not talking about low level A 10 or Missouri Valley teams, but the very top teams. I supposed PC and SH would run over Gonzaga too. I have been as critical as anyone as to the strength of A 10 and URI. But let's try to get a little hate out of the way and step into a bit of reality.
0 x