2016-17 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by adam914 »

gorhody89 wrote:I do think having a name of "hurley" as our coach as well as preseason hype could help us a small small amount.
I have almost brought this up on a few different occasions, but then stopped myself because I figured I would get killed for it. But I am willing to bet that if we are legitimately on the bubble then the Hurley name could absolutely carry some weight in our favor. The committee likes to make matchups that will get people excited as well. If that opportunity is there they may take advantage of it.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Whatever helps
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just win some effin games starting tonight!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think DH set us up well with the schedule so if we do what we need to do we won't get Bonaventured
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bracketology – 2017 NIT Tournament Predictions
http://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RF1...that was before last night.....I think we'll be about a 3 or a 4 seed when the time comes.

I'm so excited........
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Plenty of room on the NiT banner for 2017. Easier than having to lay out the cash to get a new NCAA banner right?
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We should not accept an NIT bid. This season is NCAA or bust. Accepting it, is accepting and rewarding failure.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote:We should not accept an NIT bid. This season is NCAA or bust. Accepting it, is accepting and rewarding failure.

There is no way URI will turn down an NIT bid. Furthermore, even though it would have little appeal to me, a bid should be accepted as URI will meet the qualifications for that level. It however will still be a bitter disappointment given the high expectations. I would also guess that fans and players will likely have little enthusiasm for it.

Get ready for the excuses soon to come about why this season failed to live up to the hype We will hear more about how hard it is to make the NCAA and how close we came. You will hear that luck for some reason was not with us as the close losses attest to. The spin will be the NIT was not the goal but it is an honor to compete in such a fine tournament.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not accepting it would let him show that the NCAA is our goal and anything less is a failure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Isn't it pretty rare for a team to turn down an NIT bid?
Anyway,
We were first 4 in or last 4 out or not close depending on different bracketology experts BEFORE last nights game so the path is clear. Must win out in A10 season, including a must win vs VCU
Must at least get to the finals of the A10 Tournament.
Winning the A10 season is out since we are two games back of Dayton and lost both head to head games in case we were to end up tied with them. Last night was a huge game for both teams.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

At large is dead. Need to make sure we get the double bye to have some shot at winning A10T
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It may be rare but it happens...and it would be his chance to make a bold statement that the NIT isn't good enough when your very public goal was the NCAA and you were in the top 25 at one point.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RIFan wrote:It may be rare but it happens...and it would be his chance to make a bold statement that the NIT isn't good enough when your very public goal was the NCAA and you were in the top 25 at one point.
while I agree with that sentiment, if it is another NIT year, I want them there.

EC still has ring rust to shake off, the more reps the better
Hass and KI deserve a post season run for all of their hard work here
Dowtin getting reps in post season play is a great experience builder

NCAA or NIT, playing in the postseason still matters to national attention.

If its NIT, I'll be pissed and not attend any games in person, but they still should go
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Could we be headed to an NIT matchup with the Friars?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......by not going to the NIT, I think it would be a disservice to the seniors to have them the opportunity to play a national post season tourney......maybe to the bright lights of Broadway.....power programs with NCAA history can turn down the NIT, I suppose....NIT is often that stepping stone post season that programs on their way up use......we are still that....maybe this NIT discussion can become it's own topic, when apparent that is the outcome....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Sure we can go the the NIT and play in front of a 1/2 empty arena, who's fans and players know this is the losers bracket, and even if they win the NIT, the season was a failure. I just hope we win the A10 Tourney and salvage this sinking ship. If not, we may have to enlist Robert Ballard...

There are years when the NIT is acceptable and an accomplishment, but I would say this season is not one of them. This season it would not be a reward for success, it would be salt in the wound.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

giovanni wrote:Could we be headed to an NIT matchup with the Friars?
Fuck me...
Can you say 8 in a row?
Or a big fat "SO WHAT?!?!?" if we win...
Talk about a lose-lose.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Let the players decide
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If we get a NIT home game, we will draw 750 people
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:If we get a NIT home game, we will draw 750 people
Much depends on who we play

Could easily end up being PC since they match teams up in the first round based on regions and oftentimes rivalries
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wait! We need to go to the NIT to get
rust off EC and give 44% free throw shooter, Dowtin
"more reps"?
Maybe another chance for PC to make it 8 straight over us?
National attention? Can anyone name the last two
NIT champs?
It's great for developing programs with many younger players.
I don't see that in this team of veterans.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know Rod, the only people who watch NIT games are the diehard fans of the two schools playing.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Would be the first game against PC in my life that not only will I not go, I won't even watch on TV.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Even TP has sunk into depression. Sad state of affairs. Screw the NIT
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nobody wants the NIT, there should be no surprises there.
Just let the players decide to go or not go. They are going to be pretty disappointed if they don't make the Dance.

But it is still not over.
We will be favored in all remaining games.
The A10 Tournament just becomes much more critical and winning the A10 Tournament may be required now to Dance. Making the Finals - maybe - but probably have to win it.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

CBS amazingly still has URI as an 11 seed with their update today.

I am still very confident that winning out all the way to the finals will get us in. Even a loss in the semis would leave it at 50/50. That would be 23-9 with an RPI around 30 and 2 very good wins
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

There are still many ways for URI to get an at large bid.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ramster wrote:Nobody wants the NIT, there should be no surprises there.
Just let the players decide to go or not go. They are going to be pretty disappointed if they don't make the Dance.

But it is still not over.
We will be favored in all remaining games.
The A10 Tournament just becomes much more critical and winning the A10 Tournament may be required now to Dance. Making the Finals - maybe - but probably have to win it.
I don't know about being favored against VCU. You may be right. But, personally, I wouldn't make us the favorite, even playing here. I guess we'll see.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

We'll be favorite in all of our remaining games.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

We were favorites against LaSalle and Dayton too. At home. Last night with as great a crowd as Dan could've wanted. But yet again, we find a way to choke it away and blow our chances at an at-large. Being a favorite means nothing in determining the outcome of a game. Pittsburgh or bust (most likely bust to Dayton or VCU in the semis).
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

We're playing our best basketball of the season. Hurley is coaching the best I've seen him coach. Winning 6 games that you're favorite in to close out the season. That's what DANCE teams do. NO?

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Are we playing our best basketball of the season? I'd argue that came in a 3 game stretch back in November when we got our only 2 quality wins (Cinci, and believe it or not, Belmont) and gave Duke a game at Mohegan. Since then, we've lost every resume building game and have beaten up on a weak A-10. We're 7-0 against teams with losing records in conference, 1-4 against teams with winning records as an FYI. Teams that dance, win the game last night. Period.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's been a pretty sorry year to date. Outside Cinci, which now is a fluke, this team can't win big games. I feel about the same as when CFL was hired. Disinterested.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

bonnie, gw home and davidson, umass away is a solid 4 game stretch then to lose to dayton by 1. It's our best basketball. Hell we could go 5-1 as long as vcu win and lose in finals as long as vcu or dayton win tournament and I think we are a lock.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

November 26, 2002. A team from URI has not danced since the Ryan Center opened.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Kinda funny the idea that this program could even remotely think they're "too good for the NIT.". Great headline...."URI which has just 6 NIT and ZERO NCAA appearances in the 17 years of this century, has turned down an invite to the NIT, citing________". Citing WHAT??? Hurt feelings? Too much sadness? Disappointment ?

Will anyone care or go to the games? No. (Well, I might, but there will be plenty of good seats available.)
None of us has to go, but let's get a grip...the team would have to..not even a discussion.

I think with the 'real' as opposed to 'hoped for' status of the program...they're obligated to go.

But, as for me and my house...huge hope still lives on that they can make the real tournament.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would say if they play a home game in the NIT it should be played in Keaney Gym, but that would be a slight on Keaney Gym. Kinda sucks we have had two coaches in the last 16 years and neither can make the NCAAT.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd agree that this stretch of the last 8 games where we have gone 6-2 has been our best playing of the season.
I'm optimistic over the remaining games including the VCU game.
Honestly I would not want to be playing is in Pittsburgh. We are steadily improving and narrowing the playing time.
Good enough for dancing? Long shot. But we are better now than during the OOC schedule imho
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:At large is dead.
Strongly disagree. CBS had them in as last four in as part of the official NCAA selection committee bracket reveal this afternoon. Official release only ranked the top 16, but Jerry Palm filled in the rest based on that. Rams as an 11 seed playing a play-in vs Ohio State.

NEED to win out, though. A win over VCU gets them on the right side of the bubble.

Also, Cuse and Seton Hall lost today. There's two bubble teams that were ahead of URI that now should be behind them.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote:I would say if they play a home game in the NIT it should be played in Keaney Gym, but that would be a slight on Keaney Gym. Kinda sucks we have had two coaches in the last 16 years and neither can make the NCAAT.
Crazy idea but I'd be there. Can Keaney be cleared still by SKFD for a large event?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

How in the hell are we an at large? Because we lose to good teams? We have one good win.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wait! We need to go to the NIT to get
rust off EC and give 44% free throw shooter, Dowtin
"more reps"?
Maybe another chance for PC to make it 8 straight over us?
National attention? Can anyone name the last two
NIT champs?
It's great for developing programs with many younger players.
I don't see that in this team of veterans.
Not saying we need anything. Just saying playing NIT games wouldn't be completely without benefit. Regardless of the massive disappointment
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Gentleman, There is a ton of basketball left. We ain't stuck in the freak4n NIT yet. We have a 48 % chance of having a 33 rpi or better at the end of the season. We are still right in the middle of an at large free for all. All 11-12 seeds have flees. Put your big girl panties on we ain't done yet.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Strongly disagree. CBS had them in as last four in as part of the official NCAA selection committee bracket reveal this afternoon. Official release only ranked the top 16, but Jerry Palm filled in the rest based on that. Rams as an 11 seed playing a play-in vs Ohio State.

NEED to win out, though. A win over VCU gets them on the right side of the bubble.

Also, Cuse and Seton Hall lost today. There's two bubble teams that were ahead of URI that now should be behind them.
I strongly disagree with TP as well. Our chances are not dead. Still a lot of basketball still to be played.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Can anyone provide legitimate reasons why you think we still have a chance at an at large bid? Or how we can have confidence in winning out, with road games at GM, at La Salle, and home VCU?
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

I strongly disagree with TP as well. Our chances are not dead. Still a lot of basketball still to be played.
Wait, so Syracuse, Seton Hall were ahead of us..we lost, and they both lost...so how in the hell can you possibly have us jumping them when we lost a home game?

That literally makes ZERO sense.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote:
ramster wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

Wait, so Syracuse, Seton Hall were ahead of us..we lost, and they both lost...so how in the hell can you possibly have us jumping them when we lost a home game?

That literally makes ZERO sense.
Correct, Syracuse is in...c'mon folks...like it or not, they were in before the season started and will be in when it ends. PM me for 'buy you a beer' bets....(limited time offer :lol: )
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Rhody15 wrote:Can anyone provide legitimate reasons why you think we still have a chance at an at large bid? Or how we can have confidence in winning out, with road games at GM, at La Salle, and home VCU?
OK I'll riddle this, last five games stbonnie gw home win, umass, davidson away win, freaken silly should have won 1 pt loss dayton is why. That's good basketball. Now as I am your typical nitwit glass half full URI fan who cares. Computers say we have a 48 % chance being 33 rpi or better at end of season. No goofy I don't see it or I see it uri fan. 33RPI heading into the a-10 tourney is right f'n smack in the at large free for all.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x