2016-17 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:"We've got to win all our home games plus not lose any road games."

Reasonable take

TP,
I looked back and don't see where anyone said this. Why did you put in "quotes"? Did you just misread or trying to stir the pot?
Paraphrasing to make a point.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

On February 11th, the NCAA selection committee is going to unveil their top 16 teams during a 12:30 broadcast on CBS. As part of the show CBS will have Jerry Palm on to project the whole field and discuss bubble teams.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... twitter_si

Rhode Island (12–6, 4–2) was one of the last four teams in the field in this week’s Bracket Watch. The Rams have a win over Cincinnati on which they can hang their hat, and are safely in the top tier of the conference, along with Dayton and VCU. The key for them will simply be staying the course. In a conference like the A-10, teams won’t have many chances to build a strong at-large résumé, at least via signature wins. Rhode Island’s path to the tournament will have to be littered with expected wins, true road victories, and maybe a triumph over Dayton or VCU for good measure. Given the landscape of the conference, this is a big week for Dan Hurley’s squad. Rhode Island visits a decent Richmond team on Wednesday and hosts St. Bonaventure on Saturday.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

adam, thanks for posting that....pretty good analysis of our chances....the only thing I would add is that a win over Dayton or VCU imo is a must.

Big week coming up indeed.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:adam, thanks for posting that....pretty good analysis of our chances....the only thing I would add is that a win over Dayton or VCU imo is a must.

Big week coming up indeed.
Yeah I thought it was a pretty fair analysis as well. And I tend to agree, wins over Dayton and/or VCU are very important at this point. Winning both of them would make things a hell of a lot easier.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

kal-65 wrote:with 68 spots in the touney,counting the 4 play in games,32 conferences have an automatic bid

right now only 14 conference leaders have a rpi of 50 or less---hence 18 [32-14] are above 50

my math [68-18= 50] indicates that around 48 to 50 will be the last ones in

what changes are lesser conference upsets,and the lobbying of the p-6 conferences to get above 50 rpi teams in the tourney.--DOES THE A-10 HAVE ANYONE ON THE SELECTION GROUP
Nope...but maybe Northeastern's got our back?

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... -committee
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can't forget about those bid stealers. If we are looking like one of the last four in, we'll be in big jeopardy from a bid stealer. If it's between us and some fringe ACC school, they're gonna get in over us.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:A little early to say.......
I don't think so...at the end of the year, take a look at "teams that beat Duke @ Duke" and would venture that they all get in...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:Can't forget about those bid stealers. If we are looking like one of the last four in, we'll be in big jeopardy from a bid stealer. If it's between us and some fringe ACC school, they're gonna get in over us.
All day every day and twice on Sunday...I mean, Syracuse is in, right?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

anyone ever been to a game @Davidson? What's the arena like? Usually full...? Anyone going?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Davidson is a cozy arena. Not a bad seat in the house. They like their basketball...and have good, vocal crowds.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ESPN Insider has an article up about how the Atlantic 10 is a breeding ground for giant killers in the tournament and could be poised to do it again this year. I don't have Insider, so I can't tell for sure, but it seems like URI will be mentioned in that article as one of three teams that could do damage if we make the tournament.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Saw that too.
They probably won't say anything we don't already know.
Always nice to see us talked about though.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody highlighted.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It says Rhody has work to do to just go Dancing. No kidding.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Did you know the sun is going to set in the west today. You heard it here first
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It's simple at this point right?
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It is simple...although doing this isn't......

9-0....dancing
8-1....dancing with 1 win in A10T
7-2....dancing with appearance in A10T final
anything less....have to win A10T

And in the short term, if we don't go at least 2-1 in our next 3 games....then any and all hope of an at large is long gone.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

And any of those scenarios except winning the A10 T where we don't get in would not be a snub.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right now we are not passing the eye test either
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:"We've got to win all our home games plus not lose any road games."

Reasonable take

TP,
I looked back and don't see where anyone said this. Why did you put in "quotes"? Did you just misread or trying to stir the pot?
Paraphrasing to make a point.
no, you're just making s**t up. the only people who said that were kool aid drinkers who said it sarcastically to mock those questioning the team
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No, that's basically what Rambone said.
1 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

If we lose to Davidson and VCU, and win the rest of our games (my prediction) then according to RPI Wizard our end of the season RPI will be 29. That should be enough to get us in, no?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Joe wrote:If we lose to Davidson and VCU, and win the rest of our games (my prediction) then according to RPI Wizard our end of the season RPI will be 29. That should be enough to get us in, no?
Yes, plus the cincy win which is one hell of a win right now.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:No, that's basically what Rambone said.
No, that's NOT what I said, and you know it. Whatever your "point" was, you missed it, badly.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I've never been accused of missing my own point before, but I definitely miss yours all the time.

What you actually said is that we need to win all the home games plus beat some good teams on the road. Since we are far more likely to lose to good teams on the road than to bad ones, you're more or less saying what I paraphrased it as. And yes, I paraphrased it how I did to make a point - I took dramatic license to highlight the logical flaw in what you said. I did that intentionally and I stand by it and I never tried to say it was a verbatim quote.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Updated this morning, URI is still 5th out. A10 only gets two in with Richmond dropping off entirely and VCU moving off the bubble and into a 9 seed.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Updated SI Bubble Watch from Tuesday BEFORE our win vs GW.

Good breakdown by conference. Not saying anything we don't already know, but it's good to have some of our opinions seconded by professional college hoop journalists.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... sec-pac-12
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Updated this morning, URI is still 5th out. A10 only gets two in with Richmond dropping off entirely and VCU moving off the bubble and into a 9 seed
Most of these A-10 wins aren't gonna do anything for us
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I've never been accused of missing my own point before, but I definitely miss yours all the time.

What you actually said is that we need to win all the home games plus beat some good teams on the road. Since we are far more likely to lose to good teams on the road than to bad ones, you're more or less saying what I paraphrased it as. And yes, I paraphrased it how I did to make a point - I took dramatic license to highlight the logical flaw in what you said. I did that intentionally and I stand by it and I never tried to say it was a verbatim quote.
TP,
I knew at the time what you were doing, trying to stir the pot with Rambone. I get it and got it at the time. Where I think you were wrong is when you put your statement in "quotes" because you are even admitting now that Rambone did not say we had to win every game. Don't you thing using quotes was not exactly right?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, it's not worth the energy to type a response to TP.....he's made a mountain out of a molehill as usual.....

as we are obviously lower in intellectual capacity as the great one.....in his opinion of course.

I'm done with it.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:I've never been accused of missing my own point before, but I definitely miss yours all the time.

didnt accuse you of missing your own point, just called you on making sh*t up.

attributing false quotes that never happened isnt dramatic license, its flat out lying. Own it and piss off
0 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

didnt accuse you of missing your own point, just called you on making sh*t up.

attributing false quotes that never happened isnt dramatic license, its flat out lying. Own it and piss off
I wasn't talking to you. If you'd read more and pop off less, you'd have known that.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:

TP,
I knew at the time what you were doing, trying to stir the pot with Rambone. I get it and got it at the time. Where I think you were wrong is when you put your statement in "quotes" because you are even admitting now that Rambone did not say we had to win every game. Don't you thing using quotes was not exactly right?
Yes, if we didn't have a quote feature. I didn't do this:
ramster wrote:TP is right as usual!
I threw the quotation marks on there to indicate that I wasn't saying it. Like you said, it was obvious what I was doing. I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up, but if people want to talk about it I will defend myself against the whining stupidity.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Pretty sure if URI loses more than one game for the remainder of the schedule (not including A10 Tournament), they won't make the dance. Just have a feeling. Rhody needs to win their road games at the very least, in my opinion. Crossing my fingers.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So if we lose to UMass and LaSalle but win all others leading to A10 tournament you don't think we would be in an excellent position? RPI would be high 20s and we would have wins vs Davidson VCU Dayton. Plus we would maybe tied for regular season champions.

Doesn't add up.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why do we have to lose to UMass? If we beat Davidson, beat them too...I like that idea better.

Anyway, if we lose to UMass do people think we will beat the others mentioned?

ATP, that would be great but seriously.......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Why do we have to lose to UMass? If we beat Davidson, beat them too...I like that idea better.
!!!!!

This idea is exactly what I'm talking about. We have to beat Davidson, and if we do, what excuse do we have to lose any other game? (I'm not using quotations here because I don't want to confuse any dim people, but to be clear I am paraphrasing the sum and substance of an argument that I am not making.)

Sometimes shit just happens. Sometimes you play up or you play down, sometimes you catch the other team on a good night or a bad night. Sometimes one matchup is better than another.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

"Dim people"....wow you are outdoing yourself.........
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not calling anyone in particular dim. I'm just saying, in case there are any around I don't want to confuse them.

Anyway, focus on my point, not my jokes. Do you see the issue that I have with the way you talk about this topic? Regardless of whether you agree with me, does it make sense?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Listen TP, your "jokes" don't come across as jokes....you say that to defend yourself......

Anyway, I know we don't have to win them all the rest of the way, nor will we.....but good grief, wouldn't it be nice if we finally did?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Why do we have to lose to UMass? If we beat Davidson, beat them too...I like that idea better.

Bone, I was replying to The Dude who felt that we could only afford one loss entering Pittsburgh. This is how this place works best. Someone posts a point with specific ideas. Another person replies and counters those specific ideas and concepts with their position, hopefully supported by more than just feelings.

So I provided a random situation where if we lose to UMass and LaSalle and win all other games entering Pittsburgh our RPI would be approximately 26, nevermind we'd be in the top 3 of the league standings at worst.

tldr - for those who simply do not read others' posts in full -- No Shit, we'd prefer to only lose one game vs 2 games before A10 tournament.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Or none at all! If we would just not ever lose any games it would solve a lot of the problems are here. People would get along swimmingly.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Understand, ATP.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:

Bone, I was replying to The Dude who felt that we could only afford one loss entering Pittsburgh. This is how this place works best. Someone posts a point with specific ideas. Another person replies and counters those specific ideas and concepts with their position, hopefully supported by more than just feelings.

So I provided a random situation where if we lose to UMass and LaSalle and win all other games entering Pittsburgh our RPI would be approximately 26, nevermind we'd be in the top 3 of the league standings at worst.

tldr - for those who simply do not read others' posts in full -- No Shit, we'd prefer to only lose one game vs 2 games before A10 tournament.

2015-16 St Bonaventure to a tee. RPI 28 and regular season co-champs
0 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

As explained approximately 300 times already, St. Bonaventure is not a good comparison because they were punished for playing absolutely nobody in OOC. URI played the 15th best OOC schedule this year; Bona played the 150th best last year. If URI can somehow pick up wins against Dayton and VCU (big "if" obviously), it's resume will be better than Bona's in almost every meaningful way, and much better in many regards. And it was considered controversial to leave Bona out, which I would keep in mind. Overall, it's just a lazy comparison without much going for it other than it's a convenient excuse for some people to wring their hands.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:2015-16 St Bonaventure to a tee. RPI 28 and regular season co-champs
C'mon, man. We've gone over this so many times how Rhody's situation is nowhere like Bona last year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:"Dim people"....wow you are outdoing yourself.........
Remember when you called people "too thick headed to understand"?
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:As explained approximately 300 times already, St. Bonaventure is not a good comparison because they were punished for playing absolutely nobody in OOC. URI played the 15th best OOC schedule this year; Bona played the 150th best last year. If URI can somehow pick up wins against Dayton and VCU (big "if" obviously), it's resume will be better than Bona's in almost every meaningful way, and much better in many regards. And it was considered controversial to leave Bona out, which I would keep in mind. Overall, it's just a lazy comparison without much going for it other than it's a convenient excuse for some people to wring their hands.
And we haven't beat anyone good on the road. Having an RPI of 30 and a strong OOC schedule doesn't mean the tournament committee can't find another reason to leave us out.

Not that I'm looking for reasons for us to be excluded but I think some people get too caught up in the fact that we have a better OOC schedule than the Bonnies did. There are other flaws the tournament committee can look at to exclude a team.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Glad you brought that up. St. Bona finished last season with a LRPI (road and neutral games only) of 51. URI is better even in an area that we perceive as a weakness - ours is 43.

The committee can always find a nit to pick. When you're dealing with 9, 10, 11, seeds, nobody's resume is going to be perfect. Bona had an almost unprecedentedly bad OOC schedule last year and they got dinged for it. I don't think URI has a similar egregious flaw.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x