Early Top 25 Lists for 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Early Top 25 Lists for 2016-17

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

One more time.

25 wins, A10 title and sweet 16....

Anything less is unsat I say.

It's time.

Win.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: I'd rather they be not hyped and perform at a high level than hyped and not perform (which has happened more often than not).
I mean, do you really think anybody else here is going to disagree with this? You say it like you're taking some stand that nobody else is willing to take.

But its early May, someone put out a Top 25 poll for next season, why would you not want to be included on it rather then left out of it?

I can't even believe this is a discussion.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hard to believe we are as high as 15 but I agree this is good news. Time for us to make it happen
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't see at all why it's hard to believe.
Believers believe.
Non believers don't
Pretty simple
If you are in a preseason poll you are in a preseason poll
Nobody pays marketing or advertising dollars to be included in such polls
Is that hype? Depends on how you define hype I suppose
But I love it regardless
The season will be what it will be - that's why they play the games

Nice way to spend the summer - "in" Preseason polls instead of "not in" preseason polls.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: Nice way to spend the summer - "in" Preseason polls instead of "not in" preseason polls.
This is the bottom line right here. You can either be in the offseason poll or not on it. There are no games to play yet, there is no way for teams to "show" us anything yet or prove anything yet. So better to be in right now then out.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: I'd rather they be not hyped and perform at a high level than hyped and not perform (which has happened more often than not).
I mean, do you really think anybody else here is going to disagree with this? You say it like you're taking some stand that nobody else is willing to take.

But its early May, someone put out a Top 25 poll for next season, why would you not want to be included on it rather then left out of it?

It doesn't matter to me if they're ranked in a mid-May preseason poll or not. Means nothing.

Why would you not want to be included? The same reason coaches don't like being ranked high. The players feel like they're big time, that they've arrived, etc. Heck, by being ranked in the pre-season some (on this board) might think that URI's program has finally arrived under Hurley. Basically, by URI getting ranked in the pre-season means that they're being anointed a status that they have yet to earn. And I stress earn.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: The same reason coaches don't like being ranked high.
Really? Coaches don't like being ranked high? Maybe if you're a shitty coach constantly wondering about what could go wrong next instead of working to improve your team. Good coaches keep their teams working towards their goals. I guarantee you that no team's end goal is becoming ranked. They are to win games, and to win championships. Rankings have nothing to do with that. It is up to the coaches and to the individual players to keep putting in the work to continually improve. Teams ranked in the top 25 don't all of a sudden stop working hard.
Last edited by sf2010 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Heck, by being ranked in the pre-season some (on this board) might think that URI's program has finally arrived under Hurley.
Also, literally no one has said this.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:

It doesn't matter to me if they're ranked in a mid-May preseason poll or not. Means nothing.

Why would you not want to be included? The same reason coaches don't like being ranked high. The players feel like they're big time, that they've arrived, etc. Heck, by being ranked in the pre-season some (on this board) might think that URI's program has finally arrived under Hurley. Basically, by URI getting ranked in the pre-season means that they're being anointed a status that they have yet to earn. And I stress earn.
I could make the opposite argument which is that teams ranked high in the pre-season are going to work that much harder to prove that they DO deserve that ranking. But this idea that players will "feel like they're big time" and immediately become complacent because of a pre-season ranking seems very far-fetched to me. Hurley and these players understand that it's time to shit or get off the pot. No more excuses. Just win!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:

And how exactly does one "earn" a spot in a top 25 poll for a season that has yet to start? Its not a top 25 based on how last year ended, its a top 25 based on what people think will happen this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm looking forward to the summer months and anticipating October more than any year since Jim Harrick
Looking forward to the preseason publications with RHODY in the Top 25
We want people in the seats and season tickets sold? Then you want these kinds of marketing tidbits
The players and coaches on this URI team are not going to relax and think they have arrived if ranked in Polls in April/May
Just the opposite in fact
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

adam914 wrote:And how exactly does one "earn" a spot in a top 25 poll for a season that has yet to start? Its not a top 25 based on how last year ended, its a top 25 based on what people think will happen this year.
You could actually say that Coach Hurley and staff have earned the pre-season Top25 based on their to-date roster building and demonstrated player development. That's what pre-season rankings are -- expectations based on demonstrated player, staff ability and new/added player contributions.

Clearly, experts who watch and analyze college hoops seem to agree that everything is in place to have a top-25 type of year.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
adam914 wrote:And how exactly does one "earn" a spot in a top 25 poll for a season that has yet to start? Its not a top 25 based on how last year ended, its a top 25 based on what people think will happen this year.
You could actually say that Coach Hurley and staff have earned the pre-season Top25 based on their to-date roster building and demonstrated player development. That's what pre-season rankings are -- expectations based on demonstrated player, staff ability and new/added player contributions.

Clearly, experts who watch and analyze college hoops seem to agree that everything is in place to have a top-25 type of year.
Exactly
And for URI it's about the additions but even more important is the absence of deletions. The entire starting 5 is back with 3 Senior Level and 2 Junior level players. How many teams can say that?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:

That's a good point. I guess I should say there is no way to earn it on the court at this point.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ATPTourFan wrote:

Thanks for making my point, boys. That being...pre-season polls are worthless. (They're based on hype, last year's results, freshmen who haven't even set foot on campus, returnees coming back from injury who we don't know a thing about, etc.)

And for the record, there are lots of coaches who have stated that they don't like high rankings especially early on...Izzo and Calipari come to mind
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: Thanks for making my point, boys. That being...pre-season polls are worthless. (They're based on hype, last year's results, freshmen who haven't even set foot on campus, returnees coming back from injury who we don't know a thing about, etc.)

And for the record, there are lots of coaches who have stated that they don't like high rankings especially early on...Izzo and Calipari come to mind
I don't know how many more ways this can be said, PM3. Preseason polls are projections, clearly based on lots of things that are hypothetical. Nearly every single one of them includes in the headline "way-too-early" or something like that to indicate that, obviously, they are to be taken with a grain of salt. They mean nothing once the real games start and teams step on the court. Everybody knows this, no one is disputing it, and you are not exactly breaking new ground in pointing it out.

However, pre-season polls are things that exist in the world of sports journalism. There is no getting away from them. Every major outfit and several minor ones will publish their own version. Basically they are the journalist's best guess based on varying criteria with varying degrees of accuracy in hindsight. Because they exist, it is better to be mentioned on them than not. It raises URI's national profile and provides some good press for the team during the off-season. Again, no one is saying that this matters more than the actual games.

I'm pretty sure Coach Cal and Izzo's opinions on the matter are coming from a pretty different place, one that URI is not in. They might indeed prefer to be pre-season #17 than pre-season #1, but the mental gymnastics and motivational techniques that they need to employ to reach their players are very different than the ones needed by Hurley. MSU and UK are recruiting kids who may actually think that they have "arrived" because they play for one of the best 5 programs in the country. URI does not have that "problem."
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:

Thanks for making my point, boys. That being...pre-season polls are worthless. (They're based on hype, last year's results, freshmen who haven't even set foot on campus, returnees coming back from injury who we don't know a thing about, etc.)

The funniest part of all this is that you are actually the only one making a big deal out of the preseason polls.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I love you guys! Team!!!
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Wake me if we're Top 25 at the end of February
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes it's great for the program to be included in these top 25 lists.

Like Rosie just said though, let's be on that list at the end of the regular season.

Just do it. Prove we can win the close ones for once.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nah,
We only want to be on the preseason lists.

What would we do without the constant reminders that these are preseason polls?

Maybe the preseason polls will help to awaken the sleepy, laid back, apathetic fans that take up a fair number of RC seats! Or get more young enthusiastic alums to buy Season Ticket packages :-)
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

URI fans are notoriously wait and see. If the teams looks good after 15 games, the RD fills up.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramblinrose wrote:URI fans are notoriously wait and see. If the teams looks good after 15 games, the RD fills up.
Almost all fan bases, except ones that are perennial powers, are wait and see. I don't think that's a behavior tendency unique to URI fans.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I suppose. UT there are whole seasons when it feels as if URI basketball is non-existent.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This coming season, we'll know soon after the start of it how good we might be.

We win the Mohegan tourney, then anything's possible.

Of course there's the flip side, but we'll see.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully we can avoid the injuries and the new additions fit in nicely then maybe we can stay top 25 for awhile
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rambone, there exists a scenario where we don't win the Mohegan Sun tourney and beat the #1 ranked team in the country (Duke) but still have a special season.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Ramblinrose wrote:Wake me if we're Top 25 at the end of February
Amen.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with this also. If we are top 25 at the end of February that will be more special
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Of course. Was that ever in doubt? Nobody was arguing the opposite.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wake me when its NCAA college basketball season.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

sf2010 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Heck, by being ranked in the pre-season some (on this board) might think that URI's program has finally arrived under Hurley.
Actually,...

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/the-rebu ... eason-poll

The exact words were, "the rebuild is complete." But that sure sounds like "finally arrived" to me.
Not sure we've arrived yet. And a preseason ranking, while not exactly a terrible thing, is not the be-all and end-all imo.
Let's win some games.
And then toot our horn.
Be nice if we could win on dec. 3.
Haven't beat the friars since 2010, in case anyone is keeping track.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rhodyrudder wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Actually,...

The exact words were, "the rebuild is complete." But that sure sounds like "finally arrived" to me.
Not sure we've arrived yet. And a preseason ranking, while not exactly a terrible thing, is not the be-all and end-all imo.
Let's win some games.
And then toot our horn.

so you're going with the intentionally obtuse path....

you think losing both of those 1st team all conference players (1 for the entire year and the other for half of it) had an impact? hell, finishing 7th and flirting with top 5 late in the season without both EC and Hassan goes to validate the pre-season claim you linked
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

What's obtuse about it?
Beat PC once.
Talk to me while I'm booking a trip in March.
We were ranked last year, or at least getting votes.
I'm happy to be ranked anytime, but a preseason poll
in May doesn't excite me the way it used to.
Reveal RHODE ISLAND on Selection Sunday, then win a game...
Now you're talking.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

March of 2017 finally the 18 year drought ends !!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Actually,...

Let's win some games.
And then toot our horn.
I'm not sure it's so much we are "tooting our own horn" as much as others are "tooting out horn" - big difference.
Been such a long time since this kind of environment last happened around here (18 long years since Jim Harrick) that it's nice to get some preseason publicity of any kind.

After last year's disastrous injuries to EC, HM, JG and KI I don't think anyone here is going to count their chickens too soon as we got burned already.

If some feel that Dan Hurley still hasn't proven himsel.......then to an extent that is true in that he has not made the NCAA yet or won an NCAA game yet, no doubt.
But it certainly looks like we are on the path to greatness to me. EC Mathews, Terrell, Iverson, Robinson were all Ranked HS Players. We are recruiting highly ranked players now. We have not had the pedigree of players at URI since the Jim Harrick years and especially the depth of pedigree players.
Bringing in Layssard, Langevine, Dowtin and Tertsea just deepens the bench strength and will make competition for playing time strong - making everyone better.
Sure the season needs to play out.
You can buy your season tickets now and your tickets to Mohegan Sun now.....or wait and see if this team is in fact something special and deserves a Top 15 preseason ranking
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Dec 3 will be perhaps the most "must win" non tournament game in the history of our program.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Or not. There are no must wins in college basketball in December, and just think about the Baron era that we've been discussing. How many games were there at the end of the regular season that if we won instead of it being counted as a bad loss would have changed our tournament fortunes? I can think of a handful of more important games just in Baron's tenure.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rhodyrudder wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Actually,...

Let's win some games.
And then toot our horn.
The context of the conversation was regarding the people on this board and their opinions. No one here ever said "Hurley has arrived" or "the rebuild is complete."
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Exactly. Obviously, it means nothing but it's as if we aren't even allowed to bring it up.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Dec 3 will be perhaps the most "must win" non tournament game in the history of our program.
Hyperbole much?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Ed should probably focus on his own team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Ed should probably focus on his own team.
Honestly, I like what he said, both for us and for him. It's more statewide hype for us, that's good. That's not why he said that, but it's a fine byproduct. More importantly for him, he's trying to get the pressure off of his team. There's already questions about how they can possibly deal with the losses of Dunn and Bentil, when he needs to get ready to reshape his team. He's just telling reporters, essentially, "why are you wasting your time kicking around us when URI is set to be such a big story." He doesn't need reporters around wasting his time, he needs to work with his team. In short, I feel he was focusing on his own team when he said that.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He's deflecting, and in doing so putting the pressure on Dan and Rhody. PR 101 - smart move by EC.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote:He's deflecting, and in doing so putting the pressure on Dan and Rhody. PR 101 - smart move by EC.
yep, and well-played
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think DH will do a good job preparing the team for all the pre season hype. I am not worried about it just hoping we stay injury free
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

bigappleram wrote:He's deflecting, and in doing so putting the pressure on Dan and Rhody. PR 101 - smart move by EC.
totally agree, smart move, Cooley is no fool, he knows these fan bases aren't always rational and many folks won't be rational about wins and loses post Bentil/Dunn anyway, nevermind if URI is getting the press while PC is struggling to maintain respectability.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Expect big things from Rams
It certainly looks as if 2016-17 is going to be the Year of the Rams.
Jim Donaldson
Providence Journal
05/25/16

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote:Expect big things from Rams
It certainly looks as if 2016-17 is going to be the Year of the Rams.
Jim Donaldson
Providence Journal
05/25/16

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
It's funny how in the PC Journal, even an article that is seemingly about URI, ends up being an article about PC.
0 x